Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf/GTI Rear Sunroof Drain Fix DIY

1. 01-11-2006 08:53 PM #26
      this kind of shiz needs to be recalled...wtf
      Completely unacceptable, thanks for the DIY. Hope I never end up using it.

Vehicles
      14' A4 S-line, 2008 DBP R32(sold), 2005 FZ6, 03 Cobra, 12 Tiguan SEL 4mo
      01-12-2006 06:25 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by RENZO1200 »
      this kind of shiz needs to be recalled...wtf
      Completely unacceptable, thanks for the DIY. Hope I never end up using it.

I agree i walked out to my car today to this...(pic from above) mine looked exactly like this...its been raining here for 28 stright days or something its getting ridiculous well i guess i gotta go out and fix it before it gets any worse [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

3. 01-12-2006 06:35 PM #28
      how thoughtful of you to help us out lol thanx

4. 06-29-2006 10:55 AM #29
      Thanks so much for this! Is there a terminating point or nipple for the rear tubes under the car similar to the Jetta? I would like to try clearing the existing tubes before ripping out the rear of the car and the headliner
      Thanks!

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI/CW
      06-29-2006 10:59 AM #30
      more flow
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      06-29-2006 11:00 AM #31
      Great DIY, definitely FAq material, thanks so much!!
      "Turning right in fifth gear from the left hand lane into the wrong end of a one-way street while indicating left, if at all."
      All the custom, none of the cool.
      "Trying to be the cool kid is so cool." - MkIV Scene

7. 07-07-2006 06:38 PM #32
      The terminating point for the nipple is just below the tailights concealed (i think) by the rear bumper. If you look in under the tailight you can see the brown hose fitting into the nipple boot.
      Thanks for the DIY I just fixed my leak!!!!
      I have a 4dr and last night found about 2" of water sloshing around in my rear passenger footwell! I have noticed a leak there for a while now and thought it was the weather-strip aroung the door! After dropping that side of the headliner I found the hose connection was all cracked and brittle and had disconnnected clean off the sunroof drain plug! Fixed by cutting in a new peice of hose and a clamp, just coupled it in about 3"
      Thanks again for the great pics and info! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Now my problem is to fix the sagging spots in my headliner

8. 07-11-2006 01:53 AM #33
      Are the locations the same on a Jetta Wagon?

9. 08-04-2006 05:52 PM #34
      I finally got to it and did this DIY and thank god my leak is fixed.

10. 09-04-2006 01:19 PM #35
      Okay I found my leak inside my 4dr Golf. I think that the hose is not connected to the rear sunroof drain only because the water still comes out the drivers side rear nipple under the car. It leaks mid point right where the back seat celling handle (aka **** bar) is and then I think the rest goes right to the nipple. Do I need to rip off the ceiling? etc? Cuz that drain is not visible....

11. 09-05-2006 03:33 PM #36
      I am also willing to PAY someone in or near Massachusetts to fix this damn problem because I have a feeling I'll be able to take it all apart, but I dont think I'll be able to put it back together! HELP before I run my Golf off a bridge.

12. 07-02-2007 07:53 PM #37
      GTI/GOLF REAR DRAIN PLUGS FOUND!!!!... you don't need to jack the car up and you don't need to take anything apart!
      Driver side:
      Lay down on your back on the drivers side of the car. Ok now look to the left of the exhaust is a big opening for you to stick your right arm up in. Reach up as high as you can go and you will feel the "nipple" squeeze it pinch it until all the gunk flows out....
      Passenger side:
      Lay down on your back parallel with the rear bumper stick your right arm in the opening up as high as you can behind the bumper skin and you'll find the "nipple" there too! now they are up there and very close the the quarter panel. I got both of them in less than 5 minutes. Trust me you don't need pictures and you can do it!!!
      Bring a towel you'll thank me later...

13. 07-04-2007 10:15 AM #38
      GTI/GOLF REAR DRAIN PLUGS FOUND!!!!... you don't need to jack the car up and you don't need to take anything apart!
      Driver side:
      Lay down on your back on the drivers side of the car. Ok now look to the left of the exhaust is a big opening for you to stick your right arm up in. Reach up as high as you can go and you will feel the "nipple" squeeze it pinch it until all the gunk flows out....
      Passenger side:
      Lay down on your back parallel with the rear bumper stick your right arm in the opening up as high as you can behind the bumper skin and you'll find the "nipple" there too! now they are up there and very close the the quarter panel. I got both of them in less than 5 minutes. Trust me you don't need pictures and you can do it!!!

