Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Honda S2000 = VERY Dangerous Car?

1. 07-15-2005 02:35 PM #36
      Quote, originally posted by Whirling_Dervish »

Ever hear the term "more car than driver"?

Driver error is the cause, not the car. The car is a scalpel, having exquisite percision. But if you don't know what you are doing that level of percision is misplaced.

I think you mean "precision"

Sorry, just couldnt help it.

2. 07-15-2005 02:40 PM #37
      If you think the S2000 is bad, try driving a Viper. A lot more tail happy, with twice the power.

07-15-2005 02:45 PM #38
      Quote, originally posted by dastig »
      If you think the S2000 is bad, try driving a Viper. A lot more tail happy, with twice the power.

So that means the viper is 2x as dangerous as the s2k

4. 07-15-2005 02:48 PM #39

5. 07-15-2005 03:15 PM #40
      since you drive a 528,

trying flooring the accelartor on a curve specially when its wet. I have spun out.

This is the first time I am hearing the S2000 is tail happy. IMHO any car is dangerious in the hands of an incompetant driver(specially a sports car or roadster). I have spun out in my car and my previous car, doesnt mean my car is not safe, it just means I dont know how to drive a RWD car right .

Vehicles
      1992 E36
      07-15-2005 03:34 PM #41
      almost anycar could be dangerous.just depednds oh how u drive it.
      look at the cars from the 60 muscle car era.. they are RWD, and they don't even handle as good, but i don't ever see people comaplining about the safety of it..
      learn to drive your machine !

7. Banned
      07-15-2005 03:35 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by NotFast »

I wish they would stop crashing. I pay way too much $$ for insurance on my S2000, even though it's a second car and I'm getting a bagful of discounts.

Same here. It is rediculous how expensive it is to insure the S2000. It has gone up in premiums every year and my driving record is clean!

8. Banned
      07-15-2005 03:39 PM #43
      Quote, originally posted by kyokoris »
      almost anycar could be dangerous.just depednds oh how u drive it.
      look at the cars from the 60 muscle car era.. they are RWD, and they don't even handle as good, but i don't ever see people comaplining about the safety of it..
      learn to drive your machine !

That brings me back to my original comment and others. What limits the car is the driver. Knife analogy is great one. Master chef will creat wonders with a sharp knife where little child will hurt themselves with it or thers.

Six degrees of separationg lies in "Skills", understanding of the car and ability to control the car in each situation, of the driver not the car.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT, '11 VW Tiguan SE
      07-15-2005 03:48 PM #44
      Were you taken for a test-ride in a used pre-2004 S2000 (AP1) or a 2004 or later AP2? As others have said, the earlier models were under-tired and over-suspended. The 2004+ models have had the suspension "softened" and the tires widened. While some pre-2004 S2000 owners will tell you that the later cars are soft, reality shows quite a different picture.

The newer cars are slightly more compliant on the road, easier to manage on the edge, all while being faster than the older S2000s. Much to the chagrin of other drivers, I routinely bring out the tail of my S2000 and can easily control it at the limit...because I know what to expect (autocross helps here). Remember, these cars don't have traction control, so it is totally up to you to drive safely at the limit and in adverse conditions. If you can't handle that, don't get an S2000.

That said, I've only unintentionally spun my car once. I came off some wet pavement (because of sprinklers in a median) and made a hard left at about 45 mph. My tires were still wet and slipped on the dry pavement like they were lubed up with Vaseline. I was lucky not to eat a curb when it happened. If you stay sane while driving an S2000, you'll never have a problem. Of course, it's hard to stay sane above 6,000 rpm.

FYI, it's also a very safe car in terms of crash ratings, thanks to the stiff structure and high door sills:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2811.html

I truly can't recommend this car highly enough. Realize, it's not for everybody though.

Modified by Jordi at 2:58 PM 7-15-2005

10. Banned
      07-15-2005 03:54 PM #45
      I agree with pretty much everyone. You can lose the rear in almost all RWD performers.

I've owned a worked 86 Buick Regal, a worked 88 MonteCarlo, and a 240sx.

If you don't know how to drive something RWD and how to handle a turn at speed, then yes you will lose the rear.

Hell I can even do it in my 92 Volvo Wagon.

For research of this watch episodes of the Dukes of Hazard.

07-15-2005 04:05 PM #46
      What good is traction control through a turn at a high sped though? I was always under the impression that traction control tends to cut off once you hit 30mph or so. I would rather have stability control than traction control. Isn't traction control more for braking and stop and go driving due to too much wheel spin cause your stupid ass is flooring it from a stop (especially in the rain)

07-15-2005 04:24 PM #47
      Quote, originally posted by green tea »
      So that means the viper is 2x as dangerous as the s2k

No....Its 4x as dangerous cause it has 4x as much torque. For all you CL torque freaks.

13. 07-15-2005 04:28 PM #48
      Traction control is only for controlling wheelspin. It is not the same as "electronic stability program" at all. The S2000 does not have any of this, because they wanted to make an undiluted driving experience. As a result, if the driver makes an inappropriate request, the vehicle does what's requested. If the driver makes a request that amounts to spinning sideways into the bushes ... then that's what the car does.

Problems happen when the driver thinks they know what they are doing, but actually don't.

14. 07-15-2005 04:30 PM #49
      Every Honda or Acura I ever owned - and there have been a few - came with what I considered to be undersized tires. The S2000 suffers from this as well.

07-15-2005 04:31 PM #50
      As I thought then. Cause i noticed on forums, some people tend to miuse traction contorl and stability contorl. Even going as far as saying traction contorl would have saved my car from hitting a tree when my dumb ass went 60 through a turn in the rain

16. 07-15-2005 04:32 PM #51
      When you make a mistake in a small car, the (bad) results are exaggerated.

When I first got my Miata I lifted off the throttle coming in a little hot in a turn and promptly did a 270 spin.

You learn quickly not to do that. But it's never happened since.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat 1.8T 5M
      07-15-2005 04:50 PM #52
      Yep, no different than a Miata, RX7, or MR2. You either need to REALLY learn how to drive them hard or you just stick to more screwup-proof FWD cars, or at least less screwup-prone RWD cars like BMWs.

18. 07-15-2005 04:59 PM #53
      Quote, originally posted by NotFast »

I wish they would stop crashing. I pay way too much $$ for insurance on my S2000, even though it's a second car and I'm getting a bagful of discounts.

I pay under $100/month for mine and live in california...go figure.
      Its my only car, and I'm under 30.

19. 07-15-2005 05:16 PM #54
      I've owned mine for almost 3.5 years. Lots of track days, lots of driving when it was damn frigid out (ie middle of Feb, with no snow on the roads), lots of driving in rain, lots of hooliganism.

Long story short, this car is so easy to catch it's nearly telepathic. If you can't control this car, you are a twit with no skill or you are going WAY too fast.

I have slid off the track in it once, but did not spin, simply ran out of road with my lurid slide.

It's been a ton of fun.

20. 07-15-2005 09:37 PM #55
      Quote, originally posted by Rob »
      I've owned mine for almost 3.5 years. Lots of track days, lots of driving when it was damn frigid out (ie middle of Feb, with no snow on the roads), lots of driving in rain, lots of hooliganism.

Long story short, this car is so easy to catch it's nearly telepathic. If you can't control this car, you are a twit with no skill or you are going WAY too fast.

I have slid off the track in it once, but did not spin, simply ran out of road with my lurid slide.

It's been a ton of fun.

Well said.

07-15-2005 09:56 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by GTI 20v »
      Think of the S2000 as a sharp knife. It is a great tool if used correctly, but can be deadly in the wrong hands. Would you ever blame a knife for being too sharp? No. In short, it's the driver, not the car.

Agreed 100%, and I own an S2000. Autocrossed it, took it to Arroyo Seco raceway, and it on a redneck 3/8 mile NASCAR oval with a small paved infield as a gymkhana event. I've still never spun the car, although I can see how a bad driver would pretty easily fail to keep up. You have to react QUICKLY to changes in vehicle yaw or it will get away from you. The car has extremely fast steering, so this isn't difficult if you're paying attention while driving.

22. Banned
      07-16-2005 12:44 AM #57
      Quote, originally posted by joecooool »
      Every Honda or Acura I ever owned - and there have been a few - came with what I considered to be undersized tires. The S2000 suffers from this as well.

Suffers? Interesting because I find the tires size to be perfect.

23. 07-17-2005 03:50 PM #58
      Quote, originally posted by luso »
      For a while I've heard Hondas S2000s were dangerous cars prone to losing the rear.

Ignoring the advice of friends, decided to go to a dealer a check one out.

Guess what? No, I didn't lose it. The salesman lost it going round a corner. Dry conditions. A bit fast around the corner, as he was trying to impress me, but nothing that a "sports" car can't handle.

Well, the S2000 is now officially off my shortlist.

Anyone with bad experiences with S2000s? Or was it just a bad salesman/driver?

Bad driver...though a lot of drivers are bad when they're new to the S2000. Hell, it's real easy to lose control taking a left turn from a stop light because mid-turn, you either have to shift, or switch into VTEC...Someone new to the car could take it wrong.

24. 07-17-2005 04:05 PM #59
      My dad has one. One day I was driving to see some friends in it, and then on the way I saw one of my friends pulling in to her house, so I went to do a U-turn and then go down her street. I was only going a little bit faster than I would have had I been in my TSX, but the back end lost it. I ended up perpendicular on a busy street, but luckily it was like a Sunday afternoon so there wasn't much traffic and I did it when there were no cars coming. It scared the crap out of me, especially since I wasn't driving very fast. I had done many a U-turn with my 2000 Golf (had H&R Cup Kit, sway bars) going faster than I was going in the S2000 and never lost control. It was very poor performance for a sporty car.

25. 07-17-2005 04:07 PM #60
      I'll suggest an average driver never even think about a spirited drive in a Viper, 2000S or my Alfa Spider. If you drive any rear wheel performance car --keep both hands on the wheel and be prepared to stomp it when the rears even think about breaking loose. We all know most will let off the gas and then it gets rather interesting.

26. 07-17-2005 04:21 PM #61
      Either test driv eit or get Forza Motorsport for XBOX, the S2K feels damn neutral in the game compared to say a scary Z06 Vette

27. 07-17-2005 04:26 PM #62

28. 07-17-2005 04:28 PM #63
      Quote, originally posted by vertigo »

I pay under $100/month for mine and live in california...go figure.
      Its my only car, and I'm under 30.

Yawp...under 25, only car (for the time being), and I pay $102 a month

29. Banned
      07-17-2005 05:15 PM #64
      Quote, originally posted by GolfMKIV »
      My dad has one. One day I was driving to see some friends in it, and then on the way I saw one of my friends pulling in to her house, so I went to do a U-turn and then go down her street. I was only going a little bit faster than I would have had I been in my TSX, but the back end lost it. I ended up perpendicular on a busy street, but luckily it was like a Sunday afternoon so there wasn't much traffic and I did it when there were no cars coming. It scared the crap out of me, especially since I wasn't driving very fast. I had done many a U-turn with my 2000 Golf (had H&R Cup Kit, sway bars) going faster than I was going in the S2000 and never lost control. It was very poor performance for a sporty car.

ARE YOU F#@KING KIDDING ME???

You see what we are dealing with? People with absolutely no freakin idea about cars and how to drive them! because he can take turns or u-turns fast in his FWD Golf he thinks S2000 should do the same???? and he blames the car???

Is this a joke?

30. 07-17-2005 05:19 PM #65
      the fact that you are asking this question tells me one of two things.

1. if you are asking if it's too much car for you, and you are unsure. then Yes, it probably is not the right car for you.

2. and this is more likely- you think the S2000 is unsafe and are trying to steer a conversation in that direction, disguised as a question?

The S2000 is fine. it is a driver's car, if you don't know what you are doing it is possible to get in over your head.

31. 07-17-2005 05:22 PM #66
      S200's are in fact very dangerous, a guy around my area was just killed on route 17 in paramus when he lost control and got slammed into a telephone pole. he was going at a high rate of speed but their is no way to gain control of a car with rear wheel drive that is that light.

32. 07-17-2005 05:28 PM #67
      I can't believe what I just read.. Why not blame it on George Bush and Global Warning
      ? Or are you just joking ?

33. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 04 BMW 330ci
      07-17-2005 05:41 PM #68
      Quote, originally posted by Turboface »
      S200's are in fact very dangerous, a guy around my area was just killed on route 17 in paramus when he lost control and got slammed into a telephone pole. he was going at a high rate of speed but their is no way to gain control of a car with rear wheel drive that is that light.

Or could it be *GASP* the guy just sucked at driving!??

Please don't ever buy anything with more than 150hp or RWD if that's the way you think.

34. 07-17-2005 05:46 PM #69
      What do you want from him he drives a 1.8T powered econo-box

07-17-2005 05:48 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by Turboface »

There are so many things wrong with your post, i'll just let it go...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast