Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 899 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Men's Basketball

1. 01-16-2005 08:07 PM #106
      I'm going to the game this coming Saturday (22nd) against Pittsburgh. Anyone else going to be there? I'll be sittin' down with the players' families! Nice.

2. Senior Member
      01-16-2005 08:35 PM #107
      As I've said 1000 times, Josh is my favorite player to come along in years.

I even said at yesterday's game that I watched him on TV in one of his first games, and said, "I really like the way he plays!"

He really plays in the "Dave DeBusschere style." Hard-nosed basketball. You don't have to be a big scorer to make it the NBA hall-of-fame.

http://www.hoophall.com/hallof...e.htm

3. 01-17-2005 02:13 PM #108
      Quote, originally posted by BrandonC »
      I'm going to the game this coming Saturday (22nd) against Pittsburgh. Anyone else going to be there? I'll be sittin' down with the players' families! Nice.

i will most likely be there.. not sure where we will be sitting yet

4. Senior Member
      01-17-2005 03:03 PM #109
      Yeah, the game's on tonight! I get to watch it. Until 9 pm tonight in high definition ... then I'll probably get booted to the basement as "24" takes over.

5. 01-17-2005 04:09 PM #110
      Oh, sweet! Didn't realize tonight's game was going to be on ESPN in HD. It just looks SO much better!

6. Senior Member
      01-17-2005 05:00 PM #111
      I know. I'm certainly not a technology snob. Hell, I just replaced my almost-30-year-old speakers last year. But, after watching a game on HD, you're really pissed when you have to watch something that's not HD.

7. 01-17-2005 05:03 PM #112
      Quote, originally posted by BrandonC »
      tonight's game was going to be on ESPN in HD. It just looks SO much better!

Quote, originally posted by Cooper »
      after watching a game on HD, you're really pissed when you have to watch something that's not HD.

I hate you guys

El que se enoja pierde

8. Senior Member
      01-17-2005 05:53 PM #113
      The older (only 7 years) 27" Zenith that I had was so friggin' fuzzy that you couldn't even read the scores in the corner.

I was going to buy something last year. But everything I read stated that prices were going to come down by a third in 2004. So, I put it off, and they did.

Prices are supposed to come down a lot again soon, when a couple of new factoried that make the glass for the large screens come online.

I was going to get a 30" TV, which would be the largest that would fit in the cabinet I have. Then, I went shopping and say some big screens. I said, "what the hell" and went with a 50" Sony. Got a killer deal from Crutchfield.com on it, too.

The first times I watched it, I actually sat there like I've never seen a TV before. Really, it was like if George Washington was looking at a TV. I was dumbfounded.

See my post in here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=2.

And, yes, that's UMass handing it to UConn last month on the screen. That was the afternoon day the TV arrived.

9. 01-17-2005 08:31 PM #114
      Well copy and paste that story for my wife and I

Coincidentally, right now we're using an older 26-27" Zenith for our main TV. The tuner is shot so it'll suddenly gain a lot of green and then go back to normal Everytime we walk through BB we see that Sony and are getting to the same "why not" attitude. Really for under 5k there are some very attractive sets now. But i know as soon as i start buying a TV, i have to buy a stereo to match and that's the real money pit since we have 0 stereo equipment.....unless you count the single speaker on the Z TV

Must resist urge to purchase AV equipment....

El que se enoja pierde

10. Senior Member
      01-17-2005 09:00 PM #115
      Exactly! We had to have the color, contrast, tint, sharpness, etc. adjusted in such a screwed-up way in the Zenith or else we'd get these bands of blurriness intermittently across the screen.

Who would have ever thought UConn uniforms were really blue!

11. 01-18-2005 12:09 AM #116
      Well, too bad that ESPN's "high-def" isn't really high def for most of its shows each night!! Let's take crappy SD video and add some bars on the side and show it on ESPN HD!!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Snap Orange Beetle
      01-18-2005 08:59 AM #117
      As I've said 1000 times, Josh is my favorite player to come along in years.

I even said at yesterday's game that I watched him on TV in one of his first games, and said, "I really like the way he plays!"

Cooper's wife here. All I hear during a UConn game is how great a player Josh Boone is. Anytime the announcers mention his name, Cooper looks at me like, "see, I told you". I'm starting to get a little worried with his admiration.

Last night, Cooper went into the garage for something right when Josh made a beautiful shot. I was so happy Cooper didn't see it as that is all I would have heard all night.

BTW - I do think he is a great player also.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Snap Orange Beetle
      01-18-2005 09:02 AM #118
      Quote, originally posted by CheddaJetta »
      Well copy and paste that story for my wife and I

Coincidentally, right now we're using an older 26-27" Zenith for our main TV. The tuner is shot so it'll suddenly gain a lot of green and then go back to normal Everytime we walk through BB we see that Sony and are getting to the same "why not" attitude. Really for under 5k there are some very attractive sets now. But i know as soon as i start buying a TV, i have to buy a stereo to match and that's the real money pit since we have 0 stereo equipment.....unless you count the single speaker on the Z TV

Don't resist. You won't believe what you're missing. It's amazing to have a clear picture with accurate color. And, it just seems like the Zenith was getting worse and worse. Right before we bought the new TV, I was playing around with the settings to try to get it to a decent level when all of a sudden, the picture became crystal clear. Cooper and I looked at each other like, "That's it!". Then, in a second, it got all fuzzy again. It was like the TV was teasing us, showing us how the picture should be.

14. 01-18-2005 09:57 AM #119
      Resist.

In a year or two plasmas will cost 1/2 what they do now and be better and there will be more stuff to watch than just some sporting events.

15. 01-18-2005 10:04 AM #120
      Really for under 5k there are some very attractive sets now. But i know as soon as i start buying a TV, i have to buy a stereo to match and that's the real money pit since we have 0 stereo equipment.....unless you count the single speaker on the Z TV

I got a new 46" Samsung DLP TV for $2300ish. The picture is AMAZING....I'm very happy with it. Perfect size for my room. I actually bought it at Sears, because they match other "brick and mortar" stores' online prices. They had it for $2800, and matched Circuit City at $2300. I also got a $200 rebate through Samsung for signing up for HD cable service! Nice.

Let me know if you've got questions about HDTV's....I did a bit of research before I bought mine.

16. 01-18-2005 10:13 AM #121
      Quote, originally posted by CoolChick »
      It's amazing to have a clear picture with accurate color.

We will probably buy one in the next 1.5 years. I just can't decide on a technology and then a brand That and my wife is always dipping into my electronics budget for....ugh....china or dining room stuff

I never understood why that football team from Cleveland is called "the Browns" until i caught a game on a different TV

El que se enoja pierde

17. Senior Member
      01-18-2005 10:37 AM #122
      Coolchick came home yeaterday and said, that she heard on the radio the number one desire for the Super Bowl. It wasn't food at parties or anything like that. It was that people want to find someone that has high definition to watch the game.

The 50" Sony JCD we bought was $2,799 with the matching Sony stand.

HondaGuy confirmed what I posted above. There is supposed to be another big price drop when these other factories that make the glass for the screens come online: http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2004/mft04122016.htm.

They already came down about 1/3 in price from December 2003 to December 2004

For us ... we just couldn't wait any longer. the Zenith's picture was that crappy.

In fact, we had two people over for Thanksgiving that otherwise would have been alone. One was a young guy that Coolchick works with. He was over from Austria (maybe Switzerland?), and we also wanted to treat him to typical American Thanksgiving food.

When Coolchick was telling people about the new TV last month, he commented, "that's good. You have such a beautiful house. But, you had such a crappy TV."

18. 01-20-2005 02:46 PM #123
      Quote, originally posted by POPE »
      Huskies are gonna make some noise these year boys and girls: Pac 10 player of the year in the making:

Truth, he is so small. I saw him at a huskies game. He is really a cool guy too. Chatted with him for a while.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      01-20-2005 02:47 PM #124
      Am I crazy for being a little scared about the game against Iowa tonight, even though they've struggled the past few games?

The biggest gut check will be @ Wisconsin on the 25th. They're so good at home, and they're playing some good ball ... to Bo Ryan, didn't think he'd do much with the team this year.

Should be some good games for us Illini fans in the coming weeks.

Misanthrope extraordinaire

20. 01-20-2005 02:56 PM #125
      Quote, originally posted by GSTGuy »
      Should be some good games for us Illini fans in the coming weeks.

I'll be happily rooting for their oponent

El que se enoja pierde

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      01-20-2005 03:10 PM #126
      I'll be happily rooting for their oponent

They're not the Bears

22. 01-20-2005 03:16 PM #127
      They're not the Bears

Nothing against the Illini, but i HATE big Eleven basketball. Always happy to watch the Big 11 go down come Tourney time

El que se enoja pierde

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      01-21-2005 10:47 AM #128
      to the Hawkeyes, they put up a great fight. I knew that one was going to be tough.

Hopefully we'll get past Wisconsin on their home court, that would be a huge psychological advantage, ending the longest home win streak in the nation.

24. Member
      01-21-2005 10:55 AM #129

Nothing against the Illini, but i HATE big Eleven basketball. Always happy to watch the Big 11 go down come Tourney time

Speaking of going down come tourney time, you're in for a treat with ol' Roy.

I guess I'm jumping the gun assuming you're a UNC fan. If not, disregard my above comment.

Modified by ultimate175 at 6:57 AM 1-21-2005

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      01-21-2005 11:19 AM #130
      Quote, originally posted by ultimate175 »

I guess I'm jumping the gun assuming you're a UNC fan. If not, disregard my above comment.

I'm pretty sure he is actually a Duke fan.

26. Member
      01-21-2005 12:19 PM #131
      Random thought here..I hate BC and now the idiot polls have them ranked #9...The have not beat anyone except a half assed UConn team Undefeated against cup cakes ...my ass....If I have to hear anything more about Craig " My only move is an Offensive Foul" Smith..I might puke....It particulally pisses me off the greedy holier than thou bastards are jumping to thee ACC to make more money..2 Things will happen the will lose money in travel and get their assed kicked.....The Big East made you and now you turn your back

27. 01-21-2005 12:20 PM #132
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »
      I'm pretty sure he is actually a Duke fan.

man, i gotta lay off the emoticons

El que se enoja pierde

28. 01-21-2005 01:51 PM #133
      to the Hawkeyes, they put up a great fight. I knew that one was going to be tough.

Hopefully we'll get past Wisconsin on their home court, that would be a huge psychological advantage, ending the longest home win streak in the nation.

man I was freaking out I hadn't seen Illinois lose at home in person since a few years ago when we lost to Purdue and Michigan St.

Still I think the streak ends at 19.

Vehicles
      B7 Ibis White
      01-21-2005 01:58 PM #134
      Quote, originally posted by ed rooney »
      Random thought here..I hate BC and now the idiot polls have them ranked #9...

They've played as difficult a schedule as UConn and are undefeated. They played at UCLA, at WVU, and Kent St which is always a tough team. 15-0 ranked 9th, with their so-so schedule is pretty fair, I think. If you think thats too high for them at 15-0, then UConn should be out of the top 25.

30. Member
      01-21-2005 02:46 PM #135
      BS the went double OT to beat Yale...They suck and it will catch up to them....Uconn is defending National Champ and that has always counted in the polls...UConn should be ready for the Big East Tourney its not where you are ranked now but later...

I hate BC scumbagmthrfrs

Vehicles
      B7 Ibis White
      01-21-2005 02:47 PM #136
      Quote, originally posted by ed rooney »

I hate BC scumbagmthrfrs

Were you beat up on Chestnut Hill previously?

32. Member
      01-21-2005 02:58 PM #137
      Not that I can recall ...In my opinion shared by others they are a second tier school defined by Doug Flutie...High and Mighty Catholic BS trying to be on par with ND..Living above their means now to cap it jumping to the ACC where they can't really compete due to their High academic standards where they will be another NC State or so...they are hoping to be the next Duke/ Miami Other than that I love BC

33. Senior Member
      01-21-2005 03:05 PM #138
      I'm a huge UConn fan. I was so-so towards BC, being Catholic and all and going to a Jesuit college myself. But, with my neighbor thinking that losing BC is a crippling blow to Big East basketball , I really couldn't care if they lost their next 10 games in a row.

I was at the Yale - BC game, and Yale should have won. BC needed 2 OT to beat Yale, one OT to beat Holy Cross, won another game on a last second shot, and barely got by 'Nova.

But, being undefeated does say something. They also play a pretty difficult schedule. Strength-of-Scheduleis 30th: http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2005/rpi.

Dan ... if my wife doesn't find someone from work to go, you have any interest in going to the Rutgers - Providence game with us?

Also, I just received volunteer information on the Bank of America Championship today.

Vehicles
      B7 Ibis White
      01-21-2005 05:35 PM #139

Dan ... if my wife doesn't find someone from work to go, you have any interest in going to the Rutgers - Providence game with us?

26th, right? I'm in, let me know.

35. Senior Member
      01-21-2005 05:56 PM #140

Page 4 of 899 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast