Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which car salesman make more money?

1. Senior Member
      06-25-2005 10:42 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by VeeDubDriver »
      Perhaps this will shed some light on the topic. If you work at a Toyota or Lexus store, you are probably selling more cars per month than say a Dodge store. In addition, Lexus probably sells cars with less of a discount than many makes, so I would venture to say that if you work at a Lexus store, you have the potential to do pretty well.

But how many salespeople does a Toyota store selling 1464 vehicles a year have? How many does a Dodge store selling 409 vehicles a year have? The Toyota store may sell 3.5 times as many vehicles, but if they have 3.5 times as many salespeople, that works out to the same number of vehicles sold per salesperson on average.

06-25-2005 11:15 PM #27
      No selection for "Gateway's salesman"?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

3. 06-25-2005 11:18 PM #28
      I have no proof to back this up but I'm guessing...
      Toyota and Honda sales people

Vehicles
      '06 Toyota Land Cruiser
      06-25-2005 11:40 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by Four Speed Fox »
      Ask to see those pay stubs.
      It's rare for a car salesman to make more than $40K/year. Some markets pay a little better because rent/expenses are high (e.g. San Francisco)

Interesting, especially since we live in the same area. Through the mid to late 90s I was a lot-lizzard at MAG (local import dealer) while in college, there were a few guys my age that sold BWWs and claimed make 60-80k/yr. They seemed to be doing well for themselves but alot of people tend to live beyond their means.
      Looking forward to reading your writeup.

5. 06-25-2005 11:45 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by CMHCivicSi »
      Interesting, especially since we live in the same area. Through the mid to late 90s I was a lot-lizzard at MAG (local import dealer) while in college, there were a few guys my age that sold BWWs and claimed make 60-80k/yr. They seemed to be doing well for themselves but alot of people tend to live beyond their means.
      Looking forward to reading your writeup.

The old-timers at MAG - Charlie Cox for example - do pretty well, but most of them are struggling to stay above water. MAG is notorious for shorting salespeople on commission/bonus as well.
      Right now, Crown is a decent place to make money as well.
      There's a formula most car salespeople use to estimate their annual income. It's simple so I will share it with you
      BEST MONTH EVAR!!!!11!!one!! x 12 = Guaranteed annual salary to put on loan apps
      When I was selling at Infiniti o' Cowtown my in-laws would ask me how I was doing. "Oh, four or five K a month", I would say, neglecting to mention that that month was a total fluke and never to be repeated.

6. 06-26-2005 12:32 AM #31
      There's a formula most car salespeople use to estimate their annual income. It's simple so I will share it with you
      BEST MONTH EVAR!!!!11!!one!! x 12 = Guaranteed annual salary to put on loan apps
      When I was selling at Infiniti o' Cowtown my in-laws would ask me how I was doing. "Oh, four or five K a month", I would say, neglecting to mention that that month was a total fluke and never to be repeated.

So true. Some salesmen just cant stop selling no matter what! When I started here, the manager had me believing I'd make 6-8 grand a month easy right away! ....I made about $1500 my first month......

7. 06-26-2005 12:52 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by savethefleas »
      So true. Some salesmen just cant stop selling no matter what! When I started here, the manager had me believing I'd make 6-8 grand a month easy right away! ....I made about $1500 my first month......

Yep.
      When you interview for a sales job, you get sold a sales job every time.
      Ask me how I worked at a Toyota dealer for four days.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      06-26-2005 01:11 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by hawc »
      why don't manufacturers sell direct to the customers and eliminate the dealers?

In some cases they do. European Delivery programs, for example, or Daewoo's college student sales concept (which failed miserably).
      But people usually want to try cars before they buy them. You need a dealer who will keep a stock of demonstrators, parts and service, etc.
      Now, I don't think the car buying process has to work the way it does. I don't understand why this old "horse trader" buying process is still the norm. New car dealers could really take a cue from Carmax. I've never bought a car there personally, but I've been there with friends and family and it's amazing. The car has a price, it's fair, you pay it. The salesperson is there to ring you up and let you decide for yourself, not push the car on you or make a futile attempt to inform you about it.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

06-26-2005 01:30 AM #34
      I do pretty well for what I consider to be a easy job (compaired to others I know in the auto business) I compete with only two other sales people on the floor and I've got Banker's hours (9am-6pm M-F, 9am-5pm Sat)
      I know I could go elsewhere to make twice my current salary but I just can't stomach the thought of dealing with 15-20 other people for my living and the door at those bigger dealerships is constantly revolving.
      My first year in sales I made about $35k and every year I have increased my salary by about 10%, this year I'm on track to do about $80k. I know others who sell high line cars like I do that deal in far larger cities, the good sales people there routinely do well over $100k.
      I know I could make more money eleswhere but at the expense of having a lot more stress and a lot less time to spend doing the things
      I love to do.
      It's a proper, proper thing!

Vehicles
      AMG - Land Rovers
      06-26-2005 01:33 AM #35
      Last edited by Harv; 10-11-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      06-26-2005 01:36 AM #36
      Quote, originally posted by pagermancarlover »
      hahah..thats why they make you walk thru the office to get to the lot to look at cars..they'll spot you coming before you unbuckel your seatbelt..then they try to shake your hand and all this other crap..i cant stand carmax..

Whenever I've been there I just walked right into the lot. Never dealt with a salesperson until I needed one.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      AMG - Land Rovers
      06-26-2005 01:49 AM #37
      Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »
      Whenever I've been there I just walked right into the lot. Never dealt with a salesperson until I needed one.

all the ones ive been to they have all the cars in a high fence..looks like an impound lot. they only to get to the lot is to go thur the office and all the sales people run at you..horrible experience

Vehicles
      1998 Pelican Blue Audi A4Q Sport
      06-26-2005 11:24 AM #38
      Usual CL banter. I wonder how many of us have worked at both kinds of dealerships?
      I've been at a few low-end dealers (Ford, GM, Dodge) and one high-end dealership (Porsche, Benz, Audi).
      Used cars will always pay better than new.
      High end cars almost always pay better than low end cars.
      You do sell fewer high end cars, so you have fewer salespeople working them.
      You will find 1% of all car salespeople make more than $80K a year.
      1%...Now ask yourself if you believe you've met that person selling VWs, a car that pays $1,500 total profit to the dealer at sticker. Not enough to even bonus on, in most dealerships. And that's before any discount.
      At any rate, there's always one person who gets shafted in a vehicle sale, and it's more often than not the salesperson.
      The buyer gets a vehicle they believe was worth what they spent, the dealership makes good money on the vast majority of sales, but the salesperson may not have even made enough gross profit (above invoice) to even get paid.
      Just another post in a sea of posts, let's see who listened.

Vehicles
      '06 Toyota Land Cruiser
      06-26-2005 11:45 AM #39
      The old-timers at MAG - Charlie Cox for example - do pretty well.

Charlie is the first salesperson I thought of when this conversation started, that guy does very well selling high volume, low margin.

Vehicles
      GTI/Passat
      06-26-2005 12:17 PM #40
      When I was selling Bimmers, the average sales person was making a little over 80K a year, the real hardcare guys were making about 150K, there were several guys that came from lower end car sales and they were making about twice as much with Bimmer. With the lower end cars people shop you alot more. The dealersips are generaly willing to sell cars at greater discounts because they want to move volume and there is a lot more competition. Our draw at the Bimmer dealer was 2k a month. Our minis were 500. A mini is the minimum you can make on a car no matter what the dealer makes. So you sell 4 cars even at the minimum and you have covered your draw. The most I made on a Bimmer was about 3500 and no I'm not proud of that. For comparrison, I was offered a job a VW store were the mini was 180 and the draw was only 1800. The good sales people there were lucky to be breaking 40K a year. So for the most part, higher end cars equals more money.
      Follow Me On Twitter - EuropeanCarMike

Drive, then write.

16. 06-26-2005 12:52 PM #41
      Way more money in used cars if the lot has good quality well priced used cars.
      I sold VW's, mini's were $125 commision was 25%... I had the record for the highest gross in a used car, $8500! That was the tota profit made by the dealer, and it was on a 98 Mustang GT.
      On average I sold 25 cars a month most of those being new VW's. Where I made money was on the "bonus" cars and by hitting the tier that the dealership set.
      Our GM had cars on a "bonus" list that would pay anywhere from $300 to $1200. On the tier the bonus would increase dependant on the quantity of new VW's you sold. 8-10 would pay $500, 11-15, = $800,16 and up $1000.
      I left a job paying $40k to sell cars, and I told myself that after a year selling cars, if I didn't at least match my previous salary I would leave... well after a year and a half I quit. Too many hours for basically the same pay. Weekends are worth more than $$$.
      Bottom line, a good store, a good sales person = $$$ no matter what you sell. Just prepare to sacrifice your life for the cause.
      Hats off to those who can survive in the business!

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      06-26-2005 01:03 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by TRiAD »
      At any rate, there's always one person who gets shafted in a vehicle sale, and it's more often than not the salesperson.
      The buyer gets a vehicle they believe was worth what they spent, the dealership makes good money on the vast majority of sales, but the salesperson may not have even made enough gross profit (above invoice) to even get paid.
      Just another post in a sea of posts, let's see who listened.

I read it and as I pointed out to someone in another thread, I couldn't care less about the dealer or the salesperson. Dealers and their employees made the bed they sleep in with the tactics they employ. No one is forcing you to work for the dealer and no one is forcing you to sell a car at $100 over invoice. Don't like it ? TOUGH.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      01 GMC Sonoma
      06-26-2005 03:15 PM #43
      Quote, originally posted by Merc-MarkO »
      Need an option for Gateway's salesman.

Now that's funny!!

Vehicles
      2006 Škoda Octavia
      06-26-2005 03:26 PM #44
      Quote, originally posted by shftat6 »
      Now that's funny!!

It's actually kinda sad.

20. 06-26-2005 03:56 PM #45
      Used car sales is where the $ is at

Vehicles
      15' Ford Focus ST st3
      06-26-2005 04:23 PM #46
      i think i feel all warm and fuzzy inside for carsales people

22. 06-26-2005 05:05 PM #47
      Quote, originally posted by my merc 4 »
      i think i feel all warm and fuzzy inside for carsales people

Don't worry, it'll probably go away soon.
      call it potatography

23. 06-26-2005 07:34 PM #48
      Funny this thread pops up today.
      My wife is really interested in selling cars, but neither her nor I know a thing about it.
      She hasn't mentioned a brand, knowing her she probably wants to sell dodge trucks.
      Anyway, what's all this "mini" talk, could anyone elaborate?

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-26-2005 07:44 PM #49
      Need an option for Gateway's salesman.

x10
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      1998 Pelican Blue Audi A4Q Sport
      06-26-2005 08:17 PM #50
      ...Dealers and their employees made the bed they sleep in with the tactics they employ....

Yeah, there's a sweeping generalization for you.
      That's like saying VW owners all deserve to die because Hitler had a big hand in the founding of their company.
      It's stupid comments like these that contribute to some dealerships and their employees feeling exactly the same way about YOU.
      Myself, I could never operate that way. That's why I have been to a few different dealerships. Some are good, some are bad, like anything else in life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast