Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Fault Code P1296 2002 Jetta GL

1. 03-17-2005 08:22 PM #1
      The MIL came on and I stopped into Autozone where they gave me P1296 -multi faults Bank 2 with low side shorts. When I look at P1296 here on the Bently website it says cooling sytem malfunction. Why the difference and which is correct? Thanks in advance for any help. This is cross posted over on the Bently site as well.

2. 03-17-2005 08:47 PM #2
      search, there is information about P1296 on the tex. search archives, post bodies, etc.

3. 03-17-2005 09:10 PM #3
      I can't fully remember but i believe that this happened to one of our cars as well. I know that VW had an issue with faulty coolant sensors on the expansion tank. That was the problem with my sister's 03. The thermometer light would come on all the time regardless of the cars temp. You might want to check that out and don't forget about the free MAF replacement if your under 70K miles. That thing has been known to throw all kinds of codes. Good luck.

4. 03-17-2005 09:14 PM #4
      P1296
      Malfunction in cooling system
      - Check Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor
      - Check thermostat

This is what the Bentley CD says...it's been a in a couple threads! Hope this helps...

5. 03-17-2005 10:17 PM #5
      Thanks for the help. I looked at the archives and saw many posts saying the coolant temp sensor. I like $5 repairs.