Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cigarette lighter light (orange ring) does not illuminate.. :confused:

1. 11-28-2001 04:42 PM #1
      I recently noticed that the orange ring that glows around the cig. lighter in the center console(when you turn the light switch ON) does not glow any more? The lighter still works. So I guess its a burnt out bulb in that. Anybody know how to fix/replace it? Please help.

2. 11-28-2001 09:19 PM #2
      Does anybody know how to change that bulb?

3. 11-29-2001 10:14 AM #3
      I have a similar problem on my '99 B5. One of the dashboard vent lights doesn't work. When I brought it to the dealer back in August for routine maintenance, I asked him about it. His said that it was a relay switch in the dash board that connects to a fiber optic line that provides the light. It was $75 for the relay and $90 in labor if I wanted to fix it. I decided to pass. If that's the setup for the vent lights, I imagine the cigarette lighter illumination works the same way. Hope this helps.

Vehicles
      '06 225 TTQ - Papaya/Grey
      11-29-2001 11:14 AM #4
      Changing the bulb is a complete b%tch.

You need to remove the entire center console to gain access to the ashtray and cigarette lighter. There is a small bulb that lights both the tray and the orange ring which must be replaced. If no one posts the steps for the center console removal I will post this evening from home where I have the file saved. I needed to go through this process when I added an additional 12V Powerpoint to the console for my cellular phone.

As far as part number for the bulb I will look on my electronic parts CD and post that, as well.

Joe

5. 11-29-2001 01:05 PM #5
      Donuts
      I would appreciate if you could post the info for the center console removal. Thats a pain, just to replace a bulb in the ashtray.

Daffypassat
      Your problem is different. If you are talking about changing the bulb which lights up the fan speed switch, temp control, its not too difficult to change the bulb for that. The bulb is less than $2 and it takes about 5 mins to change it. Let me know your email if you want a TSB for that. $$$90 for labor

Vehicles
      '06 225 TTQ - Papaya/Grey
      11-29-2001 08:10 PM #6
      Here are the steps that you will need to follow...

1) Remove small oval screw covers on each side of 'center console'
      2) Remove each screw
      3) Remove rear ash tray
      4) Open rear cupholder, you will see 2 bolts, remove
      5) Remove rectangular rubber insert closest to the passenger seat
      6) Remove third nut
      7) Lift 'center console' out of the way
      8) Remove shifter knob and boot (if you have a manual)
      9) Grasp front section of 'center console'
      10) Pull to wards back of car
      11) Unplug wiring
      12) Reverse procedure

Bulb & Bulb Holder: 191-919-243-D
      I checked on parts.com and it is lists/sells for $5.52. Good luck with the change...just don't take it to the dealer @ $45/hour.

[Modified by Donuts, 7:19 PM 11-29-2001]

7. 10-09-2009 11:40 AM #7
      I just call the parts department, and they said the cigarette lighter bulb that you can't change it, you have to change the whole cigarette lighter unit. Anyone can confirm that? thanks.

Vehicles
      Scirocco 16v, E34 540i
      10-09-2009 12:54 PM #8
      It's a sign you should quit smoking.
      The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad.

Tschüß Gilda
      Hallo Birgit

Vehicles
      04 jetta gli
      09-11-2011 02:23 AM #9
      its easy these guys are doing unneccesary work.. all u gotta do is take out the ashray take off the screws.. then on the bottom are to tabs with flathead you pry softly up n it should come right out..then the black bulb housing comes apart dont evn gotta take it apart from cigarette lighter.

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      09-11-2011 10:05 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by jemilianl View Post
      I just call the parts department, and they said the cigarette lighter bulb that you can't change it, you have to change the whole cigarette lighter unit. Anyone can confirm that? thanks.
      this is what i did:
      1.remove small oval screw covers on each side of 'center console'
      2.remove each screw
      3.remove rear ashtray
      4.slid out rear cup holder and remove the bolts there
      5.there's another bolt hidden under one of the plastic little mats in the center console
      6.remove hand brake cover, lift up center console and unplug gas door button
      7.now remove the front side of the console and unplug wiring

the bulb is held by a plastic "holder" that slides down the cig. lighter, i took that and went to the dealer so i was able to explain better what i needed, i went a couple of times and they couldnt find the bulb but its there they just gotta try diff. ways to find it in their system.

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      09-11-2011 10:12 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by gianlucaT View Post
      its easy these guys are doing unneccesary work.. all u gotta do is take out the ashray take off the screws.. then on the bottom are to tabs with flathead you pry softly up n it should come right out..then the black bulb housing comes apart dont evn gotta take it apart from cigarette lighter.
      the only way to get to the f... bulb in my 98 Passat is to remove the whole center console, which is not hard btw