VWVortex.com - WOO HOO.. 92 MK3 GOLF/PASSAT VR FINALLY FINISHED..ALMOST..56K, go paint a sky scraper!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WOO HOO.. 92 MK3 GOLF/PASSAT VR FINALLY FINISHED..ALMOST..56K, go paint a sky scraper!

Vehicles
      1960 Euro Bug, 1992 Golf VR6, 82 Caddy Diesel, 87 Cabby, etc
      07-08-2005 03:39 AM #1
      Well, its finally almost finished. I began this project in April 2004, basically 14-15 months, and many blown dollars ago. The idea was to have a reliable car to use to drive around town in place of my F150. After I got AC in the car, 5th gear went out a few days later. Needing a trans, and with the work that was going to be I decided to update the whole car, and make it available to be at the reliability level of my truck, which gets driven at a moments notice ANYWHERE in the country for work. I located a 97 Jetta wreck with 57K on the clock.

Here is what she looked like when I got her.

Spray Paint always does a nice paint job!

Nice dent in the quarter....

Women drivers..

Ironmites working hard here....

More of that lovely Dutchboy paint...

I think a marble could plug that exhaust...

Interior was decent. Previous owner put sport seats and door cards in it, which went a long way. Nice stained grey carpet, and some half assed speakers in the door. Also had a nice ***** shift boot and shift knob, and some cheesy pedal pads.

Oh yea baby.. 8 valves of Digifart fury...

Continuing...

Modified by BoostedOne at 5:04 AM 7-8-2005

Vehicles
      07-08-2005 03:56 AM #2
      Plan was to swap over every moving part from the Jetta to the Golf. In the meantime, the car had some rust. Some you saw, some you didnt.
      So, I was going to fix the rust. I have a pressure pot blaster, and was simply going to remove the glass, and take care of the rust areas, spray it, and put it back together..simple enough, right?
      Well, once I got it taken apart, I blasted all the rust..
      Then I was looking at the trim down the sides, and said I didnt like it. Im taking it off, which meant welding the holes shut since its a 92. I didnt like the banannas. So I welded plates in there...

Fresh from blasting...

Note the gnarlyness of the door handle area. I had some chinese handles from Cullen to go in there, and figured, well, I gotta straighten this metal out. Hell, why not get rid of em all together..And heres where it got nutty...
      My solution to the wavy door handle opening..

And bye to trim holes too..

Piss off, bananna lights!

All those emblems in the back are just clutter...

I dont like rear wipers and squirters either...So they all had to go..

What the hell is this silly hole for?

We dont need no stinkin driver wiper..

Notice the car is a hardtop...

Or it was..

This had better work now, or I stick a rag top in it!

About 40 hours later, it did work out. 97 Jetta motorized, glass, tilts up and down, sunroof!

At this point, off it goes to the body guy for the finishing touches in 2004.

Continuing..

Modified by BoostedOne at 3:57 AM 7-8-2005

Modified by BoostedOne at 3:59 AM 7-8-2005

3. Banned
      07-08-2005 04:07 AM #3
      You have way more time on your hands than me. Looking good keep us posted.

Vehicles
      MkV Jetta 2.0TFSI
      07-08-2005 04:09 AM #4
      rahhhhhhhhhh heavy!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf Sportwagen
      07-08-2005 04:14 AM #5
      Sick job on the sunroof! Looks to be a sweet project. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      07-08-2005 04:17 AM #6
      Early January I pick up this 93 VR6 Passat 5 speed for a song!
      Runs good, but needs timing chain guides which means pulling the tranny(havent I been here before!). I decide, piss on the ABA out of the Jetta, if I gotta pull half the running gear out of the Passat, its getting a full rebuild, and going in the Golf!

So, in mid January, my paint guy is done.

Here he is, buffin the shine up!

I was going to use ATS Cups, but the set I had was pretty beat and I couldnt see using them on this car now. So, I got a set of 14x8 Borbet Ts with 195-45-14s. Suspension is Koni yellows, Neuspeed springs, and Autotech sway bars front and rear.

I also got a my Mattig fuel cap hooked up to my A3 gas tank. Works great. No cheesy aluminum fuel door.

For a breif period I thought I wanted smoked E Codes..But that phase passed..

Did I mention it has a a3 dash swap? All the AC stuff is in there, and hooked up.

Unlike others, I didnt just attach the cross brace to the tiny little mount tabs for the a2 knee bar, and I didnt just weld the damn thing to the A pillar. I attached nuts to the cross brace, and welded 1/8" plate mounting tabs for something sturdy, yet removable if I have to do a heater core or AC evaporator..

I ended up not being able to get the A3 instrument cluster to work with the Passat wiring. Yes, I said Passat wiring. I didnt ghetto rig the wiring together with butt connectors and electrical tape. I used the Passat harness from headlight to tailight, except for the headlight switch! SO, I just modified the dash to accept the Passat cluster. At this point I got my Momo wheel in, too!

COntinuing...

Modified by BoostedOne at 2:16 PM 7-8-2005

7. Banned
      07-08-2005 04:20 AM #7
      NIIICE

Vehicles
      07-08-2005 04:33 AM #8
      The car had manual mirrors and windows. It now sports full power, with full logic controls. THese are the kind with the small microswitches that you hit once and the window rolls down on its own. I mounted the switches in the door panels, where the window crank used to go. I also replaced those hacked up door pockets with some A3 pockets I modified to fit the doors. Also note the cool later pin switch for the door, with the rubber boot covering it..

Sport seats back in, but no more nasty grey carpet..

Got the rear hatch all hooked up...

Trunk mounted battery to make room upfront, and even out the weight a little of the VR...

Gotta get the engine together...

Knocking in pistons..Use the VW VR ring compressor if you have to do this..It makes life sooo much easier, and by the time you crack two rings doing it some other way, the tool woulda been paid for.

New oil pump, bearings, etc...

Fresh head..

To go on a fresh block..

To make a fresh motor..

Getting ready to go in..

And its in...

Wiring bits..

And the bastard wouldnt run right..After messing with cam timing for a week, I finally gave up, sorta. I couldnt figure out if it was wiring, or mechanical...Heres my aggrivating thread about it..
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2060685
      So I fixed it another way..

Out comes the one I just built, in goes a junkyard motor out of a wrecked 93 Passat. Cool thing was, it looks like this one may have been rebuilt already too. Its got a new oil pump, timing guides done, and a ported head!
      I figured if the car ran, it was mechanical, and I would then concentrate on the engine I just built. If not, then it was electrical and I had to go through the harness. Either way, sooner or later my engine goes back in, and I sell this one to recoup the money.
      One more photo thread to follow..

Modified by BoostedOne at 2:15 PM 7-8-2005

Vehicles
      07-08-2005 04:40 AM #9
      So, I got it running on Sunday morning(7/3) after working on it for 25 hours straight. As of tonight, 7/7, I have about 400 miles of driving around already. It runs great. Only probs I had was the previous owner put in the wrong oil pressure sensor, which caused the alarm to go off all the time.
      Got the AC charged up and working on Tuesday. I still need to get the front bumper painted, and once that is done I want to get a 16V lip. The cruise control doesnt work either for some reason, and I need to get a radio on this biach.
      Also, dont tell me about the stance.. I know the rear is lower than the front. I gotta raise the back up about an inch...
      But anyhow, I went out tonight to take some pics...

My front lawn...

At Sea World...

At the Orange County Convention Center.

Thats all for now. I need to take some daylight shots when I get a chance.
      Hope yall like..Its been ALOT of friggin work.

Vehicles
      07-08-2005 04:55 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by madd92jetta »
      You have way more time on your hands than me. Looking good keep us posted.

Well, I work about 3000 hours a year(average individual with a 40hr week job, 2 weeks vacation time works 2000, if they never call in sick, take a holiday, etc) so I would be suprised if that were true. And most of the time when I work its out of town so that means no coming home from work and doing stuff, no weekends. I slept in my own bed 9 days from mid Feb to the end of May. And the closest I was when I wasnt at home was 600 miles away in Chatanooga.
      Its basically just determination, drive, and not being lazy. Most people I know who bitch about never getting anything done on their projects are out drinking Friday and Saturday night, or planted in front of the TV on their ass, or playing X Box games in their free time. Cry me a river for them..Not jumping on your ass, but I definately have less time than most that COULD be used on their car, its just how people manage it.
      And yeah, I got a girlfriend

Vehicles
      07-08-2005 04:58 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by PerfectGLi »
      Sick job on the sunroof! Looks to be a sweet project. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Thanks. Its probably what will set the car out the most from others, and is the thing I would never do again..LOL..
      I did it on a whim...I sat there lookin at the parts car and said "screw it", and got the cut off wheel. Two hours later(was an off and on project, as the feeder bands for Hurricane Charlie were coming through), I got the roof out of the jetta and a hole in my roof the size of Texas.. Then I was committed.

12. 07-08-2005 06:22 AM #12
      quick someone get him a vr chin spoiler. nah! just kiddin' that thing is nice. nice work [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by freeky8v at 11:24 AM 7-8-2005

13. 07-08-2005 08:11 AM #13
      nice work mang!! I like it [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

14. 07-08-2005 08:40 AM #14
      Looks tight, love the borbets
      even more so, I love the attention to every little detail!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 vr6 gli 1989 16v gli 1992 GTI
      07-08-2005 08:44 AM #15
      nice! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      "tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich"

16. Member
      07-08-2005 09:24 AM #16
      Roof Install is impressive man, nice work, throw the Stockie Mirrors back on though, A2 mirrors stock look better than any aftermarket ones they make, they IMO, are the only ones that can fit the lines and flow of an MK2,

Beautiful Work

07-08-2005 10:11 AM #17
      Lookin nice Scott [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] That's a lot of work for a "dependable daily driver"
      Cheers, Adrian
      726 bottles of beer on the wall.

18. 07-08-2005 10:27 AM #18
      looks great but I have two complaints.. Front needs to be lower (you have some reverse rake going on) , also a nicer wheel choice would compliment the car better.

19. 07-08-2005 10:27 AM #19
      what happened to this bumper?

and also.. why does it ride so high in the front?

Vehicles
      1990 Jetta, 2009 Rabbit, 2011 GTI
      07-08-2005 10:41 AM #20
      Nice job, now put on a front lip and tuck the front wheels. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      91 16V Gti for fun / 02 1.8t A4 Avant for function
      07-08-2005 11:35 AM #21
      love the paint!
      is that R32 blue?

22. 07-08-2005 12:33 PM #22
      wowzers. that's a SERIOUS amount of work. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

23. 07-08-2005 12:46 PM #23

Looks like a big wave in the bodywork. Is it just the lighting? Im not trying to be a jerk, Im actually doing the same bodywork on my car right now and Im having a hell of a time getting this area straight on my doors.

24. 07-08-2005 12:54 PM #24
      hey, this is a random question, but do you still have that corrado steering wheel in the early pics? i really want one of those.
      CT GET LOW

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      07-08-2005 01:22 PM #25
      DUDE YOUR CAR IS Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiick I wana see it in person
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast