Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 890 of 899 FirstFirst ... 390790840880886887888889890891892893894 ... LastLast
    Results 31,116 to 31,150 of 31462

Thread: NCAA Men's Basketball

1. 04-04-2012 05:05 PM #31116
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      I agree. It makes a mockery of education and the game! These college coaches are told by the NCAA they have to adhere to graduation guidelines yet do these 1 and done kids ever see a single classroom in the 1 semester they spend on campus?! The NBA age rule is a joke and makes the college game ridiculous. For Williams and Calapari, etc, etc to have to hit the recruiting road the day after the season is over because they're about to lose a tone of underclassmen to the draft makes a complete mockery of college basketball. Just call it the NBA minor leagues/dev ball and pay these guys already, there’s nothing “student-athlete” about these guys, it’s pure business, zero education.
      NCAA doesn't have the balls to do what is right when it is making so much $$$
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Vehicles
      2003 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-04-2012 05:20 PM #31117
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6 View Post
      This is exactly right. Look at the BCS, or as I like to call it, the Big Crock of ****. Anyone who thinks it's a methodically correct and good way to do it is nuts. They just make SO much money off these bowl games that they have no reason to go to a playoff.

The NCAA becomes more and more of a joke each day, and their luck is gonna run out. I hope the ratings for the Bama-LSU game this year rose some questions. It's pathetic.
      03 Wolf in Blacksburg
      NY GIANTS SUPER BOWL XVLI CHAMPS! | BLUESHIRTS | Hala Madrid! | VCU RAMS

3. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      04-04-2012 05:37 PM #31118
      Exactly. And neither does the NBA...they helped make this a joke.
      I'd rather have kids go straight from HS to the pros than this 1 and done cr_p.

Either change the rule from 19 to 21 or remove it altogether! IMHO.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      04-04-2012 05:54 PM #31119
      I dont know why more players dont go overseas to play, and get paid $$

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-04-2012 05:54 PM #31120
      I think that college basketball should adopt the college baseball rule.

You either go after high school or you're "stuck" in college for three years. Hopefully it would get fringe kids that need some polishing into college while not wasting the time for guys like Dwight Howard, LeBron James and more recently, Anthony Davis.

Vehicles
      2003 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-04-2012 06:04 PM #31121
      Quote Originally Posted by AggvGtivr6 View Post
      I dont know why more players dont go overseas to play, and get paid $$
      I always wondered this. Spain has a pretty formidable league, it's a beautiful country and you'd get paid for an extra year. Didn't Rubio come from there? It might just a convenience thing. If you're only waiting one year to go to the pro's, it might just be easier to go to college for free.
      03 Wolf in Blacksburg
      NY GIANTS SUPER BOWL XVLI CHAMPS! | BLUESHIRTS | Hala Madrid! | VCU RAMS

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      04-04-2012 06:19 PM #31122
      I personally agree with a more than one and done system. But the NBA makes the rules, the NCAA has no dog in the fight. I like Cal's proposal of a guy gets closer to arbitration by staying in school. As of right now, it's pure financial disadvantage to stay- if you're ready. Harrison Barnes probably cost himself 5-7 million because last year, he would have been a top 5 pick, this year he's going late lottery. So there's a lost year of wages and a lower salary. It's hard to argue for staying. Put yourself in the situation, what would you do?

Making a 'mockery' of education is FLAT OUT WRONG. UK has had one player not complete their coursework in 2.5 years and it almost was enough to bring the whole system down with the APR. Are these guys Rhodes scholars? No, but neither were most of us. John Wall had a 3.6 and came back last summer and took classes. Brandon Knight had a 4.0 (better than me freshman year, now I'm a doc) and is a junior. That being said, the majority sort of coast through gen eds. Like thousands of other students. Did you ever drink or party your freshman year? Your parents thought you were making a mockery of education.

Making a 'mockery' of the game is what you want it to be. There are a few differnt types of OAD'ers- the OJ Mayo types and the ones Cal generally gets. OJ Mayo didn't give a ish and left his program in ruins. Derrick Rose aside (who was cleared 3 times by the NCAA clearninghouse-what coach wouldn't have played him) Cals guys really work and buy into the team concept- or their butt rides pine or is kicked off. Would he love to have them a few extra years? Heck yes he would, it's a lot easier to have studs for 2-3 years than build a new team each year. But the rules are the rules and you can't fault the kids for leaving early if they're ready. I would.
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      I do believe I've won TCL.
      I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 JSW TDI
      04-04-2012 07:32 PM #31123
      I don't think that's quite right. I would say that the NCAA has a vested interest in doing what is not right.

The NCAA makes basically 100% of their money on the b-ball tournament. They are terrified of the football powers leaving. "Student-athletes" are not employees. Everything else falls out from those three fundamental things.

