Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Phaeton Splash Guards (Mud Flaps)

1. 12-17-2004 11:32 AM #1
      Was hoping to get a set of splash guards. Does VW make such a thing for the Phaeton? I can not find refference to it anywhere. Any help is appreciated.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      12-17-2004 01:35 PM #2
      I have never seen any splash guards for the Phaeton, either in North America or in Europe, VW, Votex, or aftermarket.

My experience has been that the car doesn't really need them - the wheel well design is such that most of the water is contained within the wheel well. Also, the inside of the rear wheel wells is covered with a fabric mat, which reduces water spray and water thrown up from the wheel well area.

I had a set of front wheel splash guards on my Golf - those were useful, because they kept mud off the rocker panels under the driver door, so I didn't get my pant leg dirty getting in and out. The design of the front doors on the Phaeton is such that the rocker panel is not really exposed - for that reason, I can't see much benefit to getting a splash guard.

Michael

3. 12-17-2004 02:06 PM #3
      Are you referring to the "Yosemite Sam" mud flaps? If so, might try Disney.

4. 12-17-2004 04:27 PM #4
      I was thinking more of the ones that have the chrome girl.

5. 03-10-2007 01:06 PM #5
      I've searched and searched -- still no luck finding mud guards for the Phaeton. I don't mind the look of them on my Passat -- nicely molded with a clean line.

Has anyone found a source for these and have any pics? I'd really like to limit the amount of spray on the side of the car.

6. 03-10-2007 01:30 PM #6
      someones got passat ones fitted. i'm sure they'll post when they see this

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      03-10-2007 02:43 PM #7
      Click here: MUD FLAPS

8. 03-10-2007 03:27 PM #8
      Thank you very much! I clearly need to improve my searching skills -- such a newbie.

Those are the same I have on my '06 Passat, which I installed myself -- looks like I'll do it again on the Phaeton. Hopefully they'll turn out allright. I live out in wine country and get periodic snow and enough grime off the roads that these should do the trick.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      03-10-2007 10:23 PM #9
      Hi Todd:

Just a suggestion, based on my own experience with other VW products: You might want to consider installing only the front wheel mud guards and see if that does the job for you. I have found that the front wheel mudflaps provide 90% of the benefit (they keep the mud off the rocker panels and the doors), and fitting front wheel flaps only results in a much more discreet (low key) installation than fitting both front and rear ones.

Michael

10. 03-10-2007 11:45 PM #10
      Thanks Michael -- point well taken. I've been reconsidering my initial thought throughout the day.

--Todd