Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Joey Mod PROPER MASKING AND PAINTING!

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      08-30-2004 06:46 PM #1
      Hi all,
      I have been asked several times exactly how I did my Joey mod on my Jetta headlamps. I got tired of explaining things to so many people, so I decided to write this DIY for all of you curious minds.

This is the second time I am performing Joey Mod on my headlamps and I am getting very very good at it. It is my second time because I received new headlamps from vdubbun with almost new lenses so I had to replace the headlamps..

I assume no responsibility with this DIY. This write-up is designed to be just a mere guide. Use it at your own risk and feel free to make any diversions from the DIY you like!

With that being said, lets begin:

TOOLS AND MATERIALS NEEDED:

1. A can of black spray paint. I recommed one that has enamel (glossy) and not flat black, but this is entirely your prefference. I have seen people color matching their headlamps to the rest of the car.
      2. Glad's Press-And-Seal Wrap
      3. Some tape and newspapers
      4. Exacto knife
      5. All weather outdoor clear silicone sealant!
      6. Empty oven

STEP 1 Removal:
      *Take off the front grill.
      *Take off the front bumper.
      *Take off the headlamps.

STEP 2 Heating the headlamps:
      *Take off the bulbs.
      *Take off all bulb covers.
      *Take off the two (per headlight) rubber drain hoses.
      *Take off the 4 (per headlight) metal retaining clips that hold the lens to the headlamp assembly.
      *Preheat your oven to 170-200 degrees Fahrenheit.
      *When the light in your oven turns off, open the oven and put your headlamps on the grill.
      *Make sure your lenses are NOT touching any part of the oven. It is easier to do one headlamp at a time!
      *Keep the headlamps inside for 60-90 seconds MAXIMUM! The goal here is NOT to bake them but to simply warm them enough so that the black seal between the lens and the assembly softens.
      *Take your headlamp out of the oven and carefully start prying off the lens from the assembly. TAKE YOUR TIME! Do not rush things.
      *Once you take off the first lens, put your other headlamp in the oven and repeat the procedure. Remember, preheated oven, not more than 90 seconds!

Here is how the headlamp looks like without the lens:

STEP 3 Proper Masking:
      *Cut a piece of Glad's Press-And-Seal wrap enough to cover in excess the front blinker light. *Press on the wrap making sure you are covering the whole glassy part of the blinker:

*CAREFULLY, run the exacto knife between the plastic housing and the actual blinker lens thus cutting the excess wrap:

*Remove the excess wrap by slowly pulling on it:

*Repeat the same procedure for the foglights. If you don't have forglights like me, the exacto knife trick still works. You just have to be little more carefull.
      *Here is how your masked little lights should look like:

Now for the main reflector:
      *Cut another piece of press-and-seal wrap, again bigger than the area that your are covering:

*Press on the edges of the reflector:

*Try not to kink or overlap the press-and-seal wrap!
      *Instead of cutting the excess away, simply fold it towards the center of the reflector. Use tape to hold the excess wrap in place.

*Check all edges on the reflector! You will mess things up if there is even a single hole in the masking!

STEP 4 Painting :
      *Shake your spray paint can for about a minute.
      *Test the can somewhere safe..
      *Make one pass trying to cover all the little nooks and crevices.
      *Let dry for about 5 minutes.
      *Apply another coat.
      *Wait another 5 minutes.

Now you can make as many coats as you feel like. I was happy with two. That way I made sure I covered all the hard to get to parts and at the same time there were no paint runs.

*Finally, let your headlamp dry for about 2-3 hours.
      *Remove the Glad's Press-And-Seal wrap.

STEP 5 Reassembling :

*After you made sure the paint is well cured, assemble your headlamps.
      *Apply silicone on all the edges between the lens and the housing.
      *Let the silicone cure for 30 minutes.
      *Press on the lenses and put back the 4 metal retaining clips!
      *Reassemble everything back.
      *Don't forget the little drain hoses. They should be pointing down, to the bottom of the headlamp.

Here is the final result:

STEP 6 Enjoy your work :

After reinstalling your headlamps, bumber and grill, grab some dark beer and enjoy your work!

Here is how my Jetka looks like after installing new headlamps (freshly joey modded) and being washed:

Modified by vasillalov at 8:14 PM 8-30-2004

Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

2. 08-30-2004 06:51 PM #2
      hmmm.......wonder if I should color match mine matchstick red.

Vehicles
      06 GTI UM Tuned
      08-30-2004 06:55 PM #3

glad press and seal now thats a good idea

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      08-30-2004 07:31 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by JettaGT8V80 »

glad press and seal now thats a good idea

That was the only way I can make sure that none of the silver reflective coating gets pealed off. Painter's tape seemed little too strong!

I just installed these and they look amazing!

Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Golf 2.0
      08-30-2004 07:44 PM #5
      awesome work- looks easy as hell too

::copies and pastes to microsoft word::

8 valves of pure hell...

6. 08-30-2004 08:28 PM #6

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6; 2006 GTI, 2011 Audi A4
      08-30-2004 08:32 PM #7
      yea that blue painters tape took off some of my chrome reflector crap. So i ruined a nice set of headlights and ended up ordering some ecodes anyway. i wish i never would have tried the joey mod. Bump for a good idea.

8. 08-30-2004 08:58 PM #8
      I used the Glad press and seal as well, however, I got a LITTLE bit of over spray in the reflective piece (still enough to make me mad) If I was to do it again Id use the glad everywhere and then use painters tape on the tight sections nice write up

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      08-30-2004 09:02 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by southshore1.8t »
      I used the Glad press and seal as well, however, I got a LITTLE bit of over spray in the reflective piece

There is a fix for that! I ran into the same problem when I was doing my first set of lights! Simply take an earbud and dip it into fingernail polish remover! It works like a charm!

10. 08-30-2004 09:14 PM #10
      Good write up! I might have to try this here soon

E

11. 08-30-2004 09:19 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Eric@AtLastImports »
      Good write up! I might have to try this here soon

E

same here but on oem hid lights

12. 08-30-2004 09:24 PM #12
      Covering up the lights suggestion:

What worked for me is finding a circular cap from a can of bug spray. It fit perfectly inside the circular lights to cover them up while painting.

great thread.

Vehicles
      06 GTI UM Tuned
      08-30-2004 09:54 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by vasillalov »
      That was the only way I can make sure that none of the silver reflective coating gets pealed off. Painter's tape seemed little too strong!

I just installed these and they look amazing!

yeah im gonna do mine but i have no idea when im nto good with tape and i knwo i would mess it up so the press and seal is a good idea

08-30-2004 10:14 PM #14
      looks good.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      08-31-2004 12:47 AM #15
      Get up there!!

Vehicles
      Golf 02
      08-31-2004 09:43 AM #16
      Added to my favorite

Gonna do it during winter time, Thx Man i wanst sure how to proceed

17. 08-31-2004 11:52 AM #17
      so just regular spray paint? You dont need anything special, or Primer?

E

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      08-31-2004 11:56 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by Eric@AtLastImports »
      so just regular spray paint? You dont need anything special, or Primer?

E

No need of primer since the inside of your headlamps is VERY clean and spot free. I used $1.79 outdoor paint spray with enamel from WalMart in both sets of headlamps that I did and it works excellent. You won't need clearcoat either since there is nothing to scratch or blemish the pain (once you reseal the headlights)

19. 08-31-2004 12:57 PM #19
      that special plastic spray paint?

E

Vehicles
      MKV R32-daily, 2012 Tiguan-wifes, 78-diesel & 79-16v Rabbits
      08-31-2004 02:37 PM #20
      for my golf i used a compass & cut out cardboard templetes and put them in where the lights are so that i wouldnt take off any of the chrome paint... worked great for me

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      08-31-2004 03:09 PM #21
      Nope,
      regular outdoor black paint. I simply picked one that has enamel in it so it would look glossy rather than flat black.

Just pick your favourite can of spray paint from Walmart.

22. 08-31-2004 03:20 PM #22
      sweet write-up

23. 08-31-2004 05:45 PM #23
      doing mine tonight, and ill post pics tomorow.

E

08-31-2004 05:55 PM #24
      Iv'e seen this a million times and have always wondered, doesn't the heat form the bulb warp/bubble or discolor the paint?

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      08-31-2004 07:09 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by GTI-VRT »
      Iv'e seen this a million times and have always wondered, doesn't the heat form the bulb warp/bubble or discolor the paint?

Nope, no problem. Don't forget that:
      1. You are not painting the reflectors themselves.
      2. The reflectors already have a silver paint on them which had to be sprayed on!
      3. The headlamps can breathe through the 4 little drain hoses that they have (2 per headlamp).

So really I don't think that you will be damaging the paint. At least there are no recorded complaints about it!

26. 08-31-2004 08:09 PM #26
      I got flat black paint, and its going on my Silverstone GTi.....hope it looks good..

E

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      09-01-2004 02:43 AM #27
      Up there!

Vehicles
      B6 S4, '00 CBR 929, 64 Pontiac Lemans
      09-01-2004 02:51 AM #28
      Hey, is there a way to switch out those ugly amber turn signal lenses? My sister just got a Jetta and hers came with the clear signal lenses on her headlights. I noticed when i dissassembled my headlight, behind it (after i removed that plastic cover to reach the bulbs) there is some sort of screw and harness holding that amber lense in place. So, is it possible for me to switch, kinda like just unscrew on and screw on the other?
      "If no one has been offended by what you have done, you need a larger audience."

29. 09-01-2004 09:16 AM #29
      awesome write up, thx for sharing the tip!!

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      09-02-2004 08:52 PM #30
      bump for those that missed it!

31. 09-08-2004 04:27 AM #31
      I too would like to know.. hoping to attempt this joey mod friday and would like to know if it's possible to replace the signal lens inside the housing. please let us know..

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      09-08-2004 10:52 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by phattbam »
      I too would like to know.. hoping to attempt this joey mod friday and would like to know if it's possible to replace the signal lens inside the housing. please let us know..

Yes, I believe it is possible because the lense does not appear to be glued. However, on the Jetta headlamps, you will find it overly tedious as you need to take apart the entire assembly. There are some bolts inside that are almost impossible to reach. You will definitely need a flexible screwdriver of some kind.

Also, have you found a replacement lens? I have not see anybody offering this item.

33. 09-08-2004 11:00 AM #33
      Here is how mine turned out

E

34. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      09-08-2004 11:26 AM #34
      Tint the turn signal (VHT nightshades) and paint over the chrome dummy lense...

Makes it a bit more original.

Vehicles
      12 Beetle Turbo
      09-08-2004 11:45 AM #35

I Love your car. Nice and suddle, but noticably different. One of my favs.

http://www.4everkustoms.com/
      Polishing | Powder Coating | Plating | BALLER STATUS

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast