Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City!

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '03 GTI
      04-27-2012 08:34 AM #316
      I'll be coming here when I move back to Nor Cal! Great to know there's a mod friendly dealer around!

Vehicles
      09 GLI & 00 Passat V6 & 12 Beetle Turbo
      11-28-2012 02:29 PM #317
      Got my 30k service done on my GLI at Boardwalk VW a few months ago. The service went OK, no complaints there.

BUT, I decided to check my oil last night, and noticed it was waaaaay overfilled (about half an inch past max on the dipstick).

I've put about 4k miles on the car, so this whole time I've been driving around with all that excess oil!

I cracked the drain plug open and drained out about 1 quart of oil to get it back to just below the FULL mark on the dipstick.

I don't know where the tech got trained to do oil changes, but clearly he was pretty sloppy with mine. Oh, and the drain plug was over torqued as well. I had to use a breaker bar to loosen it

This is why I do oil changes myself.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '95 GTI VR6, '05 GTI 1.8, '13 Golf R, '15 Golf GTI AutoBahn
      12-27-2012 02:55 AM #318
      I'm finally back in a Volkswagen again!!! Yay Bought my 1st VW at Boardwalk and was great! Will be there shortly to bring my car in for service for all the years to come!

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Audi S4 - Gray
      01-04-2013 03:17 AM #319
      Hi, so VWBoardwalk is mod friendly... How about installing the mod... I am looking to have HR Sport Springs installed on my 2010 CC. Would you do that?

Thanks

5. Junior Member
      03-16-2013 11:53 PM #320
      Reached the 3 month mark at 2k miles. I may need a checkup. Can we get a confirmation that Boardwalk is still mod friendly?

6. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      03-18-2013 02:46 PM #321
      Quote Originally Posted by srkerd View Post
      Hi, so VWBoardwalk is mod friendly... How about installing the mod... I am looking to have HR Sport Springs installed on my 2010 CC. Would you do that?

Thanks
      Sorry, I missed this. Can't install the mod, but we won't do the typical dealer BS and say your springs are causing check engine lights.

Quote Originally Posted by First View Post
      Reached the 3 month mark at 2k miles. I may need a checkup. Can we get a confirmation that Boardwalk is still mod friendly?
      We are.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      What I do in my free time. l My 2800CS
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

7. Member
      03-21-2013 10:31 PM #322
      Quote Originally Posted by paultlg View Post
      Got my 30k service done on my GLI at Boardwalk VW a few months ago. The service went OK, no complaints there.

BUT, I decided to check my oil last night, and noticed it was waaaaay overfilled (about half an inch past max on the dipstick).

I've put about 4k miles on the car, so this whole time I've been driving around with all that excess oil!

I cracked the drain plug open and drained out about 1 quart of oil to get it back to just below the FULL mark on the dipstick.

I don't know where the tech got trained to do oil changes, but clearly he was pretty sloppy with mine. Oh, and the drain plug was over torqued as well. I had to use a breaker bar to loosen it

This is why I do oil changes myself.
      the title of the thread is MOD FRIENDLY ! It isn't they filled my oil too much
      I hate cupholders

Vehicles
      09 GLI & 00 Passat V6 & 12 Beetle Turbo
      04-16-2013 09:03 PM #323
      Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
      the title of the thread is MOD FRIENDLY ! It isn't they filled my oil too much
      My intention was to give a heads up to anyone who MODS their car and wants to come here, because typically those who mod their car, CARE about it, and probably wouldn't want to take their car to a dealer that is sloppy when servicing it

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Audi S4 - Gray
      06-16-2013 03:53 AM #324
      I think this post is about advertising this dealer and its mod friendliness but it is about this dealer so I will post my experience too...

Couple weeks ago I took my CC to Boardwalk VW to have my AC checked and a possible misfire diagnosed.
      My complaints were
      1) On any day over 85deg F my AC takes a lot of time to cool down. Even if it does it is not cold. it is warm.
      2) When stopped at the lights the engine kind of stutters once in a while as if the engine cuts of for a split second.

for 1) I was told everything is ok since the AC passed the test. And the test is when the ambient temp is 75deg F turn the AC full blast measure the air coming out. If it is less then 50deg it is good.
      But in reality it is blowing warm or slightly cold if the ambient is 85deg or over. I can't see people living in hot placing being ok with this. And I have never had a car that couldn't handle temp. less then 110deg.

for 2) I was told they checked with vagcom and there was no misfire. End of story. But the problem is still there...

I was without my car for 2 days and at the end nothing was resolved. I would like to get other VW drivers and Representatives from VW Boardwalk's opinion.
      H&R Sport Springs with Stock Shocks, 18" R-Line Wheels, 10mm rear spacer
      CarID LEDs for external lights , All LED's inside, Phillips CristalVision Ultra.

10. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-16-2013 11:48 AM #325
      I'm out of the office today, but PM me your name, and I'll look into it with the service director and see what I can do for you.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall

11. 06-22-2013 05:44 AM #326
      Isn't that kind of stutter when idling usually caused by the AC system? Would not surprise me if your problems are connected.

Vehicles
      2010 BGP Jetta S
      06-24-2013 06:05 PM #327
      Quote Originally Posted by srkerd View Post
      I was without my car for 2 days and at the end nothing was resolved. I would like to get other VW drivers and Representatives from VW Boardwalk's opinion.
      I had a less than favorable experience as well. Since I'm slightly lazy, I'll just copy/paste the email I sent to the service manager when I was sent a survey request. (I felt a survey wasn't enough info to help)

Basically, I brought my car in with communication issues, and after a weekend with no car (and missing work to bring my car there), they told me I had communication issues, and gave me an illegible printout of error codes, which wasn't even complete. I did not receive the level of service implied in this post, or promised to me on the phone before I made the trip out to SF to drop off my car.

Here's my email detailing my experience:
      Hi Rick,

I didn't want to just give you a 'yes/no' automated response, as i feel this is a more detailed question deserving of a proper response.

I understand your service department is probably limited by protocol, but from the start I was under the impression that you guys worked around the edges more with modified vehicles.. this impression was founded on your VWVortex post about "mod-friendly service". Before traveling from Sacramento to have my car serviced at your dealership, I spoke at length on the phone with my service liason, Bob R. I went over exactly what aftermarket parts and modifications had been done to my car. I wanted to be certain there were no surprises.

After dropping off my car, and again discussing what had been done, I returned home with a rental vehicle. The next day, Bob called me and informed me that after three hours of work, they had been able to pull a list of error codes, but could proceed no further without a stock ECU. The tuner that worked on my car said that there is nothing that would prevent any diagnostics from being run, nor did they physically modify the ECU. I understand if protocol dictates that you can no longer proceed if the ECU is modified, but that's not exactly "mod-friendly" service, and if I had been told at any point that a list of error codes is the most work that would be done on my vehicle, I would have certainly declined service. I basically was told what I already knew - that there are major communication issues on my CAN bus. I found that out in my driveway.

What I was hoping for when I dropped off my car at your service department was that I could get a bit more detailed of an answer from a VW tech. You know, things like testing individual modules (all of which are still stock), or testing for faulty connections/bad wiring etc. What I got was a printout of error codes showing exactly what I told the techs initially. A summary of our interaction to this point would be something like: "My car is having major communication issues, could you look into it and hopefully give me more info about why?" "Sure".... "Oh here, its because your car is having communication issues". Do you see why this is frustrating to me?

On top of this, when I picked up my vehicle, only 3 of 17 pages of the Diagnostic Log were available for me. I paid for the service because it was a Sunday and the only person there was the cashier, and I needed my car. I did eventually get Bob to mail me the full report, but it's basically illegible. Your printer must be out of toner or something because the only parts I can read are the bold parts.. the rest is too faint. Like I said before, this is basically information I already knew, but it's definitely not an acceptable printout regardless.

I'm not at all satisfied with your service department's conclusion that the ECU has to be "brought back to stock". That's not mod friendly service, that's apathy and/or being restricted by protocol. A truly "mod-friendly" service department would have done everything they could AROUND the parts they couldn't work on to try and filter out other likely causes (instrument cluster, can gateway, bad wiring, etc.... so many other possibilities). When I was contacted, I even brought up this idea, and your tech said there was nothing more they could do because the ECU was "chipped".

I'm not sure what else I can say about this. It's just not a great situation to have to pay $200+ to confirm the reason you brought a car in for service. I literally told your service department the same thing that they told me after the diagnostic. I brought the car in for communication issues, and had to pay for you to tell me I had communication issues. Seems to me like the communication issues are also between you and your techs/liasons. They don't seem to know about your "mod-friendly" post. They seemed surprised when I mentioned it.

Overall, I'm really not at all pleased. I don't mind paying for diagnostic time, but I do mind paying for it when the answer I'm paying for is simply the reason I brought the car in.
      I waited a while before posting this to give the service manager a chance to reply to my concerns. It has now been about a month since I sent the email, so I'm reasonably sure I won't be getting even a simple response.

I'm not sure how pulling a list of error codes equates to three hours of work either.

Just want people to be aware of the limitations of this "mod friendly" service, which from my point of view and my experience, just seems to be a standard VW service dept.

EDIT:
      Also, just to be clear, I did not ask for my service to be covered by warranty, as I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be covered. I knew the expense was going to be out of pocket, I just didn't expect to encounter a $300 bill and a missed day of work and end up with absolutely no answers or even leads, especially after the numerous and detailed conversations I had regarding my vehicle before my appointment.

EDIT2:
      I should add that even though I was on-time (read:'early') for my appointment, I was told that my car wouldn't even be looked at that day because of some Lotuses. This was after my service liason recommended that I set up an appt for that day (a work day for me) because that was when his foreman was there. Not sure exactly how things work there but it definitely felt like I got bumped for some customers with fatter wallets.
      Last edited by driftme; 06-24-2013 at 06:32 PM.
      2010 BGP Jetta | my soundcloud - trance/progressive/etc | LatemodelRestoration.com

UM Tune | BSH intake | Votex exhaust | ECS light crank pulley | Koni orange and Neuspeed race | Misc visual

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JETTA SE CONV. & SUNROOF
      07-29-2013 03:36 PM #328
      Got a lot of love for VW Boardwalk, especially for the good man Tom Sutton. I just bought a B-E-A-UTIFUL brand new Jetta SE '13 from him. Can't be happier - especially considering the financing VW hooked me up with.

Now I just need to know ... I want to get my calipers painted red, and swap out my rims (16" for 16"). Rates @ VW Boardwalk? A auto paint shop in San Bruno quoted me at $400 for all 4, multiple coats.

Can you beat that?

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '95 GTI VR6, '05 GTI 1.8, '13 Golf R, '15 Golf GTI AutoBahn
      09-21-2013 01:13 AM #329
      Brought my 13' golf r to do a stainless steel brake line along with fluid flush and wasn't happy with the result. My brakes now feel soft and not stiff as it's suppose to be. Tech changes all 4 lines and then bleeds when it's suppose to be one at a time. Would like this taken care of ASAP.

-Alan

UPDATE AS OF TODAY: Brought the car back and they assessed the problem, had air in my brake lines and re-bled it. Happy camper now!

Thanks again Poh and Zaymar (dunno how to spell) for taking care of this for me.
      Last edited by djtofu; 09-21-2013 at 06:46 PM.

15. 11-04-2013 02:57 PM #330
      Is bwvw still mid friendly? How about stage2 friendly? I'm having DSG PROBLEMS

Sent from my fingerprint scanning iPhone
      Exterior: NEW WHEELS SOON; Megan Racing Coilovers; 6k HIDs; 3k HID fogs; Smoked turn signals; Smoked Tails
      Performance: APR Stage 2 CAI; APR Downpipe with resonator; APR stage 2+ tune; Snow Performance W/M stage 3
      INSTAGRAM: BUZZO2012

16. 12-29-2013 01:06 PM #331
      Do you guys have a 28point inspection appt open for this week?

17. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-29-2013 01:26 PM #332
      Quote Originally Posted by nasty50 View Post
      Do you guys have a 28point inspection appt open for this week?
      I'd check for you, but I'm off this weekend. Call 650-568-5270 and they'll be able to help you.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall

Vehicles
      2010 BGP Jetta S
      08-28-2014 03:11 PM #333
      so... finally resolution to my car trouble. NO THANKS to boardwalk vw.

The problem was just some wires that had been rubbed bare on my main wiring harness. Local shop fixed the harness, adjusted things so they don't rub, did a computer adaptation, and changed my fluids for $500.
      Boardwalk cost me almost $500 and was only able to tell me that i had tons of errors. The solution was "bring it back to stock", which would NOT have fixed my problem at all!

After over a year of my car being broken, banging my head against the wall, paying Boardwalk to do NOTHING to fix my problem... it's finally fixed in less than 24 hours after bringing it to a local shop.

Boardwalk VW Service department is just like every other dealer service department unfortunately. Crooks.
      2010 BGP Jetta | my soundcloud - trance/progressive/etc | LatemodelRestoration.com

UM Tune | BSH intake | Votex exhaust | ECS light crank pulley | Koni orange and Neuspeed race | Misc visual

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910