Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: GUIDE: How to remove the "foggy" look from those inner H1s

Vehicles
      2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 6speed, 82 ABA-swapped Caddy
      04-04-2005 11:03 PM #1
      Got new 7" lights, but the inners look kinda foggy? Cant polish it or clean it off? Here's what I did a couple of months ago, that made ALL the difference in the appearance, as well as operation, of the H1 highs.. A friend of mine asked how I did it, so I emailed him a "how-to".. Then I thought .oO(...WTF.. I should post this to the forum..)
      So here it is..
      Ok, cutting to the chase..
      Remove the grill, leaving the lights intact.. DOnt wanna take a chance in crumbling those old, brittle light retainers..
      First, I laid a towel down (I did this in the driveway) and laid the grill face-down.. Popped the rubber boots off and removed the H1 bulbs..
      Now, here's where patience is KEY!
      looking down into the bulb retainer/carrier, there are three small tabs that are slightly bent over, holding the cast aluminum retainer to the bulb housing, Note the clocking position., Mark it's alignment.
      Take a flat-tipped screwdriver and BARELY straighten the tabs out, JUST ENOUGH to clear the retainer. Take care and lift the retainer straight up, off the tabs. There is a rubber seal between the retainer and bulb housing..
      Clean the seal and retainer mating surfaces, as well as the bulb housing seal surface.
      This will now give you about a 1.5" diameter opening into the bulb housing..
      Take a clean, terrycloth rag and stuff as much a good bit of it inside the housing.. Now, if you have long fingers.. well, I dont, and the edge is quite sharp.. I took a pencil, and with the eraser-end, stuck it inside the housing. Use the pencil to maneuver the towel around the inside face of the lense. bunch some of the rag under the end, and really get at the edges, too.. You may have to repeat this process if they are really dirty inside, rotating clean rag sections in, while taking dirty rag sections out..
      USE NO moisture, like windex, etc.. It's just dust and will come out fine, and not have to wait for it to dry..
      Then here's where I used my finger.. With the lense portion clean (and yes, you should really be able to tell the difference), I pulled the towel out, got a clean one, wrapped it around my finger, and made a "hook" with my finger, and cleaned the reflector portion.. Be careful, as the opening edge is very sharp, and can/will cut you, especially in part two.. And let me tell you.. a cut in the webbing, between the fingers, SUCKS..!!
      pick it up and look through it, using the sky as background. Get and parts you may have missed on both the lense and reflector..
      Now lay it back on the towel, place the seal into position, then the retainer.. Not the clocking and align your marks. With a slighlty firm pressure, press the retainer to the housing, ensuring the seal is slightly compressed, and use the screwdriver to return the tabs to the "clamped" position, bending all three tabs. Slap the bulb back in, boot on and VIOLA! you are done!
      Now repeat the process for the other one! Total time, including removing the grill, was about an hour and two cigarettes. They should be nice and sparkly again, kinda like new! Now, reinstall the grill, don't forget to hook the lights back up and close the bonnet!
      Let me know how you do!
      Ricky

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      04-04-2005 11:46 PM #2
      That is all nice and well but the inside of the housing is a front faces mirror, and using paper can scratch it, causing a loss of brilliance and possibly ruining the reflector. Not using liquid is okay but a less envasive method that I hace been using for years is warm water, and efferdent denture tablets. They will clean the dirt of the lens and the reflector with no possibility of damage. To dry drain the water out, and Gently warm the light from under and over with a hair dryer being careful not to over heat and warp the housing. I ruined a pair of CIBIE conversion lenses in the 70's using your method, and I was using a opticle grade of cleaning cloth. At 65 bucks each for the replacement of the bad lense I found a better way, and haven't been dissapointed in years.
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Not that yours is bad, I just got burnt once.

Briano

Vehicles
      Q7 4.2 V8 , Smart 451 Turbo
      04-05-2005 12:52 AM #3
      Cheers mate! One more for the FAQ!
      Chip Tuning for a living @ www.microchips-tuning.com

Vehicles
      2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 6speed, 82 ABA-swapped Caddy
      04-05-2005 07:43 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by briano1234 »
      That is all nice and well but the inside of the housing is a front faces mirror, and using paper can scratch it, causing a loss of brilliance and possibly ruining the reflector.

I'm sorry, but I dont recall ever saying to use paper..??

Quote »
      Not using liquid is okay but a less envasive method that I hace been using for years is warm water, and efferdent denture tablets. They will clean the dirt of the lens and the reflector with no possibility of damage. To dry drain the water out, and Gently warm the light from under and over with a hair dryer being careful not to over heat and warp the housing. I ruined a pair of CIBIE conversion lenses in the 70's using your method, and I was using a opticle grade of cleaning cloth. At 65 bucks each for the replacement of the bad lense I found a better way, and haven't been dissapointed in years.
      Briano

Never thought of using Efferdent..

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet, 85 Cabriolet, 90 JettaGL
      04-05-2005 09:29 AM #5
      I use lens cleaner and lint free lens cloth for front surface mirrors.

Vehicles
      1981 Rabbit Pickup, 1990 Cabriolet, 1993 Corrado VR6 (up for sale)
      04-05-2005 05:14 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by qwikxr »

If it will clean BBQ sauce off of a pearl necklace, it'll certainly work for
      cleaning the lights
      VERY good guide
      I was going to ask about this over the weekend [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2nd 92/VWCabriolet Wolfsburg Green....AT
      12-28-2010 08:54 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by qwikxr View Post
      Quote, originally posted by briano1234 »
      That is all nice and well but the inside of the housing is a front faces mirror, and using paper can scratch it, causing a loss of brilliance and possibly ruining the reflector.

I'm sorry, but I dont recall ever saying to use paper..??

Quote »
      Not using liquid is okay but a less envasive method that I hace been using for years is warm water, and efferdent denture tablets. They will clean the dirt of the lens and the reflector with no possibility of damage. To dry drain the water out, and Gently warm the light from under and over with a hair dryer being careful not to over heat and warp the housing. I ruined a pair of CIBIE conversion lenses in the 70's using your method, and I was using a opticle grade of cleaning cloth. At 65 bucks each for the replacement of the bad lense I found a better way, and haven't been dissapointed in years.
      Briano

I am going to use the warm water treatment on the interheadlights and efferdent. I removed grill then saw the headlights which has a big rubber plug with wires stuck iinto it running inside headlight. Does the greenish rubber plug slip out easily and slide back over the wires. I read the headlights are delicate so I didn't want to pull or twist with out some help from the experts. Then the part where you bend the leads just enough to get into inside is still OK. How many pills in a headlight? How long should they soak? Then the hair dryer, reassemble? Owners manual says nothing about plug and being plug is old and the price you quoted for headlights...............

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      12-28-2010 02:58 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by SchatzieII View Post
      I am going to use the warm water treatment on the interheadlights and efferdent. I removed grill then saw the headlights which has a big rubber plug with wires stuck iinto it running inside headlight. Does the greenish rubber plug slip out easily and slide back over the wires. I read the headlights are delicate so I didn't want to pull or twist with out some help from the experts. Then the part where you bend the leads just enough to get into inside is still OK. How many pills in a headlight? How long should they soak? Then the hair dryer, reassemble? Owners manual says nothing about plug and being plug is old and the price you quoted for headlights...............
      Pull the rubber boot off.
      With a needle nose pliers remove the 2 connections to the lamp.
      Remove the retainer.
      Remove the bulb

Crush up 2 Efferdent tablets in to the hole
      Add near boiling water to the top
      Allow to work.

I didn't remove the bulb from the Grille.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12-31-2010 06:50 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      Pull the rubber boot off.
      With a needle nose pliers remove the 2 connections to the lamp.
      Remove the retainer.
      Remove the bulb

Crush up 2 Efferdent tablets in to the hole
      Add near boiling water to the top
      Allow to work.

I didn't remove the bulb from the Grille.
      Feel quilty. The Efferdent did all the work and Briano's brain. TNX's. Did do one more time with only one capsule just covering the base. South Florida Sun today dried the lens pretty fast. I did do hair dryer too. Took before & after pictures. Here is Before: The after photo unfortunately is sun now on the backside but it is perfectly clear and you can see the halogen which you could before. after; next upload

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12-31-2010 06:59 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by SchatzieII View Post
      Feel quilty. The Efferdent did all the work and Briano's brain. TNX's. Did do one more time with only one capsule just covering the base. South Florida Sun today dried the lens pretty fast. I did do hair dryer too. Took before & after pictures. Here is Before: The after photo unfortunately is sun now on the backside but it is perfectly clear and you can see the halogen which you could before. after; next upload
      Picture not the best. Doesn't show how clear it really is. Sun was now behind. Notice you can see Halogen bulb. It looks new to me. Cars are stacked against house now with this one pushed against hedge. Happy New Year to all.

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      12-31-2010 09:20 PM #11
      Rubbing alcohol is just as effective.

Before:
      After:
      (No, that's not a Cabriolet )
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

For advertising information click HERE