Let's get back on topic then.
You may recall that last year, on page 3 of this thread, I had decided to remove the mesh and try to glue back the ferrule to the tube using some epoxy putty (cf. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post67281830 )
This lasted until last May, when the putty broke (there was apparently too much extending force exerted on the ferrule when the boot would open).
So, I first tried to put more putty giving it a couple more millimeters so as to relieve the tension a bit, but this cracked again...
As a last resort, I decided to use the putty that had cured on the tube as a way to grasp the tube with a thin steel wire, then caught the ball by its ears and drove back the wire up to the tube and wrapped it around.
The wire goes around the ears of the ball and cannot escape thanks to the two lugs of the half plastic tube that normally hold the ball.
I hope my explanations are understandable. Here are two photos to illustrate them.
The wire makes it impossible for the tube to be separated from the ball anymore.
I did not put these photos on this thread because I wanted to see how this new contraption would hold.
Well, we are now in August and the boot has been opened and closed many times now. Nothing has moved, so I am going to wrap some black fabric sticky tape around it and hope for the best.
Hope this helped more than the previous conversation