Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Signs of a heater core going bad?

Vehicles
      2006 GTI, 1984 GTI, 1977 911S
      10-14-2004 01:25 AM #1
      I have been losing a small amount of coolant and twice now it has lost enough that I have had the low coolant light come on. Now I know the heater cores in these were recalled, but I have no idea if mine was replaced or not. I didn't even think about this till today when I got out of my car and noticed a bit of water under the gas pedal, like brownish water. (Didn't smell like coolant because of my coonat leaking it's mostly water now till i fix the problem) It's been suggested that my problem is a head gasket but I am starting to think otherwise. Anybody else want to chime in?

2. 10-14-2004 02:27 AM #2
      If you noticed the water on the floorboard and it appears to be coolant, then you probably have a bad heater core. If you have the time, you can bypass the heater core by connecting the inlet and outlet heater hoses together and see if you are still losing coolant.

3. 10-14-2004 08:11 AM #3
      If you are losing as much coolant as you say I would doubt its the heater core at fault. With the system under pressure when hot, your car would fill with steam and make it hard not to notice. The core may still be the culprit but even with low antifreeze ratio the smell of antifreeze in the cabin would still be very noticable.

Vehicles
      10-14-2004 11:06 AM #4
      Well the reason i checked something last night was because of the smell i was smelling. And when I say that I've gotten the low coolant light coming on twice... it took maybe more than a month between the first time the light came on and the second time. That's one very slow leak. (just the volume of the coolant expansion tank is what leaked out) So would a slow leak sound mroe like a heater core or head gasket?

5. 10-14-2004 11:23 AM #5
      I would check the inlet/outlet housings coming out of the engine block. Mine failed on the scirocco and had to replace one. Look on the engine block or around it for antifreeze crystals. I am betting you have a leak at the inlet or outlet.

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      10-14-2004 12:23 PM #6
      Leaking heater core....wet carpet and smell of coolant inside the car.
      WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition
      Harry Puckett R.I.P. 01-24-2010. You are gone too soon. We had races
      to race, jokes to tell, laughter to share, and cold beers to drink.

Vehicles
      10-14-2004 04:56 PM #7
      It's getting worse... and the inside this morning fogged up HARDCORE... i had to drive with the windows down and freeze my friggin niblets off. I'm going to bypass the heater core for now. Anybody know what the inner diameter of those hoses are?

8. 10-31-2004 11:43 AM #8
      not sure if you still need to know, but from the head the hose is 5/8" and goes to 3/4". The other hose is standard 3/4" staight through.