Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For FAQ: Stock Wheel Bolt Pattern & Offset, Spacers, Hubcentric, Lugcentric, Conical, Ball seat

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      01-12-2005 06:30 PM #1
      For MKIV's.
      Bolt Pattern 5x100
      Stock Offset +35 e.t.
      Hub Bore 57.1mm
      Diameter - 15" through 18"

FAQ: Wheel Tech - What Bolt Pattern, Offset, and Hub Bore mean.
      FAQ: Wheel Offset - How offset is measured.

Wheels generally need to have the correct Bolt Pattern, Offset and Hub Bore to fit a car.

Offset - Of the three of these, offset is the most leinent. A range of 42 to 30 usually works on a MKIV, but remember that offset alone means nothing, offset and width combined govern whether or not a wheel will fit under the fenders. A 10" wheel with an offset of 15 will fit under the rear of a MKIV without much fuss, the same can not be said about a 10" wheel with a +42 offset.

If a wheel sticks out beyond the fenders of the car, this is called "poke", wheels that poke are usually either significantly wider than normal with a low offset (10" with an offset of +15) or normal size with a very low offset (7" with an offset of 0 or below).

If a wheel is inside the fender line it is generally called "tucked" (subject to lowering). To tuck wheels you need to run higher offsets and/or skinner wheels (remember it is a combination of Offset and Width). If you run very high offsets you run the risk of the tire/wheel rubbing on the inner fender, or even worse, not being able to fit in the wheel well at all.

Spacers can be used to change the offset of a wheel. By bolting between the wheel and the wheel hub, they push the wheel further "out" from the car. Spacers SUBTRACT offset from a wheel setup. Therefore if you want to run an et 55 offset wheel (popular OEM Porsche application), you will need either a 15 or 20 mm spacer to end up with an offset in the acceptable range (et40 or et 35).

In general there is alot of room to play with offset. Stock is 35, but depending on the width of the wheel, you can go lower or higher than that. Also, there is a significant different between what you can get away with on the front (skinnier) vs. the rear (wider).

Bolt Pattern - Bolt pattern can be changed through the use of adapters. Adpaters bolt to the wheel hubs using the stock pattern (5x100) and provide studs that are in another pattern (ex. 5x130 of a modern Porsche). Because the heads of the bolts that are used to bolt the adapter to the wheel hub must fully recess in the adapter itself, wheel adpaters are usually pretty thick (~25mm or more). This works well if you want to run a Porsche wheel with an initial offset of 55 (brought down to 30 with the adapters), but not so well with a Non-TT Audi wheel (which have bolt patterns of 5x112 and stock offsets of 35). H&R Makes bolt pattern wheel adapters in several popular combinations.

Hub Bore Hub bore is the diameter of the central hole in your wheels. This hole fits over the central projection on your hub. Since the wheel is centered on the hub it is called hubcentric. Since manufacturers use different hub bores aftermarket wheel manufactuers usually do one of two things. Both involve making the hub bore relatively large. In the first case the wheel manufacturer makes the hub bore large, so it fits a variety of cars, then supplies Hubcentric rings, that fit inside the bore and adapt it down to the size of the hub projection on various cars. This way they can make/stock 25 different hubcentric rings instead of 25 different wheels. The "one size fits all" wheel, plus the correct ring, makes the wheels hubcentric for a specific car. The other option is to leave the hub bore large, and not supply rings. In this case the wheel becomes Lugcentric because the wheel is not centered on the hub, but instead the lug nuts/bolts. Lugcentric wheels are much harder to center than hubcentric wheels due to the fact that it is not centered on a central projection. For this reason lugcentric wheels are more prone to vibration and shimmys at speed, if mounted correctly however, lugcentric wheels can be trouble free.

Diameter - From the factory MKIV's have been equipped with 15, 16, 17 and 18 inch wheels. 14 inch wheels will not clear the front brakes on any car, and 19 and 20 inch wheels have been fitted (19's easier than 20's).

The following applies ONLY to cars without brake upgrades.
      19's will fit any MKIV
      18's will fit any MKIV
      17's will fit any MKIV
      16's will fit any MKIV EXCEPT R32's
      15's will fit any MKIV EXCEPT 337's, 20AE's, or 1.8T (2004.5+) GLI's

*These are subject to certain offset and wheel design restrictions (ie. Wolfsburg wheels are 16" but will not fit on 337's, 20aes, or 1.8t GLI's without a spacer).

Wheel Bolts - Stock wheel bolts are 14x1.5x28 (wire size x thread pitch x length). Longer wheel bolts are needed for adpaters or spacers (ie a 20mm spacer needs 28+20 = 48mm bolts). Stock wheel bolts are Ball Seat Meaning that they are somewhat rounded. Most aftermarket wheels use Conical Seat wheel bolts. You MUST use the correct type for your wheel or they will back out. The Wheel Tech link above has pictures of the differences.

Stock Tire Sizes

Modified by rs4-380 at 3:29 PM 4-18-2005

Dave

Vehicles
      14BRZ/91MX5/89E30
      01-12-2005 06:37 PM #2
      very indepth. good job dave

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta VRT, 2000 Audi TT Quattro
      01-12-2005 09:25 PM #3

Nice writeup.

Fae

Chapter 11 Dubs: Member #001
      http://www.chapter11dubs.com
      -----------------------

4. 01-13-2005 06:58 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by rs4-380 »
      Offset - Of the three of these, offset is the most leinent. A range of 42 to 30 usually works on a MKIV, but remember that offset alone means nothing, offset and width combined govern whether or not a wheel will fit under the fenders. A 10" wheel with an offset of 15 will fit under the rear of a MKIV without much fuss, the same can not be said about a 10" wheel with a +42 offset.

If a wheel sticks out beyond the fenders of the car, this is called "poke", wheels that poke are usually either significantly wider than normal with a low offset (10" with an offset of +15) or normal size with a very low offset (7" with an offset of 0 or below).

If a wheel is inside the fender line it is generally called "tucked" (subject to lowering). To tuck wheels you need to run higher offsets and/or skinner wheels (remember it is a combination of Offset and Width). If you run very high offsets you run the risk of the tire/wheel rubbing on the inner fender, or even worse, not being able to fit in the wheel well at all.

Good write-up! I have seen a million questions on these topics over the years.

You may consider describing more clearly what the offset number means, so that the reader can understand *why* it is related to the width of the rim.

Offset is the measurement in millimeters of the wheel's hub mount's distance out from the vertical center of the rim.

Imagine two rims have the same width, but one has a higher offset. That rim's hub mount will be further out from the vertical center of the rim, hence the body of the rim will sit further into the fender. A rim with less offset will "stick out" further.

Image two rims have the same offset, but a different width. The wider rim will both stick out further and stick in further, since the offset is a measurement from the vertical center of the rim.

Two other problems you may want to mention about incorrect offset and width:
      With too low of an offset you can possibly rub the fender lip.
      With too high of an offset you can possibly rub your struts or coilovers.

Modified by markwaddle at 4:00 PM 1-13-2005

5. 01-13-2005 07:29 PM #5
      Good stuff!

Stock Offset +35 e.t.

Stock offset is ET38 or ET42 - never heard of a stock wheel with ET35. You might want to update that.

6. 07-08-2005 02:26 PM #6
      You've got some really good info man....thanks for that. Maybe you can answer my question pretty thoroughly then. I've got an '01 GTI VR6. I've got a good deal on a set of TSW Thruxtons. I'm gonna go with the 18"s, but they have only 8s or 9.5s in stock. If I go with the 9.5s, will I need spacers to change the offset? And if so, will my rim and tire poke out? Later man...

7. 07-08-2005 02:34 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by smoothbeatz »
      You've got some really good info man....thanks for that. Maybe you can answer my question pretty thoroughly then. I've got an '01 GTI VR6. I've got a good deal on a set of TSW Thruxtons. I'm gonna go with the 18"s, but they have only 8s or 9.5s in stock. If I go with the 9.5s, will I need spacers to change the offset? And if so, will my rim and tire poke out? Later man...

what is the initial offset? that is required to know if spacers are required.

8. 07-08-2005 03:03 PM #8
      I'm not sure what my initial offset is. Where do I find out...will my manufacturer's booklet have that info?

9. 01-14-2006 07:27 PM #9
      will a 18x8" with +38 offset be fine for a mk4?

10. 01-17-2006 10:47 PM #10
      Can someone update this with an acceptable wheel width/offset range everything else (suspension, tire profile) being within stock specs?

This would help everyone figure out is something will rub or not.

For example, the range to the inner fender boundary for a wheel with positive offset consists of: one half of the wheel width + offset. Does anyone know what the max number is?

For example, I'm trying to find out if 17x7.5 wheels with 48 offset can fit on my 20AE GTI. In this case, I need at least 5.64" or 143.25mm of space (0.5 x 7.5" + 48mm = 3.75" + 48mm = 143.25mm or 5.64") measured from the hub mounting surface to the inside of the wheel well.

So, would this wheel fit?

11. 03-22-2006 09:59 AM #11
      Great write-up. I can relax now knowing my wheels will probably fit my MKIV.
      I bought a staggered set with 18x8.5 35ET front and 18x10 22ET rear. The 22ET rear offset have me afraid as I'm in iraq and won't have my hands on the wheels to try them until DEC. Even though I was assured they would fit by the retailer in Germany.
      Now I feel better THANKS for taking the time to write this up.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 2.0T / 2011 BMW Z4
      03-22-2006 10:02 AM #12
      I've also seen just way too many threads asking "will these fit my car" lately... great write-up

13. 03-22-2006 10:09 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by redfred18T »
      very indepth. good job dave

x2 I never really understood that stuff, thanks for the post!

14. 03-22-2006 10:54 AM #14

*These are subject to certain offset and wheel design restrictions (ie. Wolfsburg wheels are 16" but will not fit on 337's, 20aes, or 1.8t GLI's without a spacer).

Its probably worth mentioning that the Wolfsburg 16" RX-II wheels *will* fit over 337/20AE/GLI's with either a 5mm spacer or if you shave a tiny piece off the caliper (and when they do just fit like that it looks amazing).

Also, it is implicit that 15s won't fit an R32 if 16s don't, but for completeness you might want to add that.

Aren't there probably with some 17s clearly the R32 brakes also? If not, how come I keep seeing OEM Delta wheels advertised as "will clear R32 brakes"?

15. 03-18-2007 12:33 PM #15
      Great post
      However i have BBS RK's Silver painted the rims are 7 inches wide and the ET 48. I tried putting them on last night at work but when i did the wheel goes in too deep therefore it slightly touches the brake caliper. I was devastated because i was really looking forward in putting them on. So now I need spacers so how would i calculate the spacers that i need for these wheels considering that i want to lower my car in the future.
      I read that you could fit wheels with ET up to 42 does that mean i need 6 mm spacers and if that the case how long the bolts are supposed to be and i can't determine what is the seat on my rims as well I thought it was conical but I also thought that the stock bolts were conical as well not the ball seat.
      Well i would love to hear back from you because you really want to put these rims on as soon as possible.
      Thanks

16. 04-13-2007 11:34 PM #16
      Stock wheel bolts are 14x1.5x28 (wire size x thread pitch x length).

I just bought a set of OEM VW wheel bolts (locking) and they are 14x1.5x27.

17. 04-24-2007 11:16 PM #17
      k my question is this. i just bought rims they were on a suburu legacy the bolt pattern is 5x100, the offset is 38 and the tires are 215/45/17 so my question now is will they fit my 2000 mk4 jetta vr6, thanks
      if anyone can email me it will be great cyber_antonio@hotmail.com thanks

18. 04-30-2007 07:35 AM #18
      Hi, Just an info.. I just bought a Golf MK4 and the car is mounted with some 14" wheels.. Tire size: 185/80 R14

19. 07-06-2007 11:17 PM #19
      hello...just had a question about hub rings if some1 could b of assisitance...

just bought some 18in rims for my 2001 vw jetta 225/40/18, they didnt come with hub rings and i am not sure what size i have to get...

do i need the measurment from the rim or the wheel hub in order to find some rings that fit ?

Modified by cheforee at 8:20 PM 7-6-2007

Vehicles
      2000 vw jetta 2.Slow, 1991 vw jetta wolfsburg vr6
      08-16-2007 11:21 PM #20
      For MKIV's.

Spacers can be used to change the offset of a wheel. By bolting between the wheel and the wheel hub, they push the wheel further "out" from the car. Spacers SUBTRACT offset from a wheel setup. Therefore if you want to run an et 55 offset wheel (popular OEM Porsche application), you will need either a 15 or 20 mm spacer to end up with an offset in the acceptable range (et40 or et 35).

In general there is alot of room to play with offset. Stock is 35, but depending on the width of the wheel, you can go lower or higher than that. Also, there is a significant different between what you can get away with on the front (skinnier) vs. the rear (wider).

Bolt Pattern - Bolt pattern can be changed through the use of adapters. Adpaters bolt to the wheel hubs using the stock pattern (5x100) and provide studs that are in another pattern (ex. 5x130 of a modern Porsche). Because the heads of the bolts that are used to bolt the adapter to the wheel hub must fully recess in the adapter itself, wheel adpaters are usually pretty thick (~25mm or more). This works well if you want to run a Porsche wheel with an initial offset of 55 (brought down to 30 with the adapters), but not so well with a Non-TT Audi wheel (which have bolt patterns of 5x112 and stock offsets of 35). H&R Makes bolt pattern wheel adapters in several popular combinations.

The following applies ONLY to cars without brake upgrades.
      19's will fit any MKIV
      18's will fit any MKIV
      17's will fit any MKIV

so i guess im still confused or i just cant figure this out. i have a set of wheels that are 19x8.5 with a 47 offset in the front and 19x9.5 with a 27 offset in the rears. and i have to use a 25mm adaptor. will they fit or is it to far of a stretch!?

21. 08-16-2007 11:31 PM #21

22. 08-16-2007 11:57 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by nanderdubfan »

so i guess im still confused or i just cant figure this out. i have a set of wheels that are 19x8.5 with a 47 offset in the front and 19x9.5 with a 27 offset in the rears. and i have to use a 25mm adaptor. will they fit or is it to far of a stretch!?

Well basically you will be fine in the front w/ 25mm adapters and a decent tire but the rear is another story.

If you run a 25mm adapter, your final offset will be et2. Which is pretty low, You might want to search around for people w/ that offset. You might be able to make that work w/ a good stretched tire but I don't know for sure.

Hope that helps a little...

Vehicles
      2000 vw jetta 2.Slow, 1991 vw jetta wolfsburg vr6
      08-17-2007 03:35 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by skatingzooyork »

Well basically you will be fine in the front w/ 25mm adapters and a decent tire but the rear is another story.

If you run a 25mm adapter, your final offset will be et2. Which is pretty low, You might want to search around for people w/ that offset. You might be able to make that work w/ a good stretched tire but I don't know for sure.

Hope that helps a little...

yeah it does! at least it gives me a starting point. i know at least some one has done it because i just came across a pic of someone whos running the wheel i want to put on my car, which kinda bums me out, but oh well, theyre sick wheels.

Vehicles
      91 EA Cabby - 02 24V GTI
      11-14-2007 04:02 PM #24
      I have an 01 jetta and ADR S-07R wheels

can anyone tell me what size rings to buy ???

PSN: kookly

25. 02-14-2008 04:14 AM #25
      The bolt pattern is 5 x 100. The original offset is +35-38. The tires size is 255/35/R18. If I want to install 18x9 or 18x9.5 TSW Kyalami rims for rear. What do I have to do??? Can I just put them on the rear without a spacer? If not, will the rear wheels and tires rub the inner fenders. The 18 x 9/9.5 wheels is too wide for rear, isn't? I wish someone can give an advice for me. Thank you!!

26. 04-01-2008 11:24 PM #26
      would these fit the my 2002 jetta gls no problem? I love these...It looks ok but i just want to make sure, they'll fit and clear the fenders and brakes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...sting

Vehicles
      2001 W.E Jetta
      04-02-2008 12:01 AM #27
      Are the GLI, 337, 20th, brakes different than the Wolfsburg Edition ones? Mainly concerning the 2001 year.

28. 04-04-2008 03:38 PM #28
      for my understanding of wheel offset. two of the same exact wheels say 19x8 wheel A has a 35 offset and wheel B has a 42 offset. Wheel B will sit inside the fender more correct?

29. 06-05-2008 01:27 PM #29
      so i can run 20's but its harder to install them?

30. 06-18-2008 05:59 PM #30
      My 03 has 15" steel rims w/hupcaps. Can I put 16" VW factory rims off of a 2006 Passat on my '03?

31. 07-03-2008 07:20 PM #31
      i need some info from you....

im wanting to run a set of rims that are 17x7.5 5x100 with an offset of 40 on my car(2000 jetta 1.8t). will the fit with no problem or will i have to buy spacers? i know i will probably have to buy centric rings, but what about spacers?

32. 03-28-2009 02:02 PM #32
      Acceptable variance for the offset? edit: will a +33 poke too much to lower? Trying to fig out how to get TE37's on the TDI wagon.

Modified by jamespickettphotography at 11:04 AM 3-28-2009

Vehicles
      04' BMP R32, 03' 2dr 5spd Golf TDI
      04-01-2009 03:12 PM #33
      Great thread! There is some very good information here. I just purchased a set of Mercedes AMG wheels (5x112) for my MKIV Golf. The front wheels are 18x8.5 ET30 and the rear are 18x9.5 ET33. I am concerned with fitment once I purchase adapters to go 5x100 to 5x112. The smallest adapter I can find is 15mm for the front. Not sure where I need to be at in the rear either. Looking to go flush with the arches with the wheel with a stretched 215 tire. Any advice?

04-01-2009 09:52 PM #34

Modified by BadBeetle at 9:08 PM 4-24-2009

Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00 View Post
      The 6's in a big body cars, were as slow as religions accepting gay marriage...

35. 07-26-2009 07:55 PM #35
      a bump 4 you!!! nice write up. but quick question. if say, i'm trying to go for a 18x9.5 or a 18x9 in the front and a 18x10 in the rear with a + 35offset. should i still get a 20mmfront and a 25mmrear spacers if i want an aggressive poke. for a audi a4 2002. it will be a great help, if you can answer me this question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast