Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 899 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Men's Basketball

1. Senior Member
      11-21-2004 08:19 AM #1
      I went online to read about last night's UConn game at espn.

Check out the "gameflow" chart ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/...50041.

You scroll over it, and it gives the score and time. Pretty neat.

Nice write-up on Boone: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/...27988.

2. 11-21-2004 08:43 PM #2
      Boone is a monster.
      I really like his game.

I went to see the pre-season game against Bryant (they played hard) and I'm going to their next game next week against Fla Intl.

3. 11-21-2004 10:46 PM #3
      It'l be Duke Versus somebody again, you can count on it. Oh and Dicky V's usual Duke nut roasting. OH BABIY, DA DUKIES ARE HEAR .

I hate the ACC

Go BIGTEN!

4. 11-21-2004 11:53 PM #4
      The National Championship will go to someone from the Big East and it won't be UCONN or Syracuse, it will be PITTSBURGH BABY!!!!!

LET'S GO PITT!

5. 11-22-2004 07:06 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by JohnnyDangerous »

I hate the ACC

Go BIGTEN!

I'm the exact opposite. Can't stand Big 11 bball. It's terrible to watch. It's more about who has the biggest goon than the better players.

El que se enoja pierde

6. 11-22-2004 07:07 AM #6
      The Big East is stacked with good teams this year.

If its not Uconn I'll be rooting for any Big East team and against any ACC team

7. 11-22-2004 07:09 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by HondaGuy »
      If its not Uconn I'll be rooting for any Big East team and against any ACC team

boooooooooooo

Dukies all the way

El que se enoja pierde

8. 11-22-2004 07:55 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by HondaGuy »
      The Big East is stacked with good teams this year.

If the Big Easy Conference is stacked, then I guess the ACC is overloaded with good teams!

Can't wait for the ACC conference season to start, this year is going to be something to watch with Wake and G Tech the early favorites followed by NC State, UNC and Maryland. Duke is going to be an interesting team to watch early in the season, being that they are not picked in the top 4 of the conference since the mid 1990's.

G Tech!

9. Global Moderator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      11-22-2004 09:05 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by 130_R »

If the Big Easy Conference is stacked, then I guess the ACC is overloaded with good teams!

Can't wait for the ACC conference season to start, this year is going to be something to watch with Wake and G Tech the early favorites followed by NC State, UNC and Maryland. Duke is going to be an interesting team to watch early in the season, being that they are not picked in the top 4 of the conference since the mid 1990's.

G Tech!

ACC is going to be a bloodbath this year and really is a toss up. Duke doesn't have the depth it once had but Coach K is going to be able to deal w/that. UNC finally has **some** depth and have FINALLY kept all their players.

All I have to say is..

Go Heels!!!!

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-22-2004 09:13 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by David@vwvortex »

ACC is going to be a bloodbath this year and really is a toss up. Duke doesn't have the depth it once had but Coach K is going to be able to deal w/that.

I always expect Duke to be one of the top teams. As much as I loath them I have to respect them.

UNC finally has **some** depth and have FINALLY kept all their players.

All I have to say is..

Go Heels!!!!

Their depth didn't matter against Santa Clara.

11. Global Moderator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      11-22-2004 09:37 AM #11
      No comment...

<runs for cover>

Felton is back so that will help against BYU.

Key thing is that May and him both stay healthy this year.

12. 11-22-2004 01:12 PM #12
      UCLA Bruins undefeated and have a better record than the 'Zona Wildcats. That has happened for a looooooong time

13. 11-23-2004 09:03 PM #13
      Huskies are gonna make some noise these year boys and girls: Pac 10 player of the year in the making:

14. 11-24-2004 09:05 AM #14
      UCONN

15. 11-24-2004 11:00 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by POPE »
      Huskies are gonna make some noise these year boys and girls: Pac 10 player of the year in the making:

GO DAWGS!!!

16. 11-24-2004 11:05 AM #16
      Surprisingly, the Iowa Hawkeyes seem to be stirring things up out in Hawaii. They beat #11 Louisville and #13 Texas so far. This was supposed to be a down year for them too. GO HAWKS!

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      11-24-2004 11:08 AM #17
      No team can hang with the Illini right now. Just ask Delaware St. and Florida A&M

Great, now that I've said that, we'll lose to Oakland tonight ...

Misanthrope extraordinaire

18. 11-25-2004 12:05 PM #18
      Felton is back so that will help against BYU.

Key thing is that May and him both stay healthy this year.

Too bad the best PG and post player in the ACC both reside in Atlanta.

Going to be a great year for ACC ball, my only question is Wake Forest and Kansas really #1? Kansas lost to Georgia Tech last year in tourney with the Jackets best shooter on the bench with an injury, and Tech didn't lose but two role players.

19. 11-29-2004 12:52 PM #19
      go heels
      i think that they will go all the way

20. Member
      11-29-2004 01:00 PM #20
      I got a question for UCONN fandom ...Why the Hell did Calhoun schedule for his team to play exihibition games in England instead of the Pre season NIT or such??? If you don't play decent competition until later in the seasons whats the point??? Maybe he thinks they are'nt ready but so what throw the ball out there and see what happens???? You might be surprised

21. Senior Member
      11-29-2004 01:19 PM #21
      I'm actually o.k. with them going there and playing these games, rather than what they've done in past years recently and beating up on small schools, schools the likes of where I went: Fairfield.

But, I agree, a pre-season tournament would be better.

An aside, which I've posted in here before ...

When we lived in NJ, it would be rare for a Fairfield game to be televised. One was on, so I made a point of watching it. They were playing similar competition, Iona or the like. My wife walks in, sees what I'm watching, and asks in all seriousness, "why are you watching high school basketball?"

22. Member
      11-29-2004 01:30 PM #22
      Oh they still will play the CT world tour...Fairfield, Central, Quinniapiac, Hartford..You need a few cupcakes but you also need some challenges to see what your team is made out of.... Does anyone know what the sked looks like anyway...

23. Senior Member
      11-29-2004 01:33 PM #23
      It's in here: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/.

I was just looking at it this morning, and bitching that I don't get any CT PBS station on cable.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-29-2004 01:41 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by Cooper »
      I was just looking at it this morning, and bitching that I don't get any CT PBS station on cable.

CT PBS only show the Women's games.

I just scored 1st row seats for Saturday's game against Indiana.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      11-29-2004 01:52 PM #25
      Anyone else looking forward to the Wake / Illinois game?

26. Senior Member
      11-29-2004 01:55 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »
      I just scored 1st row seats for Saturday's game against Indiana.

I've been looking at stubhub.com, and I'm waiting for a friend to indicate which games she's interested in seeing.

27. Member
      11-29-2004 01:59 PM #27
      I might try to score some tickets for the Providence game at the Dunk...That and hopefully I can get the Espn Full Court package from my half assed cable provider....Very few UCONN games other than Espn games are on TV in MA and I want them all

Vehicles
      B7 Ibis White
      11-29-2004 02:03 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by ed rooney »
      I might try to score some tickets for the Providence game at the Dunk...

I'll be at that one, along with PC/Syracuse in January.

29. Senior Member
      11-29-2004 02:06 PM #29
      Hmmm, I should also look into Providence tickets.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-29-2004 02:09 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by GSTGuy »

I always like to see good teams matchup against each other early in the season instead of playing a creampuff school. It should be a heck of a game.

Can the Illini make this a statement game to show everyone that they are for real?

31. 11-30-2004 12:29 AM #31
      watch out for washington..they are going tear it up this year.
      matt

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-30-2004 09:38 AM #32
      Here is a nice little article about UConn's London trip. It is encouraging to say the least.

Quote »
      Coach Jim Calhoun said he was going to use UConn's four-game tour of London to solidify his rotation. He said he wanted to see players in extended stretches and determine which combinations worked and which didn't.

Here's a look at some of the players in question and where they stand now that the team is home.

Rashad Anderson: His numbers on the tour weren't good (34.5 percent on threes), but his role as the go-to outside scorer has not changed. Anderson proved he could play in the heat of the NCAA Tournament. No four-game exhibition tour is going to undo that.

Hilton Armstrong: He is a given to get minutes off the bench. Armstrong was never spectacular in London but was steady, averaging 7.5 points and 5.8 rebounds. His status seems unchanged.

Josh Boone: He didn't have a dominating trip. He played very well in the second game against London Towers (22 points, 13 rebounds) but that was the only time he hinted at his promise. No matter. Calhoun wasn't really looking for Boone to prove anything. Boone shot 59.1 percent on free throws during the trip. If the sophomore center can improve that percentage to 70 percent, it will make the Huskies extremely difficult to defend.

"That would stop people from using the Hack-a-Shaq method," Boone said.

Denham Brown: There could have been a squeeze in minutes here because of Rudy Gay, but Brown seems determined not to let that happen. He shot well (41.7 percent on threes) and used his strength to rebound (5.3 average), especially in the final two games when he grabbed 14.

Rudy Gay: On the bus after Friday's game against Brighton, the team gathered around the laptops to watch Gay soar through the lane, catch a missed shot with one hand and dunk, all in the same motion. He did other things, too. Gay made 6 of 10 threes and averaged a team-high 15.5 points. He had 11 assists, second on the team, and averaged 6.5 rebounds. All in 21 minutes a game.

Antonio Kellogg: The freshman is still trying to learn the point guard position, something that became clear against the experienced professionals in London. He averaged 12.3 minutes on the trip and had five assists and six turnovers. No doubt he would be more comfortable at shooting guard but the Huskies need him to spell Marcus Williams. He brings defensive energy to the position and his inexperience should matter less against younger opponents.

Ed Nelson: He averaged 16.3 bruising minutes on the trip. Nelson made his case for minutes, especially against muscular opponents (Pittsburgh) that attempt to bully teams inside the lane. He also showed that he is solid with the ball (four assists and one turnover). Nelson led the team in time spent on the floor and left London with a cut lip (an elbow in the Milton Keynes game) and some hard-won respect.

Ryan Thompson: He was trying to make a case as a player that can stop a slide with solid play. He may have made his point but his tentativeness from outside (Thompson attempted only five shots on the trip) will limit his minutes. Look for him to get the Shamon Tooles minutes.

Charlie Villanueva: UConn was hoping Villanueva would show the form he displayed during the first two weeks of practice. That didn't happen.

And yet, Villanueva averaged 8.0 points, 5.6 rebounds in 16.5 minutes in four games. He also had six assists against three turnovers. This proves that even when Villanueva seems off his form, he still puts up numbers.

If he plays with the energy he showed against Brighton Friday, it will be bad news for UConn opponents.

Marcus White: Made his case the first night against London Towers, with 12 points and 15 rebounds in 22 minutes. Played only 24 minutes in the final three games. Look for White when the Huskies are getting beat off the glass.

Marcus Williams: Easily the biggest mover on the trip.

The Huskies left the United States wondering if Williams could solidify the point guard position. They come home knowing that Williams is their point guard.

He had 35 assists and 17 turnovers and seems to be gradually rounding into the kind of player who could give them 30 or 35 minutes each night.

33. 11-30-2004 10:12 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by GSTGuy »

I'll be there!

PAINT THE HALL ORANGE!

Modified by watanabe2k at 9:16 AM 11-30-2004

34. 12-01-2004 12:45 PM #34
      And as usual, the ACC whips the crap out of the Big Ten.

Just hope Illinois can salvage something tonight to give the Big Ten some pride like Wisconsin did last night.

And once again, I must say:

"PAINT THE HALL ORANGE" - T-shirts are only $5 on campus!

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      12-01-2004 01:51 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by watanabe2k »
      And as usual, the ACC whips the crap out of the Big Ten.

Just hope Illinois can salvage something tonight to give the Big Ten some pride like Wisconsin did last night.

And once again, I must say:

"PAINT THE HALL ORANGE" - T-shirts are only $5 on campus!

Wish I was still there!!!! How long you been there? I need some new U of I shirts

Page 1 of 899 123451151101501 ... LastLast