Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: spray job look patchy blotchy is there any cure?

1. 07-25-2005 01:22 PM #1
      Well so much for spray painting out of a can, I think I'm gonna have to go with a full professional paint and system. Cause it really looks cloudy blotchy to me, and I'm not sure if it's cause it's a high gloss paint and maybe the clear coat is blotchy in areas or what. But looking at it in various angles I see blotchy patterns, and I dunno what the perticular cure is for it.

Just been testing this out on my hood, before I do more parts, and so far it doesn't look as good as the stock paint even in my opinion. I sprayed rather evenly and tried to keep the can a good distance from the work using the right sweeping motion. Just doesn't really ring out right too me...

any cure for this, would the clearcoat fix it up or letting it cure longer?
      sanding and recoating?

2. 07-25-2005 01:24 PM #2
      spray can jobs look like crap unless you really know what you are doing FYI its easier to spray flat paint rather then high gloss

3. 07-25-2005 01:32 PM #3
      heheh that sucks, I'm gonna have to go all out then and spray it with like a dupont system or something. It looks good from a distance, but when you look at it on various angles it just doesn't look smooth and opaque one color , it looks clouded and patchy with glossy and dull spots, rough and smooth spots. Flat paint just looks really trashy to begin with I think though is the problem. I seen a high glossed black jetta that had a spray can job and it looked really great. hmmm...maybe just from far away though.

4. 07-25-2005 02:16 PM #4
      did you sand between coats?

also, did you warm the spray cans before painting?

if not, do both

5. 07-25-2005 02:25 PM #5
      It don't look bad at all when it's wet, I just washed my car with the new hood on, and it really does look even. I think it's the clearcoat is mixed inconcistently in a high gloss forumla. I mean that's all it really is, a regular paint with some clearcoat mixed in for gloss.

I'm gonna try putting a few layers of clear coat on and I think that will do the trick. Cause the paint color is even thoughout, just looks patchy in the refelectiveness of the gloss.

Yeah I sanded between coats unless I was doing light coat over light coat then I just waited a few minutes as suggested by bottle. I used a 400 grit wetsand after putting down the primer and a black gloss coat. It felt smooth all over, seen some visible scratches in it, but I think mostly just cause it was black over grey primer.

So I think I will sand it down with an 800 wets and then recoat with glossy black and finish with a few clear coats for even shine.

Modified by sabatosh at 10:28 AM 7-25-2005

6. 07-25-2005 02:29 PM #6
      fyi i would think a cheap maaco spray job would look better then rattle can (im being alittle hipocritical here as my car is rattlecaned)

7. 07-25-2005 02:33 PM #7
      Well, I'll see what results I get with this hood, this was my test. To see how well the paint would come on a real economy paint job. If this don't work I'll probably invest in doing it myself with a pneumatic spray gun and a paint system. More color options that way, so it definately is the way to go in the long run if you like doing this as a hobby.

But experimenting here with what results I can get without going that route at least on this car. Cause I mean the car is alright, but it's an 8valve 86 auto, sure it's in great stock shape now, other than paint. But do I really want to invest a lot of money into it, when it's just my winter car?

I'd rather buy a new guitar..personally..but I do want it to look nice soooo...we'll see at least this will deter rust in the mean time even if it looks junky.

I had seen some car on here that looked really great with a black clearcoat. It looked better than stock and macco...so I dunno who it was. hehehe you know you're out there...hahaha..maybe he don't want me copying his style, hasn't popped in any threads. Or maybe I misread it..

either way, this is just for fun, and we'll see where it goes. So far not too bad....I'll see how I can get it to turn out though as a finished product.

Modified by sabatosh at 10:35 AM 7-25-2005

8. 07-25-2005 02:38 PM #8
      Stick to flat colors and german fat caps.

http://bombingscience.com/shop-tips.htm

9. 07-25-2005 02:57 PM #9
      Flat black looks too friggin' Amish though...I put flat black as a primer coat on my axle and rear springs. Don't know why I did that looking back..hehehe

But if I did use a flat color, wouldn't it still look flat even with a clearcoat? And how about applying a clear coat wouldn't that clean up a patchy gloss paint?

10. 07-25-2005 07:53 PM #10
      Well I just resprayed it with another can, after batching up on the clear coat. I had to sand it all down again with 800 grit wetsand, then putting down the black gloss over it, I got too heavy and I'm gonna have to go back and sand down one part. But I found that keeping your glance on it at one angle helps a lot, then just lay on a moderate coat not heavy that it runs but thick enuff that it's very flush and together, not spocky.

So then just try to do sections at a time and go in lines, overlapping slightly. That seems to work nice, the one part of the hood dried really nice, but it still needs some touch ups where I overdid it and where it was dripping out at one point cause I had the sprayer overdepressed. But it's coming along....now and looks much nicer. I think the clear coat and it will look snazzy, good enuff anyhow, probably still a little weird. We'll see...shaping up though..

11. 07-26-2005 09:44 AM #11
      how far are you away from montclair me and my boys could prob come down this weekend to help you out
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2082301

12. 07-28-2005 12:54 AM #12
      Montclaire is where my music career actually took a big upswing, producer out there got my demos to the right people and I had big record deals before I knew it. Of course I told her she was gonna die if she didn't, in a practical joke sort of way. haha

Anyhow I'm in way south jersey, Atlantic County. So I dunno no big deal, I don't need help really. I know what to do, just been experimenting with spray paint, versus a paint system. Just cheaper and practical for a project car like this. But I went thru all the high gloss black paint they had, and I put it on heavy for a nice even coat. Sadly I got a big of a run on the paint. But you can only tell close up, far away the job looks really good now.

It doesn't look like new car paint jobs from the factory, but they are put on different. It looks sort of like a maaco job I guess....good but not factory or show by any stretch. Maybe when I clear coat it, or when I wax it, it will look better. I dunno if I'm gonna sand down and recoat when they get more paint in. Or if I'm just gonna let it be and do a paint system on it next summer.

Car just has lost priority at this point, it looks good enuff, runs good enuff. I'll probably wind up parking it till winter to burn around in the Passat. Plus I'm trying to launch my marketing my independant mechanic services this month, so I gotta cut some budget for that.

I've found it's even hard to match can to can this paint, it's mixture is inconcistent or something. I had to use a whole can over another can I put on too heavy like back to back, cause I patch sprayed a side I didn't get too, and it looked way different, so I had to go back over. Cause last time I didn't do that, and it wound up staying a different shade, weird.

Modified by sabatosh at 8:57 PM 7-27-2005