Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ******* 2006 GTI vs. GLI *******

1. 07-23-2005 08:01 PM #1
      Why are so many people going to wait several months for the GTI when they could get a GLI right now (or in a few weeks). The GLI and GTI are identical in several ways in regards to sportiness - same front end/engine/interior goodies etc. Not to mention that the GLI is a four door sedan and will probably have a better resale value. I understand some people would like the 2-door hatch, but especially for people wanting to wait maybe 2 years for a four-door GTI, why not get a GLI?

In the previous generation, there was a signifigant difference between the Jetta GLI and GTI (especially the non-2004.5 GLIs), but for the MkVs, it seems the big difference between the two is sedan and hatchback.

2. 07-23-2005 08:42 PM #2
      Well, for a couple of reasons, I think it boils down to very simple factors in many cases:

-The GTI moniker (although the GLI has similar appeal in its name here in North America)
      -The practical aspect of the hatchback. When it comes down to it, a hatch is much more practical for many people and their accompanying lifestyles.
      -The design. While I do not want to turn this into a Jetta design debate, there are those who feel that the A5 Golf and Jetta styling suit the Golf better. Additionally, some people simply prefer the look of the hatch.

Myself, I want the GTI because of its history, nostalgia (the fact I owned a great Mk1 GTI) and I prefer the styling.

3. 07-23-2005 10:00 PM #3
      For me

-GTI looks better than the Jetta
      -Hatch is better than a trunk (practical like a mini suv)
      -Hatchbacks just looks cooler in the mk5 form
      -GTI look much less, it not at all, like a Toyota

Vehicles
      Diesel Wagon
      07-24-2005 12:12 AM #4
      The name, The praticallity of a hatch and the "hot hatch" look. The jetta to me, is a car for people over 30...

5. 07-24-2005 12:45 AM #5
      i like the nostalgia of the mkv gti and the practicality of a hatchback.

6. 07-24-2005 01:25 AM #6
      Hehe not to get back to the vs part and off what people think. For the most part these car very simular so when it comes down to it what do you like more visualy.

7. 07-24-2005 01:31 AM #7
      the GTI is shorter, so it's also easier to weeve in and out of traffic

not to mention it's a hatch back, can't get any more euro then that!

8. 07-24-2005 01:41 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by FLank_Sinatra »
      the GTI is shorter, so it's also easier to weeve in and out of traffic

not to mention it's a hatch back, can't get any more euro then that!

How much shorter is it i did not think it was that much shorter. I think if you like to weeve buy a mk1 and put 20g in it. mk5 is the heavest and largest gen so far.

Vehicles
      B8 ABT A4, S550
      07-24-2005 05:16 AM #9
      I honestly don't know anymore.
      -Insurance rates will be a lot less on the GLI (sedans seem to go for a lot less than Hot-Hatches)
      -With the sedan you can lock the huge trunk.
      -Did I mention the trunk is huge and I think it has more storage space than the GTI?
      -The new MK V Jetta design can look really good if done right (hell I honestly think it looks good now).
      I still want a 5 door GTI though - it's just the overall package and suits me more for some reason. That and the GTI is a legend which adds to the whole awesome feel of owning one. And I figure with the addition of the 2 doors insurance rates will be relatively the same with the GLI. I don't know. It's late and im

10. 07-24-2005 05:35 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by wgriffiths2000 »

How much shorter is it i did not think it was that much shorter. I think if you like to weeve buy a mk1 and put 20g in it. mk5 is the heavest and largest gen so far.

MkI GTi: 145 inches.
      MkIV GTi: 163 inches.
      MkV GTi: 165 inches.
      MkV Jetta: 179 inches (14 inches more )

MkIV GTi Curb Weight: 2,932lbs / 3,036lbs (1.8T/VR6)
      MkV GTi Curb Weight: 2,928lbs.

It's basically exactly the same weight as the MkIV.

I like hatchbacks because you can fit large objects into them, unlike trunks. Try fitting a 4x10" bass cabinet in a trunk...

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2014 Porsche Cayman
      07-24-2005 09:52 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Hotpockets »

I like hatchbacks because you can fit large objects into them, unlike trunks. Try fitting a 4x10" bass cabinet in a trunk...

This is a good point...it's much, much easier to get large objects in a hatchback than a trunk! Just ask any college student. Personally, I think the GTI/GLI front works thousands of times better with the GTI's rear. I find the Jetta's rear design to be completely off.

I've got a GTI now that I love, so it would be GTI for me.

12. 07-24-2005 01:58 PM #12
      A hatch just has better contour or something...hard to explain. The Jetta looks like a big trunk added onto a hatchback...which it is...The hatch jsut look more natural.

To me, there is no way a Sedan can substitute for a hatch...unless I indepedently like the sedan too.

13. 07-24-2005 02:52 PM #13
      i am willing to wait 3 more years i hopes of a 25th Anny MKV GTI. That will be sick!!!

14. 07-24-2005 05:30 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by GMordocco »
      i am willing to wait 3 more years i hopes of a 25th Anny MKV GTI. That will be sick!!!

Ditto!

I just hope they don't change the front end (headlights) as is being rumored in the British forums. Supposedly along with other changes, the GTI/Golf is maybe receiving Concept C style headlights? I really, really hope this is a bad rumour, as the car is fine as is.

Either way, I'll be waiting until 2008 for a 25th Anniv. GTI or the Concept R roadster. Until then, I will keep my Mk2 and get a used Mk4 in addition next year.

15. 07-24-2005 08:34 PM #15
      The GTI name does bring about more emotion the GLI. However, people have said that the GTI is much more practical - but have you guys seen the size of the GLI's trunk - its HUGE; not to mention the practicality of a four door.

16. 07-24-2005 08:38 PM #16
      I like the look of the MKV GTi wayyy better than the GLi.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      011 Prius, 07 GuangZhou Honda Odssey & 2011 Lexus RX350
      07-24-2005 08:42 PM #17
      If I have choice between GLI and 5door GTi, I take GTi, personaly Jetter design is odd.

18. 07-24-2005 08:51 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by kenstoy »
      If I have choice between GLI and 5door GTi, I take GTi

But would you wait 2 YEARS for that?

19. 07-24-2005 09:02 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by Hotpockets »
      Try fitting a 4x10" bass cabinet in a trunk...
      Fold down seats are your friend.

20. 07-24-2005 09:03 PM #20
      Or even better an new R32.
      I hope it comes as a Jetta too!

21. 07-24-2005 09:04 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by GMordocco »
      Or even better an new R32.
      I hope it comes as a Jetta too!

22. 07-24-2005 09:44 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by DEzNutZz »
      Fold down seats are your friend.

Yes, they're great, but I think the point he was trying to make is that it is much easier to fit large and awkward objects into a hatchback than through the trunk opening of the Jetta. Although, I'm not denying that the Jetta has a really good trunkspace. (I put the bag hook to good use in one the other day )

23. Member
      Vehicles
      12 RB MkVI Golf R, 98 BMW E36 M3
      07-24-2005 10:23 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by jetta06 »
      Why are so many people going to wait several months for the GTI when they could get a GLI right now (or in a few weeks). The GLI and GTI are identical in several ways in regards to sportiness - same front end/engine/interior goodies etc. Not to mention that the GLI is a four door sedan and will probably have a better resale value. I understand some people would like the 2-door hatch, but especially for people wanting to wait maybe 2 years for a four-door GTI, why not get a GLI?

In the previous generation, there was a signifigant difference between the Jetta GLI and GTI (especially the non-2004.5 GLIs), but for the MkVs, it seems the big difference between the two is sedan and hatchback.

For me:

1) No VR6 offered for MkV Jetta
      2) The GTI looks better than the GLI
      3) The GTI will be straight from Wolfsburg.
      4) GTI appeals to me.
      5) Since no 6 cyl engine offered to Jetta, if I have to choose a 4-cyl, then, the GTI is a reasonable choice as the real GTI should have a 4-cyl rather than 6-cyl.

24. 07-24-2005 11:24 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by jetta06 »

But would you wait 2 YEARS for that?

Man...for some people, like me, there is no sedan alternative for a hot hatch...which means, people would rather get a some other competing hot hatch.

I just can't see how a Jetta can be an alternative to a hot hatch...unless you're whatever between the two car. For people who wants a hatch, I don't see time as an excuse to get a Jetta...but maybe a different hatch...or maybe an audi a3

25. 07-24-2005 11:47 PM #25
      the GTI is a sexy bitch. Try the 2.0T with DSG, man GLI or GTI it is worth the wait!

26. 07-25-2005 12:15 AM #26
      The GLI weighs 200-300lbs more than the GTI. An enthusiast shouldn't need to know much more than that to decide between the two.

27. 07-25-2005 12:47 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by VAG-MAN »

Yes, they're great, but I think the point he was trying to make is that it is much easier to fit large and awkward objects into a hatchback than through the trunk opening of the Jetta. Although, I'm not denying that the Jetta has a really good trunkspace. (I put the bag hook to good use in one the other day )

Yeah, it's just hard to fit a 2'x2'x2' cube into a trunk opening... Also, the GTi has fold down seats too, so really, they are my friend.

Unrelated, sorta: The Scion xB will fit a full-size (air) mattress with all the seats folded flat!

28. 07-25-2005 02:12 AM #28
      Im leasing my New Jetta... and I must say... I have buyers remorse. I go to bed at night with the image of a 2006 GTI laughing at me.

Vehicles
      MKV R32, 09 Tiguan
      07-25-2005 09:24 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by CedricSwitzerland »
      The jetta to me, is a car for people over 30...

Yeah thats it....
      I'm over 30 and I'm driving a GTI and will be buying the new one when its here. I like the looks for the most part on the GLI, from the few pictures I've seen, but I love the hatch back.

Besides...only people over 30 are going to remember the ORIGINAL GTI's anyway.

30. 07-25-2005 11:19 AM #30
      Quote, originally posted by CrssEyedNSmilin »
      Im leasing my New Jetta... and I must say... I have buyers remorse. I go to bed at night with the image of a 2006 GTI laughing at me.

No problem, when your lease is up, just trade for a 25th anniversary, or an R36, problem solved

31. Member
      07-25-2005 12:21 PM #31
      While I haven't read all of the replies to this thread - I know that I can't freakin wait for a MKV GTI. I love my MKV Jetta, don't get me wrong. But the GTI is in another class. The Jetta just can't touch it. GLI included.
      Currently driving: 2012 Tiguan SEL
      R.I.P: '89 Golf | '99 Golf | '02 GTI | '05 Jetta | '08 Passat | '11 Jetta
      @BeerInBaltimore

32. 07-25-2005 01:24 PM #32
      As for over 30 drivers, I will be 33 when I get the new GTI. Don't try to send me to the retirement home yet.

Frankly I just don't care for the new Jetta but really like the GTI. That's what I'm looking for when I trade my 98 Passat.

33. 07-25-2005 03:29 PM #33
      The GTI weighs less and looks better than the GLI. What more reason would somebody need to not care about the jetta?

34. 04-09-2009 01:34 PM #34
      There are several reasons why a person may buy one car instead of the other. In my case The MkV body style favors the GTI tremendously, I feel the new Jetta just looks way too big, and does not look nearly as sporty. On the other hand it comes down to how the car will be used. Im my case I always seem to have alot of passengers, making the 4 door jetta a much more practical car, its a pain in the butt to constantly have to get out of the car to move the seat forward to let the rear passengers out. If the car were to be used purely as an a to b car for one or two people the GTI makes sense. Or if its going to be used for spirited driving, and sport tuning the GTI weighs less and has a sportier look to it. So to sum it all up, to each his own.

35. 04-09-2009 01:43 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by blindy2001 »
      There are several reasons why a person may buy one car instead of the other. In my case The MkV body style favors the GTI tremendously, I feel the new Jetta just looks way too big, and does not look nearly as sporty. On the other hand it comes down to how the car will be used. Im my case I always seem to have alot of passengers, making the 4 door jetta a much more practical car, its a pain in the butt to constantly have to get out of the car to move the seat forward to let the rear passengers out. If the car were to be used purely as an a to b car for one or two people the GTI makes sense. Or if its going to be used for spirited driving, and sport tuning the GTI weighs less and has a sportier look to it. So to sum it all up, to each his own.

you just bumped a 4 year old thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast