VWVortex.com - Remove and install VDO gauges (volts, oil pressure, oil temperature).
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Remove and install VDO gauges (volts, oil pressure, oil temperature).

1. 03-25-2005 08:23 PM #1
      What is the procedure for removing and installing the 3 VDO gauges (volts, oil pressure, oil temperature) in a 1988 VW (Rabbit) Cabriolet Convertible. I have 3 replacement gauges, but am not sure how to get the old gauges out. The Bentley manual does not seem to have an answer.
      Thanks.

Vehicles
      2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 6speed, 82 ABA-swapped Caddy
      03-25-2005 10:22 PM #2
      remove the screws that retain the console to the floor/dash.
      slide it out and turn it to expose the rear of the gauges. Unfasten the six total thumbscrews, slide the three retainers off, unplug the lights and gauge plugs, push the out of their little home and viola! Your very own church console (holy, get it? )

3. 03-25-2005 11:04 PM #3
      I like your sense of humor! And thank you very much for the info. I looked in my Bentley service manual and couldn't find a word about it.

03-26-2005 06:54 PM #4
      theyre pretty easy to change or replace but while youre down there...make sure you clean the terminals real well...they seem to collect a lot of dust

5. 03-29-2005 09:14 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by theoldkid »
      What is the procedure for removing and installing the 3 VDO gauges (volts, oil pressure, oil temperature) in a 1988 VW (Rabbit) Cabriolet Convertible. I have 3 replacement gauges, but am not sure how to get the old gauges out. The Bentley manual does not seem to have an answer.
      Thanks.

Some advice: When you go to install the new gauges, push the wires through the holes and install the connectors onto the gauges. Then push the gauges into the holes and then install the mounting brackets. Also do not overtighten the mounting brackets. They push against the face of the gauge and can pop the entire glass face right off of the gauge. If you install the brackets before you put the connectors on, you can easily push too hard on the connectors and break the faces off of the gauges.
      Thomas

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 diesel Rabbit pickup; 2006 Jetta TDI
      01-12-2010 12:44 AM #6
      See this thread is a bit dated, but hope someone with knowledge of what I need will view.
      I have bought a Cabby cluster like the OP talks about; same gauges. Want to put it in my 81 diesel pickup console. Existing gauges are OK, but want to also hook these up. They add some 'class'.
      Need to know where to hook up wires that are not there in the pickup? Clock and voltage likely to be easy; but need connection points for the oil temperature gauge.
      Thanks

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      01-12-2010 01:49 AM #7
      There is a special can unit that goes on the side of the head.
      The Gold round thing in the fore ground.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      01-12-2010 02:52 AM #8
      Well Brian ... I've tracked it down as an oil temperature gauge; and it takes a sensor sender 049919563A. The 'gold round thing' you pasted is not what the sensor is; namely the threaded the with the pin top; like other tempertature sensors. Here's a picture.... http://www.joetlc.com/temperat...mtpi4
      I got a 1983 gasser schematic from a Russian site of all places, and it shows the gauge being connected to the sensor with a grn-blk wire; one wire (brn) to ground; and the blk. going to what appears to be a fuel cutoff solenoid....at least that's the way I read the schematic; and must admit I am lost with all that.
      Read other posts throughout the web with various locations for the sensor; in oil drain plug; on top of the oil filter can, etc. My diesel's filter can has no threaded area where it can be attached; and don't want to go down to the oil pan area.
      It looks like the diesel version, and perhaps the 1981 version, just did not have this item capability since I can't seem to find where the threaded sender would/could be.
      If you'd like to see the schematic I mention, can send it to you for review. Do you know if the late 70-early 80 diesel had such a unit ... and if so, where might it be? Wouldn't think would have to take a part out of engine compartment and have it drilled out and threaded....
      Chuck

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      01-12-2010 03:41 AM #9
      You should be able to take the filter flange on a later model and use it on yours.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet Best Seller '95 Ford Ranger XLT
      01-12-2010 06:50 AM #10
      You may also double-check the center of the filter flange to see if it has a plug in the threaded hole (not sure if it existed in the early years or not and you may already have checked this)... Since a previous owner had swapped my gas 1.8L in from a VW without the oil temp gauge, I didn't have the sensor, either, but did have a plug with an integrated hex-head. I simply had to unscrew the plug and replace it with the sensor I had purchased.
      My flying/aerial/scenic/transportation-related photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vfr_photography/
      Cabriolet photography from years past: http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...usa/?start=all

Vehicles
      91 Burgundy Etienne(2), 06 Jetta 2.5, 08 GTI 2.0T FSI
      01-12-2010 10:51 AM #11
      On a cabriolet, that sensor is dead on top of the flange that holds the oil filter. I circled it on this pic. Right behind it is the dashboard oil pressure switch.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01-12-2010 12:33 PM #12
      My bad luck but there is nothing on the filter flange that is for a sensor addition; without taking it off and having it threaded I presume.
      This is a diesel 1.6L engine.
      Here is an image from Brian that shows the 2 coolant sensors in the yellow circles. I've taken it and circled, with green, a sensor just above the coolant ones; all at the driver's end of the engine. The coolant ones are in the water jacket, and the one above that I circled looks like it is in the portion where oil is. I'm not a mechanic so don't know how to refer to it properly.
      2 questions .... could that be a sensor for oil? If not, what then?
      Thanks

Vehicles
      91 Burgundy Etienne(2), 06 Jetta 2.5, 08 GTI 2.0T FSI
      01-12-2010 02:28 PM #13
      Fair warning, I've never had a diesel...BUT...
      The sensor in the center looks like an oil pressure switch since
      its screwed into the head. Thats about where it is on a cabby too. Notice the oil leakage on it a bit.
      The one on the upper/right looks like an water temperature sensor, since its screwed into a water hose connection.
      Dunno what the one on the left/bottom is for, but its also in the water stream.
      If you unplug a sensor, the matching gauge in the dashboard should quit working. Can check which is which that way.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      01-12-2010 02:40 PM #14
      Yes, the 2 in the yellow circles are the coolant sensors. And JUST found an image in my Bentley identifying the one I circled, in green, as the oil pressure sensor.
      Last nite I read an archived VWCADDY discusison in which a fellow advised that while he was looking for the part number for the oil temperature sensor, that he came across a site offering it ... and the one for the pressure sensor was the same ... seemingly to indicate that it is a multiple sensor.
      Here is the link ...
      http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=2693
      ... and here's the individual post ...
      http://www.vwcaddy.com/showpos...unt=7
      What is your opinion then that, if this is correct, that I could just simply splice into the wiring for the pressure sensor and run another wire to the temperature gauge ... as this fellow seems to indicate as workable?
      Thanks

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      01-12-2010 06:06 PM #15
      The part circled in the green is part of the oil pressure warning system (DPOWS). Thinking it's the low pressure switch, but not 100% sure. Unless the pressure switch uses temperature to determine pressure, I'm not so sure this would work for you.
      As mentioned above, you should be able to simply swap to a later oil filter flange to get the threaded bosses for the sender to thread into.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      01-12-2010 06:39 PM #16
      Which ones would that be? I am not yet that familiar with the years, equipment, etc. Will then google.
      Incidentally pulled the unit out of my pickup, and the part number is 021919081C. Doing a google on that comes up with lots of Chinese hits, but did not come across any american, british or australian sellers. But more importantly, or worse, was also no details, descrilptions, etc. other than oil temperature sensor. Almost as if VW or Audi did not even use this thing.

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      01-12-2010 10:52 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by doonboggle »
      Incidentally pulled the unit out of my pickup, and the part number is 021919081C. Doing a google on that comes up with lots of Chinese hits, but did not come across any american, british or australian sellers. But more importantly, or worse, was also no details, descrilptions, etc. other than oil temperature sensor. Almost as if VW or Audi did not even use this thing.

Part #021919081C was dropped in 1980; it was replaced with part #056919081C (Cabriolets use part #056919081E). It is an oil pressure switch. Cabriolets use a dual gauge sender/pressure switch (part #035919561); therefore, whereas your Caddy uses one oil pressure switch, Cabriolets use two due to their warning system and console gauge.
      As for the oil filter flange with sensor/switch hole(s), it is part #053115417. The oil temperature gauge sender for the Cabriolets is part #049919563A. That oil filter flange is found on all Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles.
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      01-13-2010 08:48 AM #18
      Two definitions;
      SWITCH, simple on/off device, no in between at all when functioning properly.
      SENDER, variable resistance, never fully open or closed when functioning properly.
      ---
      Pressure ratings are marked right on oil pressure switches, I'd suggest not using any that are not marked, there are just too many available, it's too easy to get ones wrong for the application.
      The smaller of the two shown in this pic is the Oil Temperature SENDER, the larger with the black boot is the high pressure Oil Pressure SWITCH (N.O., 1.8 BAR) for the DOPWS, the part is actually white underneath the black boot.

---

The SWITCH shown in this pic is identical to the one shown in the pic directly above. Frankly, I'm surprised it's there, best I recall, all DOPWS high pressure switches go in the filter flange, I do admit it's been a long time since I've looked at this stuff on a diesel though.

---
      This pic shows a dual function Oil Temperature SENDER for the oil temp gauge combined with a low pressure SWITCH (N.C., 0.3 BAR) for the DOPWS.
      The SWITCH portion functions identical to brown, LOW pressure switches fitted to cars without pressure gauges.
      There is another version of this dual can available that combines the same temp SENDER with a high pressure switch (N.O., 1.8 BAR) for other applications, if your vehicle is one of those others, you get to go find one.

---

Here's my CABRIOLET SPECIFIC DOPWS write up...
      http://reflectionsandshadows.com/cabby/dopws.html
      Cabbys are weird, different than ALL other VWs in that the wire colors to the DOPWS SWITCHES are reversed, the write up refers to Cabby wire colors.
      Most all other functionality is the same excepting some Westmoreland era cars that use only a single, high pressure switch and no low pressure switch, also, turbo diesel A1s use a lower pressure rated high pressure switch, 1.4 BAR or 1.6 BAR, color BLACK, I forget which pressure rating, but they are sure lower than the 1.8 BAR switches gas and N.A. diesel engines use.

Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

19. Member
      Vehicles
      01-13-2010 01:48 PM #19
      1. Don't have the faintest what DOPWS means.
      2. The pressure rating on the pressure sensor in the 1981 rabbit 1.6L diesel ... at least the one in mine that I took out yesterday to see it's configuration ... does reflect rating of 0.15-0.45 bar (part #021919o81C).
      3. Reference to 1st image-of poor quality-the points addressed are not that visible and had not been able to pick out what it is supposed to display. Am now, from your comments, presuming it to be in the vicinity of the filter flange; which I've been able to locate other images elsewhere.
      But your comment about the location of the sensors caught my eye. I am not planning on using the mentioned high pressure SWITCH, but merely leaving the one mentioned in #2 above as it is. Thusly this hole will be used for the yet-to-be-ordered temp. sensor; and the remaining hole to be plugged off with the factory plug.
      4. Reference to 2nd image-the green circle is the switch outlined in #2 and #3 above. It is, as mentioned in #2, is only low pressure. You were "surprised" to see it there, but that's what VW designed for this version of engine.
      The other two (2) in the yellow circles are the coolant sensors for the dash temperature gauge.
      5. Reference to 3rd image-no comment other than if as you describe, I sure could use the part number or outlet source. It seems to be, based on your description, a mirror version of what I am trying to do by having the later rabbit version of oil filter flange. Do you have information to use to track one down?
      Thanks

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      01-14-2010 12:49 AM #20
      1. Don't have the faintest what DOPWS means.....

Testing it is pretty well explained......
      Quote, originally posted by tolusina »
      Here's my CABRIOLET SPECIFIC DOPWS write up...
      http://reflectionsandshadows.com/cabby/dopws.html .....

---
      .......rating of 0.15-0.45 bar

Call that a 0.3 BAR switch, center of it's range. Some are marked as yours is, some are marked 0.3 BAR ± 0.15 BAR, all are same same.
      These are N.C. (normally closed) low pressure switches, they function identically to the switch part of the dual sender Terminal WK. They are typically brown in color and mounted in the cylinder head.
      ---
      ....... Reference to 1st image-of poor quality-the points addressed are not that visible.....

If your car had those, that photo would be adequate for discussion purposes. The larger switch is a high pressure switch, N.O. (normally open), white in color for naturally aspirated A1s, rated 1.8 bar ± 0.2 BAR.
      The smaller SENDER in the 1st pic is used for the oil temp gauge, it is identical to the coolant temp senders yellow circled in the 2nd pic.
      ---
      .....Reference to 2nd image-the green circle is the switch outlined in #2 and #3 above. It is, as mentioned in #2, is only low pressure. You were "surprised" to see it there, but that's what VW designed for this version of engine......

Surpised because it's white. White switches are typically high pressure switches, low pressure switches are normally in that location.
      See the lube schematic below. Oil pressure is highest out of the pump just past the pressure relief valve, lowest at the ends of the cam.

---
      ......Reference to 3rd image-no comment other than if as you describe, I sure could use the part number or outlet source. It seems to be, based on your description, a mirror version of what I am trying to do by having the later rabbit version of oil filter flange. Do you have information to use to track one down?.....

I'm not sure what you are after here. I just re-read your 1st post in this thread, you don't list a pressure gauge at all, just temperature. That one may be even easier. There used to be a VDO oil temp sender that was also a dipstick, doesn't get much easier than that. It is a bit of a nuisance hassling with wires when checking oil level, but I think there was a handy plug.

Link2dipstickthingy

Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

21. 01-10-2014 02:51 PM #21
      i know this thread has been dead for awhile but I grabbed some of these out of the local pick n pull today, I just got the gauges and not the senders for now, was wondering if you can get these to work with an aba swap and if so what do i need to pick up, prefer to pick up new stuff but these gauges just look the part

22. Member
      08-02-2015 04:49 PM #22
      What size are the stock vdo gauges? 52 mm?

For advertising information click HERE