Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Replace Phaeton Wiper Blades

1. 02-06-2005 10:22 PM #1
      I just noticed something I've not seen before while exploring the "settings" position of the infotainment system. I noticed an option that allows for wiper (not diaper) change and also for adjustment of the headlights. Has anyone fiddled with these features yet? Under "settings" it is labeled under service and maintenance I think. Anyway, just curious if anyone has fooled around with these features. I'm also wondering if the reason I've never seen this is maybe when I changed to European codes did this suddenly become available.

2. Member
      02-06-2005 10:40 PM #2
      Seen is in the infotainment system and the manual. Hope this helps explain it a little better.

When scraping ice or snow, I realized the wipers are recessed into the hood to much to allow them to be "fliped" out of the way. I would guess this is an arodynamic design? I have thought of using this option to see if they can be positioned away from the windshield for clearing, just haven't gotten that far.

Modified by whealy at 7:46 PM 2-6-2005

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      02-06-2005 11:13 PM #3
      The 'Headlight Adjustment' function is something that we as owners will probably never need to use. Activating this function causes both of the headlight washer jets to extend, thus allowing the technician access to a headlight alignment adjustment screw that is normally covered up by the flat panel on the front of the washer jet.

Phaeton headlights are electronically adjusted - the headlight level control system is dynamic, and uses data collected from the level sensors on each wheel. It should only be necessary to adjust the screw in the event of, uh, an 'impact' that might laterally misalign the headlights. We as owners cannot do this properly, because headlight alignment requires both a diagnostic scan tool, and a headlight alignment jig such as a VAS 5208 or 5209 tester.

The wiper change control lifts the wipers up a little bit from their normal park position at the very bottom of the windshield, to allow the wiper arms to be pulled up free of the glass and positioned at a right angle to the glass when the wiper blades are changed. If the wiper blades are not first moved up to the 'change' position, the wiper arm will scrape the trailing edge of the hood as it is lifted up beyond about a 30° angle from the glass.

Both of these service modes - headlight alignment and wiper change - can be invoked with a diagnostic scan tool, and in practice, that is how they are invoked. VW provides the owners with the ability to invoke these modes themselves, from the infotainment center, in case the owner wants to perform this work by themselves and they do not have a diagnostic scan tool.

Michael

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      02-27-2005 12:38 AM #4
      Here is a better explanation:

Last edited by PanEuropean; 09-01-2012 at 06:28 PM.

5. 04-30-2005 11:16 AM #5
      Just installed new blades. Once again this vehicle amazes me - that something as simple as wiper replacement can be so simple and yes, elegant, is a testament to VW's engineering prowess.

Normally I would have had the dealership do this simple task but I'm actually glad I did it myself. Not only did it renew my appreciation of this wonderful car but prevented my perfectly imcompetent service department from screwing it up.

Dan

6. 11-21-2005 04:39 PM #6
      Michael,
      I feel I need to put new blades on my wiper system as they are really making a noise as they sweep the windshield. Did those wiper blades you bought here in Trussville at the Advance Auto Parts work out OK for you???

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      11-21-2005 06:17 PM #7
      Hi David:

Yes, they worked perfectly. I'll write up a detailed post, with pictures, later tonight. I just got off a 9 hour flight (am back in Canada) - will take a nap first, I think.

Michael

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      11-23-2005 04:31 AM #8
      Windshield wiper blade on any car (or aircraft) usually deteriorate due to exposure to sunlight and ozone in the atmosphere long before they wear out from abrasion against the windshield. Typically, a blade will last between 6 and 12 months before substandard wiping performance is evident. If the blade is older than 12 months, performance will be substantially worse than what it was when the blade was new.

There are two possible ways to refresh the windshield wiper blades on a Phaeton: One way is to purchase and install a complete replacement wiper, and the other way is to replace the rubber blade only. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

Replacing the Entire Wiper Assembly
      Advantages
      – It’s really quick and easy to do, takes about 30 seconds per side.
      – It can be done by your VW dealer when your Phaeton is in for service, or, you can do it yourself, no tools are needed.

Disadvantage
      – $60 cost for two new wiper assemblies.
      – Some dealerships may charge to install the blades (typically 1/10th of an hour labour).

Replacing the Blade Only
      Advantages
      – $6 cost for two new wiper blades.
      – It’s a simple job to do, no special tools or skills are needed, and it’s kind of fun to do it.

Disadvantages
      – It takes about 20 minutes to do the work – maybe a bit longer the first time you do it.
      – You need to do it yourself. In theory, you could ask your VW dealer to do it for you, but the labour charge would negate the savings on the parts purchase.
      – You need to do a bit of hunting around to find an exact match for the blade.
      - Edit added January 14, 2006 after driving for 6 weeks with replacement blade inserts: The replacement inserts don't work as well as replacing the whole wiper blade with an original VW part. See my comments at the top of page 2 of this thread.

This post provides instructions for either method.

If you want to replace the blades only, rather than the entire wiper assembly, it is essential that you purchase a replacement blade that has exactly the same profile as the original blade. After a few unsuccessful forays to Wal-Mart, I eventually found the correct replacement blade at an AutoZone store in David Cowan’s town. I purchased Trico blades – longer than what was recommended – an

Suitable Replacement Blade
      This blade is longer than what is needed - you cut it to size.

1 – Put the wipers in the ‘wiper change’ position, using the control on the infotainment console. This will move the two wiper arms up into the fully extended position. If you try and lift the wiper arms when they are in the usual parked position, you will scratch the paint on the trailing edge of the hood - and, you won't be able to lift the blades up high enough to rotate them and remove the blade from the wiper arm.

The control for moving the wiper blades to the maintenance position can be found within the commands available from the ‘VEHICLE’ button.

Maintenance Function Screen
      Important Tech Tip: You can only operate the wiper arms from this maintenance screen if the wiper switch is in the OFF position.
      If the wiper arms do not move when you press the button, it is because the wiper switch is still in the 'intermittent wipe' position,
      because you left it there the last time it was raining.

Wiper Changing Position
      Note that the longer of the two blades goes on the driver side of the car.

2 – Lift the wiper blade away from the glass, rotate the blade about 45°, and pull it towards you. It will come off the wiper arm.

Removal is very simple and requires no tools or force

3 – Lower the wiper arm (now missing the blade) back down to the glass. Do not leave the wiper arm standing up away from the glass – if it decides to snap back, powered by the spring, it will crack the windshield! (Thanks, Chris, for this tip!)

4 – Take the blades to a workbench. Bring along a small pair of needle-nose pliers, and a very small slotted screwdriver or a dental tool.

5 – Grasp the rubber blade at each end of the assembly, and wiggle it back and forth. You will discover that the blade is attached firmly at one end, but loose at the other. You will be taking apart the end that the blade is attached firmly to.

6 – Pull the cap off the end of the blade that the wiper is attached firmly to. You might be able to do this with your fingers, or, perhaps you might have to use a pair of pliers, or pry the cap off by placing it against the edge of a workbench and pressing on it.

One way to remove the cap from the end

7 – Once the cap is off, you will see that there is a small metal tang that presses down into the wiper blade to hold it in place. Pry this tang upwards a little bit using a small screwdriver or a dental tool.

Before lifting the tang

After lifting the tang

8 – Slide the blade out from the assembly. If you encounter any difficulty removing the blade, immerse the whole assembly in a sink full of warm water and dish soap. This will lubricate the blade and allow it to come out easily.

Removing the old blade

9 – Cut the new blade to the exact size of the existing blade. The new blade might come with some metal strips and other accessory parts included. These metal strips and accessory parts can be discarded, they are not needed for cars manufactured by VW.

10 – Wash the track that the old blade was in using warm water, dish soap, and a toothbrush. This will clean dirt out of the track and make it easy to slide the new blade into the slot.

Cleaning the blade channel before installing the new blade

11 – Install the new blade. This normally requires a bit of tugging and wiggling. It is difficult to install the new blade if the channel is dry, but pretty easy to install it if everything has been wetted with water and dish soap, and you did a good job cleaning dust and dirt out of the channel. The first half of the new blade usually goes in easily, the second half requires a bit of fooling around. Be sure that when you are finished, there is no tension or compression on the blade. If the blade is compressed or under tension, it may not wipe satisfactorily when you reinstall it.

12 – Press the metal tang back (from step 7) down to lock the new blade in place.

13 – Install the cap on the end of the wiper. If it does not appear to snap on firmly, apply a tiny dab of cyanoacrylate glue (Crazy Glue) to the assembly, opposite the blade. Use half as much glue as you think you need – a little goes a long way.

If the tab was damaged during removal, you might need a drop of glue to hold the cap on.

14 – Put the blades back on the car. The longer of the two goes on the driver side.

I don't know how many times the blade can be replaced before it becomes necessary to replace the complete assembly. My guess is that eventually, the cap on the end will break, and that will necessitate purchasing a new assembly. In the meantime, for $6 and 20 minutes of work every 6 months, I can benefit from top wiper performance, without having to be worried about streaking caused by blade deterioration.

Michael

Last edited by PanEuropean; 09-01-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Vehicles
      '67 Ford Mustang Conv.
      11-23-2005 06:35 AM #9
      Micheal,

we have had people here in europe too, that replaced the blade only. The problem we experienced was the quality of the blades and how long they lasted. If you experience any problems or the opposite, please let me/us know.

10. 11-23-2005 11:05 AM #10
      I did replace the wiper blades in the same fashion for the Phaeton and they work very well. I posted the similar method on the UK touareg (mytouareg web site). The blades are equally as good.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      11-23-2005 02:47 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Theresias »
      The problem we experienced was the quality of the blades and how long they lasted.

Hi Sebastian:

My guess is that the aftermarket replacement blade will not provide the same longevity as the OEM blade, simply because of the price point of the replacement blade. However, in my case, my objective is to have a new set of blades every 6 months, without having to pay $60 each time, so, blade longevity is not a concern. As long as the aftermarket blade performs as well as the OEM blade during the first 6 months, I'm happy.

I have not used the wipers much since I replaced the blades, but on the two occasions that I did use them, they worked very well - no more 'lingering film' type residue after the blade passes across the windshield.

Michael

12. 11-29-2005 09:47 AM #12
      Are wiper blades supposed to be replaced every 10K miles under warranty? Is that on their check list of things to do? I thought it was. If so, I don't think my dealership did it because I just can't see how mine would be this noisy just after 4000 miles.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      11-29-2005 02:12 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by dcowan699 »
      Are wiper blades supposed to be replaced every 10K miles under warranty?

I don't know for sure, but I kind of suspect not, because they are a 'wear part', like a brake pad or a tire. Probably the warranty documentation in the first part of the owner manual would explain what is included and what is not.

Michael

14. 11-29-2005 02:25 PM #14
      Wiper blades are not covered by the warranty or the maintenance program. As far as I know, only BMW and Audi cover wear and tear items as part of their maintenance agreements and I would not be surprised to see those types of items dropped in the future.

~PC

15. 11-29-2005 02:25 PM #15
      Michael, another "thank you" for posting this, these tutorials are of enormous value. I printed out your "flat tire change" instructions (in color no less) and keep it in the trunk. Now I'll have to change my wipers as well..

Vehicles
      2004 Silver Phaeton (traded for a 2006) 2006 Black Phaeton
      12-07-2005 06:18 PM #16
      After driving in the snow today I decided that I needed new blades. I ordered from the dealer at $30.00 each but then came accross this ad on ebay. Seems to be a great deal. Anybody ever try these out. for $18.95 seems like a bargin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V

Modified by Kcmover at 3:21 PM 12-7-2005

Modified by Kcmover at 3:22 PM 12-7-2005

Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      12-07-2005 07:05 PM #17
      That's $24.00 including shipping. Still, not too shabby.

Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      12-07-2005 08:22 PM #18
      Kind of buggy that the photo used on the ebay listing looks nothing like the ohotos of the actual part. Let us know what they send you. One down, nine left.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      12-07-2005 08:58 PM #19
      I hope this works for you but the way the wipers blades fit onto the wiper arm on the Phaeton is quite specialized. I've never seen another fitment like it. I would be surprised if these standard looking blades would work.

If the cross section of the rubber insert is the same (see Michael's picture above), you could remove it from the replacement blade and insert it into the VW blade as Michael describes. I've followed his directions and the only thing I disagree with is that it takes 5 minutes each blade, not 10.

20. 12-07-2005 10:02 PM #20
      One more advantage of living in the desert, Only about 6 inches of rain per year and I can miss most of that in the garage. So wiper blades last for years if you maintain then a bit.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      12-07-2005 11:44 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by GripperDon »
      So wiper blades last for years if you maintain then a bit.

Hi Don:

They might appear to last for years, in the sense that there is no noticeable wear on the blades, but my guess is that blade performance - being able to provide a clean wipe with no residual streaking or momentary haze - falls off just as quick in Arizona as it does in areas of the world that get seasonal monsoon rains.

I flew out of a base in the Sahara desert for a while - we never used the wipers, but still replaced the blades every 6 months. When aircraft are parked in the desert areas of the American Southwest, the wiper blades are replaced before the engines are started to ferry them out again. The primary cause of blade degradation in each case is exposure to ozone, industrial pollution, and UV radiation. This is why most manufacturers ship vehicles from the factory with the 'real' wiper blades sealed up in the trunk, and a pair of tiny little temporary blades installed on the wiper arms.

Michael

Vehicles
      12-23-2005 04:12 PM #22
      New Blades finally came in to Barron and I picked them up today. While there I ordered the Winter Mats as my carpeted mats are taking a beating.

I installed the wipers at the dealership in about 30 seconds. Easiest wiper install on a car ever. The Service writer told me he give me help if needed and he watched and also was amazed how fast and easy the task was for a complicated car.

Next time I just might try it Michael's DIY way.

Modified by Kcmover at 1:13 PM 12-23-2005

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      12-29-2005 12:14 AM #23
      Interesting to note that the Phaeton Owner Manual suggests that changing the wiper blades is an activity that the driver can do - there is no need to have the technician at the dealership do the work for you. Obviously, the manual suggests that you replace the whole wiper blade assembly, not just the rubber strip...

Thanks to Whealy for the scan below.

Phaeton Owner Manual - Instructions for Changing Wiper Blades

Last edited by PanEuropean; 09-01-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Vehicles
      12-30-2005 09:51 AM #24
      There is not much to the whole wiper blade assembly. Its basically the rubber with a attached mounting eylet for lack of a better word. I will have to try it Michael's way the next time as its very easy after you really look at the wiper design. For a complicated car this is the most basic item.

By the way if your old blades are making a lot of noise and not wiping very well, then you wouldn't beleive how nice a new set works. I've never been a big blade changer but new blades are the real deal.

25. 01-05-2006 01:56 PM #25
      Hey guys, I found this this thread looking for how to replace wiper blades on a '03 Passat. I had purchased Bosch Icons. They are identical to the OEM. Same aero design, everything except the attachment method. That made the pictoral posted here very helpful. Thanks much!

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      01-14-2006 12:11 AM #26
      Well - after spending a month or so driving around with my 'el-cheapo' replacement wiper blades (the process I described on the first page of this thread), I have come to the conclusion that perhaps it is not such a good idea after all to try to save a few bucks by replacing only the wiping edge.

I drove from Toronto to Detroit and back earlier this week (to visit the NAIAS). It was raining lightly for most of the trip, and I was having a lot of difficulty getting good, appropriate response from the rainsensor when I had the wipers set in the 'automatic' position. I tried cleaning the glass over the rainsensor with an alcohol wipe, and cleaning the blade itself with an alcohol wipe, but this only provided temporary relief - the system would then work fine for about 50 miles of driving, then get cranky again.

So - I ordered two complete replacement wiper blade assemblies from my VW dealer - total cost about USD $55. They arrived today, and I installed them (by this I mean I replaced the entire wiper thing on both sides). Wow - what a difference! First of all, no streaking or lingering film - the glass wiped crystal clear every time. Second, I drove 100 miles in rain today, and the rainsensor worked perfectly every time.

The only thing I can think of that could account for the difference is that the quality of the rubber on the OEM Volkswagen 'Made in Belgium' wiper blades is better than the quality of the rubber on the $6.95 Auto Zone replacement blade elements.

So - I now retract my suggestion to replace the blade elements as described above. I think it is overall more trouble-free to fork out the money to get the high-quality VW OEM replacement assemblies.

Michael

27. 03-09-2006 09:35 PM #27
      I've noticed that my drivers side wiper is etching the glass in an arc about 4" above the VIN plate. It looks like maybe the edge of the wiper blade where the rubber meets the metal. How do I stop this ASAP?
      Thanks
      Art

28. 03-09-2006 09:44 PM #28
      I also noticed a wiper problem today. Occasionaly the top of the drivers side wiper goes a little to far and hits the window frame. (the top left of the window).

29. 03-09-2006 10:05 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by blevinson »
      I also noticed a wiper problem today. Occasionaly the top of the drivers side wiper goes a little to far and hits the window frame. (the top left of the window).

I just looked in my service manual and it appears the only adjustment is to re-position the wiper arm.

Basically, you put the wipers into the 'change wipers' position, then park them, then measure between the middle of the wiper blade insert and the bottom of the windshield at the outside end of the blade. This measurement should be 5mm. If it's not, you re-position the wiper arm.

Truthfully, if your car is under warranty then I'd let the dealer handle it.

30. 03-09-2006 10:07 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by ArtWarshaw »
      I've noticed that my drivers side wiper is etching the glass in an arc about 4" above the VIN plate. It looks like maybe the edge of the wiper blade where the rubber meets the metal. How do I stop this ASAP?
      Thanks
      Art

Sounds like you need replacement blades to me ... they are not cheap but it is a very easy do-it-yourself task. It'll take you just a few minutes.

How to Replace Phaeton Wiper Blades

Edit: I just reviewed the wiper replacement post and you should note that you should probably skip the 'refill' part and just purchase replacement blade assemblies from your dealer.

Modified by pretendcto at 10:10 PM 3-9-2006

31. 03-09-2006 10:57 PM #31

You may want to consider the possibility that the right blade and the left blade are on the wrong sides. They attach in an identical fashion so getting them on the wrong side would be an easy mistake. I just placed new blades on my car 3 weeks ago and if I'm not mistaken, I think I recall one was longer than the other (can't remember which). If that is true, then I could see this as being a potential solution to your problem. These blades are so well designed that I just can't see any other way this could be happening. I've been wrong many times in the past but check this out ....it would be such an easy fix.
      Just a thought.

Vehicles
      '14 Toyota Prius Five + ATP
      03-10-2006 09:39 AM #32

The driver's blade is longer than the passenger one. However, I have seen one instance just like yours where the nut holding the armature to the spindle worked itself loose & allowed the wiper greater range of motion than intended.

--Chris

33. 03-10-2006 11:31 AM #33
      y driver's wiper was hiting the trim on the side of the window-fixed at the dealer with the last service.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      03-11-2006 03:16 AM #34
      Quote, originally posted by pretendcto »
      ...measure between the middle of the wiper blade insert and the bottom of the windshield at the outside end of the blade. This measurement should be 5mm...

5 mm on the DRIVER side, but 20 mm on the passengers side.

Michael

From the VW Repair manual

Last edited by PanEuropean; 09-01-2012 at 06:43 PM.

35. 03-11-2006 08:45 AM #35
      Quote, originally posted by PanEuropean »
      5 mm on the DRIVER side, but 20 mm on the passengers side.

Looks like we've found a discrepancy in the factory service manual. I found your reference under 'Windshield wiper blades, check park position, adjust if necessary' however, I looked at a different section titled 'Wiper blade park position, setting'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast