Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 899 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Men's Basketball

1. 01-06-2005 07:07 AM #71
      I was at that Uconn disaster last night.

Go back and read what I said about Marcus Williams and double it. He absolutely blows.

2. Senior Member
      01-06-2005 07:37 AM #72
      We're going to the Rutgers - UConn game next Saturday.

3. 01-06-2005 07:49 AM #73
      Quote, originally posted by HondaGuy »
      I was at that Uconn disaster last night.

Go back and read what I said about Marcus Williams and double it. He absolutely blows.

Yeah, for a game or two I thought he had gotten the hang of it....but not in this game! My wife even noticed....she was saying "They don't really have a good one of those....what-do-you-call-them guys (point guards). Neither one of them is that good!"

I was hoping they'd turn it around, but it seems like every game they lose, they're just destined to lose from the beginning and they never can get back in the swing of it. I think that's where Taliek really made a difference in previous years. He would score a basket or two himself and turn things around. Marcus tried that a few times in the first half and kept getting swatted. Yuck.

Modified by BrandonC at 9:41 AM 1-6-2005

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      01-06-2005 09:14 AM #74
      Quote, originally posted by Cooper »
      Six teams in the top 25 lost yesterday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard

Wow, WV got spanked!!!

Oh well ... Go Illini!

Misanthrope extraordinaire

5. 01-06-2005 09:30 AM #75
      >>Yeah, for a game or two I thought he had gotten the hang of it....but not in this game! My wife even noticed....she was saying "They don't really have a good one of those....what-do-you-call-them guys (point guards). Neither one of them is that good!"

Every game we go to (we've been to most of the Uconn games this year) I have to listen to my friend [justifiably] trash Williams all game long.

Then I'm in the men's room at last nights game with about about a thousand other guys and some guy yells out "Hey all you Talik Brown basher's! Who are you missing the most now???"

I was laughing my ass off.

6. Member
      01-06-2005 11:05 AM #76
      I got some bad news for you Honda Guy the problem is most definatly is not Williams, although that freakin pass he tried to make from the top of the key was flat out moronic at the end of the game...Number one none of Uconn's Big men have a back to the basket post up game Boone is close, everyone else sucks...

Rashad Anderson is'nt hitting his shot and it seems he won't put the ball on the floor?

The biggest problem is Calhoun he allowed BC and UMass to set the pace 30 seconds before every shot....Without Okafor and Gordon Uconn's half court game sucks....What Calhoun needs to go back to the Full court press and speed up the game which is how UConn used to crush teams before the Okafor era....Every team in the Big East with the exception of Syracuse will try to slow the game down..

7. Senior Member
      01-06-2005 11:12 AM #77
      You guys that actually get to watch the UConn games are killing me.

I even called Comcast last week to add ESPN Full Court, as the UConn game was on. Comcast doesn't offer Full Court for my town.

I may have a couple of tickets to next Saturday's UConn - Rutgers game. If anyone is interested, and I have tickets unused, let me know ...

Oh, Black Eyed Sally's for dinner after the game, too.

Last edited by Cooper; 12-22-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Vehicles
      B7 Ibis White
      01-06-2005 11:15 AM #78
      I would have taken you up on that, but I'm going to PC-Syracuse.

9. Member
      01-06-2005 11:27 AM #79
      Cooper, I called on Tuesday to get the Full Court Package after about 10 minutes of a run around them saying we don't carry that channel and do you want the Tennis package? I got a little pissed and said it is a Pay per view College basketball channel and we have 6 extra Espn channels on the digital cable your telling me one of those channels is'nt the right one?? Half hour later I had Full Court

Those people don't have a clue, I'd look deeper into I bet you can get it...I have Adelphia cable which is the bastard child in the cable game...And they had it...

Of Course watching Uconn lose sucked but they also had Kan, KY, Cuse,Indiana

10. 01-06-2005 11:34 AM #80
      Quote, originally posted by GSTGuy »
      Wow, WV got spanked!!!

Oh well ... Go Illini!

15-0 baby!

Though I don't know if we will get out the next few weeks without a loss or two. Gotta go to Northwestern, where we lost last year, then Iowa who is hot at home, and then up to Wisconsin, where we can never win. Well at least we have away at Purdue and then home against Penn State before the tough ones begin. Still never know who is gonna beat us in the Big Ten.

Edit* - What the hell, Iowa lost to Michigan?

Modified by watanabe2k at 8:37 AM 1-6-2005

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-06-2005 11:50 AM #81
      You guys that actually get to watch the UConn games are killing me.

That's funny watching their games has been killing me....

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      01-06-2005 11:52 AM #82
      Quote, originally posted by watanabe2k »

Edit* - What the hell, Iowa lost to Michigan?

I was just going to mention this when reading your post. I don't know what to make of it, but I thought, if anyone in the Big Ten, Iowa would give us a run.

Then again, the Big Ten is usually a tough conference, tougher than people give them credit for lately. Everyone just plays well and beats on eachother during the season. I'd rather get the inevitable Illinois loss(es) out of the way early anyway, then go on a nice run to set up March.

On a side note, anyone notice the lack of coverage for Illinois? I mean, people still talk about UConn and GT and Kansas (esp. Kansas) while U of I is the #1 team in the nation. It just seems that compared to previous #1 teams, Illinois isn't getting the national attention and respect they deserve (media wise).

13. Senior Member
      01-06-2005 12:01 PM #83
      What town are you in?

The person at Comcast couldn't find it on their system. She then went to ask someone that knows more about their sports packages. he said that they all just received a memo the day before, and that Comcast is only providing Full Court to Boston and Brookline.

I mentioned it to someone at work. he doesn't have Comcast. But, when he asked his cable company, he, too, was told that it was unavailable in his town.

14. Member
      01-06-2005 12:20 PM #84
      I live on the South Shore...The people answering the phones have no clue what you want...Comcast I thought was in partnership with Espn on this whole deal...It is a Pay Per View deal which might be the confusion its a $ 100 bucks till March...

Look on your cable if you have the 6 extra Espn channels on like channel 500 or something you probably can get it..

The customer service people thought I was asking about another channel to be added to the regular line up...When I mentioned Pay Per View the light went on... You might not be able to get it then again some fool might be giving you a bum steer

15. Senior Member
      01-06-2005 12:29 PM #85
      Thanks. I have ESPN Classic (48), ESPN (49), and ESPN2 (50), and ESPN-HD (849) and , as listed here: http://www.comcast.com/Support...D=102.

There are aome other sports channels inthe 200s, including ESPN news, but no other ESPNs listed.

I'm SOL?

16. 01-06-2005 03:14 PM #86
      I was just going to mention this when reading your post. I don't know what to make of it, but I thought, if anyone in the Big Ten, Iowa would give us a run.

Then again, the Big Ten is usually a tough conference, tougher than people give them credit for lately. Everyone just plays well and beats on eachother during the season. I'd rather get the inevitable Illinois loss(es) out of the way early anyway, then go on a nice run to set up March.

On a side note, anyone notice the lack of coverage for Illinois? I mean, people still talk about UConn and GT and Kansas (esp. Kansas) while U of I is the #1 team in the nation. It just seems that compared to previous #1 teams, Illinois isn't getting the national attention and respect they deserve (media wise).

I don't expect the attention, everyone is just waiting for the day we break down and lose a game, so they can run and start covering something else. I'm just enjoying our time as #1. But like all good things, I know its going to have to come to an end some time.

17. 01-06-2005 03:43 PM #87
      >>I got some bad news for you Honda Guy the problem is most definatly is not Williams, although that freakin pass he tried to make from the top of the key was flat out moronic at the end of the game...Number one none of Uconn's Big men have a back to the basket post up game Boone is close, everyone else sucks...
      Rashad Anderson is'nt hitting his shot and it seems he won't put the ball on the floor?
      The biggest problem is Calhoun he allowed BC and UMass to set the pace 30 seconds before every shot....Without Okafor and Gordon Uconn's half court game sucks....What Calhoun needs to go back to the Full court press and speed up the game which is how UConn used to crush teams before the Okafor era....Every team in the Big East with the exception of Syracuse will try to slow the game down..

No, Williams *is* the biggest, though not only, problem Uconn has this year. I've been to a lot of games and in person its a lot easier to notice that he just doesn't "see" the court very well. I can't tell you how many times he's not seen Anderson standing wide open near the 3-point line waiting for a kick out in transition that never comes. You don't see it on TV but its obvious in person. Granted, yesterday he had a particularly bad game (in every respect) and it wasn't just missing Anderson when he was open and that last dumb turnover. What about getting his pocket picked cleanly with ~ 2 minutes left? He makes very poor decisions way too often. Price's injury is way more important than anyone expected.

I agree that post play sucks. Freakin' Boone is an inch shorter than Charlie V. yet somehow manages to play like he's a foot bigger! NBA-caliber talent my ass. Look at Charlie's numbers; he's good for maybe 8 points and 4 rebounds agame while Boone always seems to get a double-double. Charlie's an average college player at best.

A local columnist pointed out a while ago that this team isn't that good when Boone is your top scorer. Boone's a great player (easily the best guy on the team) but there's no way he should be the leading scorer. These other guys need to step up and let Boone do what her does best.

Uconn loves to run but teams have learned that if you play that slow down game they don't seem to have an answer for it. Umass did it to them and now BC. Hell, Sacred Heart did it and they had the game tied with 10 minutes left to play when Uconn should have been like a 30-point favorite.

They have a number of issues to address but in my mind the most important is at point guard. He's the guy that runs your offense and sets the pace.

Cooper I would love to buy those tix but I have an appointment. I can only hope it gets cancelled!

18. Senior Member
      01-06-2005 03:47 PM #88
      Remember when the big story in the papers was whether Charlie V. was jumping stratght to the NBA?

As posted above, he's played nowhere near his billing.

19. 01-06-2005 03:59 PM #89
      Remember when the big story in the papers was whether Charlie V. was jumping stratght to the NBA?

As posted above, he's played nowhere near his billing.

Yep. I always wondered why there was SO MUCH attention paid to him when he really never stepped up and played that well. He's had moments of brilliance, but was never consistent. I'm glad (for obvious reasons) that Josh is finally getting the attention that he's been working for.

Going to the 1/22 game against Providence with my Aunt....hopefully they'll play better in that one!!

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-13-2005 09:32 AM #90
      Did anyone catch the UNC vs. Georgia Tech game last night? That was one of the worst ass whippings of a "good" team I've seen in a loooooong time. UNC dominated that game. I was extremely impressed with how UNC played defense. If the Tar Heels can step it up like this most of the season they are going to be tough to beat.

21. 01-13-2005 09:58 AM #91
      I saw the first few minutes and then I saw no need to keep watching the bloodbath.

22. Member
      01-13-2005 10:14 AM #92
      As a Kansas fan, I'd just offer a word of warning to UNC fans. They play pretty, they play fast, they blow people out - good teams and bad. But come tournament time, they're going to run into tougher games, and Roy simply won't adjust. He doesn't adjust. He's too stubborn. They'll get in that game, they'll get hit in the face and it will be close down the stretch, and they won't know how to handle it.

It happened almost 15 years in a row at KU. It'll happen again.

23. Member
      01-13-2005 11:33 AM #93
      Aside from the guards GT is a joke..You heard me joke...Shencher can't play against good big men he sucks...he just gets pushed around....And if you can D up the guards you can beat them....

At the rate Uconn is going the Big East is the only thing that might keep them in the top 25 Young Talent without leadership from the Vets is'nt a good recipe...Rashad Anderson forgot how to shoot and will someone help Boone find an inside game.....

24. 01-13-2005 12:03 PM #94
      New Duke motto:
      Come git yer whoopin'

All ACC finals this year.....mark my words.

El que se enoja pierde

25. 01-13-2005 12:08 PM #95
      Quote, originally posted by JohnnyDangerous »
      It'l be Duke Versus somebody again, you can count on it. Oh and Dicky V's usual Duke nut roasting. OH BABIY, DA DUKIES ARE HEAR .

I hate the ACC

Go BIGTEN!

screw duke...but unc is the team marvin williams=diaper dandy baby

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      01-13-2005 12:10 PM #96
      Quote, originally posted by CheddaJetta »
      New Duke motto:
      Come git yer whoopin'

All ACC finals this year.....mark my words.

I'll mark them right up there with your words of the Pack smoking the Vikes in the playoffs

Go Illini!

27. 01-13-2005 12:13 PM #97
      Oh i'm much better at predicting basketball games
      El que se enoja pierde

28. 01-14-2005 02:22 PM #98
      I'll mark them right up there with your words of the Pack smoking the Vikes in the playoffs

Go Illini!

17-0! and 15th school to get to 1500 program wins!

Gotta keep winning!

Vehicles
      B7 Ibis White
      01-14-2005 03:35 PM #99
      What a great season we have in store. So many great teams, and great players that came back to school.

30. 01-14-2005 05:18 PM #100
      Dukies pulled out a W last night even though they looked terrible (credit to NC St.). Come git some!
      El que se enoja pierde

31. 01-14-2005 06:31 PM #101
      i've got 4 extra FRONT ROW tickets for tomorrow's uconn game.. anyone want them?

32. 01-16-2005 01:22 PM #102
      Well G3off, Cooper, how was the game???

33. Senior Member
      01-16-2005 02:27 PM #103
      It was great, although we were very high up in the Rutgers student section. Section 217, row CC.

I really like Boone, as I've said 1000 times on here before. The frontcourt (Boone, CV, and Gay) had a great game.

Went to http://www.agavehartford.com/ for appetizers before the game. It gets a The three of us split three appetizers.

We tried to get in to Coach's, but it was packed. Actually, we're really glad we want to Agave instead for something different.

Went to http://www.blackeyedsallys.com/ after the game, and it was , as always.

01-16-2005 02:45 PM #104

35. 01-16-2005 03:34 PM #105
      Quote, originally posted by HondaGuy »
      Well G3off, Cooper, how was the game???

it was ok.. along w/ the tickets i was trying to get rid of in my other post, we also had some that were 5 rows behind the uconn bench... man those are fun
      maybe 1 min into the game calhoun yells at one of his assistants "i don't give a **** about this game!"

just after halftime when rutgers was getting close it got even better it's like a show within the show..

at one point wiht like 12 min left he told marcus williams to get in the game.. well like 20 seconds later marcus comes running back from the scorers table to the bench with calhoun yelling" if you want to talk back to me you'll sit the bench the whole game".. maybe a minute later calhoun gets right in his face (less then 6" away) and screams... "what do you have to say to me now!"

lots of other good stuff i don't remember...
      when calhoun gets done drawing on his clipboard he just throws the pen on the ground and one of the assistants has to go running over to pick it up

Page 3 of 899 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast