Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: High Idle

Vehicles
      A hunk o junk needing work
      12-21-2004 06:49 PM #1
      My car sits at 2k rpm when i have it just sitting. How do I fix this problem?
      Fear all that is... my belly

astickymess.com

2. 12-21-2004 06:50 PM #2
      adjust the idle screw.

Vehicles
      1991 GTI a.k.a. Blackie, 1995 Golf a.ka. Little Red
      12-21-2004 07:17 PM #3
      Yeah like he said , idle screw . Located on the throttle body inside an indentation. Loosen to increase idle or tighten (clockwise) to decrease idle . Keep track of the umber of turns you give the screw so you can go back to the original setting if need be . On my car one full turn seemed to equal about 500 rpm of adjustment. You should also check the condition of the the tiny o ring that the idle screw sits in . if it's falling apart that will cause too much air to be bypassed and hence too high an idle. The ISV may also be faulty. You might want to remove and clean with thottle body cleaner.

hope this helps

I finally fixed my sig

Vehicles
      12-21-2004 07:27 PM #4
      ISV?

oh yeah its digi too. would make a difference?

astickymess.com

Vehicles
      12-21-2004 07:35 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by MontanaGrnGTi »
      ISV?

oh yeah its digi too. would make a difference?

I think so , they are pretty expensive new though . Try to borrow one to test or get one used from the classified forum . Try the screw first , that's a free fix.
      I finally fixed my sig

6. 12-21-2004 08:18 PM #6
      and check for vaccuum leaks

Vehicles
      12-21-2004 09:04 PM #7
      I was asking what a ISV was. rookie at this

astickymess.com

8. 12-21-2004 09:11 PM #8
      I dunno about digi, but I have a CIS. The ISV is on the driver's side of the engine, right next to the intake mani. It's a tubular like structure w/ some wires going into it. Just unplug 'em and pull it out.

This is a pic o the ISV, see it on the right next to the intake mani?

Modified by NeedyGTI at 9:16 PM 12-21-2004

9. 12-21-2004 11:20 PM #9
      Idle Stabilization Valve, once you've located.. do ao quick experiment.. start the car, let it idle, record the idle speed.. kill the engine.. pull the plug on the ISV.. start the car again,, has the idle speed changed?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      20th AE
      12-21-2004 11:22 PM #10

Modified by DmoneY at 8:24 PM 12-21-2004

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      12-21-2004 11:26 PM #11
      This may sound stupid but I recently discovered that my high idle was caused by a sticky gas pedal. That's right it will stick down a little bit and cause the idle to go up. You have to pull it back with your foot to idle normal sometimes... ghetto.....
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      12-21-2004 11:37 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by GodSquadMandrake »
      This may sound stupid but I recently discovered that my high idle was caused by a sticky gas pedal. That's right it will stick down a little bit and cause the idle to go up. You have to pull it back with your foot to idle normal sometimes... ghetto.....

Its been awhile but I think I even loosened the throttle cable and it was still up at that high.

Also its an 8v so a pic of that would help more than a 16v I'll be trying these things tomorrow please help

astickymess.com

13. 12-21-2004 11:37 PM #13
      Speaking of ISV. Sometimes my idle jumps around. If it's a hot day (which isn't now) and I've been running it hard, it will bounce or rev continuously. The only thing I can really to do stop it is to stop the engine and start it again. Is this a faulty ISV?

Vehicles
      12-22-2004 03:42 PM #14
      bump

astickymess.com

Vehicles
      12-22-2004 03:57 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by GretchenGLi »
      Speaking of ISV. Sometimes my idle jumps around. If it's a hot day (which isn't now) and I've been running it hard, it will bounce or rev continuously. The only thing I can really to do stop it is to stop the engine and start it again. Is this a faulty ISV?
      yes 100% ISV at fault
      I finally fixed my sig

Vehicles
      12-22-2004 04:25 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by J.Knipl »
      I think so , they are pretty expensive new though . Try to borrow one to test or get one used from the classified forum . Try the screw first , that's a free fix.

That worked a little bit. couldn't turn it any more but it was cold so i'm sure it will lower as it warms up. I'm just trying to get it to run a little better. it is a huge pos

astickymess.com

17. 12-22-2004 04:45 PM #17
      Had exact same problem, don't forget about the two small wires going into the idle switch at the top and rear left area of the throttle body area. my wires were corroded and loose and pulled right free. once reinstalled,,,idled awesome. oh yeah, once that is corrected, you may want to readjust that idle screw...

Modified by rmarnett at 1:46 PM 12-22-2004

18. 12-23-2004 04:13 PM #18
      any luck?

19. 02-06-2005 11:59 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by DrMSH »
      Idle Stabilization Valve, once you've located.. do ao quick experiment.. start the car, let it idle, record the idle speed.. kill the engine.. pull the plug on the ISV.. start the car again,, has the idle speed changed?

What does it mean if the idle speed has changed? Faulty ISV?

Vehicles
      97 Golf K2, 99 Golf Wolfsberg Edition
      01-07-2006 04:35 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by GodSquadMandrake »

Hard to believe that that powerfull spring could be held up by a sticky gaspedal. Are you sure it's not the part where the cable attaches to the throttle body? Or maybe a rusty throttle cable?

Vehicles
      97 Golf K2, 99 Golf Wolfsberg Edition
      01-07-2006 04:43 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by Mr. Bi-Polar »
      That worked a little bit. couldn't turn it any more but it was cold so i'm sure it will lower as it warms up. I'm just trying to get it to run a little better. it is a huge pos

Umm - The idle scew isn't supposed to go all the way in and considering there's rubber (or SHOULD be) under there then the cold has nothing to do with it.

I think it one of the following
      1) I think you've got bad rubber on the idle screw
      2) Vacuum leak - This includes the rubber grommet your PCV valve sits in AND the oil dipstick holder - It's the bright orange piece that the dipstick sits in.

Check out the 8v FAQ list in my signature and go down to DanielAdams post. It has all you need to fix a wonky idle

22. 09-26-2006 07:06 AM #22
      what do you guys think about bouncing rpm's and and stalling on cold start up's even when it's not cold outside? bouncing meaning 1500 to 800. also, bogs down over half throttle

23. 11-12-2006 02:46 PM #23
      Hi there, I have a 1985 VW Golf and I'm hoping somebody can help me out...

In the dry summer months, the car would start every time and run pretty well with the exception of the idle speed being a little too high. Lately we've had quite a lot of rain and I went out to start the car one day and it just wouldn't start. I drained the battery trying to get it going so we attempted to jump start it, but it just wouldn't go. Later, we dried up the electrical components and the battery with a hairdryer and a fan and tried jump starting it again. This time it started, but the idle speed was going crazy, bouncing from 3,000 to 8,000 RPM (past the tachometers limits) and of course we shut it off as quickly as possible to not cause further damage to the engine. We let it sit another week in the rain and then when the rain stopped for a day, we took another try at drying out the engine first and then starting it again. Unfourtunatly the same thing happened and we decided to give up and do some research before we damaged the engine.

If anybody could help me here or offer me suggustions, I would be very appretiative to have my beloved golf running again.

24. 11-12-2006 03:41 PM #24
      is it a bad idea to delete the ISV?

25. 11-12-2006 03:43 PM #25
      If the idle screw doesn't solve the problem. Clean the ISV. Then try cleaning the throttle body. If your not sorted then, try the MAF sensor.

If they don't solve the problem, I would focus more attention on the ignition system and timing.

26. 11-12-2006 08:21 PM #26
      i just played this game today.

Isv was bad, with the key on and the engine off the ISV was silent. I swapped 3 used ones in before i got one to "buzz". I cleaned it with some carb cleaner and tried it again, and it started to "whir", not he car idles smooth as silk. Quick way to check is to squeeze the hose to the ISV, if the car idles better the isv isn't running.

27. 12-11-2008 10:16 PM #27
      ive noticed my car idles at about 2 grand but when i cut off the heater fan it idles fine and then after i drive it will bounce around

28. 04-24-2009 02:51 PM #28
      Can anyone post pics of this stuff? I need to adjust my idle screw, clean the throttle body and check my ISV in attempt to fix my idle issues. Sorry I am still a newb and I don't even know where this stuff is. I bought a Haynes and its pretty much crap and does not help in many areas. Currently looking to buy a Bentley online.

Thanks to anyone that can help. Done lots of searching.

Vehicles
      05.5 VW Jetta 2.5, BMW E36 Vert
      04-24-2009 03:16 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by BDM WHATUP »
      Can anyone post pics of this stuff? I need to adjust my idle screw, clean the throttle body and check my ISV in attempt to fix my idle issues. Sorry I am still a newb and I don't even know where this stuff is. I bought a Haynes and its pretty much crap and does not help in many areas. Currently looking to buy a Bentley online.

Thanks to anyone that can help. Done lots of searching.

1) get a bentley manual.
      2) don't start adjusting things if you don't understand them.
      3) your problem is probably vacuum leaks.

30. 04-24-2009 09:27 PM #30
      I'll getta bentley for sure. This is my daily driver so I'm kinda at a loss. Its a touch annoying, not to mention dangerous, to drive it around when its stalling and dying at red lights. Thanks again.

04-24-2009 10:50 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by brutal mk2 »
      ive noticed my car idles at about 2 grand but when i cut off the heater fan it idles fine and then after i drive it will bounce around

If you are running the defrost, or any of the ac components, then your idle raises to compensate for the additional load on the engine of your AC compressor running. Now if you have done an AC delete or have no charge in your AC system, it will go up to around 2k. Your defrost (far right) turns your ac on to dry the air and make it defrost more quickly. Turn your defrost off when driving.

CHECK OUT MY 91 CORRADO G60 PART OUT THREAD http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Northeast-Ohio

Vehicles
      1989 jetta trophy edition, 2007 rabbit
      04-25-2009 03:28 PM #32
      a rookie with 13000 posts