Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: post pics of your Vw bus or Vans.....

12-07-2004 10:41 PM #51
      I posted to the Vanagon list with some extra info to back you up, Eric. I am not the type to condone Busarus, but you have done a nice job and put alot of time and effort into your bus. Its really a shame to see people knocking your Van and they dont even know the story.
      [thugvoice]I got yer back homie[/thugvoice]

2. 12-08-2004 02:34 AM #52
      I'm so used to it, that's why I invite everybody to go for a ride in it. Sometimes I can't believe it myself. I mean really, a Vanagon doing over 130mph? I think my stock 2.1 wasser leaker could do 95mph with 95hp... now add 180hp... hmm 130mph doesn't seem that far away, especially if your new engine has a red line of 7250rpm's vs 5200rpm's.
      BTW, I have a tall 3rd & 4th.
      Lets make a video! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      61 Beetle, 70 Bus, 76 Porsche 914
      12-10-2004 01:58 PM #53
      I feel like im the only one who actually has a bus not a EV or Vanagon on this forum. is it just me or is it true. what happened to all the busses. i dont even like EVs or vanagons they are not the real thing and never will be. air cooled is the only way to go.

4. 12-10-2004 02:32 PM #54
      Quote, originally posted by jshaddvw »
      I feel like im the only one who actually has a bus not a EV or Vanagon on this forum. is it just me or is it true. what happened to all the busses. i dont even like EVs or vanagons they are not the real thing and never will be. air cooled is the only way to go.

I had a 78 Westy until 2001 when I bought the EV.
      And you're right, it's not the real thing. At least if the real thing involves freezing in the winter, sweating in the summer, largely being a speedbump to other drivers, and wondering what was going to go wrong *this trip*.
      All that stuff sure does build character.
      But then again, as a professional drag racer, it's obvious that you and I think a little differently about a lot of things.
      Az

Vehicles
      1991 VW Vanagon, 1995 Subaru Legacy L Outback wagon, 1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D
      12-10-2004 03:01 PM #55

Well, maybe you should hang out in the aircooled forum.

I can understand not liking Eurovans if you're a bus guy, but sorry... a Vanagon is VERY close to your bus, like it or not.
      The aircooled Vanagons, for example, had the same exact engine as the late buses. The later watercooled Vanagons had what's basically just a watercooled version of that late bus engine.
      I've been in both. The interior dimensions "feel" similar. I have a last year, 1991 Vanagon which I find is a "somewhat" modern take on the bus idea. Don't forget that all Vanagons, like your bus, were rear-engined.
      Like what you like. Like what you have. If you can't like what you have, get something you'll like.

6. 12-10-2004 06:38 PM #56
      Better late than never. Another WRX Vanagon (90 Carat)

The purists blanch and the naysayers shake their heads but its fast as hell and all the fun .
      David, Seattle

7. 12-10-2004 07:01 PM #57
      WRX Vanagon owners unite!
      I still wanna see yours in person! we need to do a trade drive to see the difference in performance.

Vehicles
      I AM THE VAN MAN
      12-10-2004 10:45 PM #58
      eric, do u know if the wrx conversion can be done to an automatic vanagon? or would i just grenade the tranny?

9. 12-10-2004 11:07 PM #59
      There are 3 of them in existence! I actually have the only manual.
      The WRX posted above is an automatic. It's a much easier conversion than the manual.
      I think David (above) is on his 2nd auto trans. I'm on my 2nd as well, but I guess using a stock trans isn't really the way to go.

Vehicles
      I AM THE VAN MAN
      12-11-2004 01:50 AM #60
      Quote, originally posted by Eric Didier »
      I think David (above) is on his 2nd auto trans. I'm on my 2nd as well, but I guess using a stock trans isn't really the way to go.

ugh... so i guess i should start stockpiling auto trannies...
      if im easy off the line will the stock trannys last, mated to a wrx motor? or is there any mods that can be done to the stock auto trans to change gear ratios/shift points/add extra cooling to make them last longer???

11. 12-11-2004 02:52 AM #61
      read up on the Smallcar.com site, Brian has a lot of experience with the auto's.
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2008 Mitsubishi Colt. 2012 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
      12-13-2004 04:25 AM #62
      Quote, originally posted by jordanvw »
      eric, i posted this link up to the vanagon list..boy was that a mistake.. there are a bunch of naysayers and doubters on there, as usual.... are you on the vanagon list, and could you see some of the responses?
      dont worry about what they say, youve still got one of the hottest vans i know of.. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I take it you're talking about Vanagon Gerry. I was on the list, and Syncro.Org, but got fed up with all the negative vibes.

13. 12-13-2004 10:39 PM #63
      Tres,
      Can you tell me the wheel setup for your van. Are those Porsche Cup 1?? Can you tell me the rim size, offset and any spacer/adapters you used.
      thanks

14. 12-14-2004 02:26 AM #64
      here's a recent pic of my van...only a waterboxer, but manage to avg ~23mpg, even through LA traffic.

Modified by ekv at 2:34 AM 1-31-2005

15. 12-14-2004 02:12 PM #65
      Those wheels look better on your Vanagon than they do on the benz!

16. 12-15-2004 02:11 AM #66
      Eric Can you give specifics on you wheel fitment. Would they work same for 17" Porsche wheels??

17. 12-15-2004 02:22 AM #67
      You still need to buy adapters,
      5x112 to 5x130...
      keep the overall offset to 30-35mm
      For example: Porsche 17" cup wheels offset 52mm. to get to 30mm, you would need a 22mm adapter, only problem is min thickness for an adapter is 25mm. 3mm won't kill you.
      You want the Porsche alloys with the larger offsets, you can make up the offset and center the wheel with the adapter.
      Some of the 928 disc style alloys are 65mm offset, I think that is the max Porsche ever made.

18. 12-15-2004 01:41 PM #68
      I see. Will they still make an adapter if it is only 22mm? What about using a 25mm adapter and machining the wheel 3mm to compensate for the adapter? So this setup would be same for front and rear? Thanks for your help your knowledge is priceless. By the way have ever considered fabricating the porsche big brake upgrade and selling it as a bolt on component?

19. 12-15-2004 01:50 PM #69
      Sorry one more question. For all those with the bigger wider wheels. Has this upgrade improved the handling of you van much? Especially with the lateral movement in high wind conditions. Im running lowered spring by H&R with Bilstiens and I expected it to handle a lot better. Still searching for tighter handling.......

Vehicles
      61 Beetle, 70 Bus, 76 Porsche 914
      12-15-2004 02:36 PM #70
      sorry guys but your right a ev or vanogon resemble a bus. thats right resemble. want to be like it but never will. i dont know what piece of s!!! u drove but my heat works fine and so does my defroster. maybe instead of buying a new car you should try restoring the old one. oh wait that wont work it has to be in perfect condition before you will drive it right. its all about looks. oh yea a 78 westy hmmmmm hardly would consider that a real bus thats like saying a super beetle is a real bug. talk to any real bug person and they will tell you never get a super beetle. and the last time i checked this is an aircooled forum vans and transporters - all years well im not sure but i think a 1970 transporter type 2 (bus) is within those guidelines. get your s!@# straight before you start talking that way i wont have to embarrass you again.

21. 12-15-2004 04:03 PM #71
      i wont have to embarrass you again.

My first car was a '59 single cab. I've also owned a '69 sunroof van, two beetles, (a 70 and a 66 convertible) a Karmann Ghia with a Porsche motor in it, a squareback and a fastback. The 78 had the best heat of the bunch.
      Do you live in Florida? Or are you part Eskimo?
      I'm not exactly new to the program. I'm glad you enjoy your vehicle. I enjoy mine as well.
      Az

22. 12-16-2004 11:32 AM #72
      Your experience with VW's is apparent if you really think you can compare the heat in an air cooled vw versus a water cooled VW. I have owned over 20 split window busses and at least 5 of those have had heating systems in top notch perfect working order. You are right that in most cases the heat is pretty good, but try driving in 15 degree weather for any amount of time. No matter how big of hill you are climbing there is not enough engine heat to keep the cab warm. The other good one is driving up to the mountains all toasty and warm as you climb up. Then after skiing for 8hrs you come back down, the air cooled heater won't catch up until about the time you get back to town, leaving you scraping your windshield by hand. Not exactly safe in treachorous winter driving conditions. I love the splitties, they are as cool as you can get, but they don't compare to the later vans when comfort and safety are involved. I have two small kids to think about now, and it would be selfish of me to make them deal with my obsession. So right now I drive Vanagons, but some day I will have a pre 1960 double door panel with a Porsche Boxster motor and 6 spd tranny. Maybe after the girls go to college. By the way I don't think anyone here started out insulting your ride.
      Craig

23. 12-17-2004 02:17 AM #73
      Foam, look at a ruler to see how much 3mm is, it's less than an 1/8th of an inch...
      I wouldn't sweat it unless it interferes with body clearance.
      Having 7.5" wide wheels with 40series tires makes for a harsher ride, but handling is amazing. 9" rears really helps too.
      I don't even notice side winds. We just had a major wind storm last week, gusts to 70mph, I was following a semi truck in a cross wind that was noticeably going sideways , the cab was hugging the center line and the trailer was nearly on the shoulder. I could feel the wind, but it never made the van unstable to the point that I had to correct any steering input.
      I take the on ramp from west bound Airport way onto I-205 heading south. It's a nice loop that's a decreasing radius, the van grips so well that the fuel in the tank is forced to the left under extreme G force and I stall as I enter the fwy. This happens with less than a half tank.
      I would love to take it to a Porsche track day, but I worry about the fuel starvation thing.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 Audi S6
      12-17-2004 10:57 AM #74
      sorry guys but your right a ev or vanogon resemble a bus. thats right resemble. want to be like it but never will. i dont know what piece of s!!! u drove but my heat works fine and so does my defroster. maybe instead of buying a new car you should try restoring the old one. oh wait that wont work it has to be in perfect condition before you will drive it right. its all about looks. oh yea a 78 westy hmmmmm hardly would consider that a real bus thats like saying a super beetle is a real bug. talk to any real bug person and they will tell you never get a super beetle. and the last time i checked this is an aircooled forum vans and transporters - all years well im not sure but i think a 1970 transporter type 2 (bus) is within those guidelines. get your s!@# straight before you start talking that way i wont have to embarrass you again.

Do you park your bus in your mouth!!!! Cause you gotta big one!!

25. 12-17-2004 01:34 PM #75
      Great to hear encouraging stories like yours, makes me feel more confidient of doing it myself. I'd hate for it to be an upgrade for cosmetic purposes only. I'm also thinking about doing the 2.5 Subie conversion. Not brave enought to drive a 250hp vanagon. hehe. I was looking into having someone prep the motor and do all the neccesasary fabrications and then drop it into the van. No one here in Hawaii is willing to touch that kind of conversion. It seems pretty straight foward once you got the motor and wiring harness in place. Any suggestions? Motor/year etc.......

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast