Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Brake/Rear Parking Lights won't turn-off

1. 01-18-2005 12:07 PM #1
      I have a 2003 1.8T Passat wagon.

This morning, when I got out of the car, the rear parking/brake lights would not turn off. I disconnected the "-" terminal of the battery to try to reset any simple errors, and they were still on. Here in the land of the sub-zero, I can't afford to leave the lights on, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate the help.

The other problem is that the nearest VW dealer is 100 miles from here, so I can't run to a dealer very quickly.

Thanks

01-18-2005 12:18 PM #2
      Try turning the headlights switch on-off-on-off a few times while simultaneously activating the fog lights as-well (if you have them).

Other than that, look up the fuse location in the manual, pull the fuse, and get prepared for a 100 mile drive *in the daytime*.

Hers: 2013 Beetle Convertible - Tornado Red, Beige Top & Interior, Tiptronic
      Mine: 2012 Golf - Tornado Red, Titan Black Interior, Convenience Package, Tiptronic

Vehicles
      2003 VW Passat GLS Variant
      01-18-2005 12:54 PM #3
      I had that happen to me on the weekend, but I did not realise it until the battery was dead. It turned out to be a faulty Brake Light Switch as my VW mechanic friend changed it for me. It not only drained the battery, but also reset the power door locks, so now the remote can only unlock the trunk and driver's door, all the other doors have to be unlocked from the driver's door. Plus the EPC lightis is also on, which he said was due to the brake light switch. I have to carry it in for the dealer to reset the door locks, remove the EPC and change the Brake Light Switch. The one I have temporarily is for a Golf/ Jetta, the Passat is slightly different, but will work. Now he tells me that there is a recall on these switches for all the Jettas, Golfs, GTIs and Bettles but not the Passat. Good thing it happened at home. All is covered under warranty, not sure about your 2001 though.

Vehicles
      01-18-2005 12:57 PM #4
      Sorry, I now see it was for the 2003 taht you have, maybe its a issue that plauges all the 2003s, mine was a early 2003. Its covered under warranty though. But its the hassel to go to the dealer's to have it done. Mine is only 25 miles away though. Good Luck.

01-18-2005 01:04 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by newvariant »
      I had that happen to me on the weekend, but I did not realise it until the battery was dead.

How many miles did you have when it failed?

[Notice my 2003 Oct. 02 build below.]

Mine: 2012 Golf - Tornado Red, Titan Black Interior, Convenience Package, Tiptronic

Vehicles
      01-18-2005 01:14 PM #6
      I had 27,850 miles on it when it happened and has been trouble free since now. My build date was 09/02. My friend tells me that he does not know why the Passats don't have the recall, the switches are slightly different but basically the same, this was the Passat's 2nd redesigned switch since the B5.5 release, however it looks like they need to go back to the drawing board. Maybe it was just a bad batch that plagued the 2003s. My sister's 2003 Jetta already experienced that last year with 9,400 miles on it.

01-18-2005 01:38 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by newvariant »
      I had 27,850 miles on it when it happened...My build date was 09/02.

I'm at 25,600 miles with a 10/02 build date.

Vehicles
      01-18-2005 02:00 PM #8
      Then keep and eye on it, I never noticed until the following morning when I found that the remote was not responding.

9. 01-18-2005 06:02 PM #9
      Thanks,

I tried switching the head/fog lights on and off a few times, and low and behold the brake lights went off.

Thanks again

01-18-2005 06:55 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by ruby0507 »
      Thanks,

I tried switching the head/fog lights on and off a few times, and low and behold the brake lights went off.

Thanks again

Glad to help out!