Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 15 of 71 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: 16V G60 - How to

1. 03-30-2006 09:11 PM #351
      No mega HP. I'm not happy with my 83.5mm fully worked 16vG60. As far as power. Was looking for a bit more power but the G-Lader is the weak point...

2. 03-31-2006 09:14 AM #352
      Figured I would throw this in here for you guys as well... this is from my 20V 2.0 Vortech build up.
      Larger diameter Crank Pulley
      This is an OEM VW part. It has the proper offest to run with the 16V timing gears behind it. It will fit the same way as the billet units or the shaved ABA crank pulleys that alot of people run.
      Quick comparison:
      ABA
      size: 5.5 inches size: 6.37 inches
      weight: 3.1 lbs weight: 3.8 lbs
      ribs: 6 ribs: 6

This is a nice piece because it is a stock part, you dont have to worry about machining tolerances and it has a built in vibration dampener. It is also lighter the the G60 unit which weighs in at 6.4 lbs with the dampener.
      Questions that people have had about this... mainly, yes it will over drive your accessories, but that is how it is also going to over drive you charger..... meaning you can run a larger charger pulley and have less belt slip and the same boost levels. Or higher boost levels then what were previously possible.
      Really the only area of concern is the water pump, which is not all that efficient and should not build excess pressure. Power steering is still a V-belt situation so it will not change, and the alternator can be countered with a larger pulley that is already on the market to slow it down some if you are worried.
      If anyone is interested contact me I have them for $105 shipped [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

3. 03-31-2006 09:44 AM #353
      Quote, originally posted by Deuce34 »
      Just gave all 10 pages or so a read.
      For the last year i've been really interested in going the G60/16v route. Lots of cool history and a super cool setup with mega hp.
      All we're doing here is building motor's to handle forced induction. Everyone doign the different bottom end's and different head's. When it comes down to it, Your just buildling a motor that would best suite boost. As of now, I guess i'll start planning with the 9a motor and gear one of those up to take some PSI. but the original G6016v has G60 bottom end with 2.0L head....that can't be correct is it?
      I'm just trying to gather parts as of now. Trying to snatch up one of the last few BBM kits.

IIRC the original 16vG60 was a 1.8L 16v with custom pistons, thicker head gasket and different cams.

4. 04-19-2006 07:42 PM #354
      BUMPIzzle

5. 04-19-2006 09:00 PM #355
      As g60nut has said . the DELCO CS130 alt will fit under the charger. Ive been researching the topic since i dont need that amperage. Ive found GM 2.8l v6's pre 94 may also work and come in 70A and 100A.

6. 04-21-2006 03:09 PM #356
      should be trying some GM alts this weekend ill post back.

7. 04-22-2006 05:28 PM #357
      I have a quick ? can the pg crank, rods and piston be installed in a 1.8 16v block?? they have the same bore size

8. 04-23-2006 03:13 PM #358
      I have been reading a bunch of posts about the crankcase oil breather for the 16VG60 conversion and have not really gotten a clear picture of what options are out there. I am running a PG Block (custom pistons) with a 1.8L 16V head. I bought the BBM integration kit and was wondering how exactly those with this kit addressed the crankcase breather relocation. Anyone else with any other ideas besides the one that is suggested by BBM in there kit please give your inputs as well.
      Thanks
      Jason

9. 04-23-2006 06:55 PM #359
      Mine breaths into a catch-can with sump return line, that`s a 16v bottom end though..

10. 04-23-2006 07:08 PM #360
      my displacer is shot . im looking for another charger or blower type . might jus run a snail

11. 04-23-2006 07:28 PM #361
      Quote, originally posted by KeithMac »
      Mine breaths into a catch-can with sump return line, that`s a 16v bottom end though..

can you show me some pics?? Any Pics of any other setups would be helpful.

Modified by FastCorrG60 at 2:23 AM 4-24-2006

12. 04-24-2006 06:19 PM #362
      So guys anybody want to share their crankcase breather setups (catch can, etc.). Pictures would be extremely helpful.
      Thanks
      Jason

13. 04-24-2006 06:49 PM #363
      Quote, originally posted by FastCorrG60 »
      So guys anybody want to share their crankcase breather setups (catch can, etc.). Pictures would be extremely helpful.
      Thanks
      Jason

what i was thinking was from my N/B breather on top of the cam cover -----> Catch Can ---> return side of sharger . being im using a 16v block the block breather outlet is close to the same distance out of the g60 intake return so i was thinking of running a hose from the block breather to the return side of the charger to keep it lubed.

14. 04-24-2006 07:01 PM #364
      I read a couple of posts that they have seen better results and actually seen longer charger life by venting everything in the catch can and eliminating the tube that goes from the charger to the TB and just putting a K&N filter on the opening left by removing the tube.
      anyone have any feedback on this type of setup??
      thanks
      jason

15. 04-24-2006 07:08 PM #365
      I read a couple of posts that they have seen better results and actually seen longer charger life by venting everything in the catch can and eliminating the tube that goes from the charger to the TB and just putting a K&N filter on the opening left by removing the tube.
      thanks
      jason

where does the return on the can go then? i wouldnt be runing the piping from the bypass to the charger . a block off plate would be made with a barb to take return from catch can or block but not directly from cam cover breather. in one of BBM FAQ's they state that the g60 uses the oil fumes and residue to lubricate itself.

Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta SportWagen 2.5L
      04-24-2006 07:10 PM #366
      thanks
      jason

It sounds like that would work best. This also goes for turbo setups also. I ran a catch can on my 1.8T Passat and never had any issues. Cleaned out the intake track and was perfectly clean.
      Scuba Steve
      Certified Audi Technician
      Steve White VW/Audi

17. 04-24-2006 08:00 PM #367
      Quote, originally posted by golf198v2.0 »
      where does the return on the can go then? i wouldnt be runing the piping from the bypass to the charger . a block off plate would be made with a barb to take return from catch can or block but not directly from cam cover breather. in one of BBM FAQ's they state that the g60 uses the oil fumes and residue to lubricate itself.

Well from what I read on those setups the catch can would not return to anything. There would just be a drain at the bottom of the can that you would empty out every time you change your oil.
      All this feedback is great, keep it coming with everyones different setups.
      Thanks
      Jason

18. 04-28-2006 12:04 AM #368
      ttt

19. 04-30-2006 12:12 AM #369
      ttt

20. 05-02-2006 02:23 PM #370
      Phew, read all pages and this is very interesting !
      Thank you all for contributing and helping others.
      Please, DO host pictures safely so they won't be deleted after a while and cripple the thread.
      Also, sometimes it easier to post pics of certain issues that seem to be of great interest, for instance the solutions for the 16V water flange.
      There seem to be several solutions but i haven't seen any of them in this thread, sometimes a picture says more than a 1000 words.
      Once more, thank you all for contributing and keep it alive [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

21. 05-04-2006 10:11 AM #371
      i am finished with mine , had a few problems , but all is fixed . thanks to everyone here that helped and my build pages are finished also
      so if anyone wants to see what it takes to do the bbm conversion , go through the 18 pages . i tryed to get as detailed as i could . there is so much information in here and on the yahoo group , but i wanted to lay down my build in a plan order . it is not instructions , but how i did it .
      hope it helps out many of you that are gonna build these motors .
      herby53
      the site is still getting built and sorry for the big pics , but the new pages will be much better when it is finished
      build site >> http://www.herbys53.com/06MOTORBUILD.html <<< and fallow to page 18
      www.KONI.com

Supporting Koni Since I could drive.

22. 05-04-2006 12:16 PM #372
      Nice webpage A LOT of info. Now for the block breather, is that foam filter that was included in the BBM kit especially for a block breather. Also is the way you implemented the filter the only way to go (with the TT block off plate).
      Thanks
      Jason

23. 05-04-2006 01:31 PM #373
      the block should have a breather , you want to get the pressure out of there. the filter came with the kit , but check with john about it as i bought my kit unused , but not from BBM direct , it was a kit someone didnt get around to putting on . but i am almost sure it comes with the kit.
      the kit comes with a hose for the breather and i put it there due to being a nice pace and out of the way . oil whoud have to make it up really high to come out of the filter [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      www.KONI.com

24. 05-04-2006 03:59 PM #374
      I got the filter. Never got the hose though? Just wondering on whether it can be implemented differently. Also when would you implement a catch can. Since my motor is completely rebuilt I don't expect to see much oil blow by, but depending where you put the block breather you would have oil venting out anyways??
      Thanks
      Jason

25. 05-05-2006 11:46 AM #375
      you could run that block breather into a can , but if you run the filter high ( like mine ) the oil wont go that high . if you run the bettel one , i would run a can , cause the lobes are right under it . i dont run the beattle one on mine .
      www.KONI.com

Page 15 of 71 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast