Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: big bumper??

Vehicles
      aba mk2 jetta, 2011 Ford Fiesta
      06-16-2005 03:22 AM #1
      I was wondering if anyone has taken off the boutique bumper from the clipper kit and done a big bumper upgrade?

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      06-16-2005 05:41 PM #2
      Mk2 "big bumper"? Yes, it's been done.
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

3. 06-17-2005 11:44 AM #3
      how does it look? any pics?

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      06-17-2005 08:03 PM #4
      I personally don't care for 'em (the ones on the maroon Cab aren't the "big bumpers" but the Mk2 "small bumpers", see below), but here you go:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1563036
      "Small" Mk2 bumpers:

"Big" Mk2 bumpers:
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

Vehicles
      1967 beetle
      06-23-2005 11:11 PM #5
      ive done it
      i had to mod the bumper underneth so it would fit, cabbie bumper it too big, if done right i think it looks real good
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You can't expect them to walk to and from school carrying their babies..

6. 06-15-2006 10:55 PM #6
      I just picked up a mk2 big bumper with rebar, to install on my mk1 convertible. How do I mod the bracket? I'm intent on making this work. Can anybody chime in with advice? Thanks.

7. 06-16-2006 08:23 PM #7
      Well upon closer inspection, it looks like my mk2 rebar is meant for the small mk2 bumper. I'm confused. Does anybody know how to get this done?

Vehicles
      RIP 98 Cabrio,Owned: 95 Golf Sport, 90 cabriolet, 90 jetta, 90 Jetta w/ ABA swap, 83 GTI
      06-17-2006 02:00 AM #8
      I heard you just mod the big bumper skin over the old clipper rebar...
      I dunno but here's a good pic that I've had stored for a while...
      and if you look closely you can tell that I made the grill badgeless with a little copy & paste...

Vehicles
      '89 Cabby ABA/16vT, '89 Cabby, '94 E420 (RIP), '05 C55
      06-17-2006 07:44 AM #9
      Evidently there is a certain way to mount the MK2 Big Bumper this for it to look right. From what I've seen most people don't mount it correctly and it causes the bumper to tilt forward and not look right. I was considering mounting the Big Bumper on my Cabby and in my research found the following...
      [URLhttp://www.geek-out.com/vw/bigbumps.htm][/URL]

10. 06-17-2006 11:48 AM #10
      [QUOTE=16vCabrioletofNJ]Evidently there is a certain way to mount the MK2 Big Bumper this for it to look right. From what I've seen most people don't mount it correctly and it causes the bumper to tilt forward and not look right. I was considering mounting the Big Bumper on my Cabby and in my research found the following...
      [URLhttp://www.geek-out.com/vw/bigbumps.htm][/URL][/QUOTE
      Perfect, thanks.

11. 01-09-2015 02:49 PM #11
      hey guys, the fender bender fairy stopped by the other day, and I just got my car back from the impound. I'm rebuilding the car over the next few weeks but have a quick question. One of the parts I have to replace is the upper rad support, the radiator and ac condenser were destroyed. I'm going to try and use the radiator and condenser out of my parted-out 2000 cabby. With that being said, I am more then likely going to have to use the upper rad support as well, but it's not everyday you have the entire front end off of your daily driven car. I'm driving a 1995 cabby, mk3 style, but while I have the opportunity I would absolutely love to finish with my dream, an old school mk1 look. Unfortunately, I found out the upper rad supports in them were actually welded to the frame? If so, I would love an mk2 style, to still give the old school bug-eyed front. Is there going to be an issue with lining the rad support up with the radiator and condenser? is it not going to fit at all? Looking around the internet but havent found any other forums where this question was answer. I want a big bumber, the car is lowered so it looks great. Is this going to turn into a much bigger project than I had intended? If so, I will try and find an mk3 rad support and pray it lines up with my mk4 parts. Thanks!
      P.S. I a nw bumper, hod, fenders and all so I'm taking that into consideration so I make sure the parts also match the headlight shape and bolt patterns to the car
      Cheers, Tyler.

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Convertible, 91 Midnight Pearl EA Cabriolet, RIP 92 VW Cabriolet Diesel :(
      01-09-2015 11:23 PM #12
      Short answer: You can't do what you want to do.

Explanation: The mk1's were the only watercooled vw's where the front end was all welded to the unibody (minus the fenders). However, mounting mk2 bumpers on a mk3 doesn't seem to be an easy feat. I'm sure someone has done it, but that's just mounting bumpers that never came on a cabby. Switching the lights, forget it.
      Mk3 cabriolets came as two variants. The mk3 and the mk3.5 (referred to as mk4 in europe). A mk3 golf, jetta, or cabrio front end would fit onto your car, but not a mk4 front end.

For advertising information click HERE