Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: RWD bellhousing for TDI engine?

1. 03-02-2005 08:58 PM #1
      Has there ever been a rear wheel drive vehicle powered by a TDI engine? Or does any aftermarket company make a RWD bellhousing?

Thanks.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q3 2.0T quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      03-03-2005 06:12 AM #2
      There are many AWD Audis which use a longitudinally mounted TDI engine.

3. 03-03-2005 12:13 PM #3

4. 03-04-2005 10:11 PM #4
      I'd like to put a VW engine in a fiberglass replica 1932 Ford, and since a FWD '32 Ford is just wrong, I've been looking for almost three years for just those sort of parts.

No go from VW or commercial builders that I am aware of.

Asked on another board what VW group might have in Europe that we don't get to see here in the US, no help there either.

Kennedy gets mentioned often, and while they make quite a line of adapters to hook all sorts of different motors to the classic air cooled VW transaxle, as far as I can see they don't catalog anything to go the other way, i.e. Volkswagen engine to non-VW RWD trans.

Looked at the Audi transaxles two years ago at the Detroit Auto Show. They would be good if your looking for 4WD or AWD, but there is way too much extra stuff to carry around for get a rear drive. The Audi trans integrates the trans, front differential, front ring and pinion, and second differential to power up the rear drive in the one case. The thing is huge!

I guess you could use a Quantum or Fox trans if you wanted RWD with a mid-engine, but front engine and rear wheel drive there is nothing.

So I gave up looking and changed to doing. Working in my garage for the last couple of months (between the honey do projects that is) on my own adapter to hook a VW four cylinder (from a Rabbit, Golf, Jetta, New Bettle, etc) to a Borg Warner T5 from a RWD Chevy S-10. An adapter and other stuff, like a working starter. I'm about half way there... I think.

If I ever get it figured out, I'll was thinking of selling parts or plans to those who want one of their own.

Piper106

5. 03-05-2005 09:22 AM #5
      Since all VW four cylinder "water" cooled engines, diesel or gas, since the 1975 Rabbit share the same bolt pattern on the trans end, and since wirehound also started the same thread in the hybrid and swap area of vortex, I would suggest we continue this thread over there.

Piper106

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '72 GT6, '73 1800ES, '64 Mini
      03-09-2005 10:06 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Piper106 »
      So I gave up looking and changed to doing. Working in my garage for the last couple of months (between the honey do projects that is) on my own adapter to hook a VW four cylinder (from a Rabbit, Golf, Jetta, New Bettle, etc) to a Borg Warner T5 from a RWD Chevy S-10. An adapter and other stuff, like a working starter. I'm about half way there... I think.

Interesting idea... how is the following working out?

1. Input shaft of the T-5 and the output bearing of the TDI?
      2. Did you find a T-5 clutch disc that will work with a TDI pressure plate and throw-out bearing?
      3. Clutch actuation?

On a somewhat related side note, I've heard of an Australian company that makes a bellhousing to fit a T-5 onto a Volvo B18/20 engine (used in old late 60's/early 70's Volvo 1800's). Might be worth looking into. If they offer a bell housign for such an obscure car, they might will to try one for a more common engine...

Vehicles
      03 a4 1.8t avant
      03-09-2005 03:48 PM #7
      There was a company who made adaptors for TD/TDi's to mate to the tranny from a suzuki sidekick. IIRC, they are no longer in that business. I emailed them a while back about getting an adaptor to bolt up a RWD tranny for a super 7 kit I was thinking of doing. If I can remember the company, I'll let you know.

8. 03-11-2005 11:16 PM #8
      Ian F

1. Input shaft of the T-5 and the output bearing of the TDI?

Note that I am not using the common transverse (Golf/Jetta) style flywheel, but the longitudinal (Dasher/Quantum/Fox) style flywheel. Second, T-5s come with a least two different size input shaft pilot bearing 'nose' diameters, but the standard Quantum pilot bearing should fit the T5s that have a 15 mm pilot.

2. Did you find a T-5 clutch disc that will work with a TDI pressure plate and throw-out bearing?

Ah, that is where I am hung up at the moment. I know that there are folks that could custom make a disc with nearly any input shaft hub x OD. There are also folks that could make a custom flywheel that would take a standard clutch disc, but before I go either of those ways I'm trying to find a factory stock disc that I can buy at any NAPA store that will run on the Fox flywheel I have. I've at least one more lead to run down.

3. Clutch actuation?

Might be able to use the standard throwout lever and bearing from the S-10 bell housing, but if not, I was thinking of going with a hydraulic throwout. I assume that I could use one of the ones from a late model S-10 or Camaro.

As far as other bell housings, we have more or less this same thread going over at the hybrid /swap area of vortex, and we were tipped about a German company that puts the Audi 1.8T engine (as I said in earlier reply above, same trans end bolt pattern as the TDI) in like a Lotus 7 replica (this being a really light front engine RWD sport car). There are some pictures of the car that look interesting, but its all in German, and I don't have the foriegn language skills to work through the site. If I could figure my way through the site, I think that bell housing and trans set up just might do it, and save me some time in the garage.

Piper106

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '72 GT6, '73 1800ES, '64 Mini
      03-16-2005 03:47 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Piper106 »
      but its all in German, and I don't have the foriegn language skills to work through the site. If I could figure my way through the site,

http://www.babblefish.com/babblefish/

Good luck! I'd like to see it done!

Vehicles
      92 Jetta, 07 Honda Fit
      03-18-2005 02:58 AM #10
      i don't think anyone brought this up, but, look into a porsche 924/944/968.. they used an audi rear end, it was a transaxle setup, and since that one dude said all VW's since 75 used the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing side, and the original 924 used a VW motor, the bell housing on that motor is probally what you are looking for.. it was used on the VW LT Van too..
      TV and Beer! What could be better?
      http://weregonnahaveatvparty.blogspot.com/

11. 03-19-2005 09:28 AM #11
      I should have qualified my statement about all VW fours since 1975 having the same bell housing bolt pattern. The 2.0L Audi/VW four used in the early 1970s in the Audi 100LS, the LT van, and the Porsche 924 is the one exception to the interchangeablity. As far as I know that engine shares nothing with the line of four cylinder VW engines that started with the A1 chassis cars and still continues today in the 2.0, 1.8T and the TDI. Totally different bolt pattern for the 924 engine on the trans end from what we are looking for, again, as far as I know.

As far as getting around the HKT webpage (Lotus 7 RWD kit car with Audi 1.8T engine option), Babblefish is a help, but about half the words remain untranslated, so even after Babblefish, it is still sort of Germlish (hey if we can have a movie titled Spanglish, we can have Germlish). I going to see if they have a US, UK or Australian distributor and see if I can come into the data from that direction.

Piper106

Vehicles
      92 Jetta, 07 Honda Fit
      03-25-2005 12:45 AM #12
      hey piper106..

so basically you can say that all engines from 1981 till now have the same bolt pattern? and if so, does this mean all you need is the engine, and it will bolt to any bellhousing, and the attached transmission?

TV and Beer! What could be better?
      http://weregonnahaveatvparty.blogspot.com/

13. 03-25-2005 09:08 AM #13
      mrjoshm

Don't know where you are going with this, but based on what I think I know, all VW 4 cylinder engines (with the exception of the Porshe 924, LT van engine, etc in my previous post) have the same transmission end bolt pattern. All the VW transmissions that came behind VW 4 cylinders would have the same clutch end bolt pattern (020, 02A, 02J, the Dasher / Quantum / Fox longitudinal trans, etc).

Note 1. The motor mounts are different on the fours that came in the A4 cars compared to the earlier engines, and you have to make special mounts to put an A4 engine in say a Rabbit.

Note 2. The VR6 and the Quantum/Audi 5000 inline 5 engines have a different bolt pattern on the transmission end and will not bolt to a 4 cylinder trans nor will those trannies bolt to a 4 cylinder engine. I think there are some trannie with a dual bolt pattern that will bolt to either the 4 or a VR6, but these dual bolt pattern trans are not common.

That is all I think I know.

Piper106

14. 03-29-2005 07:53 AM #14
      vw made a rear wheel truck offered in europe and s. africa. The body was basicaly a Toyota(90's) body and frame. I have no idea what motor was used. I am sure the engine was an inline 4.

15. 03-29-2005 07:34 PM #15
      I know there are some companies make adapter kits to drop the old 1.6 and 1.9 IDI motors into Suzuki samauirs(sp) and they are longitudly mounted.

Quick search http://www.rocky-road.com/diesel.html
      Might be a starting point