Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 640 of 640 FirstFirst ... 140540590630636637638639640
    Results 22,366 to 22,379 of 22379

Thread: Red Sox Only Thread --

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      02-24-2015 08:26 AM #22366
      I see the batters box rules as MLB finally stepping in to curb the OCD slide that so many of these guys start down.

When I watch Pedroia do that thing with his gloves between every single swing I'm reminded of how sad Nomar was near the end. Can't imagine what it took for him to turn off a light switch.

Some of these guys need genuine help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      "I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food."
      Ukemafia.com

2. Senior Member
      02-24-2015 09:15 AM #22367
      My wife said it was ridiculous watching the kittle kids. They would stand in the box with their hand out to the pitcher with an A-Rod-like "I'm not ready sign" while they dug into the dirt with their feet only to hit dribblers back to the pitcher 90% of the time.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      02-24-2015 09:28 AM #22368
      Quote Originally Posted by g60rabbit View Post
      Isnt it worse? Isnt it 60 plus million for a "no-timer"?

He is 19 cost 60 plus million probably won't play for 2 years and even at that point how many 21 year olds are major league players let alone all stars?
      It's a big number no doubt. Now turn it around. If Cashman got him for the reported $27 million, how would you frame it?

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      02-24-2015 11:05 AM #22369
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Well it's better than $25.8 million for a part-timer....

I wasn't aware of that clause. I would presume that wouldn't be allowed under the current agreement, but I guess not. Waiving arbitration takes some power away from the owners. OTOH, Cespedes was 26 when he signed with the A's and came straight into the majors. Perhaps the A's weren't concerned about keeping him in his 30's.

Moncada is only 19 and will spend this year in the minors so there really isn't a contract beyond the signing bonus. AFAIK, all players signed to minor league contracts get the same pay - about $2,000 a month. If he were called up his salary would then be prorated based on the $507,500 minimum.
      After DiceK, nothing the Red Sox do signing foreign players looks bad. They have tons of money to spend and the cash cow dries up and blows away if NESN ratings continue to tank and the suits & pink hats stop showing up at games. Like Yankees fans have always said, it's not my money. Spend all you want to put playoff-level talent on the field.

I'm kind of hoping ARod has a .300/100+/30+ year. He took steroids during the steroid era. BFD. The whole league was doing it. The whole NFL is still doing it where juice is no problem but OCD drugs without an Rx or smoking pot gets you a suspension.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      02-24-2015 01:35 PM #22370
      It's a big number no doubt. Now turn it around. If Cashman got him for the reported $27 million, how would you frame it?

I would frame it with honesty which is what I am doing now.

I would say the Yankees didnt get him for 30 million they got him for 60 million [atleast].

I would say that's a lot to pay for a 19 year old prospect who probably wont help you for 3-4 years and may never help you.

He is ranked the 10th best prospect in baseball.

Hughes, Joba, and Jesus Montero were all ranked in the top 3. Only one of them currently has a job right now and Jesus Montero makes the news more for eating ice cream sandwiches than he does hitting home runs.

I think Clay Bucholz was ranked in the top 3 and out of 88 major league pitchers he was 88th in era last year.

All those guys combine havent cost as much as this 19 year old kid and they have all done some pretty decent things at the ML level.

Its a big risk on a prospect

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      02-24-2015 03:36 PM #22371
      Quote Originally Posted by g60rabbit View Post
      I would frame it with honesty which is what I am doing now.

I would say the Yankees didnt get him for 30 million they got him for 60 million [atleast].

I would say that's a lot to pay for a 19 year old prospect who probably wont help you for 3-4 years and may never help you.

He is ranked the 10th best prospect in baseball.

Hughes, Joba, and Jesus Montero were all ranked in the top 3. Only one of them currently has a job right now and Jesus Montero makes the news more for eating ice cream sandwiches than he does hitting home runs.

I think Clay Bucholz was ranked in the top 3 and out of 88 major league pitchers he was 88th in era last year.

All those guys combine havent cost as much as this 19 year old kid and they have all done some pretty decent things at the ML level.

Its a big risk on a prospect
      Thank you. Ye$s it is a big risk on a prospect but that was the money it was going to take to get it done. He was going to be signed by someone for big money.

Every signing is a risk - even on the big name free agents. Look at Pujols, Fielder, A-Rod, Diaske, et al.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      02-24-2015 06:45 PM #22372
      In Yoan Moncada, Red Sox essentially paid for a No. 1 pick
      http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...AjJ/story.html
      Ukemafia.com

8. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      02-24-2015 07:09 PM #22373
      Thank you. Ye$s it is a big risk on a prospect but that was the money it was going to take to get it done. He was going to be signed by someone for big money.

Every signing is a risk - even on the big name free agents. Look at Pujols, Fielder, A-Rod, Diaske, et al.
      Signing FA is risky, but at least they have a proven track record.

This kid cost almost say James Shields money and can't even drink yet

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      02-24-2015 08:49 PM #22374
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      In Yoan Moncada, Red Sox essentially paid for a No. 1 pick
      http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...AjJ/story.html
      Bingo. Which is a savvy move for a big market club with deep pockets that never sniffs the first pick of the draft. This kid isnt 4 or 5 years out. He'll be playing in the majors next year. I don't think G60s been reading up on his projection. I want him to bust, of course... But I think it's far more likely the Yanks are going to really regret having this kid play in their division for their rival for the foreseeable future.
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      02-24-2015 09:22 PM #22375
      Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
      Bingo. Which is a savvy move for a big market club with deep pockets that never sniffs the first pick of the draft. This kid isnt 4 or 5 years out. He'll be playing in the majors next year. I don't think G60s been reading up on his projection. I want him to bust, of course... But I think it's far more likely the Yanks are going to really regret having this kid play in their division for their rival for the foreseeable future.
      As good as I think he is, I'd expect him to play through Portland this year, probably going to Pawtucket late in the year and starting 2016 in Pawtucket. If he's better than that? Well than no one will be complaining about the money.

On the money thing... it's not my money, and the Sox have plenty... might as well spend it. I've never been a person who slagged the Yankees for 'buying teams' ever. I'm the guy bitching about teams like the Marlins, Astros and such who never put the profits on the diamond.
      Ukemafia.com

11. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      02-25-2015 06:54 AM #22376
      Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
      I read projections on prospects all the time, and most are playing major league baseball at 20. Hell most never live up to the expectations.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      03-03-2015 08:17 AM #22377
      http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...39I/story.html

Projecting the Red Sox roster, version 1.0
      By Peter AbrahamGlobe Staff March 02, 2015

FORT MYERS, Fla. — With the first games of spring training coming up this week, now is a good time to project what the Red Sox roster will look like on April 6 for Opening Day.

Ben Cherington has said the Sox will keep 12 pitchers, so that is the model we’re going by.

Contracts matter for this exercise. The Red Sox will try to maintain control of as much talent as possible and the best way to accomplish that is by sending players to Triple A Pawtucket. Prospects with options often end up in the minors in April because the team wants to get a better look at a veteran or two.

It’s fun to wonder what the roster will look like. But it’s often a waste of time, too. The roster can and will change so often that it’s a good bet the team that goes to Philadelphia will not be the team that arrives at Fenway Park for the home opener on April 13.

That said, here’s our first guess:

LINEUP (9)

RF Mookie Betts (R)
      2B Dustin Pedroia (R)
      DH David Ortiz (L)
      LF Hanley Ramirez (R)
      3B Pablo Sandoval (S)
      1B Mike Napoli (R)
      CF Rusney Castillo (R)
      SS Xander Bogaerts (R)
      C Christian Vazquez (R)

Explanation: The guess here is that the Sox will trade Shane Victorino. They need Betts in the lineup because they need a leadoff hitter and that’s not something Victorino has done regularly since 2011. Beyond right field, the other positions are set. John Farrell has said center field is open, but the Sox would have a hard time explaining why they gave Castillo a $72.5 million contract and he wasn’t good enough to start. Castillo is 27, and he’s a long way from being a prospect who needs seasoning.

If Victorino looks good in spring training, especially hitting lefthanded, the Sox may want to stick with their surplus. But it would be poor roster construction not to have Betts on the team, as he is clearly one of their best players. The Sox put themselves in this box by obtaining one outfielder after another. Now they need to find a way out.

BENCH (4)

C Ryan Hanigan
      INF Brock Holt
      OF-1B Daniel Nava
      OF-1B Allen Craig

Explanation: If Victorino is not traded, this becomes awfully tricky. Nava, because he is a lefthanded hitter with defensive versatility, is valuable to this team. He also won’t complain about his role. The Sox could use Craig as depth at 1B and LF given the health concerns for Napoli and Ramirez. It will be a surprise if Ramirez plays more than 120 games given his history, so the Sox will need more than a replacement-level player on the roster.

ROTATION (5)

RHP Clay Buchholz
      RHP Rick Porcello
      LHP Wade Miley
      RHP Joe Kelly
      RHP Justin Masterson

Explanation: Unless the Sox trade for Cole Hamels or Cliff Lee, these are the five they’ll start the season with. No, there’s no ace. But this is a better group than they are given credit for.

BULLPEN (7)

RHP Koji Uehara
      RHP Junichi Tazawa
      LHP Craig Breslow
      RHP Edward Mujica
      RHP Alexi Ogando
      LHP Robbie Ross Jr.
      RHP Anthony Varvaro

Explanation: It wouldn’t be a bad idea to trade Mujica to open a spot for Brandon Workman, who has options. The pick for the second lefty at this point is the more experienced Ross instead of Tommy Layne. But it could well be the reverse. Don’t sleep on Varvaro, who was strong for Atlanta the last two seasons. Mitchell Boggs could work his way into this group but he has pitched only 27 games in the majors over the last two years. He may need time in Triple A.
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      03-03-2015 12:48 PM #22378
      Conspicuously absent:
      Jackie Bradley Jr. is one heck of a defensive center fielder. I wonder if he learned how to hit big league pitching over the winter?

Vehicles
      2013 Sepang Blue Audi S6, 2014 Scuba Blue Audi Q5
      03-05-2015 12:44 PM #22379
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Conspicuously absent:
      Jackie Bradley Jr. is one heck of a defensive center fielder. I wonder if he learned how to hit big league pitching over the winter?
      Not sure that'll ever happen, unfortunately. I LOVE watching him play CF.

Page 640 of 640 FirstFirst ... 140540590630636637638639640