Vehicles
      Rave Green
      04-04-2012 07:41 PM #31124
      Put yourself in the situation, what would you do?
      Personally, if I were good enough to play college ball and stand out like these guys do, I would stay for all four years. I am all about team play. College is all about team play. The NBA is 1 on 1 play pretty much. Also, there is nothing like having the crowd into every little thing that happens on the court. The only time an NBA crowd gets into it is the last maybe....quarter at most. That is one of the reasons why watching NCAA on tv is millions of times better than watching the NBA.

Idk, some of you may think I'm crazy (I don't blame you ) but there is nothing like the competitiveness of NCAA basketball
      Not Chris Whit's Flickr

@whit_yo

Quote Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
      OP Status update: jimmies definitely rustled.

10. 04-04-2012 07:48 PM #31125
      Quote Originally Posted by ed rooney View Post
      But thats my point. cal gets em ready for the NBA by showcasing them but there is something to be said for staying in college working on your game, physically and emotionally developing. But for everyone that developes in the NBA some willl lag behind due to immaturity if nothing else.

Pro game is a job playing 35 games is only 1/3 of an NBA season. If you go deep in the playoffs thats almost a 100 games thats a grind.

Take Lebron some college experience would have done him some good. He really does'nt have a well rounded game when it comes to other facets of the game. He gets by on his skill and physical talents. He does'nt know how to play the game with others. Its a team game

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I think that college basketball should adopt the college baseball rule.

You either go after high school or you're "stuck" in college for three years. Hopefully it would get fringe kids that need some polishing into college while not wasting the time for guys like Dwight Howard, LeBron James and more recently, Anthony Davis.

Both good points. The game at both levels would be better if they were more patient. Unfortunately, everything is a rush these days, and many players never reach their potential as a result.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      04-04-2012 08:14 PM #31126
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whit View Post
      Personally, if I were good enough to play college ball and stand out like these guys do, I would stay for all four years. I am all about team play. College is all about team play. The NBA is 1 on 1 play pretty much. Also, there is nothing like having the crowd into every little thing that happens on the court. The only time an NBA crowd gets into it is the last maybe....quarter at most. That is one of the reasons why watching NCAA on tv is millions of times better than watching the NBA.

Idk, some of you may think I'm crazy (I don't blame you ) but there is nothing like the competitiveness of NCAA basketball
      You would leave, unless you dont care about money

12. 04-04-2012 10:00 PM #31127
      Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash View Post
      I don't think that's quite right. I would say that the NCAA has a vested interest in doing what is not right.

The NCAA makes basically 100% of their money on the b-ball tournament. They are terrified of the football powers leaving. "Student-athletes" are not employees. Everything else falls out from those three fundamental things.
      Maurice Clarett challenged the 3 year rule with the NFL and won for a minute then it was put back into place. It ended his career. Mike Williams also took a hit from this as well but he managed to make it in the league.

Still people know who these players are after 3 years and the fact that they have to attend classes for 3 years means they are getting some education(although for some its probably math 050 and reading for kindergartners but still).

NBA kind of ruined itself with all these kids coming out of HS. I had no clue who Kobe, Dwight, hell even Lebron. I knew KG but only because he was a Chicago kid that my HS actually played that year. But i never realized he was "that" good at the time.

The one and done at least makes these kids go to school but i think the NBA would greatly help its image if it took the NFL rule and made it 3 years out of HS or 21 etc. Then the players have to be students or they do not play.

The NCAA could easily make rules to punish schools for using one and done players. But they won't. Maybe for NIU but for a blue blood royalty school like Kentucky? Never.
      Boiler Up!

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      04-04-2012 10:24 PM #31128
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Whit View Post

I agree. I love college basketball. But I can understand why players leave. If you were 18 and they said you could literally have a guaranteed 3m + for 3 years + endorsements or you can risk it, blow a knee, lower your stock, etc, you can't fault them for taking it. That's why it would be nice if teams could pre-sign, or if NCAA strict guidelines could be repealed. Why shouldn't NCAA student athletes not be able to profit from the sale of their jerseys or likeness? I'd even be fine with the NCAA players having shoe deals. They might stay in longer. If you're ready to go, you're ready to go. Basketball is about the only game where your skillset, body and decision making are pro-ready out of high school now.

Literally, if John Wall stayed all 4 years, it would have cost him 40 million dollars.
      I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

14. 04-05-2012 10:39 AM #31129
      Making a 'mockery' of education is FLAT OUT WRONG. UK has had one player not complete their coursework in 2.5 years and it almost was enough to bring the whole system down with the APR. Are these guys Rhodes scholars? No, but neither were most of us. John Wall had a 3.6 and came back last summer and took classes. Brandon Knight had a 4.0 (better than me freshman year, now I'm a doc) and is a junior. That being said, the majority sort of coast through gen eds. Like thousands of other students. Did you ever drink or party your freshman year? Your parents thought you were making a mockery of education.
      One student alone cannot bring down a whole programs APR really. One player can cause some fluctuation, but it takes multiple people leaving early and doing poorly to bring down even a basketball program. I have APR numbers for all sports for most D-I schools from 2004 to 2010, and I can tell you that very few programs fall into real APR trouble. The ones who do really let things get out of hand.

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      04-06-2012 01:44 AM #31130
      kentucky-fan-offers-to-let-top-recruit-take-home-wife-051755394.html

Two questions, how does a high school senior get in to the Final Four and what idiot fan would offer their wife to a high school basketball player?
      -Wes

16. 04-06-2012 08:52 AM #31131
      Quote Originally Posted by spkn^GRMN View Post
      kentucky-fan-offers-to-let-top-recruit-take-home-wife-051755394.html

Two questions, how does a high school senior get in to the Final Four and what idiot fan would offer their wife to a high school basketball player?
      It is kentucky so it's probably the guy's sister
      Boiler Up!

17. 04-06-2012 10:36 AM #31132
      He's here all week folks!

18. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      04-06-2012 11:11 AM #31133
      oh snap
      -Adam-U of M Tigers Wings Lions Seattle Supersonics
      1-800-277-2122 ext: 4788 or 757-687-3465
      Instagram: ADAM_MEYERS or Email Me: adam.meyers@checkeredflag.com

19. 04-06-2012 11:38 AM #31134
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam@CheckeredFlagVW View Post
      oh snap
      Well, WV isn't much different than Kentucky in that aspect.

20. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      04-06-2012 09:43 PM #31135
      Quote Originally Posted by watanabe2k View Post
      Well, WV isn't much different than Kentucky in that aspect.
      Word

Sent from my iPhone....Go Blue

21. 04-11-2012 09:35 AM #31136
      Duke and UNC are good schools, but there are millions of people who go to state universities and do ok in life. I'm one of them.

Come up with your own sign!!! Duke had it first!!

DUKE
      CAROLINA PANTHERS
      APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY

VSCTUNING Authorized dealer for APR, Hartmann Wheels, and B&B Exhaust

22. 04-11-2012 06:54 PM #31137

23. 04-11-2012 08:44 PM #31138
      Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      04-11-2012 09:32 PM #31139
      Welcome to Kentucky Nerlens:

I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

25. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      04-11-2012 09:54 PM #31140
      cool haircut

Vehicles
      Rave Green
      04-11-2012 10:32 PM #31141
      My girlfriend got me this sweet hat for my birthday which was today

Syracuse hat by Chris Whit, on Flickr
      Not Chris Whit's Flickr

@whit_yo

Quote Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
      OP Status update: jimmies definitely rustled.

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      04-12-2012 07:59 PM #31142
      Man, UNC needs some guys with designs cut into their 'fro.
      -Wes

28. 04-14-2012 11:40 AM #31143
      Thing I dont get about Shabazz is he kept saying for several months that he wanted to play against the best and be seen by the whole US. So you pick the team that plays in the worse and weakest conf and never play on TV???

Then he said that UCLA is going to be really good for the next few years with him and the other kid they got coming in?!?!?! Dude you are one and done and everyone knows it!!
      DUKE
      CAROLINA PANTHERS
      APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY

VSCTUNING Authorized dealer for APR, Hartmann Wheels, and B&B Exhaust

29. 04-14-2012 02:08 PM #31144
      Oriakhi has left UCONN to transfer to Mizzou.

Maybe I'll see him in class if he chooses sport management.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-14-2012 02:18 PM #31145
      Brad Beal going pro.

If he stayed we would've been a title contender. Probably another choke job in the Elite 8 in our future.

31. 04-14-2012 06:41 PM #31146
      http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1354596

It's interesting to look back at the previous classes to see how they did.

32. 05-09-2012 08:29 AM #31147
      It's even more interesting to read about the head scumbag at Kentucky...

Uh oh!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...t-nerlens-noel
      NEW YORK KNICKS

33. 05-10-2012 08:20 PM #31148
      "The Case for the 20-Year-Old Age Limit in the NBA"...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-age-limit-nba

34. 05-10-2012 09:02 PM #31149
      Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
      "The Case for the 20-Year-Old Age Limit in the NBA"...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-age-limit-nba
      Which economists say is full of crap. Steve Kerr < Economists

35. 06-29-2012 08:36 PM #31150
      Bruce was sitting with Meyers at the draft.

Page 890 of 899 FirstFirst ... 390790840880886887888889890891892893894 ... LastLast