Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      03-31-2008 02:26 AM #26
      Photos re-hosted.
      Michael

Vehicles
      VW Phaeton V10
      07-19-2009 07:57 AM #27
      If anyone is interested in retrofitting these screens to their Phaeton, they can be ordered from Kufatec here. They sell the same OEM headrests also used by VW Individual (but not the dvd player).
      I've just ordered them, may take a few days to get them in my specific interior color (Petrol Green) but I'll report back when they arrive. I already have a car pc mounted in the trunk running Windows Media Center and I'm planning on hooking the screens up to the computer so that the passengers in the back can use the RF Media Center remote to choose their tv show from the 500GB video library. Everything (including the pay-tv dvb-t tuner) is stuffed away in the two rear compartments (where the two batteries are) so the trunk still has its clean look.
      If anyone has any tips on how to disassemble the front seats so I can run the necessary power/data to the screens please let me know

Modified by Jim Morris at 1:59 PM 7-19-2009

Vehicles
      3.0 Tdi & Kawasaki Eliminator
      07-20-2009 01:45 AM #28
      Hi Jim ,
      Hugh (Irishphaeton) fitted the DVD system in his car.
      Do you have 18 way seats
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4013117

4. 07-20-2009 08:49 AM #29
      Jim
      I did indeed fit the DVD assembly. It works well, but I neved did suceed in locating the correct final cable assembly to allow TV watching on the back screens, but that is minor. I have a home-made cable that feeds the video to the front and sound into the car system via the AUX2. As with all these things it's not really used that much.
      The seats. I have the 18 way seats, so are split on the backrest. First step is starting from under the seat, un hook the elastic securing straps for lower skirt, revealing some screws(2x). This releases the lower part of the lower section, and by lifting up simply unhooks from the top. I don't recall the top section clearly, but it's a combination of push fittings ( I broke some, and never did get around to replacing) and 2 bigger plastic type wedge fittings on the side: no screws as I recall: a "pull & pray" fitting, if you know what I mean. Getting the headrests off is also a real grazed knuckle job. There is a "U" shaped clip that limits the headrest travel that has to be removed and it's not easy. I have some images, and will email to you if you are interested. All in all I think I did the headrests in one evening. It was much tricker fitting in the loom from boot ( trunk): it involved removal of all boot trim, rear seats etc. Quite an undertaking, as I recall it took almost 2 days. However the system is quite clever, the 2 screens can work independently, there is an AUX video in for games, etc, so it works well.
      Reagrds
      Hugh

Modified by IrishPhaeton at 5:50 AM 7-20-2009

Vehicles
      VW Phaeton V10
      07-21-2009 08:02 AM #30
      Hello Hugh,
      Thank you for your help so far. I'd appreciate it if you could send me the images you mentioned, I'm sure they would be of great illustration. I'll send you a PM with my email address.
      As for the setup I'm hoping to archieve:
      I already have a DVB-T tuner in the trunk (jammed between the left battery and the fuse box) which supplies video to the OEM VW tuner under the electronics shelf. The DVB-T tuner has an addition input for video (which will be supplied by the car computer running Media Center) and two addition AV outs which will be connected to the rear screens. The two headrests come with their own blackbox allowing two AV inputs.
      In my setup, the DVB-T tuner and the Alpine blackbox will be 'cross-linked'. This means both are capable of independently choosing their input (either live tv or the Media Center interface), so that the rear can watch something different than the passenger in the front, or everyone can watch the same thing. This also allows the sound from the rear screens to pass through the car sound system.
      As the car PC is fitted with Windows Vista, it is also possible to switch to Internet Explorer. My car already has a WiFi access point built into the trunk which is permanently connected to the 3G/HSDPA network and allows the passengers to connect to the car's WiFi network and browse the web. This will also be possible on the rear screens with a little wireless keyboard which I already bought for this purpose (a Logitech diNovo Mini).
      Sounds complex, I know but when all the components have arrived I'll take pictures for those of you who are interested. If you don't want video on the front (J523) screen, this retrofit is also possible for NAR vehicles as it doesn't integrate with the car systems.
      So when everything is put together, the possibilities in the car would be:
      * Live TV and media library in the front (for DVB radio and my music collection, no moving picture when I'm alone in the car)
      * Live TV and 500GB of TV shows and movies in the back (for passengers in the back)
      * Internet/email access in the back with the small wireless keyboard

Modified by Jim Morris at 2:06 PM 7-21-2009

6. 07-21-2009 04:06 PM #31
      Sounds like a dream car. I am really excitete about your car. Could you also documente the installation process wih pics?
      Where did you get the wifi access point hardware?

Vehicles
      VW Phaeton V10
      07-21-2009 08:01 PM #32
      The WiFi access point is nothing more than a Linksys WRT54G3G powered directly by the 12V car power system. It is installed behind the right battery and uses a Vodafone datacard with unlimited data account, and a 3G card antenna extender which runs up to the right side of the rear window for better reception. Speeds are usually around 1MB/sec in Belgium and 700KB/s in the Netherlands.

Modified by Jim Morris at 2:03 AM 7-22-2009

8. 11-22-2009 04:16 PM #33
      Hi guys,
      Some of you may know that I have just purchased a 2004 V10 TDI and it does come with the OEM Rear Seat enterntainment.
      Now I have "found" two headphones in the back of the car and they are very high quality sets.
      But I was surprised to find two more headphone sets in the spare wheel well. Clearly brand new, with batteries in and, stranger than stranger, these ones are wireless.
      Is this normal? TWO sets of headphones, one pair wired and one pair wireless? I haven't tested the wireless ones yet although I am very impressed with them and they are clarly unused (In a car with 100k KMs the boot area has clearly never, and I mean, never used!).
      Any tips on making this system work, as it seems quite slow. I have got a DVD to work but not sure how to swtich the system on unless the engine is runnning.
      I gather from this thread that we are NOT able to watch the TV input from the INfotainment nor watch on the infotainment screen anything from the back. Is this the case?

Vehicles
      VW Phaeton V10
      11-22-2009 04:58 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by iberkoko »
      I gather from this thread that we are NOT able to watch the TV input from the INfotainment nor watch on the infotainment screen anything from the back. Is this the case?

That's true, the rear entertainment system is independent from the other car systems. The infotainment system in the front receives its video signal via the main wiring harnass which runs from the front to the back of the car.
      You can have the same video up front if you connect the output of the dvd player to the av input of the tv tuner. That's what I did, so I can see the same video on all three screens.

10. 11-22-2009 05:18 PM #35
      Hi Jim,
      Thanks for that. I imagine it has been answered, but where is the input on the infotainment system?
      Thanks,
      Iain

Vehicles
      VW Phaeton V10
      11-23-2009 02:16 PM #36
      You'll need a small wiring harnass which plugs in to the big connector on the tv tuner in the trunk. It can be ordered from Kufatec here.

12. 11-23-2009 02:51 PM #37
      Hi Jim,
      Thanks for that. I can get that wiring harness from a shop near here, they are absolutely brilliant with all things wires and cables.
      I will dig through the car and find the connector.

Vehicles
      VW Phaeton V10
      11-23-2009 04:15 PM #38
      I will dig through the car and find the connector.

It's not difficult to find, there's only one big connector going into the tv tuner. You'll have to lower the electronics shelf in the trunk to get to it, though. Once you lower the shelf, the tuner is clearly visible on the right.
      Last edited by PanEuropean; 10-06-2012 at 04:17 AM.

14. 12-08-2009 01:11 PM #39
      Hi Jim, and others,
      You know it's easy to follow forums and not actually try stuff!
      Today I sat in the front of my car and saw that the screen there (The J523 or whatever it is) has AV as an input option. I selected it and right away saw the same DVD menu that was on the rear seat enterntainment screens.
      So on a whim I went back and played around and sure enough you can watch TV in the back and the front, or TV on one in the back and also watch whatever is on in the back in the front. All this without a single cable...
      I guess the previous owner did that.
      Happy though!!
      Cheers,
      Iain

Vehicles
      12-09-2009 01:00 AM #40
      Thats how they work when they are factory fitted.
      Tony

16. 12-09-2009 03:27 AM #41
      I fitted rear DVD system that Plastech & Michael removed from a dismanteled Phaeton. Overall it was not that difficult as the looms were fully intact. All the interface with the car (audio & video, in & out) is done via the TV tuner module which has a series of Audio & Video in/ audio out available on the spare pinnouts in the TV module.
      So in summary if you have the TV module you can reproduce the factory behaviour given the time & patience. As this vital cable was lost in the removal from the original my interface is limited ( I have the Audio from DVD connected to the spound system in the car via TV tuner and that OK for me.
      The TV module pin diagram is on the forum.
      Regards
      Hugh

Vehicles
      05 Phaeton V10 TDi LWB, 09 Passat 2.0 TDi 140 Highline, 06 A8 3.0 TDi, 04 Golf TDi, 04 A6 V6 TDi CVT
      01-07-2010 03:44 AM #42
      Does anyone have the part numbers for that Alpine remote? Also, would the Bentley Flying Spur RSE remote work with the system?

18. 01-07-2010 11:12 AM #43
      P/N of Alpine Remote in mine is P/N RUE-4168
      At one stage I thought this was faulty and there were several on e-bay at the time. It turned out there was a poor connection on the remote in on the DVD changer in the boot.
      On a separate issue, as I retrofitted the factory fit DVD system, I did not get the wireless headphones. Can someone give me the P/N for these. How is the signal transmitted to these headphones? In retrofitting the system there was no component that appeared to be a transmitter of any type, or no dangling wires!
      Only possibility is it was a further option OR the transmission is a function in the display module (highly unlikely I think...)
      Regards
      Hugh

Modified by IrishPhaeton at 8:14 AM 1-7-2010

Vehicles
      VW Phaeton V10
      01-07-2010 03:03 PM #44
      Quote, originally posted by IrishPhaeton »
      Only possibility is it was a further option OR the transmission is a function in the display module (highly unlikely I think...)

In the aftermarket units, the sound is transmitted by an infrared bar below each screen. Don't know how the OEM units do this, weren't they wired?

Vehicles
      01-07-2010 04:10 PM #45
      Thanks for that. I imagine it has been answered, but where is the input on the infotainment system?
      Thanks,
      Iain

The input is in the TV module if you have the factory DVD located under the parcel shelve
      If you have the factory fitted DVD system there a cable that links the DVD and TV.
      This is the cable that links them.

Hugh if you look at your TV module you will find a socket on the side.
      Standard TV module does not have this.
      Tony
      Last edited by PanEuropean; 10-06-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      01-07-2010 07:47 PM #46
      Hugh:
      I'm almost certain that I have that cable somewhere. Let me go look for it.
      Michael

22. 01-08-2010 05:15 AM #47
      OK, I had a closer look at the original Phaeton Manual Supplement for the rear DVD system and it makes no reference to wireless headphones. It clearly shows wired headphones as the units supplied. Also the installed display (Alpine TME-M750) make no reference to IR transmission of audio, so I think this must all relate to more recent units. The documentation suggests the DVD system I have may have been removed from a 2004/2005 Phaeton.
      Michael, if you do come across that cable it would be excellent! I will send you a PM.
      Hugh

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      10-06-2012 04:20 AM #48
      Photos re-hosted.

Michael

24. Junior Member
      10-30-2012 05:23 PM #49
      This looks like something that would be nice to have for the back seat passengers. However, wouldn't the wiring be monumental? You would somehow have to get the signals to the seats which seems like it would be taking most of the car apart.

Jim - you have ordered the headrest screens. Did you already have wiring there?

Has anyone done this with a car without the TV tuner, and if so, how much expense and work was it?

25. Junior Member
      10-31-2012 11:50 AM #50
      Jim:

I see these are about 1600 euros. Unfortunately, I can not read German, but I believe that only includes the headrests?

The wiring as well as the interior controls and rear DVD player would all be additional?

Did you ever install these? I do not have the TV tuner and so probably do not have any required wiring. How difficult was it to run the wiring from these headrests?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morris View Post
      If anyone is interested in retrofitting these screens to their Phaeton, they can be ordered from Kufatec here. They sell the same OEM headrests also used by VW Individual (but not the dvd player).
      I've just ordered them, may take a few days to get them in my specific interior color (Petrol Green) but I'll report back when they arrive. I already have a car pc mounted in the trunk running Windows Media Center and I'm planning on hooking the screens up to the computer so that the passengers in the back can use the RF Media Center remote to choose their tv show from the 500GB video library. Everything (including the pay-tv dvb-t tuner) is stuffed away in the two rear compartments (where the two batteries are) so the trunk still has its clean look.
      If anyone has any tips on how to disassemble the front seats so I can run the necessary power/data to the screens please let me know

Modified by Jim Morris at 1:59 PM 7-19-2009

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast