Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Autocross Information Thread

1. 04-16-2007 01:39 PM #26
      there is no way to know if someone is honest about mods or not exept that anouther competitor can protest a part or potetially illegal mod and unless you can prove that the mods in question are legal for your class you will loose your trophy and have to pay far the dissasymly/reassymbly of your car.
      as far as most local events they are just for fun and a simple protest to something obvious may mean that you have to run a class or two high than you thoght, but most small or insignificant mods will be overlooked unless you turn out to be a national level driver in wich case they might protest anyways to move you out of ther class.

Modified by meangreen18T at 10:42 AM 4-16-2007

2. 04-17-2007 12:33 PM #27
      you're cuteee

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 2008 911 GT3
      05-13-2007 06:25 AM #28
      edit: nm... looks like the MKV is G-S and DSP (mod dependant)
      JJ

Modified by CDN_MKV at 3:51 AM 5-13-2007
      2010 GTI (CSG 6spd 4dr)
      2008 911 GT3

4. 06-05-2007 07:45 PM #29
      I was thinking of eventually swapping a 16v head onto my 2.0l 8v engine and was wondering what class that would put me in (just assume stock otherwise, I'm only curious about the particular mod)

5. 06-05-2007 10:17 PM #30
      your probably looking at SM...

Quote, originally posted by XclerksX »
      I was thinking of eventually swapping a 16v head onto my 2.0l 8v engine and was wondering what class that would put me in (just assume stock otherwise, I'm only curious about the particular mod)

6. 06-11-2007 06:56 AM #31
      I have a question about my car. I have a 4 door 1983 VW rabbit. I have upgraded it with parts from my wrecked 83 gti. I converted it to a manual tranny and put in the stock gti engine/tranny. I put the front and rear sway bars on it. It also has the gti front seats, steering wheel and vented front rotors that the gti was originaly equiped with. Also the front air dam off the gti. I am wondering how it would work with the solo2 rules. Could it be considered stock? Or because it has engine/tranny and sway bars that it did not come with, would it be in a higher class? I understand the rest of the modification restrictions, just not quite sure about the gti stuff I added. Like if I say that the gti stuff I added is considered stock, then with the stress bars, urethane engine and suspension bushings I added would put me in the Street Touring (STS) class. I hope somone can help me out, I just want to know how this would all work out. Thank you.

7. 06-11-2007 07:25 AM #32
      in order to be stock you need to have "all" of the optinons/configurations that the gti came frome the factory with. So if the gti only came in 2door and you have a 4 door your car could never be considered a stock gti. If your car was completly upgraded to factory gti statusyou caould be sonsidered stock then add/subtract to get into st_ calsses.
      However, I belive your car would probably be in SM as is.

8. 06-11-2007 06:29 PM #33
      Thank you for clarifying that for me. Thats kind of how I figured it would work out. I just not that familar with the rules on modifications. Thanks again.

9. 07-17-2007 01:11 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by meangreen18T »
      in order to be stock you need to have "all" of the optinons/configurations that the gti came frome the factory with. So if the gti only came in 2door and you have a 4 door your car could never be considered a stock gti. If your car was completly upgraded to factory gti statusyou caould be sonsidered stock then add/subtract to get into st_ calsses.
      However, I belive your car would probably be in SM as is.

I believe all those mods fall under the update/backdate rules for Street Prepared (maybe ST has the same rule, IDK). The car would be legal for FSP.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4
      08-29-2007 12:51 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by Mhyrr »
      Changes in stock boost level, for example, are illegal in Stock, Street Touring, and Street Prepared. It would be an impossible task to set boost level maximums and actually be able to control or check levels at an event. The alternative is either allowing unlimited boost (which is what Street Modified does) or allowing no boost changes (SP and lower).

...so ok - I have a GIAC 93 Octane program on my 1.8T. If I get the Flashloader that restores the car's PCM to its stock maps, will I be able to run stock class?? the boost levels would be back to normal, also.
      Thug Sauce

11. 08-30-2007 09:09 AM #36
      by the book you have to have the stock programming to run stock class, however it is unlikely that anyone will care if you run GIAC's flashloader interpretation of the "stock" calibration. Your going to get beat by the Mini Cooper S anyways. If i were you I would run the flashloader stock program and just not tell anybody that you are or were ever chipped.

Vehicles
      1991 Golf GTI
      08-31-2007 02:53 PM #37
      One note I would like to add.
      The first class that allows you to change your steering wheel if your car came equipped with an airbag is street prepared.
      If your car came equipped with an air bag you can not put an after market in and run in street touring.
      1991 GTI | 1990 GLI | Twitter | Instagram | DeadFormat

I'm getting too old to worry about going fast.

13. 09-03-2007 10:15 PM #38
      Hopefully this will be an easier question than some of the others.
      I used to race my 94 Jetta in the FSP classification but my 07 Rabbit is listed in H class stock. Right now it is stock, and I can't find the Rabbit listed anywhere else in the classivication pages.
      I would assume that in a couple months, after my upgrades I would fall back into the FSP, even though the Rabbit is not an F class stock car? There is no HSP classification, and don't want to look like a complete fool walking out there and not knowing where to race.
      I am also tempted to go ahead and start competing in the FSP class to get prepared for when I will actully become competitive.
      Thanks for any help, this thread has been very helpfull so far.

Vehicles
      1991 Golf GTI
      09-04-2007 08:15 AM #39
      Quote, originally posted by Rodger Rabbit »
      Hopefully this will be an easier question than some of the others.
      I used to race my 94 Jetta in the FSP classification but my 07 Rabbit is listed in H class stock. Right now it is stock, and I can't find the Rabbit listed anywhere else in the classivication pages.
      I would assume that in a couple months, after my upgrades I would fall back into the FSP, even though the Rabbit is not an F class stock car? There is no HSP classification, and don't want to look like a complete fool walking out there and not knowing where to race.
      I am also tempted to go ahead and start competing in the FSP class to get prepared for when I will actully become competitive.
      Thanks for any help, this thread has been very helpfull so far.

It depends on what you plan to do to the car. You may be able to just run STS. And yes, you would probably be in FSP.
      1991 GTI | 1990 GLI | Twitter | Instagram | DeadFormat

I'm getting too old to worry about going fast.

15. 12-11-2007 10:49 AM #40
      Bold classes are classes that are applicable to VW.
      Audi folks already know where they belong.
      Levels of prep:
      Stock -=> Street Touring -=> Street Prepared -=> Prepared -=> Modified
      Stock: SS AS BS CS DS ES FS GS HS
      Touring: STS, STX, STU
      Street Prepared: ASP BSP CSP DSP ESP FSP
      Prepared: AP BP CP DP EP FP

Clarification: You do not add a "Street Prepared" to your stock class if you want to move up to a Street Prepared class.
      An HStock car cannot go to "H Street Prepared" since there is not such thing.
      It is your responsibility to find and properly class your car.

DS: 1K R32, 1J R32
      Other DS: Integra Type R, Subaru WRX
      GS: 1K GLI, 1K GTI, 1K Jetta 2.0T, 1J Jetta 1.8T, Wagon 1.8T, Corrado VR6, Corrado G60, Scirocco 16V, Golf/GTI/Jetta 16V, 1J VR6 Jetta/Golf/GTI, , Passat V6, any 1.8T not otherwise classified.
      Other GS: 2007 Mini Cooper S, Focus SVT, Celica GT-S
      HS: 1K Jetta 2.5, 1K Rabbit 2.5, Jetta III 2.0, GTI 2.0, Golf 2.0, 8V Scirocco, Beetle 2.0, Beetle 2.5, Fox, 8V Golf, 8V Rabbit, Ghia, Dasher, Quantum, Jetta TDI, Passat TDI, Golf TDI, Beetle TDI
      Other HS: Mazda 3, Mini Cooper, B14 Sentra SE-R, Integra
      DSP: 1K 2.0T, 1K 2.5L, 1J 1.8T, Corrado, 16V Scirocco, 1J VR6, MKIII VR6, R32, Turbo Beetle
      Other DSP: BMW 325, AE86 Corolla
      FSP: Beetle, Fox, 8V Golf & Jetta, 8V Golf Jetta Rabbit Pickup Scirocco, Ghia, TDI, 85-92 Cabriolet, Dasher, Quantum, 85-92 Golf Jetta Cabrio
      Popular FSP: Scirocco
      SM: All Models Eligible
      Popular SM: BMW M3
      SM2: All Models Eligible
      Popular SM2: Corvette
      XP: All Models Eligible
      EP:MK1 Rabbits, MK1 Jettas, Scirocco
      (Thank you Trevor Beck [TBeck])
      Popular EP: Rabbit
      Examples:
      2006 GLI with coilovers and LSD
      Can run in STX on street tires, OR DSP on R-Compounds + ability to update backdate.
      2006 Rabbit 2.5 with coilovers
      Can run in STS, OR DSP with R-Compounds + ability to update backdate.
      1995 Jetta 2.0L with shocks and springs
      Must run in STS as the Springs bump it out of HStock
      2000 Golf 2.0 with Neuspeed Supercharger
      SM, SM2 or XP
      1984 Jetta with a Peloquin and 2.0 Swap and Full Race Slicks (no DOT approval)
      EP or XP
      1995 GTI with a Honda K20 engine swap
      XP

Modified by OGSN0 at 3:26 PM 12-11-2007

16. 12-12-2007 11:56 AM #41
      hi guys, joseph here...i own a 93 eunos roadster that i have started using for autocross early 2007.still quite new in this sport.i'm from the philippines by the way where the local autocross and slalom events are filled with old toyota starlets

17. 12-12-2007 06:21 PM #42
      So you are in Manila huh? I thought just driving on the streets there was like a daily AutoX from what I have heard LOL. My GF is from Cebu, then Davao.
      Back in the 80's I worked for Toyota dealers for many years. I remember getting the Toyota Motorsport magazines back then. It was mostly rally coverage, but I always remember in the back with the road racing section were always a lot of pictures of Starlets racing in Asia. But those Starlets were way different than the onese sold here in the USA. And I would imagine with TRD support for them, and not much for you from VW, you have your work cut out for you to be competitive. Well good luck, and Malagayan Pasko!
      As for the list of classes up above, I am not too sure what is meant by 1K or 1J??? I have a 2006 GTI, but it is an early made MKV GTI with the DSG trans and 2.0T. But from trying to read your desription, I am confused where I would be placed = GS or HS?
      And yes, I am an old timer at AutoX (since 74), but I have been away from the sport for over a year now since I moved to a different state, so lost track of what class I would be in currently. Got back into playing paintball more these days

18. 12-13-2007 08:58 AM #43
      driving in manila is such a bore because the traffic has worsened over the years...i got my miata from davao...the starlet's here really do have the TRD support they need...there is an abundance of twinside carb engines...well my miata still has a stock engine.i just play around with the suspension. right now i have bilstein shocks and RS*R springs because my miata is also daily driven and with the road conditions here,it's as if i'm riding with no shock absorbers at all!LOL

Vehicles
      '99 Golf TDI
      04-21-2008 02:03 AM #44
      What class would my golf be in, Stock '85 NA diesel with 14s?

Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      06-12-2008 10:46 PM #45
      what class am i in
      1990 jetta
      96 2.0l 8v which is now turbo.
      Has neuspeed/koni suspension,rear sway bar
      15x7.5inch wheels/195 toyos
      i think i'm STS.Not sure since i have a engine swap.
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-lugtronic
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

21. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      1995 e36 M3 coupe (STU), 2004 Mini Cooper S (F Prepared), 1987 16vGTI (ST), 1992 16v Passat (FSP)
      08-20-2008 08:21 PM #46
      the switch to turbo puts you in SM, good luck.

Vehicles
      08-20-2008 10:43 PM #47
      ya.Thats going to alittle harder I might just stick to sebring were i stand a chance

Vehicles
      96 VW GTI VR6, 2003 Nissan Murano SE, 2002 BMW 325 Ci Convertible
      08-22-2008 04:57 PM #48
      The swapped engine alone puts in SM. I'd be worried if you didn't have a turbo, as it could give you the chance to be competitive.

Vehicles
      08-22-2008 06:53 PM #49
      what about toyo comps ra tires

Vehicles
      96 VW GTI VR6, 2003 Nissan Murano SE, 2002 BMW 325 Ci Convertible
      08-22-2008 07:04 PM #50
      They will be fine.
      Will they be as fast as Hoosiers or Kumhos? no, probably not, but it depends on your competition and the size of the SM class in your area.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast