VWVortex.com - My basement remodeling project - a documentary.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My basement remodeling project - a documentary.

Vehicles
      2017 Black GTI
      01-08-2005 11:33 PM #1
      Picture Table of Contents
      (If you just want to see pictures of the progress with minimal reading.)
      Section 1: Demolition
      1. Set 1
      2. Set 2
      3. Set 3
      4. Set 4
      4. Set 5
      5. Set 6
      6. Set 7
      7. Set 8
      8. Bathroom (Demo)
      Section 2: Construction
      1. Studs
      2. Electrical
      3. Floor plan
      4. Plumbing
      5. Lighting
      6. Drywall #1
      7. Drywall #2
      8. Drywall #3
      9. Spackling and sanding
      10. Carpeting (stairs) & Paint
      11. Flooring #1
      12. Flooring #2 & Trim
      13. Flooring #2 & Trim

------
      Original thread:
      I wanted to make a documentary thread on my basement remodeling project. It started out with a few questions in this thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1751455
      I mentioned that today I would be starting the demolition. Here are a few original pictures of the basement, pre-demo:
      View of the soffit:

Wall that came down today:

Opposite view of the wall in the previous picture:

Here is what I accomplished today:
      Starting to tear down the wall:

Drop-ceiling coming down:

Another view of the wall coming down:

Me removing drop-ceiling panels. My wife played foreman/photographer today

Me showing off the rodent-dropping ridden panels:

Me ripping off drop-ceiling channeling:

Drop ceiling completely removed:

More work on the wall coming down:

More progress

(At this point, the dust and dirt was creating "spots" in the pictures. The lens of the camera is OK.

More...

Soffit being torn down. Very poorly built, I must say:

End of my day's work:

Notes so far:
      1. It looks like I'll need to do another drop ceiling where the old one was, because there is plumbing that hangs just below the joists, which I do not even want to touch. I can do electrical work and other basic construction, but no plumbing. Also, it leaves good access in case we need to get to the plumbing. Any suggestions for a "nice drop-ceiling", if any exist?
      2. I will be re-doing all of the wiring. Too many junction boxes, and it's old. I'm taking the advice of other's here to re-do it. Thanks [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Comments/questions/suggestion always welcome. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by Pooz at 3:18 PM 1-22-2007

Vehicles
      '16 M-B GLA, '79 MG
      01-09-2005 09:00 AM #2
      Great job! I love demo work, its so much fun. Its the building back up that makes me go crazy. You see, Im a perfectionist and take to long.
      You say your going to put up a drop ceiling again. Might I suggest something....Try making it look like a loft. Use the exposed duct work and create something cool. My mom friend did this and it looks great.
      Help eliminate the VWVortex Newsletter Pop-up here.

3. 01-09-2005 02:19 PM #3
      Great work and great post.
      I'm starting on my garge refinishing project this spring and I plan on documenting everything!
      I love tearing things apart..just don't like to put them back together again...LOL

Vehicles
      2017 Black GTI
      01-09-2005 02:55 PM #4
      Thanks... yeah, demo work is lots of fun. Very easy to destroy stuff, very difficult to rebuilt it!
      Quote, originally posted by MR2pilot »
      You see, Im a perfectionist and take to long.

Yeah, that will be my downfall too. Because if it's not done the way I want it from the start, I'll mentally beat up myself about it for a long time after.
      Quote »
      You say your going to put up a drop ceiling again. Might I suggest something....Try making it look like a loft. Use the exposed duct work and create something cool. My mom friend did this and it looks great.

I'm having a hard time visualing what you are saying. The ceilings are only 7' tall at the most
      Quote »
      I'm starting on my garge refinishing project this spring and I plan on documenting everything!

It's a great way to see how things go from start to finish. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      And if I didn't mention it before, the outside walls are being replaced too, all with drywall. And of course, carpet. There are a few other plans in the works too, which I will get at later on. A total transformation.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2003.5 Protege5, 1999 Honda Accord EX, 1986 Yamaha Radian
      01-09-2005 06:32 PM #5
      Hey,
      I am doing my basement and can help with the ceiling dilema. Friends of mine painted their open ceiling a dark green when finishing their basement. Saves on headroom and is super cheap.
      I however, didn't like how dark it was so I painted mine a lighter cream color. Looks decent and was cheap and pretty easy (just took some time).
      Anyway, here are some pics of my Home Theater area/Ping Pong palace as it sits a few days ago.
      Carl

Vehicles
      98 VW Golf (AEG) RIP, 04 VW Golf 16VT (In Progress)
      01-09-2005 10:14 PM #6
      cool man
      you have to get rid of that furniture though?
      :bow Old Vortex

Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      Really Volvo? A failure of system that is supposed to save the inattentive would have been noticed by a real inattentive driver?
      Really?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      01-10-2005 09:07 AM #7
      Nicely sized joists, but man, did they cut a hole in every one to run that 4-inch line???
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      2017 Black GTI
      01-10-2005 10:24 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by Double-V »
      Nicely sized joists, but man, did they cut a hole in every one to run that 4-inch line???

Are you talking to me?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      01-10-2005 02:31 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by pooz01wolfsburg »
      Are you talking to me?

No, I am talking to the other guy in this thread who is showing pics of his basement renovation...
      I am talking about this picture here. It looks like a white PVC pipe running through the joists...
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      2017 Black GTI
      01-10-2005 02:34 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by Double-V »
      No, I am talking to the other guy in this thread who is showing pics of his basement renovation...

Well, DRGSR is showing pics of his basement too.
      Quote »
      I am talking about this picture here. It looks like a white PVC pipe running through the joists...

Yes, they did cut through each joist. The kitchen was remodeled before we bought the house.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      01-10-2005 04:31 PM #11
      Yeah, there are two guys posting in here with pictures.
      That was just confusing.

12. 01-10-2005 08:55 PM #12
      so what are you going to do for a ceiling im in the same boat at the moment i think i will inclose mine in pine

Vehicles
      2017 Black GTI
      01-11-2005 08:43 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by wolf rocco »
      so what are you going to do for a ceiling im in the same boat at the moment i think i will inclose mine in pine

Quote, originally posted by pooz01wolfsburg »
      Notes so far:
      1. It looks like I'll need to do another drop ceiling where the old one was, because there is plumbing that hangs just below the joists, which I do not even want to touch. I can do electrical work and other basic construction, but no plumbing. Also, it leaves good access in case we need to get to the plumbing. Any suggestions for a "nice drop-ceiling", if any exist?

First post [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

14. 01-11-2005 09:07 AM #14
      oh lol sorry i read the whole post guess i should have done it slower

Vehicles
      03 a4 1.8t avant
      01-11-2005 10:35 AM #15
      Look at HD/Lowes. I know they have some that have a tin ceiling look to them. A friend of mine had it in her place. Looks really good, and wasn't too expensive.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      01-14-2005 02:05 PM #16
      I would just notch the joices and place the piping up into the notches and place kick plates over the notch to protect the pipe from being hit with nails when putting up the drywall. Then take the electric out and drill holes through the joices and run the wire in the joices. It would look way better than a drop ceiling. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2017 Black GTI
      01-14-2005 02:34 PM #17
      I was thinking of that, but (don't remember if I mentioned it before) a drop ceiling would provide much easier access for that plumbing, should it need repair.
      FYI, I will be tearing down the gray-colored paneling on Sunday. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2017 Black GTI
      01-17-2005 09:05 AM #18
      Progress from yesterday:
      Studs came down. The hanging wiring went through them.

Grey panneling was here before.

Wall behind studs is gone. This wall will be rebuilt, but the section above the staircase will be open.

Poor ceiling in the bathroom (that will be redone)

Gap between the wall and staircase. The original builders didn't make the staircase wide enough to meet the wall. The wall there is built under a joist. Can't move the joist, but I should be able to build something that is flush with the staircase, so there isn't that gap.

Grey paneling in the back left area came down.

More of the soffit... GONE!

Garbage pile #1

#2... and there is another pile in the utility room.

Lighted mirror that will be hung behind the bar

Things are going good so far. Next weekend the garbage piles will be removed so I have more room again. Also, more gray paneling will come down. The studs next to the staircase will come down as well. I'm sure I'll do more, but that's my plan so far. During this week I'll be moving the stuff under the blue tarp into the unfinished part of the basement.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      01-17-2005 09:13 AM #19
      Good progress! As for the gap, it is hard to tell how wide it is, but for a wide gap in my stairwell to the attic I just did two layers of 5/8-inch drywall, and used 1/2-inch cove to cover the rest...

20. 01-17-2005 04:05 PM #20
      Looks great. I'm in the middle of my own basement remodel. I'd be curious to see how you plan to attack that air vent. I'm scratching my head at mine trying to figure out if I want to enclose it in a soffet or leave it open.

Vehicles
      2017 Black GTI
      01-17-2005 04:10 PM #21
      Thanks [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I plan on covering it back up again, but with dry-wall.

Vehicles
      vaudi
      01-17-2005 04:25 PM #22

Looks like you are making good progress... [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] .....lots of work ahead I see but so far so good. Keep us posted...

Vehicles
      2017 Black GTI
      02-02-2005 12:42 PM #23
      Saturday morning I will be disposing all of the garbage that's piled up lately. Then I'll be able to move more stuff out of that room (into the other 1/2 of the basement), and continue my work.
      As you can see, the progress is very slow. It's tough remodeling a basement when I only work on it one day a week, and not every week. I'm thinking once I have the entire basement gutted, the actualy remodeling should start to pick up the pace a little.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      02-02-2005 05:06 PM #24
      Ah, the joys of remodeling.
      Doing my kitchen took 9 months of on off work. The stove was in the hallway (not functioning-it is gas) and the fridge was in the living room. My wife was SOOOO happy when it was done. Totally worth it though.
      The basement took about three months, but I didn't have anything to rip up. All new construction. Now, I will be adding the base moulding in a couple days and having a Super Bowl party with my HDTV and 6.1 surround sound system.
      Keep plugging away. It is worth it.
      Here are some pics of my finished project.
      TV cabinet

Dinky room fits a ping pong table. Move the chair and you can play with no problems.

Vehicles
      2017 Black GTI
      02-02-2005 05:12 PM #25
      That is a sweet basement!! What kind of base moulding do you plan on using? I love the colors too, and the ceiling does look really nice opened up like that! Any way to get more ceiling shots? A few questions:
      1. What kind of carpet did you use? I was thinking a high-traffic, office-type kind of carpet.
      2. What kind of lighting did you use?
      ... and the most important question...
      3. How big is the ping-pong table and how much space do you have around it?
      Thanks, and again, it looks great! Looking at finished products helps keep me inspired, besides the dream I have about it every night. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast