Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 611 of 898 FirstFirst ... 111511561601607608609610611612613614615621661711 ... LastLast
    Results 15,251 to 15,275 of 22435

Thread: Red Sox Only Thread --

1. 11-10-2008 02:19 AM #15251
      Quote, originally posted by redsoxreturns »
      "salty" could prolly be had fairly cheaply too...the rangers have a surplus of catchers...

Yes, they do have a surplus however they also know they're the only ones with a surplus thus allowing them to set the bar to what they'll accept in return. It's just the opposite, they'll command more, not less.

Vehicles
      saloon/specialized
      11-10-2008 08:53 AM #15252
      Quote, originally posted by redsoxreturns »
      "salty" could prolly be had fairly cheaply too...the rangers have a surplus of catchers...

yeah he might have been had fairly cheap before he opened his mouth.

11-10-2008 04:32 PM #15253
      Quote, originally posted by yahoo »
      AP Sources: Tentative deal to send Holliday to A’s
      By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
      27 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintSACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP)—Star outfielder Matt Holliday appears headed to the Oakland Athletics.
      Two people familiar with the proposed deal said Monday the A’s and the Colorado Rockies have reached a tentative agreement. Both people spoke on condition of anonymity because the trade had not been finalized.
      It was unclear whom Colorado would get for the two-time All-Star. One of the people said reliever Huston Street, lefty starter Greg Smith and outfielder Carlos Gonzalez are among the players who had been discussed in recent days.
      Holliday, MVP of the 2007 NL championship series, is due to make $13.5 million next season and then will be eligible to become a free agent.
      Holliday was to have a physical Tuesday, one of the people said. The big-hitting left fielder unexpectedly dropped in on the general managers’ meetings last week in Dana Point, Calif.
      The tentative trade was earlier reported by SI.com and ESPN.com.
      “Talks are continuing. They’re very fluid and at this point, everything’s speculation,” Rockies spokesman Jay Alves said, speaking on behalf of general manager Dan O’Dowd.
      Oakland owner Lew Wolff, attending a regional luncheon of Associated Press Sports Editors, wouldn’t confirm or deny a trade but said he had already spoken with general manager Billy Beane three times on Monday.
      “Billy’s doing different things right now,” Wolff said.
      The A’s are known for making big trades, but lately they’ve been shedding stars and payroll. Gonzalez and Smith were among the six players Oakland acquired last offseason when it traded top pitcher Dan Haren to Arizona.
      The 28-year-old Holliday, playing half his games at Coors Field, has 128 homers and 483 RBIs in five big league seasons. His best year was 2007, when he won the NL batting title with a .340 average and had 36 homers and a league-best 137 RBIs in helping the Rockies reach the World Series. He was runner-up to Philadelphia shortstop Jimmy Rollins for NL MVP.
      Oakland was last in the majors leagues with a .242 batting average this season and last in the AL with 646 runs.
      The A’s used eight starters in left field and finished 75-86, their worst record since 1998.
      Street, a 25-year-old right-hander, lost his job as Oakland’s closer during season and finished 7-5 with a 3.73 ERA and 18 saves in 25 chances. He joins a bullpen that includes Manny Corpas and saw closer Brian Fuentes become a free agent.
      Smith, 24, went 7-16 with a 4.16 ERA in 32 starts during his first major league season. Gonzalez, 23, was also in his first big league season and hit .242 with four homers and 26 RBIs in 302 at-bats.
      AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum in New York and AP Sports Writer Arnie Stapleton in Denver contributed to this report

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      11-10-2008 04:34 PM #15254
      Quote »
      Saltalamacchia would love Red Sox trade
      Jarrod Saltalamacchia can't hide his excitement when he hears rumors of being traded to Boston. Nothing against Texas, he insists, where he's trying to wade through a catching maze with Gerald Laird and Taylor Teagarden after being acquired from the Braves at the trading deadline in 2007 in the Mark Teixeira deal. But the Red Sox are a team he has respected and enjoyed from afar. He grew up in West Palm Beach, Fla., and his favorite catcher - and idol, of sorts - was Jason Varitek. "That would be a dream come true," said Saltalamacchia, 23. "I'd love to go there and either work under Jason for a year or two or just go there and catch full-time. I just need to play," he said. "When I was traded from Atlanta to Texas, I thought I was going to play every day, but we have a lot of catchers here and our season didn't go the way we wanted it, so I found myself playing first base a little bit, catching a little bit, and so I never had any consistency behind the plate."
      Boston Globe

Career .261 hitter (OBP-327)
      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas.../players/7939/

5. 11-10-2008 10:32 PM #15255
      The Red Sox are interested in free agent Rocco Baldelli and are doing homework concerning his mitochondrial disease.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      11-10-2008 11:34 PM #15256
      Quote, originally posted by Sporin »
      Career .261 hitter (OBP-327)

yeah, but he's 23 years old and still generally considered a stud prospect.
      Quote, originally posted by -YZ- »
      The Red Sox are interested in free agent Rocco Baldelli and are doing homework concerning his mitochondrial disease.

baldelli would be a fantastic 4th outfielder if he's relatively healthy. huge speed off the bench [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      11-11-2008 07:57 AM #15257
      Quote, originally posted by GTiTOM »
      yeah, but he's 23 years old and still generally considered a stud prospect.

Agreed, he has huge upside. I think his average would rise with a regular starting slot. Hitting is too cyclical to be in and out of a lineup and expect consistency.

8. 11-11-2008 09:10 AM #15258
      I hope we can focus on pitching a bit more. There are a lot of free agents this year to choose from so we'll need to play defense before the Yanks open their checkbook.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-11-2008 09:57 AM #15259
      Quote, originally posted by -YZ- »
      I hope we can focus on pitching a bit more. There are a lot of free agents this year to choose from so we'll need to play defense before the Yanks open their checkbook.

I actually think Boston is pretty much set as far as the rotation goes. I'd like to see some much needed bullpen help though. A long relief and a solid set up guy. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Then look for a premium bat.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      11-11-2008 10:25 AM #15260
      Agreed, he has huge upside. I think his average would rise with a regular starting slot. Hitting is too cyclical to be in and out of a lineup and expect consistency.

I would be pretty content with a situation like signing tek for 2-3 years, letting him mentor salty for 2, and then easing into a backup/support role in his 3rd year.
      Quote, originally posted by Methalius »
      I actually think Boston is pretty much set as far as the rotation goes. I'd like to see some much needed bullpen help though. A long relief and a solid set up guy. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

i agree, but we could always use more pitching. but all the big names are pretty risky....burnett's an injury waiting to happen and CC could be a rich man's bartolo colon.
      also, looks like the holliday for street/smith/gonzalez deal is set pending physicals.

Modified by GTiTOM at 10:26 AM 11-11-2008

11-11-2008 10:47 AM #15261

how do you fit it in to the lineup though?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      11-11-2008 11:20 AM #15262

It could also drop once pitchers get a better book on him.
      In the end though its a guy I know I would want from what I hear about him.
      Big strong kid, very young.
      What would you give up to get him?

13. 11-11-2008 03:04 PM #15263

They are but middle relief needs some help. I agree though, Ortiz will struggle without a Bonds like figure in front of him.

14. 11-13-2008 07:48 PM #15264
      Sox are going to make a huge push for Texiera early in the offseason Free agency. After that I see them finding a way to move Lowell or Youk or someone so he can fit in. I just have this feeling about it. They could move Tex to short? He has good range and is really athletic. Power from the SS would be nice. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '13 R
      11-13-2008 08:15 PM #15265
      Quote, originally posted by 2004VdubJTI »
      Sox are going to make a huge push for Texiera early in the offseason Free agency. After that I see them finding a way to move Lowell or Youk or someone so he can fit in. I just have this feeling about it. They could move Tex to short? He has good range and is really athletic. Power from the SS would be nice. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I think Tex stays at 1st wherever he goes, lots of teams are looking for power at 1B. Unfortunately, I also think if he goes to the AL East it will be in pinstripes

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      11-13-2008 09:14 PM #15266
      Quote, originally posted by wagonowner »
      how do you fit it in to the lineup though?

In the gaping hill that Manny's bat left
      2 Youk -- 3 Ortiz -- 4 Big Bat -- 5 Lowell -- 6 Bay is a heck of a lineup [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Quote, originally posted by g60rabbit »
      What would you give up to get him?

Mid level pitching prospect. Think AA or early AAA with major league upside. Who that is, i don't know.
      Sox are going to make a huge push for Texiera early in the offseason Free agency.

I don't see it. Boras is going to demand 10/200M for him, and the sox aren't going to put up that kind of potential albatros contract. They don't even like 4 year deals. I see him staying with Anaheim or going to the Yankees.

17. 11-13-2008 09:48 PM #15267
      2 Youk -- 3 Ortiz -- 4 Big Bat -- 5 Lowell -- 6 Bay is a heck of a lineup [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Tex!
      Mid level pitching prospect. Think AA or early AAA with major league upside. Who that is, i don't know.
      I don't see it. Boras is going to demand 10/200M for him, and the sox aren't going to put up that kind of potential albatros contract. They don't even like 4 year deals. I see him staying with Anaheim or going to the Yankees.

Have you heard of Lars Anderson? I guess he is a guy to watch out far for power hitting. I believe he is only 21 and I heard he is a level A prospect. Bob Ryan and Dan S. were talking about him and saying he could be only one year away as long as things continue to go well. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      So Tom, who is that big hitter you speak of behind Ortiz?

18. 11-13-2008 09:51 PM #15268
      Quote, originally posted by pofe333 »
      I think Tex stays at 1st wherever he goes, lots of teams are looking for power at 1B. Unfortunately, I also think if he goes to the AL East it will be in pinstripes

Although I do agree that he will end up in the east, I am not too sure about the stripes. I think the Yanks are going to get Manny and then Sabathia. At that point, they will have three players totalling close to 80 million a year not counting Jeter, Mo or Posada........ I do not think he the Yankees will take on Tex at another 20 million.
      I think he would be the perfect guy behind Ortiz. I hope they find a way to get him here and figure everything out. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      11-13-2008 10:09 PM #15269
      So Tom, who is that big hitter you speak of behind Ortiz?

I'd love for it to be Tex, but realistically, i don't see the Sox giving that long of a contract that he'll be able to demand.
      Right now, they're looking like
      LF Bay
      CF Ellsbury
      RF Drew
      1B Youk
      2B Pedroia
      SS ??? Lowrie? Lugo?
      3B Lowell
      C ??? Tek? Salty?
      I don't really see them adding a big bat this year. Someone like baldelli, some bullpen help, and a catcher....then holding out next year for Holliday, depending on how he does in the AL away from CO.

20. 11-13-2008 10:53 PM #15270
      I'd love for it to be Tex, but realistically, i don't see the Sox giving that long of a contract that he'll be able to demand.
      Right now, they're looking like
      LF Bay
      CF Ellsbury
      RF Drew
      1B Youk
      2B Pedroia
      SS ??? Lowrie? Lugo?
      3B Lowell
      C ??? Tek? Salty?
      I don't really see them adding a big bat this year. Someone like baldelli, some bullpen help, and a catcher....then holding out next year for Holliday, depending on how he does in the AL away from CO.

To be honest, I think Youk can and will be a 40, 125 guy this year. With Manny out, he is going to be batting fourth all year long. Maybe between him, Lowell and Bay they can compensate. This team has the speed now, so waiting for the big HR is exactly needed. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      11-13-2008 11:35 PM #15271
      To be honest, I think Youk can and will be a 40, 125 guy this year. With Manny out, he is going to be batting fourth all year long. Maybe between him, Lowell and Bay they can compensate. This team has the speed now, so waiting for the big HR is exactly needed. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Agreed. 40/125 might be generous, but he proved he can hit this year. There's no Manny-Papi combo in that lineup, but it's solid and versatile from top to bottom.
      Ellsbury
      Pedroia
      Youk
      Papi
      Drew
      Lowell
      Bay
      C
      Lowrie
      They'll put some runs on the board with an order like that [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

11-14-2008 09:55 AM #15272

I was talking position.... With what you proposed theres no where for said bat to play the field.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      11-14-2008 10:03 AM #15273
      Quote, originally posted by wagonowner »
      I was talking position.... With what you proposed theres no where for said bat to play the field.

agreed.

Vehicles
      Ford Focus Titanium
      11-14-2008 10:17 AM #15274
      Agreed. 40/125 might be generous, but he proved he can hit this year. There's no Manny-Papi combo in that lineup, but it's solid and versatile from top to bottom.
      Ellsbury
      Pedroia
      Youk
      Papi
      Drew
      Lowell
      Bay
      C
      Lowrie
      They'll put some runs on the board with an order like that [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I agree. I keep hearing though that the Sox are looking at SS.....

25. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      11-14-2008 10:54 AM #15275
      I don't see it. Boras is going to demand 10/200M for him, and the sox aren't going to put up that kind of potential albatros contract.

Boras will demand 10/200 but he isn't going to get it IMO.
      They don't even like 4 year deals. I see him staying with Anaheim or going to the Yankees.

They have no problems handing out 4 year deals.
      DiceK 6 years
      Drew 5 years
      Lowell,Lugo,Renteria,Varitek,Ortiz- 4years

Tex to the Sox doesn't make a ton of sense especially for thos who say they might move Youk.
      Why would you pay a guy nearly 20 million dollars who is unproven in this market and then Move Youk who makes 3 million and is proven in this market and is a similar player.
      Again the Sox have a good core of young players who are going to want to be paid sooner then later.
      Paps will be watching closely as to what Krod gets and I can imagine if GG winning, Silver slugger award winning, possible MVP player, WS ring carring Pedrioa has a 20 million dollar player to his left.Kids going to want to get paid.

Modified by g60rabbit at 8:00 AM 11-14-2008

Page 611 of 898 FirstFirst ... 111511561601607608609610611612613614615621661711 ... LastLast