Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY - Pressure testing your intake - Find Vacuum Leaks

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      09-01-2011 03:20 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by erevlydeux View Post
      Did this for the first time ever tonight. Ended up finding two leaks that were making my car idle like ****: bumpy idle, engine shaking, all as the ECU/TB hunted for the optimum amount of air.

Things to note:

- A B&M's Baked Beans cans works great. It takes a little squeezing, but it fits perfectly in a Forge TIP... no need for a clamp.
      - If you have a big compressor, like a standup 25 gal or something, without an accurate regulator, just give it enough air until you hear the tubing pressurize. Give it slightlyyy more if you don't hear anything, but not much more. You'll blow off your tester.
      - Make sure you clamp the hose coming from the PCV port/hockey puck so you don't pressurize the crank case. If you already have done the SAI/EVAP/PCV delete, folding your catch-can-to-hockey-puck hose in half and using a pair of vice grips works great.

I ended up having a ripped vacuum cap on one of the nipples on the underside of the intake manifold: tightened the worm clamp too much. I just put a cap that fit veryyy snug and omitted the worm clamp. We'll see how it holds up. I also had a small leak from one of the vacuum lines that goes to the bottom of the TIP near the turbo inlet. I used a screw and clamp at the open end and the screw was too small so it was leaking out. Got a bigger nut, screwed it in and snugged the clamp down tight... voila, no more leaks!
      FYI...the tiny worm clamps like to tear little hoses and stuff. For those, the one-use crimp ear clamps are much better. Alternatively, these are good clamps too (and are reusable)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hose-and-tube-clamps/=dvag21
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      2004 hunk' o metal
      09-01-2011 06:23 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      FYI...the tiny worm clamps like to tear little hoses and stuff. For those, the one-use crimp ear clamps are much better. Alternatively, these are good clamps too (and are reusable)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hose-and-tube-clamps/=dvag21
      I have a lot of snap clamps.. just not ones that are the right size, unfortunately.

3. 03-26-2012 09:35 AM #38
      I know you posted this in 2000, however, it still very good. I have a basic question and I am knew to this forum and how to search thru it for the possible.

I rigged up a very good pressure adapter, complete with a shrader valve and gauge. However, without a picture or better description, I am having difficulty with " Clamp off the PCV line from the block/valve cover to the intake boot."

I have tried several hoses clamped, to no avail, as I keep the oil cap on but loose and it chatters from the pressure in the crankcase. I have just about given up but thought I would give this a try, asking the original person who wrote it up.

I have a 2002, 1.8l Turbo Jetta, GLS. Can you help or anyone else?

Thanks,

grake05

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      03-26-2012 09:56 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by grake05 View Post
      I know you posted this in 2000, however, it still very good. I have a basic question and I am knew to this forum and how to search thru it for the possible.

I rigged up a very good pressure adapter, complete with a shrader valve and gauge. However, without a picture or better description, I am having difficulty with " Clamp off the PCV line from the block/valve cover to the intake boot."

I have tried several hoses clamped, to no avail, as I keep the oil cap on but loose and it chatters from the pressure in the crankcase. I have just about given up but thought I would give this a try, asking the original person who wrote it up.

I have a 2002, 1.8l Turbo Jetta, GLS. Can you help or anyone else?

Thanks,

grake05
      Use a pair of hose pliers right behind the prv ( hockey puck)
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

5. 03-26-2012 10:01 AM #40
      Here is the original write-up with pics....
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2692757

6. 03-26-2012 11:24 AM #41
      Thank you, I give it a go.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 R32 w/ HPA FT400 w/ UM tune - '95GTIVR6 - '02 TTQuattro
      05-20-2012 03:03 AM #42
      I just made one of these pressure testers for my 2002 audi tt quattro. I found three leaks, cracked hoses all connected to the intake manifold which caused a check engine light, all small splits, Replaced the hoses, cleared the code, car runs great, no check engine light.

Thanks for this thread !

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      05-20-2012 03:33 PM #43
      this should be a sticky

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.

Vehicles
      German, American, Jap'erican
      10-21-2012 04:10 PM #44
      Decent little video by Eric the car guy on how to find a vac leak. I think many people could benefit from watching his videos, They cover many, many things we talk about here.

Here's the video
      PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON
      *THE PANDIT PROJECT(click me!)

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      11-27-2012 06:33 PM #45
      Nice boost leak tester

http://www.turboboostleaktesters.com...%22/Categories

Choose the appropriate size for your MAF
      My Build

Vehicles
      05' VW GLI
      12-08-2012 11:55 PM #46
      ^^ nice tester - same price as the ones from frozenboost but has a gauge

I finally made time to pressure test my intake system today & didn't find any bad hoses or connections but I could hear a bubbling sound through the open oil cap… like when a kid blows through his chocolate milk straw.

Background: full EVAP delete with crankcase and valve covers VTA - no catch can at the moment as it was filling up faster than I burn through a tank of gas. Engine oil is the proper colour and I don't have to add any between changes…

Seems pretty weird, any ideas
      KO3 @ 30psi...

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      12-09-2012 01:20 AM #47
      Fyi.

People, use regulated pressure. Not bottle pressure
      My Build

Vehicles
      05' VW GLI
      12-09-2012 09:05 AM #48
      Fyi.

People, use regulated pressure. Not bottle pressure
      My compressor has two regulators - one for the tank and one for the lines.
      KO3 @ 30psi...

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      12-09-2012 12:33 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by All_Euro View Post
      My compressor has two regulators - one for the tank and one for the lines.
      Exactly.

One gauge will say let's say... 150 PSI. That's bottle/ tank pressure.

One gauge you will adjust to say... 10 PSI. That's regulated pressure.
      My Build

Vehicles
      05' VW GLI
      12-09-2012 04:07 PM #50
      Exactly.

One gauge will say let's say... 150 PSI. That's bottle/ tank pressure.

One gauge you will adjust to say... 10 PSI. That's regulated pressure.
      Haha - I didn't mean to give the impression that I was using an unregulated air source… or that I didn't know which each regulator on the compressor was for… good review for anyone who's unsure though

Judging by how fast my CC was filling up - I'm thinking the bubbling sound may be from water in the side-mount IC… I'll head over to my friend's garage and see what I can find.

Edit: Well that was wishful thinking… got a little oil out of the side-mount but that's it. The search continues...
      Last edited by All_Euro; 12-09-2012 at 10:51 PM.
      KO3 @ 30psi...

Vehicles
      07' A8 4.2L, 83' Rabbit 1.8T swap, Bagged 05' GLI ( sold)
      09-06-2013 05:33 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by All_Euro View Post
      I finally made time to pressure test my intake system today & didn't find any bad hoses or connections but I could hear a bubbling sound through the open oil cap… like when a kid blows through his chocolate milk straw.
      I am having this same bubbling from the valve covers oil cap opening when i test mine.
      Did you ever find out what it was?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12