Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: EPC light, what does it mean?

1. 09-08-2004 02:57 PM #1
      The letters "EPC" are lit up on my instrument panel, by the tachometer.
      The light goes on and off intermittantly.

What does this mean?

Vehicles
      2011 BMW M3 Coupe
      09-08-2004 02:59 PM #2
      something about emissions...it has to do with the MAF

Vehicles
      2006 GTI
      09-08-2004 03:01 PM #3
      does it go on while ur driving...because when u first start the car all of those notifications light up..its normal. not normal whislt you are driving tho...vag-com

Vehicles
      2011 BMW M3 Coupe
      09-08-2004 03:09 PM #4
      ya if it doesn't go off then it is the MAF...take it to the dealer

5. 09-08-2004 03:12 PM #5
      Does it run Rough? It could be your MAF but it could also be your Ignition Coil Pack. I would bring it to the dealer though to make sure.

6. 09-08-2004 04:13 PM #6
      The light does stay on after driving. The car does run fine, no problems at all.
      Is this something that could wait a few weeks, or can it do damage if not treated ASAP?

thanks

7. 09-08-2004 04:32 PM #7
      Does it go off after a while? I know I'm having this problem right now I also have a disabled ASR light on as well after my EPC light comes on and my car runs rough. I'm going to replace my coil pack today well in about 30 mins and see if that fixes my issue. If not time for a new MAF and see what that does. Does your car run rough? if so it could be a coiil pack issue

8. 09-08-2004 06:03 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by Varangians »
      The light does stay on after driving. The car does run fine, no problems at all.
      Is this something that could wait a few weeks, or can it do damage if not treated ASAP?

thanks

Well Mine would come on then go off after a while. I fit stays on you might want to take it to the dealer. I know mine was a coil Pack I just came back from replacing it. No more lights and a smoother ride now. It stinks having to install the thing in the rain and while you are in a rush.

9. 09-08-2004 06:24 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by 2ndTimesACharm »
      something about emissions...it has to do with the MAF

No EPC means Electronic Pedal Control. Doesn't deal with emissions. Its tied into your cruise control and brake lights switch.

10. 09-08-2004 06:46 PM #10
      Ah no, I believe it meand Emergency Power control. in the Manual it says if it blinks you need to stop and pull over and get a tow. If it comes on you might get reduced engine power. I know you could feel it because mine came on all the time then went off. I'm hoping I fixed my problem with my new coil.

11. 09-08-2004 06:52 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by typoon »
      Ah no, I believe it meand Emergency Power control.

Nope, electronic pedal control, or electronic power control. Its mostly refferd as pedal control. Also has to do with the position of the gas pedal.

Modified by CorradoG60 at 6:57 PM 9-8-2004

Vehicles
      1998 Cabrio | 2001 M3
      09-09-2004 02:52 AM #12
      Yes, and it's "...a system containing all components that contribute to determining, regulating and monitoring the throttle valve position (e.g. accelerator pedal position sensor, throttle valve control module, Electronic Power Control (EPC) warning lamp, Engine Control Module)."

Sounds complex...