Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anyone a firefighter?

1. 10-07-2004 02:43 AM #1
      Just curious if anyone here is a firefighter.

How you got started, what you had to do, etc. My buddy and I were going to do that for a few years after school, his dad's in a local batt. and knows the ropes I guess.

Anyway, for stories.

Attention! I shoot basketball from the front row. I spend hundreds of dollars for expensive tickets. I smuggle in long, expensive cameras and lenses, and security doesn't even bat an eye. That's right. I'm special. All because I want to sell you a 50mm 1.8 lens so you can be just as cool. Have a good day.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW X3
      10-07-2004 04:55 PM #2
      Not a firefighter yet...going to school to get my paramedic license but take a look in this post it has some really good information...i think that it covers most of the ?'s you might have, if not just through them up.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1558522
      -jason

Modified by SlvrGTi1.8T at 3:56 PM 10-7-2004

3. 10-08-2004 12:20 AM #3
      Ive been a Firefigher for 5 years, and i love my career. You get involved and it becomes more than a job. Its alot of hard training but the pay check it all worth it. Just if you do start, become a professional. Dont act like most volunteers and act like it will get you laid because IT WONT. Its a great job, take pride in it. As far as starting out its just like any other job. Fill out a application and get hired

4. 10-08-2004 01:49 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by BeachBumJettaBoy »
      Ive been a Firefigher for 5 years, and i love my career. You get involved and it becomes more than a job. Its alot of hard training but the pay check it all worth it. Just if you do start, become a professional. Dont act like most volunteers and act like it will get you laid because IT WONT. Its a great job, take pride in it. As far as starting out its just like any other job. Fill out a application and get hired

Honestly I dindt even think of using it to get me laid.

Im just not real clear on how to start. Do I have to go to the schools first, or can I just go apply and start?

Attention! I shoot basketball from the front row. I spend hundreds of dollars for expensive tickets. I smuggle in long, expensive cameras and lenses, and security doesn't even bat an eye. That's right. I'm special. All because I want to sell you a 50mm 1.8 lens so you can be just as cool. Have a good day.

5. 10-08-2004 09:24 AM #5
      A lot of municipalities have testing regimens that they use to evaluate potential fire fighters. A friend of mine got his start as a volunteer, did that for a couple of years while working a full-time high tech manufacturing job, and then started applying for full-time fire fighting jobs and eventually got a position with the Cambridge, Ontario fire department.
      I think the most important thing that you need to worry about is your fitness. I believethat if you pass the physical testing, you'll be trained in everything else you'll need to know.

6. 10-08-2004 11:15 PM #6
      What he said is a good view on the matter. You will most likely have to take a physical test but it wont be anything u cant do. Just go and apply at the local city hall or county org. and they should get u started. And i was just kiddin about the getting laid part.

7. 10-09-2004 05:45 PM #7
      Also now that i think about it. Alot of your BIGGER departments who hold a Class 1 ISO will make you take a CPAC test. Its a physical test meant to push the human body to a pretty exhasted state. But dont worry man u can do it just put your mind to it. But again getting started is a easy task, just go by a station and introduce yourself and tell them what your wanting to do and they will help you 100% if not there not much of a firefighter

8. 10-10-2004 01:16 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by BeachBumJettaBoy »
      Also now that i think about it. Alot of your BIGGER departments who hold a Class 1 ISO will make you take a CPAC test. Its a physical test meant to push the human body to a pretty exhasted state. But dont worry man u can do it just put your mind to it.

Do you mean CPAT - Candidate Physical Ability Test? I've written a couple of articles about that for the fire fighters union mag I edit and it does look like a b****.

9. 10-10-2004 04:53 PM #9
      Yes you are correct, CPAT is the name for it, i had a few drinks at the point i wrote that. The first 3 mins of the test is hard being you have to use a stepmaster for 3 mins with 70 ibls straped to you and you cant fall off. other than that it is pretty simple. AND YOU SHOULD ALL GO SEE LADDER 49. i give it 5 stars. much better and realistic than Backdraft

Vehicles
      Mk4 VR6, Mk3 GLX (RIP), Mk2 GLI, Mk1 Rabbit, B5 S4, 03 Mustang , 66 Nova SS, 65 Impala, 95 Ranger
      05-02-2012 03:52 PM #10
      Woah dude this threads mad old lol.
      But on a side note, im a volunteer firefighter and extra ambulance crew member
      VSC Tuning
      Offroad Rig
      Quote Originally Posted by scirockalot8v View Post
      Plastidip the world.

Vehicles
      VR6 JET
      05-06-2012 02:33 PM #11
      Definitely an old thread, but wondering how the original poster is doing. I recently got my emt basic and now looking at paramedic school and an academy. Jason you still testing in Chicago suburbs?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      10-27-2013 11:10 AM #12
      Yea, this is an old thread but thought it's worth adding to. I've been training to become a volunteer firefighter at our department. While I don't plan on making a career out of it due to my age, I wanted to to do something to help our community. We live in a huge wildfire prone environment and have one of, if not the largest all volunteer fire department in Colorado. Some pics for clicks:

Ventilation Training

Ladder Training:

Can you say pucker?

Let me know if you have questions, while I'm no expert I'm learning a ton.

35' Ladders are no fun.

Wildland firefighter training:

Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      That looks nothing like jizz. And i've seen a fair amount of jizz in my time.

Vehicles
      Not approved by TCL
      10-28-2013 03:29 PM #13
      ^^

Great pics.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      TCLers bitching about braking performance being subpar on a track is laughable. Most of you wouldn't have a pair of stones big enough or the skills to fade the brakes on a Prius.

In before the autocross brigade of armchair quarterbacks chime in.

Vehicles
      Audi A4 1.8TQM Motorcycle: Ducati Sport 1000
      10-29-2013 12:47 AM #14
      Trying to get into this career as well. I've been a VW technician for 12 years and enjoy it, but have had this crazy idea for 5 years that I belong in an engine or truck company. I'd be a 3rd generation legacy with LAFD if I had my way. Went back to school, took some fire science courses, CPAT training, and used my vacation time at work this year to attend an accelerated EMT program that kicked my ASS for 3 weeks. I'm the hiring process with LA City Fire Dept., waiting for my interview date. Towers are full for '13, but they're picking from our candidate pool for the next 1-2 years supposedly. Gonna try and get in an academy at a local college and hope it gives me some brownie points over all these military medics applying, sheesh!
      - 2008 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 Biposto -
      Termignoni race exhaust/ no baffles
      Race ECU software with O2 manipulator
      FLEDA Legacy tail light with tucked plate
      WASP Works/Ohlins steering dampener

15. Member
      Vehicles
      10-29-2013 07:23 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by JDub713 View Post
      Trying to get into this career as well. I've been a VW technician for 12 years and enjoy it, but have had this crazy idea for 5 years that I belong in an engine or truck company. I'd be a 3rd generation legacy with LAFD if I had my way. Went back to school, took some fire science courses, CPAT training, and used my vacation time at work this year to attend an accelerated EMT program that kicked my ASS for 3 weeks. I'm the hiring process with LA City Fire Dept., waiting for my interview date. Towers are full for '13, but they're picking from our candidate pool for the next 1-2 years supposedly. Gonna try and get in an academy at a local college and hope it gives me some brownie points over all these military medics applying, sheesh!
      From my understanding it is difficult to get in with any major city FD. Most of the firefighters here work in Denver or even Colorado Springs full time. Sounds like you are going about the right way. Good luck!

10-29-2013 09:20 AM #16
      You think 35 foot ladders are no fun? Texas A&M fire academy has a 60 footer, and a 75 foot extension ladder. Been up on the tip of both, and it just sucks.

As far as it being difficult to get into the fire service, it can be. It's very competitive. Fort Worth has a few thousand people show up to test. When I was looking, even smaller departments picking up 1 person would have 50-60 people show up to test.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      10-29-2013 10:19 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by VDubby18 View Post
      You think 35 foot ladders are no fun? Texas A&M fire academy has a 60 footer, and a 75 foot extension ladder. Been up on the tip of both, and it just sucks.
      I'll choose the tower truck over those.

10-29-2013 11:52 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by CO Boy View Post
      I'll choose the tower truck over those.
      I love ladders, not sure why, but I do. I swear those things have like a foot of flex to them as your making your way up. My station has a 105 foot ladder truck. It's a monster of a truck.

Vehicles
      Small frosty
      11-09-2013 12:34 AM #19
      For anyone looking to do it..don't. The process is long and things get worse as you keep trying. There will always be others getting in through experience, friends, family and race. Wasted 5 years of my life trying to get in, hundreds of hours studying and training, 1000's of $dollars wasted traveling all over and missed days of work. There are indeed one test wonders but they're few and far between.
      Edit Signature

20. Member
      Vehicles
      11-19-2013 10:53 PM #20
      Our first live fire training in the new burn house. Was a blast! We have another one this weekend.

21. 11-21-2013 03:08 PM #21
      Very cool pics!

I just got accepted as a sub on our local volunteer fire department. I begin training in January. I'm an old mofo (44), but the department favours stable people who are going to stay in the community rather than young guys who will bust off to a city department the first chance they get. It's because I love my community that I decided to have a go at it.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      11-21-2013 09:06 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      Very cool pics!

I just got accepted as a sub on our local volunteer fire department. I begin training in January. I'm an old mofo (44), but the department favours stable people who are going to stay in the community rather than young guys who will bust off to a city department the first chance they get. It's because I love my community that I decided to have a go at it.
      I'm 41 and we have plenty of 40+ probes training. Age doesn't matter, heart does.

23. 11-22-2013 04:42 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by CO Boy View Post
      I'm 41 and we have plenty of 40+ probes training. Age doesn't matter, heart does.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      01-06-2014 07:25 PM #24
      So after a lot of training, I and our class passed firefighter 1 in Colorado. Tonight we start hazmat, which a lot of people fail. A month of hazmat, then first responder and finally rescue. Lastly we may or may not get voted in.