Guess what? I installed the high-altitude pulley and all I can say is wahoo! It's like the first time all over again! The car really kicks you in the seat of the pants now. I can't get over how much difference less than a quarter inch makes!
I convinced Neuspeed to let me try it out to put to rest all the theories and hypotheses. I'm taking VAG-COM measurements on timing advance and knock sensing to see if I have any detonation that the ECU can't handle. So far, absolutely no pinging.
Let me say that this may not be for everyone. For one, it's been 30 degrees here and premium on the east coast is 93 octane minimum. When the weather gets warmer, I may run into "issues". But for now, I'm loving it!
(For those who want to know, the high-altitude pulley is 2.6" in diameter and the standard pulley is 2.8".)
For first-timers to this thread, the following topics are discussed:1. Smaller pulleys--2.6, 2.5, & 2.4 and the resulting boost.
2. The effects of heat and boost on timing retard.
3. Colder spark plugs.
4. Bigger injectors (and un-metered air to compensate for the additional fuel). (p. 6)
5. Neuspeed does a head P&P (p. 12)
6. Water injection to cool the charge and reduce detonation/timing retard. (p. 14 and 20)
7. Gauges--boost and a/f. (p. 22)
8. Rising Rate FPR. (p. 38)
9. Supercharger maintenance. (p. 38)
10. The effects of plain water vs. methanol based windshield washer fluid with water injection. (p. 40)
11. FAQs on page 42.
12. Using a 268/260 cam. (p. 52)
13. Idle adjustment for using cam. (p. 53).
14. Turn2 Lightened Crank Pulley. (p. 63)
15. Bill (JettaRed) Bends His Valves (Pulled Head). (p. 61)
16. Adjustable Timing Gear. (p. 67)
17. Joe gets serious about an Intercooler for the charger (link to Joe's thread). (p. 72)
18. Getting a strut bar to fit. (pp. 73-74)
19. 15 psi! (p. 75)
20. Denso Iridium IK-24 sparkplugs are NOT too cold. (p. 76)
21. JettaRed gets GTI Black . (p. 81)
22. The difference between OBDI and OBDII concerning fueling. (p. 99)
23. Supercharger 2nd oil change using GM Supercharger Oil. (p. 100)
24. Bill tries a grounding kit to improve performance and reduce misfires. (p. 106)
25. Will (MicrobiologyNerd) finally gets his intercooler in and earns bragging rights for the first air/air IC. (p. 107)
26. The Demise of JettaRed the Car. (p. 109)
27. Four-thousand Posts!!! (p. 115)
28. Smaller Supercharger Pulley Belts Part Numbers (p. 120)
29. 5250 posts! (p. 150)
30. 5595 posts and over 8 years old! (p. 160)
31. 5614 posts and a little over 9 years old! Where were you in 2001? (p. 161)
32. 5660 posts, 162 pages, over 11 years! (p. 162)