Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 71 to 84 of 84

    Thread: The Autocross Information Thread

    1. 12-13-2011 03:43 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by B518tko4 View Post
      I currently have a 98 passat sedan. Mild turbo swap. No suspension upgrades. Would I be able to just drive up and run?

      Is there any other b5 guys running autocross that could give a beginner on which upgrades to make and which not to make.

      I am assuming that I'd be in the street class and not prepared.
      If you are planning to run with a club that runs SCCA rules your turbo swap will most likely move you to SM, which is street modified. Don't get caught up in the classing, just come out and drive and have fun. I would not change anything on the car, learning how to drive around the faults of a particular car will make you a better driver. Acquire the skills > then make the mods to the car. Good Luck

    2. Member B518tko4's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2011
      Posts
      195
      Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      12-13-2011 04:28 PM #72
      Thanks man. I'm from pa and as soon as spring hits I'm hitting the course. I been to a few and it looks like so much fun. I can't wait.

    3. Member B518tko4's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2011
      Posts
      195
      Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      12-13-2011 04:30 PM #73
      I'm assuming you do this for fun. Is there anything I'll need to enter.

    4. 12-14-2011 12:07 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by B518tko4 View Post
      I'm assuming you do this for fun. Is there anything I'll need to enter.
      Fun has become an obsession.

      To enter, make sure your car mechanically is in good shape, it will have to pass a tech inspection which looks for anything obviously loose and dangerous, bad wheel bearings, loose battery, loose items in the interior, etc. Almost every club has loaner helmets, but you will want your own soon enough, make sure it is SNELL rated as either a SA or M 2010 designation, If you plan to do track days then I would focus on the SA rated helmets. Best bet, check out the website for to club that is organizing the events you plan to enter and read everything you can. Additionally there is a great website, AutoX4u.com, click the novice link on the the right hand side and start reading.

    5. Member B518tko4's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2011
      Posts
      195
      Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      12-14-2011 07:41 PM #75
      Thanks alot. I have been getting this bug since I saw goodguys autocross. Ever seen Detroit speeds 70 camaro. Any how thanks again and hopefully I will be autocrossing in the spring.

    6. 03-24-2012 03:53 AM #76
      Now I know what autocross mean,thank you for this wonderful information,it explained there the complete information about it.On that kind of sports we all know that a very good quality of automobile is very important, as stated there.If you are planning to get this type of car With personal car loans, you can afford a new car even if you do not make as much money as a CEO.

    7. Member stuvy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2005
      Location
      Lethbridge, Alberta
      Posts
      837
      Vehicles
      S4, A4, MK5
      05-03-2012 11:59 PM #77
      Honestly I think to many people here are getting way to caught up on being "competitive" based on classing. The flaw in this thinking, especially of the start (which if your worried about classing your obviously new anyways) is that in your given area, you might not even have another car in the class your worried about being competitive in. The only time its truely going to make a difference is for national or regional events, if your trying to win a title. Locally we have 40-50 cars that will show up, usually about 25-30 per event. I have had 1 other car ever show up and run in my class, 1 car in over 50 events over the last few years. At the end of the day having HS, or STX, or SM on the classing doesn't make a difference if your the only one in the class.

      Another interesting note around here is basically we have a few guys that are always close for ftd, the classing and range of cars is crazy. We have a stock S2000 (GS or whatever class, on Hoosiers) but amazing driver, we have an STI in STU, a 73 toyota celica in SM, and a mk3 Jetta is FSP. The 4 drivers are always battling for FTD. If that doesn't show the range of driver, I don't know what else will. None of the cars are making the difference since the class should have the fsp car way faster then the GS and stu cars, but this isnt the case.

      Just drive and have fun.

    8. Member Karmanniac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2002
      Location
      Newark, DE
      Posts
      347
      Vehicles
      2003 1.8 Tango
      06-25-2012 11:16 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by stuvy View Post
      Honestly I think to many people here are getting way to caught up on being "competitive" based on classing....Just drive and have fun.
      Okay, but I've won a couple times in H Stock and I feel like I'm punching below my weight, so to speak. How do I find out what's the next step up, and what I'm permitted to do? It used to be DSP, but with the new touring classes I'm all confused. Is there a checklist out there for the new rules?
      -= DelDubs =-

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2010
      Location
      Commonwealth
      Posts
      149
      Vehicles
      24v GLi, S13
      01-21-2013 12:35 AM #79
      Will coilovers exclude you from stock and STS?

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2010
      Location
      Commonwealth
      Posts
      149
      Vehicles
      24v GLi, S13
      01-21-2013 11:51 AM #80
      Nevermind, searched and found

    11. 03-07-2014 11:55 PM #81
      Hey guys i have a few questions. Im building a MKII golf for autocross, trackdays, and possibly time attack. Im not concerned with being competitive, but I do want competition to run against.

      If my car is even legal to run, Im sure it will be in the most extreme class.

      Here are a few specs that will dictate class

      Mildly worked over 1.8t
      15x10 wheels
      widened track
      tubular subframe and control arms with radically moved pickup points
      tubular front frame structure, highly modified front strut towers

      The strut tower modification is what worries me most. There will be maybe 25% of the original steel left and thats it. I know lots of racing classes allow no chassis modifications between the strut towers except for safety devices such as a cage. Will cutting out the front strut towers and re working them make my car invalid to run in scca autocross?

    12. Member tgontkof's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2008
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2014 GLI 6MT Autobahn with Nav
      03-08-2014 12:05 PM #82
      I would check out www.sccaforums.com. Someone usually responds quickly and they will be able to help you out. It doesn't seem like any one checks this thread anymore.

      Even though your car is heavily modified, I'm sure you can still run autocross. You just might be in some crazy class.

    13. 03-08-2014 09:40 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by tgontkof View Post
      I would check out www.sccaforums.com. Someone usually responds quickly and they will be able to help you out. It doesn't seem like any one checks this thread anymore.

      Even though your car is heavily modified, I'm sure you can still run autocross. You just might be in some crazy class.
      thank you. I started a thread over there and ill see what happens now.

    14. Member 4ceFed4's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2002
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      6,457
      Vehicles
      '10 JSW, '01 Golf, '08 MCS, '12 Fusion
      03-11-2014 09:49 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Truckinduc View Post
      Hey guys i have a few questions. Im building a MKII golf for autocross, trackdays, and possibly time attack. Im not concerned with being competitive, but I do want competition to run against.

      If my car is even legal to run, Im sure it will be in the most extreme class.

      Here are a few specs that will dictate class

      Mildly worked over 1.8t
      15x10 wheels
      widened track
      tubular subframe and control arms with radically moved pickup points
      tubular front frame structure, highly modified front strut towers

      The strut tower modification is what worries me most. There will be maybe 25% of the original steel left and thats it. I know lots of racing classes allow no chassis modifications between the strut towers except for safety devices such as a cage. Will cutting out the front strut towers and re working them make my car invalid to run in scca autocross?
      Up until you modified the suspension mount points and strut towers you would have been SMF. With the alterations I think that you're looking at D Modified.

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •