Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden VERY hard shifting; please help!

1. 04-07-2005 06:13 PM #1
      Hello.
      Just yesterday my transmission started acting very strange. Everything was fine, but suddenly every shift started to become extremely hard. In fact, the shifts (between any gears, but mostly 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th) are so hard that I feel the entire car jerk forward when they happen, almost as if something is trying to rip itself out from the bottom of the car. Also, I noticed that the upshifts are not happening at the same points as they used to (upshifts are happening later than they should, then finally when they do it's a really hard shift). This seems really dangerous. It also just started happening so suddenly, and now it's like that every time I drive. I tried doing the shifting myself with tiptronic, but the shifts are still really hard.
      ATF level is okay; the dealer replaced ATF last September.
      Sorry if I'm not being detailed enough; I tried reading the FAQ and some other posts but can't really understand what can cause this. If anyone has seen this problem or knows what might be happening, please help me. I'm afraid that the longer this goes on, the more chance it may permanently damage something. Also I'm not sure but I think it might be "heat" related, since it doesn't happen just when I start driving, but is definitely there by the time the engine temp is up to 190 degrees (the normal operating level)
      Also, my car does have a cold air intake. Not sure if that might have something to do with it. Thanks for reading.
      Edit: forgot to add, it's a Jetta '02 1.8T with 5-speed tiptronic

Modified by Golbug at 6:43 PM 4-7-2005

2. 04-08-2005 10:23 AM #2
      Im on your same boat. I have the same symptoms as your car. I was thinking it was time to change the ATF cause the way I drive, even though my cars at 30k but seeing as you did it and it still happens it leaves me wondering why this occurs.
      How many miles do you have on your tranny?
      The cai wont have anything to do with it.
      Thats like saying you upgraded your lungs and you have a broken femur... sorry bout the bad analogy i just got out of emt class

3. 04-08-2005 02:05 PM #3
      Sounds like a type of "trans limp mode". I have experienced this before when boosting a bit high but it was solved by restarting the car. It's only done it twice ever.
      Others have had this too but if it does not go away after shutting it off and restarting I would take it in ASAP.

Vehicles
      '02 Jetta GLS, reigning high mile champ 371,675k miles and counting
      04-08-2005 09:27 PM #4
      My bet is you have a bad MAF or one that is on the ragged edge of failure. The reason it shifts okay when cold is you are running open loop and the cold running program in the TCU is running things. Then when the trans is up to full temperature the MAF values are used to calculate torque values that adjust the shift pattern and firmness.
      Don

CANCER SUCKS but KAISER SUCKS MORE/But so far I kicked it's ASS

5. 04-11-2005 10:05 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by coolvdub »
      My bet is you have a bad MAF or one that is on the ragged edge of failure. The reason it shifts okay when cold is you are running open loop and the cold running program in the TCU is running things. Then when the trans is up to full temperature the MAF values are used to calculate torque values that adjust the shift pattern and firmness.

I recently cleaned it and I've never gotten a cell (knock on wood) so I dont think thats it.

6. 04-14-2005 11:06 PM #6
      upa

7. 04-14-2005 11:10 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by coolvdub »

hrmmmm...are you thinking what im thinking?????????????

8. 04-15-2005 07:58 AM #8
      Sure, but how?

Vehicles
      '02 Jetta GLS, reigning high mile champ 371,675k miles and counting
      04-15-2005 07:23 PM #9
      I wasn't but now you have me thinking. Oh well off to change the pan on mine since it's leaking.
      Don

CANCER SUCKS but KAISER SUCKS MORE/But so far I kicked it's ASS

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 GLI, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 1997 Jetta Sedan (RIP), 1995 Passat GLX, too many Air-cooleds (Beetles)
      04-18-2005 07:23 AM #10
      Admittedly "old school" thought here...how's the torque converter doing? Any chance that it may be causing the hard shift response? Secondly, are you still within Powetrain Warranty? If so, get a good dealership check-out for any codes that might be stored...even w/o CEL there may be something going on.

11. 04-24-2005 04:06 PM #11
      bump

12. 05-17-2005 11:08 PM #12

13. 05-19-2005 02:35 AM #13
      I have the exact same problem and I am here trying to look for an answer (just like you)
      I've took it to the dealer n times, they never found any problem with their computer. Last year, I called VoA and they swap a new tranny in ... and obviously it doesn't fix it. I am suspecting some kind of controller module has failed but there is nothing I can do as long as their computer found no error ... it is very annoying
      It's been happening on and off for more than a year. For mine, it just get worse during the summer and when the car is not totally warmed up. However, I did realize something strange. If I reverse park into my garage at night and pull forward only the next morning, the tranny won't jerk for that day As I said, it might be the controller and it doesn't like to be reverse when cold? I am still looking for an answer tho.

Modified by me93942001 at 7:41 AM 5-19-2005

Modified by me93942001 at 7:42 AM 5-19-2005

14. 05-24-2005 10:46 PM #14
      ima try to take my car in n see if i get a new tranny now lol

15. 06-11-2005 07:28 PM #15
      any solutions

16. 06-18-2005 12:00 AM #16
      well took it to vw and they said there werent any codes... what can i do?

17. 07-03-2005 06:57 PM #17
      Keep taking it in and tell them the exact same problem. It's funny that they trust the machine more than us. It's like we are the one who is lying and the machine is worth trusting. Did their computer drive our car or I put my foot down the pedal?
      Call VWoA, tell them the situation and everything.
      You can try the followings and see if it fixed the problem.
      In the past, every morning I have to to the followings (shifting):
      P -> R -> D (gas)
      Now, I do this:
      P -> R (a little gas) -> D (gas)
      The problem is gone, at least for that day.

18. 07-03-2005 11:00 PM #18
      a friend of mine help me work out a similar problem on mine, and it may or may not help, but here goes. he hooked it up to his vag-com and reset everything in the trans to factory. he was telling me solenoids and other things, i just shook my head at that point. anyway after he did it the shifting seemed to be a lot smoother
      this may not fix yours but it might be a good place to start if you know someone with a vag-com

19. 07-05-2005 09:54 PM #19
      yeah i need to find someone with a vagcom... i think ill take it back and say it again cause either way i have to take it for something else.

20. 07-06-2005 10:50 AM #20
      Mine shifted kinda rough, a lot better after an oil change...
      Would a transmission fluid change help? 65000km on the car right now... 1999 Jetta new body style.

21. 07-17-2005 10:09 PM #21
      im sure it would i still havent gotten around to doing it though but im sure changing the atf would help but i wanna done along with the filter

22. 08-15-2005 09:18 PM #22
      bump for anyone with any suggestions

23. 09-26-2005 09:06 PM #23
      well i got my car vag'ed and it was a shift selector locking solenoid... anyone have an idea on what that is lol

24. 10-18-2005 12:45 PM #24
      taking it in tomm to see what they can do about it.. ill keep you guys informed

25. 02-03-2010 01:44 AM #25
      Yes same problem here ,today I replaced the air filter and the next thing you know this happens but mine oonly does it from 4ht to 5th gear.And not all the time.Wouod it have to do with the air filter replacemant ,or maybe I touched something I should not have????how would the maf cause this???
      Thanx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast