Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to change oil in 2004 VW Beetle

1. 02-06-2005 03:26 PM #1
      Hello all,

I searched on changing the oil in a VW and learned it will probably be a messy job.

My question - do you just pull the plug behind the metal underbelly pan and let it run all over? Ill do that if thats the right answer - but I would fire every VW engineer along with it.

2. 02-06-2005 04:37 PM #2
      Remove the four hex screws holding the plastic bottom engine cover first. The filter is hard to remove without making a mess.

3. 02-07-2005 01:32 AM #3
      do you have a 'vert or coupe if you have a coupe remove the four screws with a t20 torx bit. if you have a vert you must drop the metal plate. if your going to work on your own vw i highly suggest going to sears or any toll shop and buying a set of torx bits!

4. 02-07-2005 12:28 PM #4
      it's actually not a messy job if you have a catch pan.
      you remove the underbelly plastic piece, remove the drain plug.
      (be sure to use a new crush washer when you reinstall, and DON'T over torque!)
      and then remove the filter and replace with a new one.

removing the filter is a little tricky due to the space, but if you have a good catch pan, and a towel, you can avoid spilling any.

Vehicles
      2009 NBC
      02-07-2005 08:54 PM #5
      Try using a Fram Sure Drain SD-2 quick drain kit. This will ease the mess and will eliminate removal of the cover plates/braces. I did this on my NBC with great sucess. Except for the mess when changing the filter. Tom