VWVortex.com - What is the range of your Mk3 KES remote?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What is the range of your Mk3 KES remote?

1. 06-01-2005 03:49 PM #1
      For those of you who have installed the Clarion KES/alarm module from a 98-99 Mk3 (the one we're always talking about), how far from your car can you be to use it? Assuming no walls or physical obstructions of course.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI | 1996 Passat wagon RIP
      06-01-2005 09:22 PM #2
      Honestly, probably about 10-15 feet max, with nothing else around, on a good day. Depending on where I am standing.
      And don't laugh.....if I hold the fob to my chin, and point it at the car, I get more range; probably around 20 feet.

Vehicles
      96 VW Golf 2.0 - 97 VW Passat VR6 - 2001.5 Passat 1.8t Estate - 2005 Acura RSX-S - 2011 Mazda Speed3
      06-01-2005 09:36 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by thecreeper »
      And don't laugh.....if I hold the fob to my chin, and point it at the car, I get more range; probably around 20 feet.

i can vouche for that! it uses your head as an antenna cant believe you know this too without the chin trick i get around 50ft give or take.
      Troll'n hard.

4. 06-01-2005 10:30 PM #4
      Yeah the chin trick is well known in the Mk 3 forum. But let's talk about the range when holding it at belt level. I have just installed mine and modified it and wondered what to compare to.

06-02-2005 12:24 PM #5
      On a GOOD day I can get 10 feet. Most of the time I get about 5.

Vehicles
      06-02-2005 05:05 PM #6
      OK, time to let the cat out of the bag, what do you have up your sleeve?!?!?!

7. 06-02-2005 09:41 PM #7
      Well, I was wanting to hear how everyone else's was doing so I could tell if this was an improvement before I talk about it. That way I could just keep quiet if it didn't work. I bought a Mk3 module and remote last year used from a texer and finally got around to installing it the other week while the car was apart. I had read this thread about improving the range: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1369570 Everybody talks about how sorry the range is and they have to hold the remote to their chin. So I decided to do this mod from the beginning.
      We had some very fine gauge insulated wire at work, maybe 30 gauge. (The thread keeps mentioning shielded wire, I'm sure they really mean to say insulated) The antenna inside the box is a coil covered in heatshrink tubing. I was unable to tell which end of it was the "base" end connected to the circuit, so I didn't know which end I wanted to try to solder to. So instead of soldering, I just looped the wire through the coil 2 or 3 times and left the end loose. I'm hoping that there will be inductive coupling of signal from the wire into the antenna. Of course I had to drill a hole in the plastic case to feed the wire out.
      I ran the wire along the main dash wire harnesses to get behind the radio. I attempted to connect the wire to the antenna cable's center conductor. This was very difficult since the antenna plug is crimped on around the ground shield and there is maybe 1mm of visible center wire inside the plastic insulator. I picked away at the insulator with an x-acto knife and tried to loop the wire end under the antenna wire without touching any of the shield wires, then I wrapped it all with black tape for about 4" along the cable.
      Anyway the system seems to work well and I get roughly 40' of range if there's no obstructions. If this is much better than you guys are getting then I suggest you try this. You don't have to try to hook it to the antenna, you can just run the wire around under the dash and tape it to the top. Or you can feed it up the a-pillar. If you guys are already getting this type of range, then never mind!

Vehicles
      06-03-2005 08:37 AM #8
      I'm trying it this weekend! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

9. 06-03-2005 01:28 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by thecreeper »
      I'm trying it this weekend! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I hope it improves it for you. If not, maybe the short end of the wire does need to be soldered to the antenna coil. I had nothing to compare to, thus the original question.

Vehicles
      06-04-2005 03:54 PM #10
      Well I did the upgrade.
      My range increased by at least 2X what it was before (haven't actually mesured it). I am happy! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I forgot what a PITA it is getting that module out...that took up most of the time.

11. 06-05-2005 10:12 AM #11
      Please tell how you did yours. Did you loop it thru the antenna coil? solder it? connect to antenna or not? Just so others will know what worked well.

Vehicles
      06-05-2005 11:41 AM #12
      I ended up using AM antenna from the receiver I recently bought (who listens to AM anyway?). It was the type that was folded in half, then twisted, so there were two ends of wire free at one end. I stripped roughly an inch off each end of wire, and wrapped it around each end of the module's antenna. I tucked each bit of it under the shrink wrap to hold it in place.
      I then ran the new length of antenna up behind the driver's window pillar, then along the driver's side trim by the headliner. The new length of antenna finished at the passenger's side.
      I originally wanted to run it up along the pillar then across the area above the windshield. But that was taking too much time, and it was about 150° in the car, so I went for the easy route. I may try it later and see how it compares.
      As it is now, I have more range than what I originally thought. More like 3X, and I can even arm/disarm from inside my house!
      These are the cheap easy mods I like [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      1984 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel, 1982 Caddy ABA project, 2001 Jetta GL TDI 5MT, 2016 Jetta GLI SE 6MT
      03-09-2006 08:22 PM #13
      I did this today. I think my wire may be too large, and antenna place not optimal because I only gained 5, maybe 10 feet. An improvement nonetheless. I will experiment with placement of the wire to see if I can find a sweet spot for it.
      Heres how I did mine:

I drilled a small hole at the end of the plastic cover to let the wire out and then have it run up to around the dash tweeter location.

For advertising information click HERE