Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Infocus 4805 Projector Thread

1. Banned
      10-19-2004 03:13 PM #1
      Post everything and anything concerning the 4805 in here.

2. Banned
      10-19-2004 04:38 PM #2
      I'll start this thread off with some general information...

See The Bigger Picture
      Turn your living room into a home entertainment center. With a screen size that can fill a wall, the InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 makes so called big-screen TV’s seem tiny. Expand your idea of home entertainment with award-winning InFocus innovation and discover details you didn’t even know were there. The InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 is easy to set up and use in any room with your DVD player, cable or satellite receiver, VCR, game player and more! You’ll never "just" watch a movie again.

The ScreenPlay 4805 projector gives you a screen width that’s measured in feet (meters), not inches (centimeters).. As up to 9 feet (2.74 meters). So big, athletes jump out of the screen at you and video game characters make fun of how small you are. An optical zoom lens enables you to adjust the huge image to fit virtually any size screen from any location, in perfect focus and clarity. Native 16:9 widescreen format gives you movie-theater proportions, so finally you have a big, bright, high-resolution image that compliments your surround sound and DVD.

Here are a couple DVD shots of the 4805 on a 103" screen.

Street price currently is $1499.00.

Stunning Images Come from Attention to Detail — The ScreenPlay 4805 uses native 16:9 DarkChip2T DLPT technology from Texas Instruments, the only display solution that creates an entirely digital connection between a source and the screen in front of you.

Academy-Award-Winning Enhanced Faroudja DCDi Video Processing — The images are produced with ultimate fidelity: clear and artifact-free, without those jagged lines you see on some large-format displays.

Incredible Movies, Games, TV and More — Project everything in amazing color, size and clarity. Plug in any type of game box and jump into the action, show off your vacation photos from your digital camera or camcorder, or enjoy front-row seating for your favorite team by attaching to your TV.

3. Banned
      10-19-2004 04:46 PM #3
      Specifications

Resolution: 854x480 (WSVGA)
      Compatibility: PC, MAC
      Brightness: 750 Lumens
      Contrast Ratio: 2000:1
      Weight: 7.8 lbs
      Dimensions: 4.2" (H) x 9.8" (W) x 12.9" (L)
      Display Device: DLP
      Data Signals: N/A
      Video Signals: Component and RGB HDTV (720p, 1035i, 1080i). DVI with HDCP for digital video and encrypted digital video. Component EDTV (480p, 576p progressive scan)
      Aspect Ratio: 16:9
      Lamp: 160/200-watt SHP
      Lamp Life: 3000 hour average lifetime
      Lens: Manual zoom and focus
      Keystone: Digital, up to +/- 20° Vertical
      Inputs: 1 x component, 1 x svideo, 1 x composite, 1 x L&R audio, 1 x DVI, 1 X stereo mini jack, 1 x 12v screen-drop
      Outputs: 12v screen-drop

Factory Spec sheet...

http://www.projectorcenter.com...5.pdf

4. 10-20-2004 07:33 PM #4
      where can you get one of these it looks sweet do you need a screen or will a wall project pretty good, looking to do an entertainment center in my house

5. Banned
      10-21-2004 09:22 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by vwjettagli23 »
      where can you get one of these it looks sweet do you need a screen or will a wall project pretty good, looking to do an entertainment center in my house

Where can you get one? Contact Infocus directly.

You can use a wall but it won't look as good. Screens vary in price, you can do a D.I.Y screen, or just buy one. Prices vary anywhere from $100-$4,000+.

6. 10-21-2004 09:31 AM #6
      Would this look as sharp as say, my 34" sony xbr widescreen tv, on a 60-90" wall screen? Are the colors accurate? Only thing I know about projectors is what you see in the movie theater, which is on par with VCR.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Titanium A4
      10-21-2004 02:04 PM #7
      Yeah my main concern about going front projection is the image quality. My Sony 46" rear projection's picture is amazing but it just ain't that big
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

8. 10-21-2004 02:34 PM #8
      question, the projector only has 750 lumens, I have some other projectors around the some price or a little more with 2000 lumens would more lumens be better picture quality?

9. Banned
      10-21-2004 06:02 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Cab 540 »
      Would this look as sharp as say, my 34" sony xbr wide-screen tv, on a 60-90" wall screen? Are the colors accurate? Only thing I know about projectors is what you see in the movie theater, which is on par with VCR.

Would what look as sharp as your sony xbr wide-screen tv? SD, HD, DVD, console games etc...?

What do you use the TV for mostly? Or could you break it down in percentages?

Also, do you have ambient light in this room? Or is it light controlled?

10. Banned
      10-21-2004 06:08 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by Karma »
      Yeah my main concern about going front projection is the image quality. My Sony 46" rear projection's picture is amazing but it just ain't that big

It comes down to what you watch. If you use the TV for alot of SD, then the smaller the picture the better.

Keep in mind, when you blow up SD, it's going to show artifacts (Unwanted visible effects in the picture created by disturbances in the transmission or image processing).

Not going to look "great" on say a 120" screen. However, HD, DVD, console games ETC, will look AWESOME!!!!

Now lets say you went down to a smaller screen, say anywhere from 72-92", SD will look alot better.

11. 10-21-2004 08:44 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Gateway »

Would what look as sharp as your sony xbr wide-screen tv? SD, HD, DVD, console games etc...?

What do you use the TV for mostly? Or could you break it down in percentages?

Also, do you have ambient light in this room? Or is it light controlled?

If I bought a projector it would be strictly for dvd, hdtv and games, run through the highest resolution possible ala progression/component blah blah. I can't stand normal television or rca inputs anymore. They look absolutely fantastic on my 34" xbr, but like another person stated, a screen that size is just small. I'm thinking a 60-90" image projected onto a widescreen through the InFocus 4805 would fit the bill nicely, but how good would the image look? Am I going to lose resolution with it?

12. Banned
      10-22-2004 11:19 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by vwjettagli23 »
      question, the projector only has 750 lumens, I have some other projectors around the some price or a little more with 2000 lumens would more lumens be better picture quality?

lumens = brightness.

13. Banned
      10-22-2004 11:26 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Cab 540 »

If I bought a projector it would be strictly for dvd, hdtv and games, run through the highest resolution possible ala progression/component blah blah. I can't stand normal television or rca inputs anymore. They look absolutely fantastic on my 34" xbr, but like another person stated, a screen that size is just small. I'm thinking a 60-90" image projected onto a widescreen through the InFocus 4805 would fit the bill nicely, but how good would the image look? Am I going to lose resolution with it?

For DVD, console games and hdtv (even though it's down converted to 480p on the 4805) will look great. You will never use that 34" xbr again!!!

60"-90" screen is just fine. Think about it....

Infocus 4805 projector - $1500

Dalite screen 92" - $400

Budget Surround Sound - $1600

= $3500

Having a neighbor walk into your house, that just spent $12,000 on a 50" plasma + surround = Priceless

10-22-2004 12:23 PM #14
      What is SD? XBR?

15. Banned
      10-22-2004 12:35 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by QuickA2 »
      What is SD? XBR?

SD = Standard Definition TV

XBR = Line of Sony TV's

16. 10-22-2004 02:23 PM #16
      This projector (along with the entire ScreenPlay lineup) is designed specifically for home theater use. It has 750 lumens but it's already theater optimized. The projectors you see out there are designed for presentation use, and are brighter, but once you correct them for theater use, they often drop to 500 lumens or less. Plus with the 4805 you also get a six segment color wheel (RGBRGB) instead of the presentation type four segment wheel (RGBW). That means that at any given RPM, the six segment wheel is giving you more color and less white. My friend and I tried to watch a Dell projector (MP3300). The projector was 1024x768 and the picture was good, but we both saw the dreaded "rainbow effect". The rainbow effect (RBE) is an artifact seen in DLP projectors caused by the color wheel. In fast motion scenes, or when you scan your eyes across the screen at high speed, you may see RGB flashes around objects.

The 4805 is optimized for home theater, and more specifically for DVDs. It is native at 16:9 aspect ratio (854x480) and the picture is absolutely fantastic in a darkened room. By playing with gamma and color settings, you can get an acceptable picture in a brighter room, but it's definitely at its best in the dark - and that's as it should be.

I bought the 4805 last month from my local Costco because they had a deal I couldn't pass up: $1399 with a free 72" wide screen. I have enjoyed it immensely, and it has changed our entire movie watching experience.

I highly recommend this projector to any movie junkie. For those more concerned with HDTV, game playing, and regular TV, you may find products better suited for your needs. For movies though, I don't think anything compares favorably at anywhere near the price.

17. Banned
      10-22-2004 02:30 PM #17
      I agree with you on everything except this statement...

Quote, originally posted by kenoka »
      For those more concerned with HDTV, game playing, and regular TV, you may find products better suited for your needs.

Have you used the 4805 on HDTV, console games and regular TV?

There are other projectors in the same price range, that are better at one thing, but there is nothing else in this price range that will do all of the above, as good as it does.

18. 10-22-2004 02:34 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by Gateway »
      I agree with you on everything except this statement...

Have you used the 4805 on HDTV, console games and regular TV?

There are other projectors in the same price range, that are better at one thing, but there is nothing else in this price range that will do all of the above, as good as it does.

I have seen it on HDTV, and I thought it looked fabulous, but there are those who feel the downconversion obviates the main point of HDTV: high definition a.k.a. high pixel count. *shrugs* I don't plan on being an early adopter in this area, so it's no skin off my nose. SDTV looks fine if you don't pay too much attention to picture quality. I have used it for playoff baseball, and I can live with it. That's about all the good I can say for it: garbage in, garbage out. PS2 looks okay - but pixelation is definitely an issue on some older titles.

19. 10-22-2004 02:41 PM #19
      Here are a couple of out of focus screen shots taken from just behind the main seating position:

Modified by kenoka at 11:42 AM 10-22-2004

20. Banned
      10-22-2004 02:42 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by kenoka »

I have seen it on HDTV, and I thought it looked fabulous, but there are those who feel the downconversion obviates the main point of HDTV: high definition a.k.a. high pixel count. *shrugs* I don't plan on being an early adopter in this area, so it's no skin off my nose. SDTV looks fine if you don't pay too much attention to picture quality. I have used it for playoff baseball, and I can live with it. That's about all the good I can say for it: garbage in, garbage out. PS2 looks okay - but pixelation is definitely an issue on some older titles.

Keep in mind, we are talking about a projector that you paid $1399 for with the screen.

This is an HDTV shot. It was moving and with the slow shutter it has a slight blur, but you get the idea. Pixel count means little as far as what a projector can really do.

Sounds like you need to ditch the PS2 and get a xbox bud.

21. Banned
      10-22-2004 02:46 PM #21
      Here is a DVD shot from spiderman...

Modified by Gateway at 2:52 PM 10-22-2004

22. 10-22-2004 02:50 PM #22
      Isn't that Spider-man?

23. Banned
      10-22-2004 02:51 PM #23
      Yes it is. Sometimes I type too fast for my own good.

24. 10-22-2004 03:01 PM #24
      I hope I haven't given the impression that I'm in any way dissatisfied with the projector. Quite the contrary: I'm absolutely ecstatic about it. The fact that it looks as good as it does through a cheap Toshiba DVD player and composite video just astounds me. I just didn't want people to think that it was the end all be all. I think dollar for dollar it stacks up to anything out there as the best value projector on the market. Between being native 16:9, the 6 segment color wheel, the theater optimized light output, the great blacks, and the Faroudja processing, I don't know how you could possibly ask for more from a sub $1500 projo. I think it definitely fights out of its weight class, because I've seen $3000 projectors I haven't liked nearly as much. I just don't want to gush like a fanboy, so I'm trying to keep my objectivity.

25. 10-22-2004 03:17 PM #25
      thank you for the input, I am looking at using the projector for digiatal cable some HDTV and some gaming, Thanks for the comments to my question it is very helpful

26. 10-22-2004 05:41 PM #26
      For those concerned about blowing up images.....I run a ScreenPlay 4800 on a 100" Stewart Firehawk, and I also run a 32" Hitachi. I thought I would watch the 32" for TV, and use the ScreenPlay for movies, but now I hardly ever touch the 32". Its become a dust collector. 3 things to remember about those who believe the VCR comment:
      1. Real theatres are running on worn out prints on worn out equipment, so the color just will not be that great. A home theatre isnt, so the colors are more truer.
      2. A really great screen like the Firehawk will add alot of gain, resolution, color and defininition to the picture. If you saw your buddys projector on a bedsheet, beleive me, you havent seen a projector the way its supposed to be seen.
      3. The larger the screen, the larger the room you need. If you live in a shoebox, buy a 100" screen, and watch with your nose up to the screen, yeah, its gonna be blurry and pixelated. I watch anywhere from 10 to 20 feet back from the screen...........
      Having a big screen is a real wow factor. You can buy the cheapest projector like the X1, and show your buddies, and then make them watch on your 34", and you dont have to be a genious to figure out which one is going to be cromulent enough to get the zowee out of there embiggened mouths..............

27. 10-22-2004 06:38 PM #27
      Doesn't your screen cost more than twice as much as your projector?

28. 10-22-2004 06:57 PM #28
      Yes, the Firehawk is expensive, but I will own it for 30 years. I will own the 4800 for about 2 or 3 years. The cost per year, therefore is cheap....................

29. 10-24-2004 10:17 AM #29
      The pictures of the 4805 images, is the dark corners just because of light fall off on the camera taking the picture, or is it the projector?

30. 10-24-2004 02:36 PM #30
      The quality of the picture of any projector is based on the screen you project on. Some screens have hotspots in the centre where the picture looks good, but it doesnt look good on other parts of the screen. An excellent screen will make even the cheapest projector look good, while a cheap screen (bedsheet/wall) can make even the best projector look crappy.....................

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2001 Accord coupe V6 / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      10-26-2004 12:03 AM #31
      How many hours will you get out of the bulb, and how much do they cost?

Are there settings to run it at a lower lumen count, say if your only watching the news or not really paying attention to whats on tv?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

32. 10-26-2004 11:42 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by BrendanMX5 »
      How many hours will you get out of the bulb, and how much do they cost?

Are there settings to run it at a lower lumen count, say if your only watching the news or not really paying attention to whats on tv?

Average lamp life is listed as 3000 hours, and the projector has two modes: 160 watt and 200 watt. The 200 watt mode was very loud - I'm not sure I'll ever use it. We'll see what happens when the bulb starts to dim. Bulbs are about $300 IIRC.

33. 11-01-2004 09:50 AM #33
      As a sidenote to the whole Costco thing-

Most people don't know that Costco is not an authorized dealer for almost all the electronics they carry, so the manufacturer's warranty will not be honored. As a result, Costco offers their own money-back guarantee to counter this. If you don't like any piece of electronics, you can take it back to them for a full refund within the first (I think) year as long as you have your receipt. I bought a Screenplay 4800 with a free 76" screen from them in April and they are now carrying the 4805 with free screen. This weekend, I brought the 4800 back (I didn't even have the box for the screen or all the packing materials for the projector, but all other accessories) with my receipt and I had absolutely no trouble returning it even though I had it for six months already - no questions asked. I promptly went in and bought the 4805. A big for Costco - I can't think of ANY other store that would even consider taking back a high ticket item after you've had it that long, especially if there's nothing wrong with it. Of course, you won't easily find this policy listed anywhere, but it is available.

2013 Tiguan SEL
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn

34. Banned
      11-02-2004 12:16 AM #34
      Quote, originally posted by erick.s »
      As a sidenote to the whole Costco thing-

Most people don't know that Costco is not an authorized dealer for almost all the electronics they carry, so the manufacturer's warranty will not be honored. As a result, Costco offers their own money-back guarantee to counter this. If you don't like any piece of electronics, you can take it back to them for a full refund within the first (I think) year as long as you have your receipt. I bought a Screenplay 4800 with a free 76" screen from them in April and they are now carrying the 4805 with free screen. This weekend, I brought the 4800 back (I didn't even have the box for the screen or all the packing materials for the projector, but all other accessories) with my receipt and I had absolutely no trouble returning it even though I had it for six months already - no questions asked. I promptly went in and bought the 4805. A big for Costco - I can't think of ANY other store that would even consider taking back a high ticket item after you've had it that long, especially if there's nothing wrong with it. Of course, you won't easily find this policy listed anywhere, but it is available.

That is seriously awesome. Have you set up the 4805 yet?

35. 11-02-2004 09:07 AM #35
      Not yet. I'm moving in three weeks and then I'm finishing the basement of my new house and putting in a dedicated theater room, so it will be a bit before I have it up and running. I have high expectations for this projector - from what I've read, it's leaps and bounds better than the 4800. The only things that bothered me about the 4800 were the rainbows (I could see them at will) which the new color wheel should greatly reduce, the light bleed (does anyone who has this projector know if that's still an issue?), and lack of DVI, which the new one has. What would be a good, fairly inexpensive screen to mate with this projector? I'm looking for a 110"-120" 16:9. I've heard that DLPs benefit from a high contrast gray screen. Can anyone make some recommendations?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast