Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VW Vortex Guide to Photoshop...

1. 02-18-2004 04:25 PM #36
      Quote, originally posted by vdublover »
      I was wondering if anybody could post a tutorial on how to make a picture into a cartoon...

Nevermind, I found this tutorial: http://www.digimods.co.uk/tutorials/cartooning.htm

2. 02-23-2004 04:03 PM #37
      anyone know how to add a glow or blur like a taillight being on ? i want to make a car look like its tails are on and then streak it to make it look like time lapse photography of it driving...

3. 02-24-2004 03:52 PM #38
      IM me at:
      d3x502 on AIM, ill tell ya how..you can jsut use an adjustment layer, and then windblur the color...

ill tell ya how in IM (its easier)

d3x

4. 03-09-2004 07:01 PM #39
      how do i super impose something between something in the forground and the background?

5. 04-10-2004 09:49 PM #40
      This is an excellent thread. The first couple of guys really know how to use photoshop.

6. 04-30-2004 07:21 PM #41
      I'v tried to turn a silver car black using your tutorial and its not happening. I'm currently useing PS CS and It wont go black.

Do you have any tips?

7. 05-20-2004 05:04 PM #42
      here's an easy way to change an image to black and white
      -on the layers menu click the "create new fill or adjustment layer" button, it's a circle thats split black and white

-click on "Gradient Map" on the list

-change the gradient to the black and white gradient

easy and fast, can also be used with different colors and gradients for some cool effects

06-21-2004 04:37 AM #43
      Quote, originally posted by GTI0813 »
      here's an easy way to change an image to black and white
      -on the layers menu click the "create new fill or adjustment layer" button, it's a circle thats split black and white

-click on "Gradient Map" on the list

-change the gradient to the black and white gradient

easy and fast, can also be used with different colors and gradients for some cool effects

Or you could just do Image>Adjustments>Desaturate

But hey whatever tickles your pickle. 1 step or 3

9. 07-13-2004 02:04 AM #45
      for a nice, clean cartoon effect i use this method - (PS 7)

Duplicate layer
      On the new layer, go to Image>Adjustments>Desaturate
      on the same layer, go to Image>Adjustments>Levels
      in this section, take the 3 pointers and bring them to the point under the largest peak on the graph (adjust this to ur likeing)
      next, go to Filter>Artistic>Cutout
      in this section, increasing no. of levels + decreasing edge simplicity + increase fidelity = smoother effect

finally decrease the opacity of this layer to bring back the color.. if u want stronger colors try experimenting with the tools in the adjustments menu.. (hint: saturation) cant tell you everything and expect you to learn something

::edit::
      Some things to incorprate into the effect:

Image>Adjustments>Posterize -- smaller the number, the less range of color, the higher the number, the closer the image will be to where it currently is

Filters>Artistic>Poster edges

Filters>Stylize>Find Edges (almost the same effect as Poster Edges, but brings up more details)

Modified by BB23 at 2:15 AM 7-13-2004

Modified by BB23 at 4:38 PM 7-15-2004

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 1981 Caddy Diesel
      07-27-2004 02:32 PM #46
      How would I do a boeser hood in Photoshop? I've tried methosds myself, but doesnt look good at all as when others do it.

11. 07-27-2004 09:12 PM #47
      Here's something I've been messing around with. The picture is from someone on the Corrado Forum. The full size is 1600x1200, so i shrunk them down for this post.....

Original:

Photochopped:

Modified by lswartz at 2:27 AM 7-28-2004

12. 09-27-2004 05:29 PM #48
      i have an incredibly stupid question, but because i'm at work and not infront of the home computer with p-shop and every time i'm playing with it i always forget to look for it i'll ask here. is there a simple way to get a line tool, something basic like you'd find in m.s. paint?

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS, 2012 Routan SE
      09-27-2004 11:03 PM #49
      you can use any drawing tool and shift click (click once, hold shift, click again) and it will connect the dots, other wise you have to use the actual line tool, which may vary depending on which version of PS you have.

14. 09-29-2004 04:15 PM #50
      thank you, thank you, i'm using 7.01 by the way. thanks again!

15. 11-19-2004 02:05 PM #51
      Thank you, you could be my hero!

16. 12-01-2004 11:29 PM #52
      this helped soooooo much...this p-shop isnt a dub but i had some fun with it...i could still use some help though...so pointers would be good

Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      12-06-2004 08:57 PM #53
      Quote, originally posted by kenny301 »
      the car colored with the b&w background is easy. here are the steps

open the file you want to edit
      copy the image
      change the image to greyscale
      paste the original image in a new layer
      use the erase tool to get rid of all the color stuff you dont want. it will only erase the top color layer and the b&w layer will stay put.

ok i tried doing this and everytime i paste the original image in a new layer on top of the B&W original, the new copy turns b&w too. in short, i cant have b&w one layer and color the other layer. anybody know how to get around this? TIA.

Vehicles
      12-06-2004 09:28 PM #54
      thats because you are pasting a color image into a document with grayscale color space.. if you change it to grayscale and then BACK to rgb or color.. the image will still stay gray and you can paste the color image in without it changing.

Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      12-06-2004 09:57 PM #55
      thanx mate.... that helped alot. works perfect.

20. 12-12-2004 01:09 AM #56
      Im new to PS, so give me a break How can I shave off rub strips, handels etc... I dont know how to remove the mouldings, yet still have the body color replace the area and look natural. TIA!!!

Vehicles
      12-12-2004 01:32 AM #57
      rubber stamp tool.. look it up in the help.

Vehicles
      01-09-2005 05:55 PM #58
      this was written in 2002.. alot of this stuff is still very valid for CS or any later versions.

23. 01-19-2005 02:31 PM #59
      i gotta say i've been wondering about p-chop for a loooong time. actually, my grandfather uses it, and he's real big on digital photography and p-shop, and CAD design and stuff (not ur typical old guy lol), and i always wondered how to do all this. haha now i think i'm gonna spend all of midterm week f'in around w/ photoshop. thanks guys!

24. 01-21-2005 08:26 AM #60
      Thanks for the tips man, ill be saiving this thread forever!

25. 01-30-2005 03:30 PM #61
      Someone asked how you can make a picture complied of a bunch of other pictures (aka mosaic tiles).

Here is a great program that is FREE
      http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

It can make pictures based on a ton of different parameters.

Vehicles
      '89 Golf 2.0T, '13 WOB GTI, '13 TDI Jet
      01-31-2005 11:36 PM #62
      Quote, originally posted by achtungti »
      this helped soooooo much...this p-shop isnt a dub but i had some fun with it...i could still use some help though...so pointers would be good

Just make sure to clone the street, your street has a drop off at the front, just clone the street and move it up a bit. the bricks are a constant pattern so they wont look wierd chopped up.

Oh, and great thread by the way, i learned a few things myself, i'm still a bit new to photoshop, i have Photoshop Elements.

I just wish there was an easier way to change the color of a car.

Modified by Flipdriver80 at 11:56 PM 1-31-2005

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbaggg View Post
      is there anyway to get a new uni body?

like can yu take the uni body off

27. 02-08-2005 03:46 PM #63
      can I use Paint shop pro 9? have you used it? Can I get Photoshop for free anywhere?

28. 02-08-2005 08:06 PM #64
      You could use Paint Shop Pro to do some (if not all) of the things listed above, but there are different buttons and options that you have to use.

Photoshop is on the expensive side and there are no "free" (legal) copies out there. There is however an open-source alternative, its called GIMP.

I have not personally used GIMP, but I have heard some very good things about it. Its worth checking it out if you dont want to shell out a lot of money for photoshop.

Its available for Windows, Mac OSX, and even Unix.

http://www.gimp.org/

29. 03-06-2005 11:45 AM #65
      Coud you show me how to make one bumper( aftermarket ) from one car fit onto another car?

30. 03-24-2005 10:38 AM #66
      http://www.good-tutorials.com

http://www.deviantart.com

some really great sites if your into photoshop or art in general

[deviantart.com has one of the biggest communities for art on the web, so much stuff there, PM me if you need help]

31. Junior Member
      03-24-2005 08:12 PM #67
      Is there any good tips for the threshold feature?? i want to make a stencil outline.... just wondering if there is any pointers anyone can give me..

32. 03-29-2005 05:13 PM #68
      Something helpfull would be how to tint windows, as well as put a carbon fiber hood... Thanks

Modified by samurai75007 at 5:20 PM 3-29-2005

Vehicles
      03-30-2005 08:15 AM #69
      window tinting is pretty simple..

just make a new layer

trace a selection around all the windows, like you were going to change the color of them.

fill that on the new layer with black or whatever color you want to tint the windows

adjust the opacity slider of that layer to whatever percent you want.

Vehicles
      Audi 200 20v
      04-15-2005 01:26 AM #70
      I will attempt to explain Carbon Fibering, but I don't have any screen shots. I'm running Photoshop 7.

First, we need to create the carbon fiber texture. You only have to do this once...

1. Create a new image and make it 12px x 6px with 72px resolution and a transparent background.
      2. Zoom in 1600 percent.
      3. Using your rectangular selection tool, select the top left corner of the image.
      4. Using the gradient tool, create a gradient that goes from black to transparent, left to right.
      5. Fill the selected corner.
      6. Select the lower right hand corner.
      7. Fill the selected corner with the same gradient.
      8. Under the Edit menu (I think), select "define texture" and save the image as a texture.

Now you have the basic carbon fiber texture!

Next, we will put the carbon fiber on the car.

1. Open image that will recieve the carbon fiber.
      2. Select the region (hood, trunk, mirrors) that will recieve the carbon fiber. The best way to select a part is to use the Polygonal Lasso tool. If you need to remove parts, such as emblems or lights, hold "alt" while selecting. To add sections, hold "shift" while selecting. I also use this selection process when lowering and changing colors.
      3. Once you have the section that you want to recieve the carbon fiber, copy it and paste it into a new layer.
      4. Create another layer. This will be your CF texture. Fill the layer using either "fill" from the menu, or the bucket tool. Opacity should be 100% and layer style should be set as normal, for now.
      5. Carbon fiber should now be covering the entire picture. Next, you will want to use transform to change the perspective to match the perspective of the car. This isn't necessairy but it may improve the look. I also like to rotate the texture by as much as 30 degrees to get a less uniform look. Another good idea is to use the "Twirl" filter to give it a nice twist texture.
      6. Ok. So we've got our carbon fiber, and we've got our selected parts. Lets put them together. In the layer menu, turn off all the layers except the one with the parts that will recieve carbon fiber. Then select those parts. I've found that this can be easily done using the magic wand with tolerance set up around 200.
      7. Once the part is selected, click "Inverse" under the select menu.
      8. Turn all the layers back on and select the layer containing the carbon fiber texture.
      9. Press the delete key. If you did everything right, the carbon fiber selection should be only on the selected parts now! Congrats!
      10. Now this is essential to making the Carbon fiber look good. Select the layer which has the Carbon fiber texture and change the layer type to "overlay". This will make the carbon fiber appear to be part of the car.
      11. If the car that you did this on is not black, your new carbon fiber parts may need to be darkened to look like real carbon fiber. To do this, select the parts layer and go to "Adjust hue/saturation" and play around till you find the right color.

(Car recieved Color change, Lowering, Carbon Fiber.)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast