Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Can the ignition coil stop my car from starting?

1. 04-05-2005 11:43 PM #1
      My car is still sitting in the garage and I am getting so impatient.

The fuel pumps were replaced (both of them) and the gas lines are clear now. Thought that it was going to solve the problem...but of course it didn't.

There's spark, the fuel pumps & relays are working, it has a new gas filter. So now my question is this, can the ignition coil stop my car from starting?

As I had some down time from school, I thought I would mess with the car a while. So I tested the resistance and the secondary resistance is fine, but the primary resistance reads: 0.00 (should read between 0.52 to 0.76)!! What does this mean?

Any info would be appreciated.

I am thinking about getting out of the Cabby business and getting a Nissan or something.

-Erika

2. 04-06-2005 12:40 AM #2
      The coil can indeed prevent the car from starting....But you mentioned that you have spark...is the spark nice and bright, or just a weak spark? Unfortunatly I don't know the specifics of the resistance of the coil and can't help further...

Ps resist the temptation young Jedi,,,the dark side is always marked by the offer of an easy out

Vehicles
      Q7 4.2 V8 , Smart 451 Turbo
      04-06-2005 01:25 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by mgyver74 »

Ps resist the temptation young Jedi,,,the dark side is always marked by the offer of an easy out

I wouldn't say no to the dark side......

Erika, the car is digi or CIS? If its Digi, check that the injectors are pulsing by connecting a LED to the plug going to the injector harness. If the LED blinks the ECU is ok. If it stays lit your ECU is fried.
      If its CIS I am sorry but I cannot help you.

PS, still waiting for the paypal ID.....

Chip Tuning for a living @ www.microchips-tuning.com

4. 04-06-2005 01:28 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Black_cabbie »
      I wouldn't say no to the dark side......

If its CIS I am sorry but I cannot help you.

PS, still waiting for the paypal ID.....

It's CIS.

Paypal ID: kika.avina@gmail.com

Don't worry. I am not crossing over just yet. Although I am this close (imagine me holding up my fingers).

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      04-06-2005 02:30 AM #5
      Erika,

I've been wondering if you got it running yet, guess not, huh.

Your car has plenty fine spark, I remember checking it.

Have you pulled any injectors yet to see if they are spraying fuel? Be careful doing this, extreme fire hazard if your careless.
      Easiest to remove is the cold start valve. It should spray for a second or two while cranking with a cold engine, aim the nozzle into a bottle to catch the spray. If it sprays, the engine should act like it wants to start, and then change it's mind.

You can also pull any of the injectors, run the fuel pumps with a jumper, then lift the sensor plate to get the injector spraying. If no spray, your fuel distributor is likely clogged.

How long has the car been inoperative? If it's been several months or more, the fuel may have gone off. Smell it. Does it smell like gasoline or paint thinner? The paint thinner smell means real old gasoline, car won't run on it. You'll need to drain it completely. I like to use the fuel pumps to pump it out.

Have you checked your basic timing? Someone may have messed with it or even mixture settings when the pump quit attempting to get it running again, I've seen stranger things.

Keep us posted, there's plenty of help here.

Ron

vwvortex search is weak. Instead, type search terms site:http://forums.vwvortex.com into the google search box.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      04-06-2005 09:01 AM #6
      Erika, one thing that I can think of is the coil sense wire.

The fuel pump runs when the key is in on, right?

The coil sends a signal back to the fuel pump relay to tell it that the car is running and to keep sending fuel. This causes the fuel pump to shut off if the car is in an accident and the motor stops running so there is not as big of a fire risk. It is possible that the coil sense circuit is goofed up by that resistance issue.

A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

7. 04-06-2005 10:57 AM #7
      Erika,

Unless you have a "milli-ohm" meter you cannot accurately measure the coil. Your handheld meter is not sensitive enough.
      Have you tried jumping out the fuel pump relay and trying to start it?
      Thomas

8. 04-06-2005 06:26 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by Thomas_covenant »
      Erika,

Unless you have a "milli-ohm" meter you cannot accurately measure the coil. Your handheld meter is not sensitive enough.
      Have you tried jumping out the fuel pump relay and trying to start it?
      Thomas

I used a milli-ohm meter. Borrowed it from the mechanic shop down the street.

Yes, I ave tried jumping out the relay and still wouldn't start.

Ron,
      There is plenty of gas flow and pressure. The gas still smells like gas (it's only 3 1/2 months old.)

I am completely stumped. I think I am going to replace the ignition coil, replace the timing belt and check on the timing.

If that doesn't start it up, I quit.

9. 04-07-2005 04:28 PM #9
      if the primary read 0 with a milliamp meter then it is certainly shorted and the coil will not work or only give very weak spark. I think it's time for a new coil.
      Thomas

Palatine, IL. But I'll NEVER call Chicagoland home.
      Vehicles
      2013 TDI Sportwagen, 81 Rabbit Convertible, 92 Cabby (Daughter's), 98 SUV, 2011 Legacy
      04-07-2005 10:17 PM #10
      a question for the experts here... shouldn't the coil from her 92 work in her new (1989) car? Can't she just swap it for a quick test? I know that I'm using a coil from an 81 1.7L on my 89 1.8L engine and it works fine.

EXPERTS?

Erika, hang in there we've all been to the point where you are now (and probably will be again), feeling in over your head and getting really frustrated with a car that you love.

Modified by sehaare at 9:19 PM 4-7-2005

Modified by sehaare at 9:21 PM 4-7-2005

Modified by sehaare at 9:23 PM 4-7-2005

Modified by sehaare at 9:23 PM 4-7-2005

Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      04-08-2005 02:42 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by sehaare »
      a question for the experts here... shouldn't the coil from her 92 work in her new (1989) car? Can't she just swap it for a quick test? I know that I'm using a coil from an 81 1.7L on my 89 1.8L engine and it works fine.

EXPERTS?

Erika, hang in there we've all been to the point where you are now (and probably will be again), feeling in over your head and getting really frustrated with a car that you love.

A good idea that can work if the '92 isn't a California spec car. '92 California Digifant coils have an integral igniter, 49 state '92s and the '89 use a hall control unit to fire the coil.

Ron

vwvortex search is weak. Instead, type search terms site:http://forums.vwvortex.com into the google search box.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

12. 04-08-2005 03:52 PM #12
      I was looking for the coil in the 91....but since it is not in the same place as the 89, I gave up. (I am a little dingy like that )

I ordered one for less than $50 (bosch too)!

After problem solving, I still think that the problem is the external fuel pump. The fuel pump I purchased was from Autozone and it didn't look the same as the bosch. I had some trouble putting it on. I think I should go back and take a look at what I did.

I know that you Steve had put an Autozone fuel pump on your car, any suggestions?

-Erika

Palatine, IL. But I'll NEVER call Chicagoland home.
      Vehicles
      2013 TDI Sportwagen, 81 Rabbit Convertible, 92 Cabby (Daughter's), 98 SUV, 2011 Legacy
      04-08-2005 07:28 PM #13
      the set up on the 81 only uses one pump (no internal pump) so I don't know how applicable what I did would be for you. My pump was smaller than the original bosch one and the check valve was not removable like on the bosch. But it has worked fine now for about 3-4 years.
      Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon

14. 04-11-2005 04:20 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by sehaare »
      the set up on the 81 only uses one pump (no internal pump) so I don't know how applicable what I did would be for you. My pump was smaller than the original bosch one and the check valve was not removable like on the bosch. But it has worked fine now for about 3-4 years.

The smaller one without the removeable check valve is for the '85 and later cabbies. It's a wimpier pump because the '85 and later (and some '84) cabbies have the internal pump so they don't need the beefier external pump.
      Thomas