14. 07-04-2007 10:34 AM #39
      Quote, originally posted by xsuperjoex »
      Driver side:
      Passenger side:

excellent!

Vehicles
      1992 Honda Civic with spinner rims
      07-04-2007 10:48 AM #40
      my sht leaks when i turn the rear windshield sprayer on...would this also fix that too?
      instagram @sarpeezy

16. 07-04-2007 11:45 AM #41
      probably not

Vehicles
      08 GTI 4dr
      08-29-2007 11:40 PM #42
      this DIY helped me a crapload! thanks [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '12 F-150 FX4 Super Crew, '11 JSW TDI
      09-16-2007 06:08 PM #43
      It took me forever to find the rear drains on my GTI. If you get behind the car and reach up behind the bumper on the left and right sides you'll feel them. My rears were fine, but the fronts were clogged bad.

19. 03-19-2008 06:58 AM #44
      Many thanks for this wonderful info in this thread.
      Bought my first golf last week and after heavy rain found a pond behind both seats.
      Front drain was blocked and both rear hoses were disconnected.
      Tow bar is fitted and electric cable was going through the rubber grommet not the hose,the hose was loose and water ingress was in the wheel base.
      Looks ok now.
      Many many thanks [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

20. 04-22-2008 02:21 PM #45
      Thanks. Awesome. And to think, I had been suspecting the front drainlines -- which are clear, and the windshield base area, which is clear.
      I look forward to trying this on my '99 Passat Wagon. Will check both the "C" pillars... and the "D" pillars.
      Over this past winter, I accumulated so much water -- about a gallon -- in the driver side footwells -- both front and back -- that six weeks ago I finally resorted to punching small holes in the two plastic/rubber floor pan plugs.
      The water was so high, it got into the plastic enclosure under the FL side for the "passenger convenience" computer (i.e. alarm, windows).
      NOW this symptom makes sense... I get occasional drips from the back center edge of the headliner down onto the cargo area cover.
      PLUS, I have a (possibly related) problem wherein the battery runs down in a day or two -- some kind of short? So now, I disconnect the battery every night, reconnect in the morning, and reset the radio codes. Sheesh.
      Luckily, no headliner staining.
      The car is only just drying out now.
      I should own stock in Febreeze.

21. 04-22-2008 02:24 PM #46
      Comino just bought a car with the problem? Sounds like a strongly worded letter to the ratfink seller is in order. ;-)

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI
      11-09-2008 07:35 PM #47
      Replace the sunroof drain hoses this weekend! I'm a newbie, but this DIY helped out a lot!! For 2 door gti 1.8t you only need to remove backseat handle and back pillar cover to access the drainage hoses.
      Great write up!! Much appreciated!

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      11-26-2008 06:33 PM #48
      I have a Jetta with a right rear drain problem. I've been all over and this looks like the closest thread I can find. I've checked the nipple plenty of times, and it is not that. However, there are no stains in the interior liner. The right rear passenger well is getting soaked every time it rains though, so I think the problem is somewhere "lower" in the car.
      My question is, do I have to disassemble the same thing as in this thread to get to my problem, or is there somewhere else I should start?
      Thanks...

Vehicles
      2001/vw/gti 1.8t
      12-03-2008 10:04 PM #49
      I have a leak in my 2002 jetta. I think from my sunroof. The water is coming coming threw my visor light.

Modified by nosti147 at 7:37 PM 12-3-2008

25. 05-25-2009 09:32 PM #50
      Just did this in my '03 GTI. Thanks a bunch.
      The page for the restraint clip moved. It is now here http://www.42draftdesigns.com/...p.htm.
      I think my problem was actually clogged rear nipples. I couldn't blow through the passenger side hose, and the driver side was bad. There were little maple helicopter seed things in the nipple.
      So, I cut the tip of the nipples off - nothing to get clogged now. You think that's a bad idea? What can go wrong? Spiders crawl in? What else could go UP the hose?
      My advice here is to take apart only enough to check the nipples behind the bumper before pulling your headliner - pinching them from underneath wouldn't fix mine (nor would the weedwacker line trick). Pull them out and clean them. My hose connections in the roof were fine, though as long as I'm in there I'm going to re-run new hose.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast