Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: where is the "combi valve" on a 1.8T?

Vehicles
      '97 Jetta GLX; '01 GTI 1.8T; '12 Golf R
      01-09-2002 03:08 PM #1
      Does anyone know where the combi valve is located on a 1.8T in a Passat ('01, FWD). A friend of mines' combi valve is supposedly bad and I'm trying to figure out if this is something that we can get to and replace by ourselves. Thanks in advance.

'01 GTI GLS

2. 01-09-2002 03:50 PM #2
      First you need to tell us what a combi valve is. Do you mean his By-Pass valve? It severs the function of feeding the intake air back to the turbo when the throttle body closes... is that what you are talking about?

If so, it's on the passenger side on the bottom front. Pull the belly pan, and look for a cylindrical housing with a large hose comming out of the bottom, and a second on the side, and a small vaccum hose on the top.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat 1.8Tm
      01-09-2002 03:52 PM #3
      I believe the "combi valve" is not much more than a fancy check valve for the crank case vapors.

The valve function is dependent on boost or lack thereof. During idle and light throttle cruising (intake manifold vacuum), the valve is open allowing crank case vapors to vent into intake tract. Boost causes the valve to close (avoiding boost leak).

This valve should be located on the hose leading from the crank case breather (breather is located on drivers side of engine block just behind and above where the oil dip stick goes in).

edit: on a GTI 1.8T, the breather is on the front side of block.

Good Luck

[Modified by Electron Man, 2:53 PM 1-9-2002]

Vehicles
      '97 Jetta GLX; '01 GTI 1.8T; '12 Golf R
      01-14-2002 12:11 PM #4
      It's not the diverter or bi-pass valve (i.e. - forge, bailey, etc.). This valve supposedly has to do with the secondary air injection system as the trouble code that resulted said something about "combi-valve, secondary air injection" or something like that. And maybe that is the same thing that Electron Man is referring to? If I can at least find it on the engine, I can see how hard it would be to get to and change (since it's supposedly bad). Thank you for the help.

'01 GTI GLS

Past - 2001 GTI 1.8T, 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
      Present - 2012 Golf R