Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Beetle Tail Light Removal?

1. 11-07-2004 01:25 PM #1
      Search is down both here and on TDIclub.com - no help. How do you remove the tail light to replace a bulb? Daughter has a brake light out. I removed the black knob but it doesn't budge - is there something else holding it? I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks!

2. 11-07-2004 02:10 PM #2
      After bloodying my fingertips and cutting my hand I finally popped it out! The bulb checked good with an OHM meter - put it back in and it worked . The bulb seemed loose in the socket so I pulled up on the contacts to give it more tension. Works fine now. I also put some dielectric grease on the contacts and the plug terminal - they were all dry from the factory (looks as though they never had any applied - ever). Any body else ever had this happen? With the tail lights on and the brake applied, the tail light on the right side would go out and the brake light on the same side would not come on. The bulb was good - I am assuming a bad contact.

3. 11-17-2004 11:31 PM #3
      how to remove it? my light is out too

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 VW NB 1.8T APH
      11-18-2004 10:20 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by marroccop »
      Search is down both here and on TDIclub.com - no help. How do you remove the tail light to replace a bulb? Daughter has a brake light out. I removed the black knob but it doesn't budge - is there something else holding it? I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks!

Remove the inside knob like you did. Then from the outside use a plastic knife or spoon handle and shove it under the weather stripping at about 4:00 position towards the trunk on the left and 8:00 position if on the right.
      Pry that sucker out.
      There is a plastic tab up and away that comes out last and goes back in first when reinstalling. It is at about 10:00 on the left and 2:00 on the right.

5. 11-18-2004 12:58 PM #5
      Alternative to prying...and screwing up your paint...
      Get an auto body suction tool (I just use a turbo toilet plunger!!)
      Take off the inner knob.
      Wet the light surface with windex or such for a good seal.
      Attach plunger in center of light lens and pull away from the license plate.
      This really works, and you won't risk your paint or cracking the lens with a pry tool.
      Good Luck!!

Vehicles
      2002 VW Ruf Bug
      11-23-2004 12:38 PM #6
      Marroccop,

Had the exact same problem, although it might have been the left rear. Tail lights worked, but when you depressed the brake pedal with the lights on, the bulb (brake light) would go out! Very weird, as the brake lights worked fine when the lights were off during the day??

Anyhow, dealer replaced the bulb and cleaned contacts as you did, and it's been fine since. Mine (the bulb) also had never been out/replaced from the factory, and the tech told me the contacts were quite dry and corroded. Now that I think of it, he actually wired in a new bulb socket in addition to the bulb. All under warranty.

"Hollywood"

7. 11-23-2004 10:13 PM #7
      You gotta love the toilet plunger trick! It really works and no risk of scratching your paint Just have to remember that one edge pulls out first, then the other - like on the front turn signals.