Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: HELP 97 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA LOW RPMS!!

1. 07-05-2005 02:04 AM #1
      Ok the other day my car would not start. Jumped it off and it started. Everything was fine... figured I left the light on or something. Two or three days went by and it died again. Jumped it off and noticed my rpm's when I was at idel and had the a/c on they would run low and flutuate... when I say low I mean between 650 and 800. When I turned the a/c off it remained steady at 800rpms. I changed out the battery and it is still doing it.

I think It may be the alternator... My dad thinks possible the stupid fuel pump.

Fuel pump affects the rpms only when the a/c is on?? And fuel pump drains the battery??

Which do you think it is... or none of the above...

Thanks,
      Brandon

College student in despair

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 Sport
      07-05-2005 10:33 AM #2
      Not sure about why it isn't starting but your RPM problem may be from lost idle adaption settings. Had a similar problem after installing a new stereo in my car and disconnecting the battery. The car's ECU "forgets" the idle adaption settings when power is disconnected. Afterwards, it needs to "re-learn" the correct idle position. Either use a VAG-COM to recalibrate your idle position or just drive it for a couple weeks. It does eventually fix itself.

Cause: As the car ages, deposits build up inside the throttle body and the idle settings must be adjusted to compensate. These settings are stored in the ECU. When you disconnect the battery, the settings are restored to how they were from the factory.

Another option is to clean your throttle body. Then it will probably idle too high for a couple weeks. If its never been done, probably needs it anyway.

Modified by KCMTNBIKER at 9:36 AM 7-5-2005

2006 Audi A3 Sport | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage I | Neuspeed P-Flow | VMR Vent Boost Gauge | S3 Pedals | 3" downpipe
      Previously: | 1998 Jetta GT | Lysolm Supercharged 2.0 | Loads of other mods | Daily Driven for 10 Years |

3. 07-05-2005 11:38 AM #3
      So in general, the fuel pump would not affect the rpm's only when the a/c is on. That is my biggest fear... I dont want it to be the fuel pump. That would be very expensive.

You know its 11:37 Tuesday eastern time and Im fixing to run to auto zone to get the alternator tester on it and see if the alternator is going our.

Rather it be the alternator than the fuel pump....

MEANWHILE... I will print out your response for my dad to read since im car illiterate.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 Sport
      07-05-2005 11:47 AM #4
      doubt if the fuel pump has anything to do with the RPM's base on your fact pattern. Fuel pump usually doesn't produce low idle. Symptoms of poor fuel pump would be more like "sputtering" as it revs up and or rough idle.
      2006 Audi A3 Sport | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage I | Neuspeed P-Flow | VMR Vent Boost Gauge | S3 Pedals | 3" downpipe
      Previously: | 1998 Jetta GT | Lysolm Supercharged 2.0 | Loads of other mods | Daily Driven for 10 Years |

5. 07-05-2005 01:55 PM #5
      I would tend to agree with everyone else that your ECU just hasn't re-learned its idle speed yet. I have the same exact problem whenever I have to reconnect the battery and the problem will usually go away after about an hour of driving. This is especially true if you have an aftermarket intake (the ECU isn't used to the engine having all that air breathing capability right away).

6. 07-05-2005 02:42 PM #6
      First and foremost replace ur battery, if it keeps losing charge do that. It's a bad feeling to be somewhere and have to find someone to give a jump. secondly the fluctuation in rpm's while the ac is on, sounds fairly normal. with the little four cyl it is a drain on the engine to have to push the pump, my suggestion with that is to have it charged so that the pump doesn't kick on and off as much. when my a/c pump kicks on the rpm's jump down to about 650 700 ish and my idle is usually 900 ish. so you don't sound like there's a big problem. biggest problem is the battery losing charge. i'd change my battery and have the alternator tested and other than that you sound pretty normal. anyone disagree?

7. 07-06-2005 01:57 AM #7
      NOW THE FLUTUATING LOW RPM'S AT IDEL WITH THE A/C ON ONLY IS OCCURING OFF AND ON. Once it idels for about fifteen minutes or so it dosent do it... but as I drive and I hit the clutch the rpms start its thing again. Its now doing it off and on...

its not the battery even though it was dead a few weeks ago and according to auto zone its not the alternator.

Could there be a short, or could some sensor somewhere be going out.

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta
      07-06-2005 03:17 AM #8
      I have the same problem in my Jetta too. IMO, learn to live with it. As long as the car doesn't die while its idling then you should be ok. Replace your battery too. Oh, and I recently switched from 87 to 93 gas and it seemed to run alot better with the a/c on. Try that too.

9. 07-06-2005 08:02 AM #9
      Dude i just said it doesn't sound like a problem, for our little 2.0 to turn the a/c pump puts a little stress on the engine, therefore when the pump kicks on u will see a rpm drop. unless it's causing ur car to cut off, or sputter for that matter it's not a problem. take it to pep boys and pay a little to have them charge the a/c so it won't kick on and off as much.

10. 07-06-2005 07:42 PM #10
      Well I did take your advice and took it to "autozone"...

BUT... like I figured there is a problem. Its the idle control system...

Either I need a Idle Air Contrl Valve or a Idle Speed control Actuator.

Now knowing this much information which one would relate to the Idle control system.

BTW... They checked my computer to get the code for "idle control system"

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 Sport
      07-06-2005 11:16 PM #11
      What was the actual code that it gave?

12. 07-07-2005 07:21 AM #12
      Well the way u explained it, made it sound normal. My car does the same thing, when the a/c pump kicks in the rpms drop to like 7-800, but i'm not pulling any codes....what's the actual code it's pulling, bentley will help on this one.

13. 07-07-2005 11:47 AM #13
      There was actually two codes... p0506 and p1582.

The p1582 is the electronic throttle monitor data and they said that "might" be related to the p0506 which is the idle control system rpm lower than expected code.

Now when he pulled up the p1582 code it pulled up two different sensors....

The Idle Air Control Valve

and

Idle Speed Control Actuator.

Now just need to figure out which it is and if the code p0506 is related or a whole new problem.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 Sport
      07-07-2005 03:36 PM #14
      These are the same codes I was receiving until I cleaned the throttle body. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, try taking a can of throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner) and wipe out the inside of your throttle body. It only takes 15 minutes or so. I would suggest this before spending any money on shop fees or new parts. (Be sure to hold your accelerator pedal to the floor so you can clean the back side of the butterfly valve...oh and make sure your engine is OFF). It will idle really crappy for about 5 minutes and then idle at really high RPM's for a couple of days until your ECU figures out the new idle settings.

Your tb can only compensate for so much dirt and grime before it reaches "idle adaption at limit" (p1582). The P506 is related since your RPM's are lower than expected. It took me 2 years and several visits to a shop before I finally figured this out on my 98 Jetta GT.

See this thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1502148

and this one for a list of codes: http://www.bentleypublishers.c...e.htm

Modified by KCMTNBIKER at 2:42 PM 7-7-2005

15. 02-05-2008 01:35 PM #15
      Hello,

My name is Anne Hendriks, I am living in Europe, The Netherlands. I am Dutch, so if my English isn't to good...... I have this 94 Jetta III GL 2.0 8V, first owner. I bought the car in the States. I am experiencing the same idling problems. Also the car is now and than not running really smooth. Mileage on the fuel is oke. Also if its hot and using the ac, when the car is idling for a while its driving away horrible. Like if it dont get sparks, or the fuel is evaporating. The car is really sulky(bucking?), after a mile things are going better. The OBD says 2231: IAC dirty, possible air leak somewhere in the intakesystem or EGR valve inop. Cant fing anything, please help. By the way, what means CEL?

Vehicles
      Too many
      02-05-2008 02:03 PM #16
      http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty...x.htm

Visit that page sir.

Its for the US 2.0 Golf/Jetta OBDI and II.

17. 02-06-2008 07:20 AM #17
      Thanks, gonna work on it. If I get result, will let you know.

18. 02-18-2008 02:47 PM #18
      Dan,

Thanks for the suggestions. They helped! The big black hose between the airfilter housing and the air intake was torn, hard to see, on the underside.
      The car is driving way better, is what my wife says. I still prefer the BMW motorcycle.

Thanks, who knows till the next time.

Anne

19. 02-18-2008 03:05 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by Bad Boy »
      Dan,

Thanks for the suggestions. They helped! The big black hose between the airfilter housing and the air intake was torn, hard to see, on the underside.
      The car is driving way better, is what my wife says. I still prefer the BMW motorcycle.

Thanks, who knows till the next time.

Anne

This person is awesome, WTB more polite people.