Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: All VW brakes squeak.

1. 11-06-2004 10:44 PM #1
      I used to work at a vw dealer and ALL the VW brakes squeak! It's a combination of brake dust and condensation on the rotors. The new brake pads that are used these days are metallic, therefore the dust is metallic. You'll probably notice that your brakes squeak mostly in the morning when you're first backing out of your driveway. When you go to drive your car the next time, have look at the rotors and see how rusty they look. Thats from parking your car with hot or warm brakes and when they cool down they collect moisture and form surface rust. The first few brake applications are cleaning off that corrosion making squealing or grinding sounds. To get rid of that noise, you need to: A. Wash your car with a pressure washer and spray off the rotors while doing so. B. You can try going to your local parking lot and tapping your brakes while driving backwards or sometimes forwards works too. Backwards is not the normal rotation direction so it may knock some grit loose that at normally wouldn't going forwards. It's worked for me, worth a try. It's not just VW that has squeaky brakes either, it's most new cars with metallic pads. I just had new brakes put on my Ford work van and they squeal like hell.

I posted this on another question, but I know most people are frustrated with it, so I thought i'd share.

2. 11-06-2004 10:49 PM #2
      why did you double post

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1672438

I think this might help you

http://www.driftpimps.com/Posting.html

Modified by GLI_1.8T at 8:52 PM 11-6-2004

3. 11-06-2004 10:51 PM #3
      Just for info sake, I see people asking this question all the time, thought it might be helpful.

laying the smack down from MA for 15 years
      Vehicles
      '14 Cdale Carbon Synapse, '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      11-07-2004 11:35 AM #4
      my 84, 86, 89, and 91 GTIs never squeeled. It must be a MK4 thing
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

Vehicles
      2011 Audi S4
      11-07-2004 05:08 PM #5
      dude, thank you for posting this...i'm sure there are so many of us out there wondering why the hell our new brakes squeak...i'm fortunate enough to have a service manager for a grandfather, & i know the automotive things that "just happen" with cars, like squeaky brakes... to a helpful post

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan SEL
      11-07-2004 05:48 PM #6
      I'm not buying it. Sounds like something my dealer would tell me. No offense. While it may be the case at times I don't think it's the case for most people here complaining about their squeeky brakes. I've heard lots of reasons why they may squeek and this is definitly one of them but I've cleaned the fuuuug outta my brakes and they still squeek 2 minutes after cleaning them. can't speak for everyone here but I think in my case my pads may be glazed over. I still haven't found a solution and it still annoys the hell outta me whenever I brake but the problem will be fixed sooner or later. The squeeks did go away when I had my rotors resurfaced/de-glazed but it came back about a month later when my rotors smoothed back out. I honestly don't think it's a dust issue in some/most cases here....

Plus if it was in most new cars (these 'new' brakes you speak of)...how come when I pull up to the stop light, my cars the only one sqeeking like an old POS taxi cab while the new lexus/acura that pulls up next to me and all around me, etc etc, is quiet like everyone else?

Modified by b.schulz at 9:50 PM 11-7-2004

11-07-2004 07:55 PM #7
      i am on my 3rd jetta, i've had a mk2, mk3, and now my GLI ...the GLI is the first one that squeaks

8. 11-07-2004 09:23 PM #8
      Mine has 18K and still moans like Chewbacca everytime I reverse and brake. Can't stand it! Everyone looks at you too when you're parking, it's sooooo loud. POS!!!! This is my 8th VW, and with the sunroof rattles and the rattles in the rear along with the brakes.. Can't wait till my lease is up. Hoping the MKV GTI is better.

9. 11-07-2004 11:33 PM #9
      Sorry everyone, I should have been more clear. The problem I saw with the brake issues when I worked at VW were generally only with the MK4's. The solutions I talked about didn't work all the time but they did help alot in most cases. The reason it sounds like something a dealer would tell you is because that's what VWAG would tell the dealer about the issue. That's why they came out with those brochures. Some of the MK4's never did it at all. It was very frustrating when I worked at the dealership to tell the repeat brake squeal customers that the new pads "just did that?". I would suggest saving up your pennies and buying some cross-drilled rotors and aftermarket pads if you squeal just WON'T go away. Regarding other new cars not squealing as much, I don't know what to say. I did notice however, that the MK4's throw up a hell of alot of brake dust.

Modified by ghostridermk317ozf1s at 3:35 AM 11-8-2004

10. 11-08-2004 08:09 AM #10
      I changed the pads to Mintex Reds on both my GLI and the 20th. No squeekies for me. Wet, dry, rusty. All gone.

11. 11-08-2004 08:16 AM #11
      My MK4 gti doesn't squeak at all. Weird...

Vehicles
      2014 S4
      11-08-2004 02:40 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by GLI_1.8T »
      why did you double post

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1672438

I think this might help you

http://www.driftpimps.com/Posting.html

Modified by GLI_1.8T at 8:52 PM 11-6-2004

Don't be a d i c k at least he is adding something to Vortex unlike you

BPC>>Dubs - I am not only a member, I am also your father

I wish I was a derivative so I could lay tangent to your curves

13. 11-08-2004 02:50 PM #13
      mine don't squeak at all. oem pads and rotors.

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan SEL
      11-08-2004 02:52 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by ghostridermk317ozf1s »
      . I did notice however, that the MK4's throw up a hell of alot of brake dust.

Modified by ghostridermk317ozf1s at 3:35 AM 11-8-2004

Seriously. They throw up waaay too much brake dust. I'm thinking of changing my pads in hopes that my squeeks will go away AND my level of dust will lower. Cleaning Aristo's suckkkkks.

Vehicles
      2008 Touareg V6, 2011 A3 TDI
      11-08-2004 02:53 PM #15
      mine just started this week. Seems to be commin from the back though
      I changed the fronts to Mintex pads a while back, but never the backs....perhaps they need changin?

16. 11-08-2004 02:59 PM #16
      Just for info sake, I see people asking this question all the time, thought it might be helpful.

I've certainly wondered, so I thank you for the info.

Vehicles
      337 & MkII Coupe
      11-08-2004 03:05 PM #17
      I don't buy that either. Brake noise is caused by vibration, not humidity, rust, or whatever. When they squeal, there is some part vibrating, plaing and simple.

Mine are OEM, and the only time they ever squealed was when they had a foreign object embedded in the pad. Funny enough, I took it to the VW dealer and they said pretty much what you said. I never took my car back to them. I instead took it to a dealer farther away, where they know their asses from a hole in the ground, and they found the object, removed it, and hence silenced the squeal. Oh, and covered it under warrranty

18. 11-08-2004 03:09 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by chino. »
      mine don't squeak at all. oem pads and rotors.

Same here, 19,500 miles and never any sounds. Perfectly smooth and dead quiet?

19. 11-09-2004 12:43 AM #19
      I don't mean to be a smart @ss, but how can you say these things don't cause brake noise, when you, yourself, had debris on your braking surface that caused the noise? If your brakes have a vibration issue, there's something else going on.

Vehicles
      2011 Audi S4
      11-09-2004 12:45 AM #20
      i've been getting hard-core squeaking lately...VW doesnt do ANYthing to help????

Vehicles
      337 & MkII Coupe
      11-09-2004 03:21 AM #21
      I don't mean to be a smart @ss, but how can you say these things don't cause brake noise, when you, yourself, had debris on your braking surface that caused the noise? If your brakes have a vibration issue, there's something else going on.

It was not rust, or any other fine grain debris. When I said foreign object, I meant more like a pebble.

Vehicles
      Eos (2007), Karmann Ghia (1969)
      11-09-2004 07:26 AM #22
      My 20AE squeaks everytime at this year (in the spring as well) when the outside temperature is around 35-45 degrees. I've come to accept it.

Quote, originally posted by abdrury »
      i've been getting hard-core squeaking lately...VW doesnt do ANYthing to help????