Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phaeton OEM DVD Player Installation - option code YCM

Vehicles
      VW Phaeton V10
      11-23-2009 02:16 PM #36
      You'll need a small wiring harnass which plugs in to the big connector on the tv tuner in the trunk. It can be ordered from Kufatec here.

2. 11-23-2009 02:51 PM #37
      Hi Jim,

Thanks for that. I can get that wiring harness from a shop near here, they are absolutely brilliant with all things wires and cables.

I will dig through the car and find the connector.

Vehicles
      VW Phaeton V10
      11-23-2009 04:15 PM #38
      Quote, originally posted by iberkoko »
      I will dig through the car and find the connector.

It's not difficult to find, there's only one big connector going into the tv tuner. You'll have to lower the electronics shelf in the trunk to get to it, though. Once you lower the shelf, the tuner is clearly visible on the right.

Last edited by PanEuropean; 10-06-2012 at 04:17 AM.

4. 12-08-2009 01:11 PM #39
      Hi Jim, and others,

You know it's easy to follow forums and not actually try stuff!

Today I sat in the front of my car and saw that the screen there (The J523 or whatever it is) has AV as an input option. I selected it and right away saw the same DVD menu that was on the rear seat enterntainment screens.

So on a whim I went back and played around and sure enough you can watch TV in the back and the front, or TV on one in the back and also watch whatever is on in the back in the front. All this without a single cable...

I guess the previous owner did that.

Happy though!!

Cheers,

Iain

Vehicles
      3.0 Tdi & Kawasaki Eliminator
      12-09-2009 01:00 AM #40
      Thats how they work when they are factory fitted.

Tony

6. 12-09-2009 03:27 AM #41
      I fitted rear DVD system that Plastech & Michael removed from a dismanteled Phaeton. Overall it was not that difficult as the looms were fully intact. All the interface with the car (audio & video, in & out) is done via the TV tuner module which has a series of Audio & Video in/ audio out available on the spare pinnouts in the TV module.

So in summary if you have the TV module you can reproduce the factory behaviour given the time & patience. As this vital cable was lost in the removal from the original my interface is limited ( I have the Audio from DVD connected to the spound system in the car via TV tuner and that OK for me.
      The TV module pin diagram is on the forum.

Regards
      Hugh

Vehicles
      05 Phaeton V10 TDi LWB, 09 Passat 2.0 TDi 140 Highline, 06 A8 3.0 TDi, 04 Golf TDi, 04 A6 V6 TDi CVT
      01-07-2010 03:44 AM #42
      Does anyone have the part numbers for that Alpine remote? Also, would the Bentley Flying Spur RSE remote work with the system?

8. 01-07-2010 11:12 AM #43
      P/N of Alpine Remote in mine is P/N RUE-4168

At one stage I thought this was faulty and there were several on e-bay at the time. It turned out there was a poor connection on the remote in on the DVD changer in the boot.

On a separate issue, as I retrofitted the factory fit DVD system, I did not get the wireless headphones. Can someone give me the P/N for these. How is the signal transmitted to these headphones? In retrofitting the system there was no component that appeared to be a transmitter of any type, or no dangling wires!
      Only possibility is it was a further option OR the transmission is a function in the display module (highly unlikely I think...)

Regards
      Hugh

Modified by IrishPhaeton at 8:14 AM 1-7-2010

Vehicles
      VW Phaeton V10
      01-07-2010 03:03 PM #44
      Quote, originally posted by IrishPhaeton »
      Only possibility is it was a further option OR the transmission is a function in the display module (highly unlikely I think...)

In the aftermarket units, the sound is transmitted by an infrared bar below each screen. Don't know how the OEM units do this, weren't they wired?

Vehicles
      3.0 Tdi & Kawasaki Eliminator
      01-07-2010 04:10 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by iberkoko »

Thanks for that. I imagine it has been answered, but where is the input on the infotainment system?

Thanks,

Iain

The input is in the TV module if you have the factory DVD located under the parcel shelve
      If you have the factory fitted DVD system there a cable that links the DVD and TV.
      This is the cable that links them.

Hugh if you look at your TV module you will find a socket on the side.
      Standard TV module does not have this.

Tony

Last edited by PanEuropean; 10-06-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      01-07-2010 07:47 PM #46
      Hugh:

I'm almost certain that I have that cable somewhere. Let me go look for it.

Michael

12. 01-08-2010 05:15 AM #47
      OK, I had a closer look at the original Phaeton Manual Supplement for the rear DVD system and it makes no reference to wireless headphones. It clearly shows wired headphones as the units supplied. Also the installed display (Alpine TME-M750) make no reference to IR transmission of audio, so I think this must all relate to more recent units. The documentation suggests the DVD system I have may have been removed from a 2004/2005 Phaeton.

Michael, if you do come across that cable it would be excellent! I will send you a PM.
      Hugh

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-06-2012 04:20 AM #48
      Photos re-hosted.

Michael
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael

14. Junior Member
      10-30-2012 05:23 PM #49
      This looks like something that would be nice to have for the back seat passengers. However, wouldn't the wiring be monumental? You would somehow have to get the signals to the seats which seems like it would be taking most of the car apart.

Jim - you have ordered the headrest screens. Did you already have wiring there?

Has anyone done this with a car without the TV tuner, and if so, how much expense and work was it?

15. Junior Member
      10-31-2012 11:50 AM #50
      Jim:

I see these are about 1600 euros. Unfortunately, I can not read German, but I believe that only includes the headrests?

The wiring as well as the interior controls and rear DVD player would all be additional?

Did you ever install these? I do not have the TV tuner and so probably do not have any required wiring. How difficult was it to run the wiring from these headrests?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morris View Post
      If anyone is interested in retrofitting these screens to their Phaeton, they can be ordered from Kufatec here. They sell the same OEM headrests also used by VW Individual (but not the dvd player).

I've just ordered them, may take a few days to get them in my specific interior color (Petrol Green) but I'll report back when they arrive. I already have a car pc mounted in the trunk running Windows Media Center and I'm planning on hooking the screens up to the computer so that the passengers in the back can use the RF Media Center remote to choose their tv show from the 500GB video library. Everything (including the pay-tv dvb-t tuner) is stuffed away in the two rear compartments (where the two batteries are) so the trunk still has its clean look.

If anyone has any tips on how to disassemble the front seats so I can run the necessary power/data to the screens please let me know

Modified by Jim Morris at 1:59 PM 7-19-2009

16. Junior Member
      11-03-2012 08:52 AM #51
      Haven't heard back from Jim yet, but doesn't sound like anyone has actually tackled this yet?

17. Junior Member
      11-19-2012 04:32 PM #52
      I wanted to resurrect this in hopes that someone that had done some similar work would post a reply.

Vehicles
      Facelift Phaeton 3.0tdi
      11-23-2012 08:01 PM #53
      I have 4 of those Alpine screens (2 new boxed 2 used) also the DVD Alpine multi changer and have a "navvideo.com" interface for the older phaeton (>2009) for tv display on the navi screen if any one is interested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12