Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1999 passat 1.8T,premium or regular unleaded gas?

1. 10-01-2004 11:07 PM #1
      Hi,being a newbie to VW I will have lots of ?'s so here goes....Can I burn Regular unleaded gasoline (87 octane)in my 1.8T or does it need to be premium ?( ? octane).

2. 10-01-2004 11:32 PM #2
      You need premium, it calls for 91 octane which around me is hard to come by, so sometimes if Im feeling cheap I will do have a tank of 89 and half a tank 93....but usually do 93 octane

Enjoy the car and welcome to the club

3. 10-02-2004 08:05 AM #3
      You can run regular in your car because the knock sensors will retard the spark . However you will lose power and gas mileage so as far as real world economy goes premium is the way to go .

4. 10-02-2004 11:57 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by mayte »
      You can run regular in your car because the knock sensors will retard the spark . However you will lose power and gas mileage so as far as real world economy goes premium is the way to go .

Correct. A client of mine did a test on his 2000 Passat 1.8T.

He ran three tanks of Regular unleaded, and three tanks of Premium.

He tracked the weather, miles, and style of driving for each, and found that the premium actually ended up costing him about 2 cents less per gallon due to the increase in economy, and the power difference made him less likely to use more throttle to accelerate.

Talk about anal...

5. 10-02-2004 12:03 PM #5
      Wow, you Passat guys are much more...calm than the Jetta/Golf guys. This gas/octane thread goes on forever over there and ends up in flame wars most of the time.

I am lurking over here because I am considering a Passat for my wife soon.

Any way, the 91/93 octane gas is essential for the 1.8T because of the compression ratio when the motor is on boost. It goes WAY up and, if the engine computer senses knocking and retards the spark to prevent pre-ignition you completely lose the benefit of having a turbo and end up with a normal 1.8 motor, which is kinda sucky IMO.

Other than that, does the 1.8T seem to have enough "oomph" for a Passat with 4 people in it? Wifey wants a V6 because she thinks the 1.8 is a "small" motor and won't pull her and the kids around well enough.

6. 10-02-2004 12:27 PM #6
      I usually put in the 89 or 90 octane. Regular is 87 around here. Mine runs fine with 31 mpg on the highway at 75mph.

The 1.8T has plenty of oomph for me.

7. 10-02-2004 12:30 PM #7
      A wife talking here...have her test drive the 1.8t and then ask her if it doesn't have enough oomph....LOVE my car!

Modified by Valtog at 9:51 AM 10-2-2004

8. 10-02-2004 12:38 PM #8
      The V6 is certainly less coarse in feel and sound than the 1.8T, but both engines make about the same amount of torque. If she wants real oomph, have her try the TDI, that thing pulls like a V8!!

As far as the fuel, "what they said". Regular is OK, premium is best.

9. 10-02-2004 09:44 PM #9
      Plenty of oomph....runs like a scalded cat. you can run it up to 100mph, hit cruise control, and get 28mpg. Slow down to 75-80 and get 33.4mpg. This is on level ground at 5000 feet altitude. Have no idea what happens at sea level.

PS: The mileage figures are achieved on deserted, little traveled desert roads (paved, of course) with not stop-n-go stuff.

10. 10-05-2004 02:36 AM #10
      It depends really, if your the type of person who LOVES his/her car, and if you have any mods, such as intake, exhaust, chipp....turbo MOD, than 91 octane or higher is a must...Anthing less would be uncivilized..........