I have been itching for a DIY for quite some time now and here is a quick one for you and I hope you will like it!
Ever since I saw and test drove the MK5 Jetta I liked the cool idea of having a shopping bag hook in the trunk. This is one feature that I definitely wanted to have in my MK4.
So I bought a shopping bag hook for the MK5 Jetta and installed it in my MK4 Jetta.
I shall not be held responsible for any damage to you or to your vehicle resulting from following this DIY manual. This should simply serve as a guide and you should feel free to modify and change things as you see fit!
Tools and Parts Needed:
1. One or two shopping bag hooks from MK5 Jetta. The part number is 6Y5 867 615 B41. You can purchase a set of 2 hooks with mounting hardware from http://www.worldimpex.com for around $20.00 - $25.00 It is a relatively good price because you get 2 hooks, 4 bolts and 4 speed nuts to mount the hooks.
2. Torx 25 bit
3. An electric drill with various drill bits
* Spend some time to look under the trunk to find the best location for the shopping hook. Here is how the hooks looks like:
You need flat surface long enough to fit the hook so that it sits flush with the metal separator plate in the trunk.
* When you find the desired position, mark locations of the two holes you need to drill.
* Start with a drill bit with a small diameter and gradually use larger drill bits. BE CAREFULL not to drill throught the fabric cover on top. It is very easy to get impatient and drill a little too much!
Eventually you will end up having something that looks like this:
Here is how the back for the hook and the speed nuts look like:
* Slide the speed nuts behind the metal plate and bolt the hook in place:
Here is the final result:
When done, step back and enjoy your work. Now, when you go grocery shopping, your products won't fly around in your trunk!
I am very interested to see a clever modification of this DIY that will serve all hatchback owners... Since Golfs and GTIs don't have this metal plate in the trunk, the shopping hook would have to be mounted somewhere on the side...
Modified by vasillalov at 12:03 AM 7-9-2005