VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The ONLY Fox here on Megasquirt Standalone!

5K views 50 replies 18 participants last post by  Fox-N-It 
#1 ·
Well at 5am this morning after wiring it up all night she turned over(better than CIS-E might I add) and idled beautifully. I have finally finished the CIS-E to Megasquirt conversion and can't wait to tune it. I've been up over 24hrs now so i'll tell ya more and get some pics later. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

UPDATED 6/7/05
Pics to keep you somewhat intrested! Once again excuse the durty engine bay. After I get things setteled it will be cleaned. I'm still trying to get a good feel for the tuning aspect and my Innovate wideband has been acting weird so i got to figure that out as well.
The sweet lil custom intake i made with a BMW 4" air filter and the stock CIS boot.

Shot of where i mounted the intake air sensor and you can see how i just put some rubber lines over the stock hardlines. Also shows where I ran some of the wires through the firewall.

Down they go through the raintray. I had origionally planned to mount the relay box in there but after soem though and after i made the long hole i decided to mount it under the dash wiht the ECU.

Another shot of the intake and some CIS-E wiring i'll remove.
I also need a blockoff plate for the 5th injector if osmeone has one lyin around.

The entire durty bay. I also need to score a small breether filter for the valve cover. Anyone got a good place to order from?

The in car mess as it sits. I hooked up and new cig plug to power the wideband in run and crank. The relay board and ecu(not seen in the pic) will be mounted up under there.

Shot of the DIGI coolant flange that needs to be mounted and the G60 injectors peeking through.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Fox-N-It at 4:18 PM 6-7-2005

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: The ONLY Fox here on Megasquirt Standalone! (Fox-N-It)

Congratulations on the Megasquirt.

I hope that means that you will bring the Fox to the Bug-Out so that we can see the latest changes. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Or are you going to be drag racing the Jetta?
You can always drive one of them to the Bug-Out, walk home, and then drive the other one to the Bug-Out.

#8 ·
Re: The ONLY Fox here on Megasquirt Standalone! (FOXisVW2)

This is a long one.....
Quote, originally posted by 100HP1.8 »
Very nice. I envy ya, must have been fun wiring.

This is what I was dreading though it really wasn't all that hard. Unplug all of the CIS-E stuff and run wires for TPS, coolant, intake air, O2 (wideband
),injectors, tach, power, ground, and switched 12v
Quote, originally posted by the brit »
Awesome dude.
But do you have brakes yet too ?

Yes it is official I have done The Brit's 22mm MC conversion along with 10.1's in front and 8.9's in rear. I only had the car out for a day with the conversion before I ripped everything out but OMG. The pedal feel compared to stock is AMAZING. Even with stock prop valves in the rear the fronts will lock up before the rears under hard braking. Though I do plan to change them out for 16v units and run new hardlines.
I must say http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to Jamie. Anyone looking to upgrade their brakes to a race worthy set-up look no furthur. Its worth every penny!
Quote, originally posted by FOXisVW2 »
Congratulations on the Megasquirt.

I hope that means that you will bring the Fox to the Bug-Out so that we can see the latest changes. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Or are you going to be drag racing the Jetta?
You can always drive one of them to the Bug-Out, walk home, and then drive the other one to the Bug-Out.

Unfortunatly I have to work this weekend(11-7 today 3-11 tomorrow) though im planning on being sick about 4hrs into it
so hopefully Ii can get my wideband to speak more correctly with MS and get her out on her maiden voyage to Bug-Out.
I'll probably park the jetta in the show area but racing a 17second car that will run a 17 is silly. 30mpg is what the 1.8L 100hp motor was made for and she does it well.
A bit more info on the swap.
The MS was put togeather by a a friend of mine and my self. He's studying electrical engineering and im studying mechanical so it was a good combination. Honestly anyone who can pick up a test bread board from radioshack and make a decent solder and knows how to use a volt meter can do this. It took us about a week to get everything togeather (MS ECU, Relay board, stimulator, and megaview).
Parts used to swap from CIS-E to MS:
G60 fuelrail, injectors, FPR and injector inserts(digi2 stuff will also work).
Intake air temp(IAT) from a 2.0L mk3.
Digi1/2 coolant neck and sensors(blue is for ecu black is for cluster guage).
Spool of rubber fuel line.
Auto 16v passat TB with TPS.
lots of wiring and some various vac line and hose clamps.
Procedure:
Unplug/dissconnect injectors from head and everything on the CIS-E box and pull it out. Make note of which fuel line is feed and which is return.
pull off coolant neck and replace wiht the digi one.
Swap the injector inserts over and bolt up the wiring part of the fuel rail. Then insert the injecrots plug them in and bolt down the rail. Put the injector clips on once everythign is bolted down tight.
Run some rubber fuel hose from feed to the top of the rail and return to the FPR. I put a bit of WD-40 in the end of the hose to help it get over the flares. Then I clamped it down to make sure gas wasn't gonna spray on the exhaust manifold.
Next I needed to devise an intake. I got a BMW cone air filter(4" inlet
) and used the stock CIS-E boot and it fit perfectly where the CIS-E bowl was. Then i needed to mount the IAT so i pulled the plastic plug out of the elbow in the boot and used a drill to open it up a until my sensor would thread into the rubber. She sealed tight and looks pretty sweet IMO. Using the stock boot also makes keeping most vaccume stuff in the same place http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif. I still need to get a small filter for the valve cover vent which I didnt route back to the intake.
I retained the aux air valve as a fast idle valve and sofar so good. Getting the idle down using a TB wiht out an idle screw was a bit tricky but nailed down to 800-900.
After getting everythign in we ran wires for the sensors and and power. Switched 12v when cranking is taken from the + on the coil for the moment until I find a better spot(tips/ideas? needs to be 12v in durring run and crank). The CIS-e ignition was retained. The - on the coil is suposed a horrible place to grab a tach signal so I used 3 1/2 watt 1K resistors to keep down the noise on the line and so far so good.
Right now im running Inovate LM-1 as an O2 but I dont think I have something configured right so that needs to be addressed.
Thanks for the kind words guys! I've spent 2 weeks getting the brakes swap done along with those stupid control arm bushings. Seems like a while but I was just taking my time. The MS install was completed in 2 friday nights and now I wish I had done it earlier so I could for sure run at the show, hopefully I still can. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#10 ·
Re: The ONLY Fox here on Megasquirt Standalone! (Zyzzyan)

Thats awesome, sounds like a pretty straight forward swap, let us know how it works out. I looked into this but didnt get tht serious about it, but now it is a possibility with the engine in. As for The ONLY....Ill bet im the only person running an A2 ECU in my car thats chipped
Could you give me more info on the brakes...I dont want to spend another dime on my 9.4's.

#14 ·
Re: (Ol' Grey Fox)

Quote, originally posted by the brit »
Photos, we need photos !

No shots of the MS yet caus im working out the wirring through the bay now.
I did scope these bad boys. I apologize for the durtyness.

I'll try to make a video of startup the laptop action and ya'll can hear my full TT exhaust and crazy new intake. It sounds so pissed off with no restriction in the intake other than the filter.
Quote, originally posted by Ol’ Grey Fox »
Fantastic bit of work. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
So when are you coming down for school again?

I offically graduated 3 weeks ago with my AS degree in Science and Now I'm officially going to VCU as I got accepted 2 weeks ago. I'm looking for a place to live in the Fan/downtown. I should be down there August'ish unless I need to move in sooner http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#18 ·
You can use almost any sensors. I used the bosch ones to keep in the vw family and soldered in the appropriate resistors for them when the time came durring assembly.
Once I get it nailed down i'll post a few files. I also have a few for a 1.8L 8v and 2.0L 16v.
I took it out for a spin last night and started to richen out the 3-4k range andlean out the idle to 3k range. WOT looks pretty good but it dips into the 9's when cruising.

#21 ·
Re: (jackfrost1031)

Quote, originally posted by 93wolfsburg »
So whats the word did you end up making it to bugout when you were "sick"

Yep saturday night I stayed up till 5am getting it driveable. It didnt take much to get it on the road but once on the road trying to nail down the perfect AFR's was a challenge. I dont like the base map i started with so im gonna start from scratch now and redo it. I also need to get the right CIS-
E FP relay to cut the revlimit and not flood the motor when turned to RUN.
Bugout 57 was pretty good. 2 other foxers, FoxIsVW2, and another guy I didnt meet. None of the PA guys showed up. Definitely next bugout i will be on the strip seeing what she can do.
Quote, originally posted by jackfrost1031 »
the underlying question I have...
How much did it cost?

A MS ECU is about $125 total And the Simulator is about $50 total.
I also opted for the Relay Board which is $55 total.
And Megaview which is $117.
I spent about $40 on wire and other various things for installation.

#22 ·
Re: (Fox-N-It)

I've been toying with the idea of getting MS for my next project for a very long time. Having seen you do this has inspired me to do it too. I think roughly the cost of chipped DIGI-1 and MS are close to the same but with MS you can run coilpacks and its completely tuneable. Bottom line I'm sold!

#23 ·
Re: (Fox-N-It)

awesome, and I know that you used Bosch sensors, but were the original ones or did you get replacements while you were at it? Or was that the $40 you mentioned.

I think that I want to try this on one of my cars, seems like a fun project that can be as complex/simple as you want.
maybe even on a lawnmower

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.